Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon

ItBreathes posted:

Most of the time getting a new ability just lets you open some doors, which often have other locked doors behind them since Zebes is an alien base, not a level for Samus to progress through.

Huh. I've wondered about why they even bother to place, say, green doors long after the point where you should have Super Missiles. Or how pointless red doors are after the first fifteen minutes of the game. Never thought of it like that, though. Do they all happen to line up with "important" locations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

magikid posted:

Huh. I've wondered about why they even bother to place, say, green doors long after the point where you should have Super Missiles. Or how pointless red doors are after the first fifteen minutes of the game. Never thought of it like that, though. Do they all happen to line up with "important" locations?

It's the language of the game and you can put lore behind it if you want. Blue is hallways, the other doors are items with higher colors (aside from initial locking) generally meaning bigger items

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
I'd have to agree with Nat; the "troll room" is as close as the game comes to mandatory x-ray scope room. Unless you've played the game before, of course, in which case it seems obvious that the third plant without the grabber is odd.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

The triumphant theme of constantly getting dunked on.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Bremen posted:

I'd have to agree with Nat; the "troll room" is as close as the game comes to mandatory x-ray scope room. Unless you've played the game before, of course, in which case it seems obvious that the third plant without the grabber is odd.

I enjoyed that due to the limited range of the scope he first scanned the end of that room in the one spot where it couldn't reach the hole.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Its been about a day since my last crime. So here's another one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXqXKi8dnqQ

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Some of those tricky jumps make me grateful that they enabled ledge grabbing in Fusion and Zero Mission. And on the subject of wall jumping, you guys should try some of the Mega Man Zero games next.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
I hope you guys are planning on watching a 100% speedrun of this game. To give you an idea of how crazy it is, the current route hits the Wrecked Ship around 20 minutes in without the grapple beam.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Bruceski posted:

I enjoyed that due to the limited range of the scope he first scanned the end of that room in the one spot where it couldn't reach the hole.

My internal monologue was just endless screaming at that point. Troll room indeed. Should be interesting to see how the next area goes since a major upgrade stored there takes some poking around to find.

Let's Play Super Metroid Blind: In space the LPer can't hear you scream
or
Let's Play Super Metroid Blind: Break sequencing the sequence break with parkour

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Bremen posted:

But Yorkshire Tea is right, there was a big visual clue in that room. You could stumble over this by using power bombs as a sort of replacement for the x-ray scope (which I did in quite a few rooms where I couldn't see a way to progress in my first Super Metroid playthrough). The room is certainly suspicious enough. But even if you don't (and I didn't as a kid), you can remember that this room exists once you get the x-ray scope, and scan it. Of course, Natural20 stood at one of the few points where a scan of the room didn't show the secret at first, but you can't fault the game for that.

Some of the other secret missile packs/energy tanks/etc. are certainly a lot more well hidden. This might be the only half-mandatory x-ray scope room, but I'd argue that it's much easier to find these power bombs without the x-ray scope than a lot of the other items just scattered around the game.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Feb 20, 2020

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Odd man out style puzzles have been a goddamn staple since forever, so this one has to be chalked up to Nat simultaneously overthinking everything while completely missing what the game is trying to tell him.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Speaking as someone who also didn't get the "troll room" (I'm also mostly blind on SM, and watching this LP is basically my first experience with the game), I feel like this one is on us, Nat. The signs were there, we just didn't pick up on them.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

As a kid I got the power bomb pack by not being careful with my positioning and dropping a power bomb right over the fake rafflesia and falling in. However in a blind run my friend had no trouble going "wait, why isn't there a thing in the third one? That's weird."

I'm not going to say it's "obvious", especially since I remember it pretty clearly nowadays, but the game did put up signposts if you're on the right wavelength to see them.

Also Nat scanning every part of the room but the secret passage with the X-Ray Scope was :discourse: as hell

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Omnicrom posted:

I'm not going to say it's "obvious", especially since I remember it pretty clearly nowadays, but the game did put up signposts if you're on the right wavelength to see them.

Also, it's a power bomb pack. If that were for progression it would be much more egregious. I'm not going to rake this game over the coals for every missile pack Nat doesn't spot.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

The bigger issue is that previously those plants have been shown to do damage so the sign-posting in this room goes against the sign-posting the game has previously established.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

SSNeoman posted:

The bigger issue is that previously those plants have been shown to do damage so the sign-posting in this room goes against the sign-posting the game has previously established.

In my memory I always remember that plant as not moving which would make it more obviously fake. Not the case though.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

SSNeoman posted:

These power bombs are certainly better hidden than a lot of other items, but is that a negative? Calling this room a "troll room" when there is a hint in that one plant being empty in contrast to the other two seems like an overreaction. I'd say this is an appropriate level of obfuscation for a wholly optional power bomb pack. I think I'm just a bit baffled by Natural20 when he says something like "these are superfluous rooms/passages, there should at least be an item hidden as a reward". Then a quick search doesn't detect any items, and he concludes that there must not be any, and basically faults the devs for bad game design, when in reality there are items there, and he just hasn't found them.

But to get back to the "troll room", Natural20 did find the bomb pack, even if he had to use the x-ray scope to do so. That's fine I think. And I want to add, he's making good progress for a blind run. He's missed a number of optional item packs, but that's to be expected for a first playthrough. Yet he got to the Wrecked Ship in a very reasonable time. At this pace, he'll easily finish this LP next month. But he'll not find all the secrets in the game, and nobody should expect him to. I'm really enjoying this LP so far :)

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I feel Nat and Tea are at their best when doing games that let them just explore and be amazed and frustrated with what they find. I'm really enjoying this LP - and as someone who never finished this game I fully understand the frustration with some of the logic when it comes to hiding secrets and paths. Guess game design really did change since the nineties.

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon
Remember a lot of these games -- especially older games -- are meant to be replayed. One of the joys of replaying Super Metroid is suddenly finding more missile packs you don't need.

HomestarCanter
Oct 21, 2008

Strong Bad,
you're a horse's twees.

pointlessone posted:

I hope you guys are planning on watching a 100% speedrun of this game. To give you an idea of how crazy it is, the current route hits the Wrecked Ship around 20 minutes in without the grapple beam.

Oh, yes, please do this. For even more crazy, check out any of the TAS to see the game pushed to its breaking point.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

My God you almost avoided that, I held my breath the first time you selected super missiles then switched back.

Yeah, you don't want to do that. He's got even less health than Kraid but between the tiny arena, short vulnerability windows that are usually blocked by a fireball, it suuuuuuuucks.

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012
Anyone else mildly annoyed that Nat doesn't use the charge beam more often to freeze tougher enemies?

Also that Gravity Suit exit was such a dick move.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Zernach posted:

Anyone else mildly annoyed that Nat doesn't use the charge beam more often to freeze tougher enemies?

Also that Gravity Suit exit was such a dick move.

I personally am always charging, but I know people don't like the charging sounds for this or Mega Man games so maybe that's why they're using it sparingly?

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I was gonna say the rising and falling spikes which you can't jump on the top of for whatever reason followed Thwomp rules, but upon a visit to the Mario wiki, those weird ridges all over the Thwomps are apparently spikes. Thought they were just sentient sophisticated angry fuckoff blocks whose power came solely from the velocity from which they fell on people until now.

Shitenshi fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Feb 22, 2020

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

With the Gravity Suit you can get almost everywhere in the game now

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Shitenshi posted:

I was gonna say the rising and falling spikes which you can't jump on the top of for whatever reason followed Thwomp rules, but upon a visit to the Mario wiki, those weird ridges all over the Thwomps are apparently spikes. Thought they were just sentient sophisticated angry fuckoff blocks whose power came solely from the velocity from which they fell on people until now.

It's inconsistent. In the 3D games they tend to just be ridges, in the 2D games they're spikes.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
Something that's not obvious about Phantoon is that if you hit him with a supermissile he cancels out of his current pattern and does that whole bullet hell pattern while invulnerable that gave you so much trouble. Charge beams and normal missiles don't have the same result.

On the plus side, as you found out it only takes a few supermissile hits to kill him.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

"Its a thing in this game"

Perfect.

I thought you could stand on those things, no?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

ItBreathes posted:

I thought you could stand on those things, no?

I think trying to jump on them without the gravity suit was landing Samus within the hurtbox of the spikes, not the actual top of the platform?

Or maybe its something with the PAL version?

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

pointlessone posted:

Oof. This LP got me to bust out my old SNES and copy of this game, and I managed to improve my best 100% time to 1:30, which is pretty good, but not speedrun-caliber.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Since speedruns have come up in the LP now, I went ahead and watched the top one.

JFC. :pusheen:

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I am totally, without reservations, excited for Nat 20 to watch the world record Super Metroid any% just to see him lose his goddamn mind. For those not hip to the current Speedrun route for that category just know for starters it gets its first power bombs eight and a half minutes into the run.

Meanwhile in this playthrough I'm rather pleased with Nat finally starting to get hip to the groove of the game. And using the X-Ray visor more.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Omnicrom posted:

I am totally, without reservations, excited for Nat 20 to watch the world record Super Metroid any% just to see him lose his goddamn mind. For those not hip to the current Speedrun route for that category just know for starters it gets its first power bombs eight and a half minutes into the run.

Meanwhile in this playthrough I'm rather pleased with Nat finally starting to get hip to the groove of the game. And using the X-Ray visor more.

I'd watch a "Nat20-reacts" video.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

If you don't consider reading the manual spoilers, you wouldn't consider this spoilers either. But I'm still sticking it behind a tag to be safe.

Nat 20, have you taken the time to let the intro demo loop a bunch of times instead of immediately pressing start?
Additional to that more clips unlock after you beat the game, or maybe it's just progress based, I dunno..

It'd be pretty interesting to hear your response to those.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

wait you aren't not charging for courtesy, but because you can't claw the controller?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
It's time for my favorite part of the game: wandering vaguely in a direction!

Seriously, I loved Maridia. It was the first point where you don't feel threatened by much of anything and you can actually explore, at the same time as having the world basically wide open.

Those stupid sand pits though...