Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
I hate DemonCrawl because one boss fight I had a 50/50 to win and chose the wrong tile. There's too many spots you can get yourself into where you are straight up guessing and I hate that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
every few months i go back to necrodancer for a run. It is so good, just the highest excellence in game design, its hard to play much of it at a time because the focus it demands is so high.

My only real regret about the game is that zone 4 is so amazing and epic and then zone 5 is weird and kind of easy and I wish I could turn it off.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

RoboCicero posted:

DemonCrawl is so close to being incredible but it's so hobbled by wonky balancing and uneven progression. For example, there are a lot of systems in place that mitigate the chip damage from forced guessing, but the fact that they're so heavily dependent on item-progression means that you can very easily end up in a stage 3-8 power stage with no defense, no bonus health, and like...one minion or something. There doesn't seem to be loot balancing so you can exit Stage 1 with 30 gold one run and 3 gold the next (or, god forbid, you start racking up omens).

You also gain Mastery abilities by completing random quest objectives, each of which dramatically decrease the difficulty of the game but which have really difficult unlock conditions.

It's like this snake and ladder style difficulty progression where you headbutt against the difficulty cliff until a lucky roll unlocks a Mastery that lets you cruise through a few games, at which point the randomized difficulty overwhelms your start and you go back to mashing against the cliff.

That being said, I've played like 20 hours so I can't say it's not addicting.

I brought this up in Steam and they told me to git gud at minesweeper.

Have you tried that?

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

PostNouveau posted:

I brought this up in Steam and they told me to git gud at minesweeper.

Have you tried that?

git gud to them must be "already have a profile with 3000+ hours and every item unlocked". I played the game forever it feels and no where close to unlocking everything that would make the game easier. Some runs just die to bad RNG with gold/items though.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

poemdexter posted:

git gud to them must be "already have a profile with 3000+ hours and every item unlocked". I played the game forever it feels and no where close to unlocking everything that would make the game easier. Some runs just die to bad RNG with gold/items though.

Yeah, the genuine advice I have is to back up to the 1st quest and try to complete it with the goal of unlocked Survivor I or Knight I. The first quest is much easier than the other ones.

I dunno about the Spy one. I've never used that, but Survivor or Knight make mistakes (or losing coin flips) a lot less punishing.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

poemdexter posted:

I absolutely adore DemonCrawl but this is entirely true, and I don't actually know if you ever do reach a point where you unlock stuff that makes wins more consistent. Once you get to the Hard quests you have to get some kind of build going that fills you up on souls or defense or armor or minions or something, but aside from the classes giving you a head start there's simply no guarantee.

I've become content with using Pyro every run and just unlocking things or collecting tokens and crafting materials until I die, unless I get one of the two or three items out of hundreds that combos ridiculously well with Pyro and wipes out boards for me. Survivor or Knight or Spy or Banker all provide more opportunities to actually beat quests but I've just gotten used to dying because of bad luck. That's a definite weakness of the game and something the developers should address, but I guess I just like the gameplay loop so much it doesn't bother me here.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

The devs think that without randomness, the entire RPG layer becomes pointless, or at least a crutch for weaker players, and I see where they're coming from - if it was just normal Minesweeper, but with stats for hitting/getting hit, you'd end up just playing normal Minesweeper a majority of the time. They ARE planning on adding a deterministic mode where the maps are always solvable, though, for people who still want that.

Personally, I'm fine with a little bit of guessing, but I feel like the game just has too drat much. It's relatively common to play a 'perfect' game and still die halfway through the first quest. Maybe the game should generate a map, check if it's solvable, and if it isn't, generate a new one. Then check again, regenerate if necessary, and then stop the process there. Still a good number of maps where you need some kind of setup, but not, like, most of the time.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Good job concentrating and thinking through a minesweeper level very well. Now pick a number 1 through 4. If you choose wrong, you lose. Thanks for playing.

I agree with John Lee, there's way too much guessing sometimes. I didn't play minesweeper for 8 levels just to restart because I arbitrarily chose poorly.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

The second level of the spy mastery lets you glean all adjacent cells whenever you chord a 4, which basically removes the need to guess entirely if you use it well.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

As someone who has been speedrunning Minesweeper for a decade and a half if there's no coinflips then the Minesweeper is trivial to solve. Coinflips are still bullshit. The curse of Minesweeper.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Also a lot of the items are laughably useless. I got one the other day that would unlock locked inventory slots IF I clicked on a cell that met a certain condition. Motherfuckers, you get locked inventory slots in like 1 out of 20 games.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

John Lee posted:

The devs think that without randomness, the entire RPG layer becomes pointless, or at least a crutch for weaker players, and I see where they're coming from - if it was just normal Minesweeper, but with stats for hitting/getting hit, you'd end up just playing normal Minesweeper a majority of the time. They ARE planning on adding a deterministic mode where the maps are always solvable, though, for people who still want that.

They did add this, there's a Casual difficulty where you can customize several of the parameters including whether or not boards are solvable without guessing.

quote:

Personally, I'm fine with a little bit of guessing, but I feel like the game just has too drat much. It's relatively common to play a 'perfect' game and still die halfway through the first quest. Maybe the game should generate a map, check if it's solvable, and if it isn't, generate a new one. Then check again, regenerate if necessary, and then stop the process there. Still a good number of maps where you need some kind of setup, but not, like, most of the time.

The funny part is that there's a stage modifier that does that, and I think I've gotten it once in like 45 hours.

PostNouveau posted:

Also a lot of the items are laughably useless. I got one the other day that would unlock locked inventory slots IF I clicked on a cell that met a certain condition. Motherfuckers, you get locked inventory slots in like 1 out of 20 games.

I think this touches on the solution, useful items need to appear more or have a more reliable way of getting them. Having to guess isn't a problem if you have the health or defense to take the hit, or some way to glean cells, or some way to kill monsters, but with the item pool so dense it can be really, really hard to get a build going.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Man, StoneShard is REALLY barebones. I think I'm actually way less interested in playing after looking at the skill tree and seeing how many weapon and magic types are blocked off because they're not in the game at all yet. Give it a year or two when the game has a storyline because right now it's just semi-randomized dungeon crawls that all kind of feel the same

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

No Wave posted:

every few months i go back to necrodancer for a run. It is so good, just the highest excellence in game design, its hard to play much of it at a time because the focus it demands is so high.

My only real regret about the game is that zone 4 is so amazing and epic and then zone 5 is weird and kind of easy and I wish I could turn it off.

Zone 5 should be before 4, at least, because you’re right. 4-3 is such an insane level and the music is so fuckin rad and fast, nothing in zone 5 reaches that level.

zorbus
Feb 12, 2020
http://www.zorbus.net

Zorbus is a traditional, fantasy-themed, turn-based roguelike. It can be played with tiles or ASCII characters, keybindings are configurable and mouse is supported. It has sound effects.

I've just released a big update, changelog: http://www.zorbus.net/Zorbus.txt

Screenshots:
http://www.zorbus.net/gameplay.html

Gameplay videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONHBMoXI3z0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfjzwPnO9Bk

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

welcome to zorbus

this is zorbus

welcome

you can do anything at zorbus

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Oh, I've played zorbus

I offered some early feedback via email, I think the game didn't have sound effects when I last played it. or at least not nearly as many. can you still dual wield spears?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
What's the hook? What's the thing I get from zorbus that I don't get from uhh crawl? It looks a lot like crawl.

God help me I kind of like the skittering footsteps though

zorbus
Feb 12, 2020

MMF Freeway posted:

What's the hook? What's the thing I get from zorbus that I don't get from uhh crawl? It looks a lot like crawl.
It uses parts of the RLTiles tileset which shares many of DCSS tiles. I don't use the same wall/floor tiles, and have modified a lot of tiles to get at least some unique look. I'd much rather have a custom tileset but that's not realistic when you have lots of creatures.

The hook.. I'm at least aiming for good and challenging gameplay in interesting, atmospheric, content filled locations. I'd say the level generation is quite good. Levels are themed. The dungeons have lots of hidden areas behind secret doors. Creatures react to light and sound, and comment to things with speech bubbles. There are sound effects (can be muted).

I understand that these things might have very little value to some players and might even annoy but this is the game I wanted to make.

Some map examples:
http://www.zorbus.net/dungeon.html

IronicDongz,
I remember you. Thanks for the feedback! Yes, you can still dualwield (1-handed) spears. There were no sound effects then.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
tbh I think just having audiovisual feedback on attacks makes a really big difference in these kinds of games and prevents you from just mindlessly mashing into enemies in a pretty big way. I have around 100 dcss wins but nowadays I find it hard to go back to, both due to that and also just having played so much of it.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
In addition to the above nicely wrought Zorbus update:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1062340/KATANA_KAMI_A_Way_of_the_Samurai_Story/

quote:

The Way of the Samurai is forged in battle!
Play as a ronin during Japan's Meiji Restoration in the volatile Rokkotsu Pass. The swordsmith Dojima falls into debt and his beautiful daughter is taken as collateral. Help repay the debt by crafting swords by day and exploring the mysterious, twisting dungeons of the Ipponmatsu Cave for valuable materials at night.

Key Features

Hone Your Skills - Over 100 different weapons and 9 fighting styles means you can fight any way you please!
Mysterious Dungeons - An isometric hack and slash with randomly-generated dungeons to explore in a historical Japanese setting.
Two Swords are Better Than One - Explore dungeons with others
Balance of Power - Ally, betray, or maintain neutrality in dealing with the town's three factions. The fate of Rokkotsu Pass is balanced by the tip of a blade!
Familiar Faces - Featuring fan favorite characters from the Way of the Samurai series!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

zirconmusic posted:

So Stoneshard is on track to be the highest selling and highest grossing roguelike, even beyond Dredmor, at the rate it's growing. 3445 reviews already means it's probably well over 100k units sold in less than a week. Absolutely surreal.

Well, it's 7000 reviews already.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Japanese Moonlighter?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
What was that game that was in an ascii style (NOT ascii though) and it was lovecraftian? It looked really good for being a glorified ascii game

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

What was that game that was in an ascii style (NOT ascii though) and it was lovecraftian? It looked really good for being a glorified ascii game

Door in the Woods?

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Is Infra Arcana ascii?

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

Infra Arcana?

https://sites.google.com/site/infraarcana/home

E:fb.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
infra arcana good

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's one of my favorites, yeah. door in the woods is also neat.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
World of Horror - excuse me, WORLD OF HORROR - is now on early access on Steam and I think it's quite decent already. It also has permadeath, which makes it clearly a roguelite. :v:

Black and white cosmic horror adventure-ish game with simple turn-based combat. You have to solve a randomized selection of horror mysteries to get to the endgame and, presumably, prevent an (also variable) elder god from returning to the world. The art's pretty nifty and there's at least enough content so far I haven't had a lot of repetition yet. Still EA though, so there's probably an awful lot of content yet to be added.

it's also been in development for a while, here's an RPS article from three years ago

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/01/13/world-of-horror-inspired-by-junji-tio/

combat's gotten substantially more involved and interesting since then, for one thing

more recent article: https://www.pcgamer.com/world-of-horror-a-creepy-1-bit-style-horror-rpg-will-release-next-month/

apparently only ten mysteries in so far, darn

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

I'm watching this one with interest, the trailer makes it look like a roguelike version of Arkham Horror with most of the Lovecraft replaced by Junji Ito.

e: To anyone who doesn't know Junji Ito, congratulations, you are one of today's (un)lucky ten thousand. Read this fun comic!

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

poemdexter posted:

Japanese Moonlighter?

Looks like it

Big shoutout to Microsoft Game Pass which has a fair number of Roguelikes on it including Dead Cells and Moonlighter, been on a binge lately. Moonlighter kind of sucks, the combat is way too weird and janky. Attacks only come out in specific directions while enemies can move all over, so for most of the early game enemies will walk diagonally into you while you swing and miss at them because they aren't directly in one of your very angular damage zones. The best weapons are the ones that have an arc to them so you can actually hit enemies.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Looks like it

Big shoutout to Microsoft Game Pass which has a fair number of Roguelikes on it including Dead Cells and Moonlighter, been on a binge lately. Moonlighter kind of sucks, the combat is way too weird and janky. Attacks only come out in specific directions while enemies can move all over, so for most of the early game enemies will walk diagonally into you while you swing and miss at them because they aren't directly in one of your very angular damage zones. The best weapons are the ones that have an arc to them so you can actually hit enemies.

My beef with moonlighter is that after the first dungeon, I realized the rest of the dungeons were just reskinned versions of the first. Slightly different enemy types, but there wasn't anything new for myself besides just bigger numbers.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
So, there’s a game I didn’t even know was in dev till yesterday. Came out on the nineteenth from acquire corp and spike chunsoft- you know, of mystery dungeon and dangan ronpa.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1062340/KATANA_KAMI_A_Way_of_the_Samurai_Story/

http://spike-chunsoft.com/KATANAKAMI/

From what I’ve seen it is an unexpected rogue-lite mix of Way of The Samurai and Mysterious Dungeon. Maybe 25% mystery dungeon, 50% way of the samurai, and 25% recettear/moonlighted/something else. I’m a bit confused by it, honestly, but I haven’t slept for nearing 24 hours. Two streams I did catch seemed to enjoy, but I didn’t seem much mid game content, just early tutorial/story.

Might be interesting. Totally out of left field. I was hoping for a PC Shiren for years, and then completely out of the blue this gets a simultaneous ps4/switch/steam release.

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

LordSloth posted:

So, there’s a game I didn’t even know was in dev till yesterday. Came out on the nineteenth from acquire corp and spike chunsoft- you know, of mystery dungeon and dangan ronpa.

From what I’ve seen it is an unexpected rogue-lite mix of Way of The Samurai and Mysterious Dungeon. Maybe 25% mystery dungeon, 50% way of the samurai, and 25% recettear/moonlighted/something else. I’m a bit confused by it, honestly, but I haven’t slept for nearing 24 hours. Two streams I did catch seemed to enjoy, but I didn’t seem much mid game content, just early tutorial/story.

Might be interesting. Totally out of left field. I was hoping for a PC Shiren for years, and then completely out of the blue this gets a simultaneous ps4/switch/steam release.

This was literally just mentioned on this same page

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

pumpinglemma posted:

I'm watching this one with interest, the trailer makes it look like a roguelike version of Arkham Horror with most of the Lovecraft replaced by Junji Ito.

e: To anyone who doesn't know Junji Ito, congratulations, you are one of today's (un)lucky ten thousand. Read this fun comic!

This game was made for me!

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Groovelord Neato posted:

This game was made for me!

Played a first run of it this morning and had to go to work. It's got a ton of potential and is really good already, although there's clearly some alpha status there as some menus don't work properly. Really impressive so far though.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch

LordSloth posted:

I played it for about a half hour before I put in a refund request, much to my disappointment. It looks pretty good and controlled pretty smoothly with a controller, but it felt super boring. I might look back in on it in a few months.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
first WORLD OF HORROR win on the lowest difficulty :toot:

The gameplay isn't super deep (you can win/survive combat without engaging with too much in the way of more complicated mechanics) and there are only twelve? sub-mysteries in the game right now, but the first couple runs are very cool, the art and atmosphere owns, and I suspect that as more stuff unlocks / I try to finish with different characters and adversaries a little more strategy will reveal itself. If nothing else, getting a grasp of how much Doom / time you can use up is going to be really, really key.

And of course it's early access. There are plans to hit at least 20 mysteries, a whole bunch more random events, and other content.

I think it's probably worth $15 in its current form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Yeah world of horror is pretty neat. The combat is pretty meh, but it really nails junji's tone of 'this small Japanese town is hosed'. I finished all 3 of the pre-made scenarios and my only complaint is too much of the content repeated. But I tried the custom campaign and I don't know how valid that complaint is because there are multiple 'decks' of cards that I haven't unlocked and the mysteries themselves are started to get more intricate.

I can't wait to see what people do with mods.

[e] some of the combat UI stuff urks me though. There's no sound effects for hits and the log doesn't tell you how much a monster hit you for so keeping up with what happened in combat is more difficult than it needs to be. There's also a huge missed opportunity because they don't really do anything fun with the descriptions really.

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Feb 21, 2020