Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

explosivo posted:

Now my next biggest issue is what goddamn cards I should be using and when :sweatdrop:

I just slam my best +Damage or +Idle Attack damage cards to push real deep for unlocks (Spelunking! one of the early rewards is a big damage boost) and good gold returns. I'm about halfway through the Dungeon where I have my maximum gold/hr at 531T gold/hour idling on my third ascension. I want to do a bunch of gold upgrading and then do a few shorter ascensions to crank out some ascension perks. I'll try to remember to swap into +AP cards before I rebirth I guess?

I lucked into a Demon X card from the hardest Raid battle - gives 120% damage (not idle damage) at 3*. I did swap out a +idle attack speed for one of my +idle damage, and although I had to drop back a couple zones, my Gold/hr was slightly higher for 2* spd vs. 3* damage

HIGHLY recommend prioritizing the Limbo shop unlocks to let you idle zones.

Make sure you've got all your potions covered, if you have a missing one here or there look up how to get it easiest:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1bgGR6ZbQG2TLRTwy6uGoRxSRtmmg9iqRFikExs59CQo/edit#gid=1908858945

A couple of the early ones I was missing were pretty game-changing (like botany speed and a couple damage ones)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Devor posted:

I just slam my best +Damage or +Idle Attack damage cards to push real deep for unlocks (Spelunking! one of the early rewards is a big damage boost) and good gold returns. I'm about halfway through the Dungeon where I have my maximum gold/hr at 531T gold/hour idling on my third ascension. I want to do a bunch of gold upgrading and then do a few shorter ascensions to crank out some ascension perks. I'll try to remember to swap into +AP cards before I rebirth I guess?

I lucked into a Demon X card from the hardest Raid battle - gives 120% damage (not idle damage) at 3*. I did swap out a +idle attack speed for one of my +idle damage, and although I had to drop back a couple zones, my Gold/hr was slightly higher for 2* spd vs. 3* damage

HIGHLY recommend prioritizing the Limbo shop unlocks to let you idle zones.

Make sure you've got all your potions covered, if you have a missing one here or there look up how to get it easiest:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1bgGR6ZbQG2TLRTwy6uGoRxSRtmmg9iqRFikExs59CQo/edit#gid=1908858945

A couple of the early ones I was missing were pretty game-changing (like botany speed and a couple damage ones)

Thank you for this, I was getting frustrated with the potions UI and not easily being able to tell what materials you already tried mashing together so this is exactly what I was looking for. I have the first 3 zone idle upgrades, just got mist mountains this go-around so that has been extremely helpful. Spelunking is the new thing for me that I'm not quite sure if it just takes a while to get going or what, the upgrades all require a ton of resources and I'm pulling in like 12 per delve right now. I will say in spite of all the UI funkiness I am really enjoying this game so far. I'm kind of curious to see how much more there is to it though because I am close to the second to last zone as far as I can tell. I have to assume more open up at a certain point though and it turns out i'm not even halfway through the game like NGU's hard mode or something.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Feb 20, 2020

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

explosivo posted:

Thank you for this, I was getting frustrated with the potions UI and not easily being able to tell what materials you already tried mashing together so this is exactly what I was looking for. I have the first 3 zone idle upgrades, just got mist mountains this go-around so that has been extremely helpful. Spelunking is the new thing for me that I'm not quite sure if it just takes a while to get going or what, the upgrades all require a ton of resources and I'm pulling in like 12 per delve right now. I will say in spite of all the UI funkiness I am really enjoying this game so far. I'm kind of curious to see how much more there is to it though because I am close to the second to last zone as far as I can tell. I have to assume more open up at a certain point though and it turns out i'm not even halfway through the game like NGU's hard mode or something.

I think you're a little bit ahead of me in Spelunking

Since the machines let you convert treasures of high rarity into low rarity at 3:1 per step - you are heavily rewarded for going up to rarer treasures to earn - which you get by having more points of depth, and more value multiplier. If you find 10 R3 treasures, that's 90 R1 treasures after you convert.

The unlock that gives damage per spirit skiller luck point is absolutely absurd. Also something is giving me more Maximum luck for the spirit skillers - I think raising the spirit level raises the max? But make sure you go back and top up their luck levels - it got me another few monsters' depth and like 20% more gold per hour.

I'm psyched for when I unlock the 3rd genetic trait for pets - I like hunting for the perfect dudes to help with the match-3 metagame. 3x fire fists gives +250% damage for fire fists - makes bosses die really really fast.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Jesus christ I just realized it's just regular ore I need to upgrade the machines, I've been mining the advanced stuff and had no copper so I'm looking at the materials needed to build the first machine and i was at like 45/1M and presumed that meant whatever that icon was was for an item I had to delve to get more of. :cripes:

I really do wish this game had long press tooltips on the icons because sometimes it's just so friggin hard to tell what it is I actually need for a thing.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
will bars (especially R3 bars) ever be less bad

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Digital Jedi posted:

Going to start up NGU for the first time

Any good guide out there to follow?

There’s a Wiki which has a really good new player section.

Don’t be scared if you read past the section you’re on and it confuses you. It’s that kind of game.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I just got Flubber :smith:

I just got Flubber to level 100 :unsmith:

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

professor metis posted:

I just got Flubber :smith:

I just got Flubber to level 100 :unsmith:

It might be a tiny source of respawn, but it gets really, really hard to bring down the respawn time through non-accessory means.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Francis posted:

will bars (especially R3 bars) ever be less bad

When you hit hit the hard cap for energy and magic cap you stop needing magic and energy bars. Oh and cap too.

So when you just need EM power and R3 stuff r3 bars aren't too bad to keep up. Early sad is when this happens.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

pixaal posted:

When you hit hit the hard cap for energy and magic cap you stop needing magic and energy bars. Oh and cap too.

So when you just need EM power and R3 stuff r3 bars aren't too bad to keep up. Early sad is when this happens.

Depends, honestly. I'm still about 3 qi away from the caps and I'm pretty deep into sadistic at this point (IT HUNGERS v1 is on autokill). I just don't rebirth much so I'm missing out on a lot of macguffin bonuses.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Im not even half way to It Hungers AK but i have been capped on energy for like a month now.

Id have 13e18 or so if there was no cap, im using the gear optimizer and optimize towards a single stat per gear set but i cant find any way of making it not go over the caps. Not sure if it would change the gear selection in any way, the extra caps is simply a side effect of using the highest level gear.

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
shs, your new game is really interesting. Are you planning on resetting saves, bc if so I don't wanna go too deep in it.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
shs' new idle is pretty cool and kinda reminds me of Trimps in a way. It's unfortunate then that it's inexplicably super resource intensive (on my end at least) and has this awful lag when trying to do anything. Not like processing lag, but actual delay keeping up with wherever my mouse is and then it takes a little bit to register inputs as well. Since no one else has mentioned this, it might just be me though.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Dragonatrix posted:

shs' new idle is pretty cool and kinda reminds me of Trimps in a way. It's unfortunate then that it's inexplicably super resource intensive (on my end at least) and has this awful lag when trying to do anything. Not like processing lag, but actual delay keeping up with wherever my mouse is and then it takes a little bit to register inputs as well. Since no one else has mentioned this, it might just be me though.

Yeah I feel like it takes forever to register each click

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Lone Goat posted:

Yeah I feel like it takes forever to register each click

this isn't an issue for me, running on chrome in windows 10

I'd love to have some tooltips in a few places though

shs
Feb 14, 2012
Compared to every other browser game I've made, this one is probably the least resource intensive, so performance issues are strange. Maybe check if your browser has hardware acceleration enabled, or if there's something else that's using webgl. Is it specific menus (such as buildings and upgrades) or the entire game? Between Chrome / FireFox / Opera, you could try one of the three that you aren't currently using. Or perhaps try dragging the game's tab out into its own window. Then maybe yell at your monitor and curse a lot.

Elswyyr posted:

shs, your new game is really interesting. Are you planning on resetting saves, bc if so I don't wanna go too deep in it.

I don't plan to reset saves, and unless some major issue is uncovered in the next few days, I'm probably going to release it next week. "Release" in this case meaning I'm confident there aren't any game breaking issues. I'll still likely be making minor changes and adjustments for a few weeks afterwards.

The Fool posted:

I'd love to have some tooltips in a few places though

I can add tips anywhere you'd like, just give me ideas.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

The Fool posted:

Like by "forever" it's less than one second but still way too long, chrome on win 7

shs
Feb 14, 2012
I uploaded build 104 of Return of Hero. It has a few small adjustments. Maybe one of them will help. Running the non-iframe version might do something. The inner workings of the game are relatively basic so technical issues are likely something browser / driver / extension / hardware related.

If you're having issues, is it just input delay? Or is the game running slow? If you have the dungeon menu open, Hero and the monsters' radial filling attack timers should fill in very smoothly and evenly. If they're choppy and uneven, that's probably a performance issue.

shs
Feb 14, 2012
edit: hmm woops

shs fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Feb 21, 2020

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

shs posted:

I created an Android beta test version for Return of Hero. I've never used Android's beta stuff before. I think you just click on the link and eventually it'll give you the game. If someone wanted to try it on iOS, I could probably set up a test flight without too much effort, but I'd need your email.

If you played the web version and created a cloud save account, you should be able to move between platforms without issue. If you played the web version and had issues, maybe try the Android version instead, either with a device or an emulator. The engine I use (Unity) is actually designed for mobile games, while the web export is mostly an afterthought. It should perform better. Probably.

I clicked the link and it said app not available

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

shs posted:

I created an Android beta test version for Return of Hero. I've never used Android's beta stuff before. I think you just click on the link and eventually it'll give you the game. If someone wanted to try it on iOS, I could probably set up a test flight without too much effort, but I'd need your email.

If you played the web version and created a cloud save account, you should be able to move between platforms without issue. If you played the web version and had issues, maybe try the Android version instead, either with a device or an emulator. The engine I use (Unity) is actually designed for mobile games, while the web export is mostly an afterthought. It should perform better. Probably.

Unity was designed for prototyping, you used to have to install it, like flash and the browser integration was really good. Browsers got rid of this level of intergration because it was a security nightmare and Unity released a half assed webGL port while they shifted focus to console PC and that took a decade to polish. With the rise of mobile they have put more focus on it than webGL (which is pretty much an on life support platform for Unity). But saying it was primarily intended for mobile is a massive joke.

Lots of things use Unity now, including Hearthstone, it's a solid engine now but the biggest performance on it is PC (not browser) and PS4.

shs
Feb 14, 2012

Lone Goat posted:

I clicked the link and it said app not available

It turns out I don't really understand how google play beta stuff works. I'm going to attempt to fix it and try again later today or tomorrow.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

shs posted:

It turns out I don't really understand how google play beta stuff works. I'm going to attempt to fix it and try again later today or tomorrow.

Link works for me now

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

shs posted:

I can add tips anywhere you'd like, just give me ideas.

How do you level up Factions

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

MikusR posted:

The second tier 3 building gives XP for that.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Just got to Sadistic in NGU. What is the boss multiplier? What does it affect etc.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Just got to Sadistic in NGU. What is the boss multiplier? What does it affect etc.

It's the top two lines on what makes your NUMBER for your next rebirth.

e.g. in Normal your boss multiplier is 2, so your NUMBER from bosses is 2^(boss reached). In Evil your boss multiplier is 1.5, in Sadistic it starts at a measly 1.2.

Since it's exponential in the number of bosses killed, a small change can lead to big gains ... but it's still just a small boost rather than a big one in the amounts that the perks etc. give you.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Ah. So sadistic makes your Number go up slower. Makes sense. Does it have any other affect? I guess only indirectly through Number.

shs
Feb 14, 2012
My android beta link seems to work now if anyone is interested in that. If you have a cloud save login, you should be able to move between platforms without issue. From my limited experience, BlueStacks runs the game with no problems. That might be something to consider if you had issues with the web version.

MikusR posted:

The Recruitment Office is the first building that gives that kind of experience. Some of the badge icons are kind of similar looking so it might be easy to overlook.

One thing the game doesn't point out but probably should is that you unlock new spells when you reach the second layer and the third layer. The spell from the second layer (Empowered Soul) is probably the best spell in the game.

:rip: whoever rolled a 6000 in the raffle (the highest number is 1,000,000).

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Ah. So sadistic makes your Number go up slower. Makes sense. Does it have any other affect? I guess only indirectly through Number.

Another big slash to stats, ngu/wandoos/aug/tm/etc speeds.

Though with the next build 1.110 i may be reducing the direct A/D nerf in sadistic by a lot to get stuff aligned properly for the new adventure zones being added!

Speaking of, here's a few pics of the new stuff!

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

shs posted:

From my limited experience, BlueStacks runs the game with no problems. That might be something to consider if you had issues with the web version.
Android version runs great on my phone.
The problem is that Unity really taxes Intel GPUs. So a game where visually there is only static interface with a couple of spinning things uses the same amount of resources as Dragon Age games and runs worse.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Is there a minimum Number advancement I should be aiming for before Rebirthing in NGU?

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Honestly, when to rebirth is more based around time than it is Number. Early game, your best bet is probably around 15 or 30 minutes to maximize experience gain. Once you've got a few titans down, you get more exp gain from those than bosses, so you're really looking more at maximizing your yggdrasil gains. And once you've got beards unlocked, you're looking at 24 hour rebirths to ensure you're getting those as high level as possible.

Number is not nearly as important as it seems the later you get in the game. Especially when challenges unlock, you'll be ditching your number all the time.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I'm still in the 50's on bosses, I don't have Titans or Ygdrassil unlocked.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Are your numbers bigger? Then you should rebirth. That's the gist of it really.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Early on your Number will be mostly a crutch for your exp. As long you're not losing a significant amount, like sending you back to before the current adventure zone you're idling, keep rebirthing and getting more permanent Exp stats.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
Hey shs if nobody mentioned it the milestone page is hella wonky. Tracking doesn't work and the numbers in the bars don't match the description. This is mobile

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

When ngu says that I need a million percent boost from exp purchases to transition to evil, what the heck does it want me to raise? Attack/Defense? Adventurer stats?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Omi no Kami posted:

When ngu says that I need a million percent boost from exp purchases to transition to evil, what the heck does it want me to raise? Attack/Defense? Adventurer stats?

Attack/Defense

quickest is to get 100k% Boost from Exp, the newbie stat perk, and 40 levels in rich perk I

you need 6 million experience and 41 perk points

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

Attack/Defense

quickest is to get 100k% Boost from Exp, the newbie stat perk, and 40 levels in rich perk I

you need 6 million experience and 41 perk points

Oh neat, I only needed to raise the Exp boost to 10k% (I have like 900 levels in rich perk I, so it probably made the difference). Thanks!

I assume that so long as all of the normal challenges are done, there's no real reason to idle in normal versus doing it in evil?