Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
someone repost that insane thing Starbreeze or whatever wrote about him because I need a good lol today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Hav posted:

Hey baby A/S/L?

do you have any court documents you can expose to me?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

his nibs posted:

do you have any court documents you can expose to me?

I've can show you some evidential submissions and I have dockets you wouldn't believe.

TheAgent posted:

someone repost that insane thing Starbreeze or whatever wrote about him because I need a good lol today

Jade Starwatcher posted:

So i had never heard of you or the forum you post on until someone sent me a link where you were talking about me. Then i saw you have become fascinated by the rise of Rexzilla "seemingly out of nowhere." and the Alex Jones-esque conspiracy theories of him being a paid marketer by CIG's due to an investment in marketing Squadron 42.....

It's almost funny how wrong you have it.

Here are the main reasons:

First of all Rexzilla isn't new to Star Citizen, he backed the game around the same time i did back in 2016 and was a member of an org called Aces High (ACESHI). I know this because my previous org (which i co-founded) used to fight them at Security Post Kareah. So he isn't new, he played the game in 2016 and 2017 but didnt stream it and took a break from it because peformance was poor and all we had were a few on foot PvP areas. He's not a pilot, the FPS aspect of the game appealed to him.

He like me never played any of Chris Roberts old games. i was born in 1995. You should not hold this against me or anyone else who didn't know who Chris Roberts was until they discovered Star Citizen. There are a lot of us and we are a fast growing part of the Star Citizen community.

There is growing new guard due to a perfect storm. The game being playable due to client-side OCS and new game features and environments has brought in a lot of new people. In my case i only became a backer after a woman told me in a Second Life group voice chat that procedural planets were going to be a thing (she sent me a link to the Homestead Demo) and that playable female characters were coming soon with both likely to make an appearance in 3.0 (i know right!?). Knowing nothing of the delays SC has had i enthusiastically pledged in Dec 2016 for an Aurora starter package. Today we have OCS, FPS AI (derpy as it is, its something), 2 landable planets, 9 landable moons and landable planetoid with ourposts, stations even cities with trains and stuff. And i finally get to play with a character which represents me making it all finally immesive. This probably doesn't surprise you but friends i have who are also female and game have held off until they could play with a female character.

Some older streamers and backers see any change as scary and this influx of newer, often younger backers is disruptive to what the Star Citizen community has traditionally been since the Kickstarter.

The reason Rexzilla gets the huge audience he does are because he offers something none of the old guard offered:

a) A positive attitude taking advantage of the sandbox, sci-fi space sim we have today rather than theorycrafting and wishing for what we might have in the future.

So many of the Star Citizen streamers fall into a "negative nancy" mode. i totally get why they're like this, because for most of their streaming life there was no playable game. Old habits die hard and now that there is one its hard for them to break out of this. Instead of taking Chris Roberts seriously when he has repeatedly stated Star Citizen would be a sort of Space Second Life, they spend time talking about delays on gameplay mechanics even though we have cargo and mining.

b) Accessibility. Most of the older Star Citizen streamers have had an air about them of "I'm the streamer, you watch me but that's it." In other words, they kept a wall between themselves and people who might want to join in with what they're doing. Rexzilla has taken the opposite approach, he welcomes everyone to play with him and have epic experiences as a group. i am part of ZDF as well as my own org and i can tell you, we're not actors. We do some light roleplay but we're all there to have a good time. Part of that is following instructions but you have that in any org. My org did the same type of ops on a regular basis, we didn't stream them but they do require willing participants, clear comms and clear leadership. Its the same in the ZDF. Whether we are part of the ground forces or support and combat pilots (those ships you see on his streams are often there to protect the op against stream snipers, i know because i took one down in my Glaive).

c) Personality. Sorry but many of the older guard remind me of my dad trying to play games in the way they interact with the audience. Its boring, even when they are doing something midly interesting because they just don't have the energy or hype level Rex does.

Fear of the new leads to salt. You've seen it and commented on it with reactions to Rex's rise. i've seen it personally on a much smaller level as some people who are fans of TheBase radio station have attacked The Peoples Radio (TPR), the immersive, Star Citizen station i started. Older backers have thrown shade at us even though we're doing something quite different than TheBase in terms of content and our target demographics (newer and younger backers and a more diverse audience in general). This some of this low level salt among older fans of TheBase goes on even though Juntau from TheBase and i get along great and respect each other. In fact he recently had some very nice things to say about us and our quick rise on The Captain's Table. CIG loves our weekly news program (we've been the Staff Pick in the Community Hub on CIG's site and they and even made me an MVP for it one week. Again, it's because we use the game to make immersive content now. Everything is content to us, een bugs. It's that kind of positive attitude the community has responded to both with us and Rexzilla (who gives us shoutouts from time to time).

ZDF as an org is bigger than Rexzilla. It's not just an org, its a movement. The ZDF does a lot of stuff on and off stream not involving Rexzilla. This ranges from Star Marine tournaments to participating in the 50 person pub craw i organized in Star Citizen. Most large orgs with charasmatic leaders would not have responded the way ZDF did when i put the idea out there seeking both security and participants. (i know this having interacted with them in the past). Rexzilla was reachable and their support of the event helped ensure it was success but they were one of like 5 smaller orgs who all contributed to that. We managed to fill a server with people all involved in the event on a day servers were going down left and right due to 30K errors related to an FPS AI mission. Wakapedia from CIG even came in at the end of the pub crawl and let us all in the Million Mile High Club in Area 18 making for more great content both on the stream and for TPR News.

So i guess what i'm saying is this is all organic growth of the game and a demographic change. i had a good conversation the other day on Discord with another content creator when this very subject came up. i asked her what she thought would happen as people who like and play Fortnite now start coming over to playing Star Citizen and she nearly spit her coffee out both because she knows its inevitable and the reaction will be a culture shock not unlike what you're seeing happening now with the emergence of Rex and the ZDF.

A game like this can not be successful based on old money and old salt alone. Too many older backers and streamers are jaded and what Rex has proven is that almost no one wants to watch endless negativity of what is missing from the game when the alternative is watching and/or participating in some epic, community created sandbox gameplay with the amazing locales, weapons and ships CIG has created.

PS: Yes i did buy $10K worth of ships during the height of the cryptocurrency boom the same amount of crypto i used back then is worth about $1500 today. The same foresight that helped me see that Ethereum would be something worth mining and holding on to at the end of 2015 (when it was $0.40 cents and helped me pursuade my boyfriend to start mining and trading before we sold when it went above $1,000 is the same foresight i've used in seeing the long view of this game's development.

Doing the former paid of my student loans. Doing the later will pay off in many years of fun. In some ways, it already has.

i hope this clears things up. i am fairly certain that what we are witnessing isn't some co-ordinated marketing campaign. it's the result of years of game development and an influx of new blood.

if you want, feel free to share this in its entirety.

Sorry Gorf, but I have this and Stimpire text on speed dial.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

TheAgent posted:

rexzilla and the ZDF are straight up loving gone btw and haven't streamed anything remotely related to star citizen since december 17th

but no, no, he's totally an organic guy who just loves star citizen and space games and is obviously just taking a break until he can play with his carrack

I'm sure CIG will re-up his contract the moment Theaters of War drops.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer

Hav posted:

I've can show you some evidential submissions and I have dockets you wouldn't believe.

Sounds like an impeccable set of filings

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
god dammit hav, thank you for that

the whole thing is great but the bitcoin part at the bottom is the fuckin cherry on top of the lol sundae

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I'm sure CIG will re-up his contract the moment Theaters of War drops.
I don't think they'll want people showcasing combat in their game at all, especially when it first opens

its going to be completely loving hilarious

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

his nibs posted:

Sounds like an impeccable set of filings

Absolutely, then you see my motions. - 0898 466 2888
My legal briefs are simply packed - 0898 422 3232
Subpeona, you naughty boy - 0898 466 1211

Edit: Yeah, about Ethereum;

As long as you get out before the suckers, of course you make bank; that's the nature of lovely commodities pretending to be currencies to people with a bare knowledge of either.

That's why Morgan Stanley bought E-trade.

Hav fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Feb 21, 2020

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
its also been 3 months since Theaters of War was announced at CitCon 2019 and it was supposed to be in this patch cycle

lets see how long it gets delayed for

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

TheAgent posted:

its also been 3 months since Theaters of War was announced at CitCon 2019 and it was supposed to be in this patch cycle

The 3rd party studio contracted to make it just got their finished build shipped back to them with a note: "All the doors need to be 3 centimeters wider. JUST DO IT"

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sarsapariller posted:

The 3rd party studio contracted to make it just got their finished build shipped back to them with a note: "All the doors need to be 3 centimeters wider. JUST DO IT"

Note on the ticket says 'Make all doors 3cm wide. Just do it'.

Ob. Spin. Tap. Ref: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAXzzHM8zLw

Hav fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Feb 21, 2020

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

TheAgent posted:

rexzilla and the ZDF are straight up loving gone btw and haven't streamed anything remotely related to star citizen since december 17th

but no, no, he's totally an organic guy who just loves star citizen and space games and is obviously just taking a break until he can play with his carrack

But CIG is making him his own game mode - Theatres of Rexzilla

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

TheAgent posted:

It's already there you fudster!

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

TheAgent posted:

god dammit hav, thank you for that

the whole thing is great but the bitcoin part at the bottom is the fuckin cherry on top of the lol sundae

I'll admit, I hadn't ever read all the way to the bottom. Jesus christ the part about "foresight" with Etherium is mind-boggling lmao

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sarsapariller posted:

Does anybody have the GIF of the crazy door in one of the alien ships? You know the one

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

TheAgent posted:

Can'y delay something that's not on the roadmap to begin with!

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
Is the game out yet?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I'm gonna make a crazy claim.

Theaters of War is never going to come out. It will never be mentioned by CIG again and backers will selectively forget it was ever a thing.

CIG was hoping the response to Theaters of War would be a ton of hype and it could be the saving grace (a'la Fortnite) of this project. When the response was less than overwhelming, with even backers not seeming to care much about it they decided to just never mention it again.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer

Hav posted:

0898 466 2888

pervert

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.
Tane

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Popete posted:

I'm gonna make a crazy claim.

Theaters of War is never going to come out. It will never be mentioned by CIG again and backers will selectively forget it was ever a thing.

CIG was hoping the response to Theaters of War would be a ton of hype and it could be the saving grace (a'la Fortnite) of this project. When the response was less than overwhelming, with even backers not seeming to care much about it they decided to just never mention it again.
I think the real issue is trying to get their networking sorted out

there's a baked in 250ms latency with everything in star citizen right now, which is why the game feels so goddamn clunky to play. trying to get a 25v25 or whatever skirmish to "feel" right means completely removing that

oh and the whole "we're using AWS for this" which is just lol and I would assume for ToW they would need to move away from AWS

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

I'm excited to play THEATERS OF WAR on GOOGLE STADIA with NEGATIVE LATENCY

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

:reddit: :

--there is moving goal post then there is cycling goal post.... the refunds sub knows cycling goal posts....

what argument do you fools have next for us all to laugh at?

the crytek one is dead.

whats next? 90 days tops again?

the goalpost is moving on a activly developed game... yawn.... not enough money... yawn.... game not coming together... tech xyz causing issues.... yawn...

which milestones do we have left? just the server meshing and careers...... hard to keep swinging the same story at those...

maybe we can roleplay on the servers put certain refunds members in the new prisons. play cops and robbers XD

--delusion....

begins clipping and uploading to imgur all the stupid things the refunds group posts....

looks back at evidence..... looks at court evidence.....

crytek lost..... game over man..... the trolls lost.....

you were wrong..... a lot.....

--That profile is hilarious. Looks like he only took a year to go from reasonable observer to outright conspiracy theorist. Maybe the former was just him reigning in his obsession and he was really just another Beer all along.

--Yup, I believed in CIG and I was wrong a lot. Like the post you linked, I actually though cig had 50 mil left, in reality it was what 14?

You linked a post in which I supported CIG and was wrong about it... seriously..... no wonder you believe everything cig says - you dont actually read do you. lol are you for real.

Anyways you enjoy whatever this is. l8r

--

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
the whole stadia thing would not surprise me at all

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

TheAgent posted:

Straight into my veins, baby!

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Hav posted:

Sorry Gorf, but I have this and Stimpire text on speed dial.

:lol:!

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

That long text up there... Simply amazing. Of course you literally want a space Second Life. And of course you actually played Second Life. And of course crypto.

Of course!

E: That, and spending 10k on virtual space ships in a video game is mentioned casually like it's nothing... OF COURSE!

Bronze Fonz fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Feb 21, 2020

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

G0RF posted:

Straight into my veins, baby!

So this is the secret for an eternal scam. The old whales deplete themselves, but a new generation comes along who make fun of the old whales, yet become whales themselves.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
what the gently caress are they doing

quote:

Roadmap Roundup - February 21st, 2020
Happy Friday, everyone!

Each and every week, we accompany the Roadmap update with a brief explanatory note to give you insight into the decision-making that led to any changes. This is part of an effort to make our communications more transparent, more specific, and more insightful for all of you who help to make Star Citizen and Squadron 42 possible.

We're happy to share with you the first handful of features and content slated to arrive with Alpha 4.1. Keep in mind that we plan on additional cards/tasks being added in the coming weeks as some ongoing discussions wrap up. To be more specific, locations/environment require the input of all other teams and what they are aiming to achieve, so they tend to be some of the last to fall into place in planning. Character tasks will also be added following locations, as the character priorities are dependent on the locations included in a patch.

With that said, let's go ahead and dive into this week's Roadmap Roundup!

-CIG Community Team

Notable Changes for February 21st, 2020

New Targeting Methodology
This card has moved to Alpha 4.0 column on the PU Roadmap in order to align with the Ship HUD Rework, as the included Building Blocks UI will be greatly beneficial for this feature.

High Speed Combat
This card has moved to Alpha 4.0 column on the PU Roadmap in order to align with the Ship HUD Rework, as the included Building Blocks UI will be greatly beneficial for this feature.

The Alpha 4.1.0 column has been added to the PU Roadmap, including the following cards:
  • Object Push and Pull | This mechanic allows players to grab a larger object and move it around an environment by either pushing or pulling it.
  • Improved Throw | Improving grenade throwing to make it more accurate and reliable, as well as expanding the throwing mechanic to accommodate other objects in the world.
  • Missile Operator Mode | Missiles will now be controlled under a dedicated missile operator mode, which gives players the option to select and fire specific missiles while operating in ships, such as the Vanguard, which allow for different types of missiles and torpedoes.
  • Ship AI: Hazard Awareness and Avoidance | Improving the AI Avoidance system to identify hazardous entities such as heavily guarded zones, etc. and steer clear of peril accordingly.
  • FPS: Combat Improvements and Polishing | This polishing pass contains final work on behaviors and balancing, as well as bug fixing. The overall goal is to improve the look and feel of character combat in the game.
  • FPS: Realistic Weapon Handling | Adding functionality for AI to evaluate their proficiency with different weapons, use the one best suited to the situation, and manage ammunition accordingly.
  • Mercury Star Runner | Building, implementing, and balancing the Mercury Star Runner as a flight-ready ship.
  • Behring GP-33 Grenade Launcher | Designing and creating the Behring GP-33 grenade launcher. Includes asset creation, animation, and balancing.
  • Greycat FPS Multi-Tool Cutting Attachment | Continued development of the existing Multi-Tool technology that allows players to cut through specific objects. This will primarily include the ability to free-form cut on specific surfaces.
throwing and loving pushing and pulling in a loving space game without a nailed down flight model

jesus christ lol

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
also lol theaters of war is not even on there, at all. zero release date or when to expect it

you might be right that they just dropped it completely like a runny turd

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Hey but at least "free form cutting" will finally be in!

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

trucutru posted:

Does anybody have the GIF of the crazy door in one of the alien ships? You know the one

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

TheAgent posted:

what the gently caress are they doing

throwing and loving pushing and pulling in a loving space game without a nailed down flight model

jesus christ lol

I like that throwing will be based on the grenade mechanic, which only throws half of the time. 10 to 1 someone kills themselves with a turtle.

Also that the missile selection for a missile system that doesn't really work.

4.1 looking good!

e: And don't they already have exciting box throwing gameplay? Or was that just tier 0?

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Oh come on, cargo and mining are in!

Only took 7 years too.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer

Pixelate posted:

Xi'an door bollocks

Maybe Chris saw the opening graphics on The Day Today

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
so uhhhh I guess they haven't thought through this whole prison thing and its supposed to be here in like 4 weeks

looks like you just get killed and "wake up" in the prison

From the Spectrum AMA about Prisons and Prison Gameplay posted:

I'm not able to speak to the long-term right now as it would be speculative at this point, but in the short term what happens will depending on who owns the surrendering ship. If the ship is stolen it will be despawned. If it is owned by a criminal it will be despawned and impounded. All players aboard will be likely be a criminal (if only for harbouring a felon) and wake in prison.
the question is about "what happens when bugs give me unintential crime stats?"

Prisons will certainly focus us on addressing the issues you mention. You certainly shouldn't get crimes in some of the situations you do now. As I've mentioned above, if it becomes clear we unable to correctly attribute blame for certain infractions we would look to fix them or remove them for the time being.

We are also looking into providing players a community service option for those who have only a few infractions so prison time is not the only option.
early days

We will look to identify and address the issues we can (the law system is in its earlier days) and if there are any situation where blame cannot be somewhat definitively apportioned, we will perhaps remove that infraction.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
this whole prison thing is going to be either a) easily circumvented or b) so completely broken it'll get pulled within two or three weeks of it dropping

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

I hope SC allows you to settle your crimes out of court by paying real money. Otherwise I won't be immersed.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
This prison "gameplay" poo poo is going to be nothing but a massively buggy mess that serves as a giant time suck to distract players from the fact that there is nothing to actually do in this game. It will further dissuade players from doing anything interesting for fear they might trigger a criminal flag and have to slog thru it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
also theres nothing in place to stop other players from killing you when you spawn into the prison

so you'll spawn in, die, spawn in, die, spawn in die and I'm sure will be going BOY GOLLY I LOVE CHRIS ROBERTS MASTERPIECE CHRIS ROBERT'S STAR CITIZEN A GAME BY CHRIS ROBERTS