Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

gurney or bust

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

lmao this is very bad

It sounds possible that the true origin of the outbreak may be in some country that is so impoverished that it's normal to die in your forties from heart hookworm or something, and they haven't noticed one more blight because they already have so many of them

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

AceOfFlames posted:

Ok, seriously now, is there a source for this? Because those percentages look way too high.

Looks like the table was from the MERS coronavirus not this more recent version.

Here's one of the few tables I was able to find online from when the confirmed infection count was 44000:

https://www.inquirer.com/health/coronavirus-children-death-flu-immune-20200219.html

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

galenanorth posted:

It sounds possible that the true origin of the outbreak may be in some country that is so impoverished that it's normal to die in your forties from heart hookworm or something, and they haven't noticed one more blight because they already have so many of them

nah its definitely from china, or it would have been discovered in travelers in the rest of the world with no connection to China long before this. this just means that the disease has been spreading in Iran undetected for awhile, but Iran and China have a pretty close economic relationship so probably some business traveler from Wuhan a few weeks ago started it.

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

AceOfFlames posted:

To summarize:

Between 10 and 40: Not a lot to worry about
Under 10 or between 40-50: Percentage of death high enough for concern
Over 50: Fuuuuuuuuuuuuucked

5-8% chance of death not a lot to worry about

(Also not COVID in case anyone sees this and starts freaking out)

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

nah its definitely from china, or it would have been discovered in travelers in the rest of the world with no connection to China long before this. this just means that the disease has been spreading in Iran undetected for awhile, but Iran and China have a pretty close economic relationship so probably some business traveler from Wuhan a few weeks ago started it.

Plus the disease had a whole month to spread (dec time frame) before alarms got thrown in China thanks to Chinese cover-ups and persecuting doctors who noticed something off.

Hubei also had around ~5 million visitors enter and leave due to Chinese new year celebration before the novel coronavirus became public.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Vishass posted:

Not great not terrible

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/bnodesk/status/1230984826599215106?s=21

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

So Italy is the current European epicenter. Who would have thought?

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Feb 21, 2020

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

AceOfFlames posted:

So Italy is the current European epicenter. Who would have thought?

Yeah I am just as shocked as I was about Iran.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

:rip: baw

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Vishass posted:

It's just like playing russian roulette with one bullet in a high capacity 9mm automatic. Not too bad IMO.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Wakko posted:

looking forward to the prepper goons discovering what eating nothing but rice is like

Two months ago my dad told me about how he's prepping for power outages and how he'd set up a grain bin with chicken feed for the chickens he has and was getting rabbits for meat as well and I'm sure he's feeling insanely smug right now

rump buttman
Feb 14, 2018

I just wish I had time for one more bowl of chili

mastershakeman posted:

Two months ago my dad told me about how he's prepping for power outages and how he'd set up a grain bin with chicken feed for the chickens he has and was getting rabbits for meat as well and I'm sure he's feeling insanely smug right now

what have you done with your life?

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
i won't be concerned about my food supply until this starts disturbing the digiorno pizza supply chains

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you can take my life, but you'll never take my pizza rolls

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

mamma mia!

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
https://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2020/02/21/first-case-coronavirus-sacramento-county

nice to know you all

RIP me

my lungs will not be able to survive coronavirus lol

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Siljmonster posted:

https://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2020/02/21/first-case-coronavirus-sacramento-county

nice to know you all

RIP me

my lungs will not be able to survive coronavirus lol

im going to sacramento next week for a chapo show :rip:

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

AceOfFlames posted:

Tory conferences.

It would be revolting to go to one but I'd do it for corona chan

Ogantai
Apr 21, 2003

Full of bologna

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1230881033781993473

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Sinteres posted:

Same energy:

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/742034549232766976?lang=en

People who seem happy that shitloads of people around the world are going to die are really weird.

lol shut the gently caress up

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
maybe if we just say it was this number, but no it was this number, but no actually we add some and subtract some from that number and then maybe thats the number if you dont check our work, maybe thats the number

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

he was 77 years old!!!!!

im young and got a spring in my step, i'll be fine

Mrs. Dash
Apr 11, 2009

Bip Roberts posted:

It's just like playing russian roulette with one bullet in a high capacity 9mm automatic. Not too bad IMO.

A TFR representative is coming to write a three paragraph essay about how automatic pistols work, he will be here shortly.

rump buttman
Feb 14, 2018

I just wish I had time for one more bowl of chili

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JV938U4Y96w

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

https://twitter.com/NBC10Boston/status/1230205007888355328

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I really think a lot of people are underestimating how much this is going to gently caress the economy. Like if you have a retirement plan I would highly suggest moving into an ultra conservative investment plan ASAP and watch for a few months.

The worst that happens is you don’t make that 6% for 3 months but if the economy takes a huge poo poo you’ll be more reasonably safe vs doing nothing at all.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

that's numberwang!

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

Mrs. Dash posted:

A TFR representative is coming to write a three paragraph essay about how automatic pistols work, he will be here shortly.

Hi it’s me and yeah as long as you go second you’ll be fine!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

born to infect
world is hosed
武漢 kill em all 2020
i am nucov-19
40,000,000,000 dead humans

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋
This is shaping up to be a pretty good movie so far!

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

SKULL.GIF posted:

born to infect
world is hosed
武漢 kill em all 2020
i am nucov-19

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

SKULL.GIF posted:

born to infect
world is hosed
武漢 kill em all 2020
i am nucov-19

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

BBC posted:

The head of the World Health Organization (WHO) has expressed concern at the number of coronavirus cases with no clear link to China or other confirmed cases.

have you considered not bungling every single response at all ever at every opportunity, and instead giving every boomer a free cruise ticket

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

born to infect
world is hosed
武漢 kill em all 2020
i am nucov-19

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

SKULL.GIF posted:

born to infect
world is hosed
武漢 kill em all 2020
i am nucov-19

Where is the caffeepress link?

hexate
Sep 13, 2012

What do you mean it's not Tom Cruise?

This crisis could be prevented if only boomers' immune systems would pull themselves up by their bootstraps and get back to work.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

TODD BONZALEZ posted:

I'm trying to think of the UK equivalent of a Golden Corral where all the boomers go in case I get this. Wetherspoons? Gala Bingo?

question time audience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Doorknob Slobber posted:

maybe if we just say it was this number, but no it was this number, but no actually we add some and subtract some from that number and then maybe thats the number if you dont check our work, maybe thats the number

That's how corona-chan gets you. She finds your number. Changer your number enough, can't getcha.

*head-tap.jpg*