Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

guppy posted:

Annoying for sure, but at least you get all your materials back when you deconstruct. Should be fairly trivial to move it.

Yeah, this is why I'm really loving my new cyclops, with enough lockers crammed in there the cargo capacity is immense. I'll be able to do it in one trip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Is there a way to download subnautica mods without having to use nexusmods.com? Their site sucks and I'm not making an account there. I found the mods I want on github, but they're not packaged for qmods and I'm not sure how to get them built into the right format.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
Sorry, if there is, I don't know it (not implying there's no other way, only the 'I don't know it' part).

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Two bug questions for y'all.

One, is there a way to fix the broken base animations? For some reason I no longer get an animation when going up/down ladders or when opening/closing bulkheads. Some random googling says it might be related to having a too-complicated base, but it happens even at simple new bases. Do I just need to dismantle the possibly-problematic base?

Two, does anyone else have a problem with the lost river's green goop displaying on top of closer elements? It's covering up some of my Cyclops UI elements occasionally, or parts of the prawn suit UI occasionally, or some of the polygons when mapping out new base modules. It's really weird.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

JawnV6 posted:

With all the power expertise I have a goofy question: Do the Seamoth lights trigger the Solar panels?

I had a scanner room with a solar panel around ~190m and at one point I got there to find it unpowered, hopped into the Seamoth and turned the headlights on, at that moment the pop up told me my base had power. It might have been a ridiculous coincidence, but does 'solar' work that way at all?

Draw distance is probably to blame - not rendering bits of the base (Like, say, the power plant) to save on processing is something that happened with my bases a bit.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Arcturas posted:

Two bug questions for y'all.

One, is there a way to fix the broken base animations? For some reason I no longer get an animation when going up/down ladders or when opening/closing bulkheads. Some random googling says it might be related to having a too-complicated base, but it happens even at simple new bases. Do I just need to dismantle the possibly-problematic base?

Two, does anyone else have a problem with the lost river's green goop displaying on top of closer elements? It's covering up some of my Cyclops UI elements occasionally, or parts of the prawn suit UI occasionally, or some of the polygons when mapping out new base modules. It's really weird.

Those 'abbreviated' animations are the worst. I can't figure out what causes it, but it doesn't seem to be contagious in my game, as I have one seabase that's stuck that way in my current game, but none of the others (I have like seven right now), and none of the suggested solutions have 'cured' it in this playthrough, while in past playthroughs, I've had it happen from time to time...then had it stop happening, just kind of out of the blue. I wish I could give you better advice, but all I can say is, I guess, google it, and try everything. Maybe something can help, maybe not. Sorry, though the fact that it's been happening at new bases you make is somewhat concerning.

Also, that other thing, that's pretty normal, it's happened on all my playthroughs, so I assume it's not really a bug or anything, just...weird, yeah.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Slanderer posted:

Can anyone share the mods they are using? I want to replay it with some quality of life improvements, and I want to find a solid set of mods to make the game less tedious (I have a couple friends who want to play but are turned off by the idea of spending hours managing locker inventory lol)
a bit up that page I posted mine:

Captain Invictus posted:

some mods I used and still use in subsequent playthroughs when I feel the itch to be under da sea, I installed them halfway through my first game, just make a backup if you're worried it'll wipe it.

qmod manager 3.0, a mod manager obviously, helps keep things in line and may be required for some poo poo
https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/201

this mod is a game-changer and I can't believe it's not in the base game, EASYCRAFT, it pulls resources from within like 50 meters from all your lockers to craft stuff and auto-crafts requisite parts like wiring kits and computer chips for more complicated stuff, it's seriously such a huge upgrade to the extremely flawed inventory system right now
https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/24

map mod: adds a fog of war-covered map that clears as you explore, handy but skippable if you want the ~clean experience~
https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/12

quick miner for the prawn suit, makes the large ore deposits not take like 30 seconds to mine each time
https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/41

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Hello Thread! So, got the game finally and am on my first playthrough, moooostly spoiler-free. Kinda hard to not see things when you've been following the game for years etc.

The progression has been... odd.

I got the Seamoth up and running before the Seaglider thingie, even a rudimentary base. The glider seems like it would have been *really* useful early game, but basically I've spent the entire game in the Seamoth and a lot of things like 'oxygen' and 'don't go out too far' became irrelevant faster than I feel they should have been. Same goddamn thing happened with the cyclops/prawn (I think?) - the schematics came I feel too late. My Seamoth has been lapping the green brine river for aaages now as its the only thing I could build (prawn was like at 2/20 parts), and on a lark I decided to check out the Aurora and suddenly prawn is now 3/3 parts (instantly built, but never used - cuz gently caress walking across the map to the green river and back) and on the next green river lap i stumble across my last cylops part on the way back. So I'm excited to use this prawn thingie, finally assemble the cyclops (why does it keep asking for deeper water?!), and loving laugh my head off at how huge it is. I... always thought it would fit in the moonpool.

So that's where I am after binging it for 20+ hours of playtime. The leviathans have always been scary, but I feel like I got too empowered too fast if that makes sense? I would have liked to have been stuck using the seaglide for the first dozen hours or so to keep me more vunerable. I'll check when I log back in, but iirc both depth upgrades for the prawn and cyclops need an advanced resource I've not seen yet, and I'm not sure where else there is to go while capped at 900meters? I've seen the JellyCaves, BloodVines + and Green River, but feel like I'm missing some cave somewhere before I'm supposed to commit to that stupid whale of a ship and its clunking walker.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Serephina posted:

I've seen the JellyCaves, BloodVines + and Green River, but feel like I'm missing some cave somewhere before I'm supposed to commit to that stupid whale of a ship and its clunking walker.

SoooOOooooo there's an even deeper section which involves dark caves and lava; and the 'before releaee' patch plugged the hole near the aurora that you could use to get to it; the other entrance is both easy to miss and somewhere near blood vines/river.

You might want to pay a visit to the deep grand reef. there's a degasi seabase there, and a colorcoded card you optionally want later

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Serephina posted:

I'm not sure where else there is to go while capped at 900meters? I've seen the JellyCaves, BloodVines + and Green River, but feel like I'm missing some cave somewhere before I'm supposed to commit to that stupid whale of a ship and its clunking walker.

Check your waypoints. One is for a CTO that sunk, the waypoint has CTO in the name, and it is right next to entrance you need.

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

Serephina posted:

Hello Thread! So, got the game finally and am on my first playthrough, moooostly spoiler-free. Kinda hard to not see things when you've been following the game for years etc.

The progression has been... odd.

I got the Seamoth up and running before the Seaglider thingie, even a rudimentary base. The glider seems like it would have been *really* useful early game, but basically I've spent the entire game in the Seamoth and a lot of things like 'oxygen' and 'don't go out too far' became irrelevant faster than I feel they should have been. Same goddamn thing happened with the cyclops/prawn (I think?) - the schematics came I feel too late. My Seamoth has been lapping the green brine river for aaages now as its the only thing I could build (prawn was like at 2/20 parts), and on a lark I decided to check out the Aurora and suddenly prawn is now 3/3 parts (instantly built, but never used - cuz gently caress walking across the map to the green river and back) and on the next green river lap i stumble across my last cylops part on the way back. So I'm excited to use this prawn thingie, finally assemble the cyclops (why does it keep asking for deeper water?!), and loving laugh my head off at how huge it is. I... always thought it would fit in the moonpool.

So that's where I am after binging it for 20+ hours of playtime. The leviathans have always been scary, but I feel like I got too empowered too fast if that makes sense? I would have liked to have been stuck using the seaglide for the first dozen hours or so to keep me more vunerable. I'll check when I log back in, but iirc both depth upgrades for the prawn and cyclops need an advanced resource I've not seen yet, and I'm not sure where else there is to go while capped at 900meters? I've seen the JellyCaves, BloodVines + and Green River, but feel like I'm missing some cave somewhere before I'm supposed to commit to that stupid whale of a ship and its clunking walker.

I know what you mean. It's why, if you're going to install any mods at all that mess with balance, I recommend the 'Fragment Booster' mod the most.
It increases the number of fragments you need to build new tech, meaning you REALLY need to explore to unlock all the tech.

Corsec
Apr 17, 2007
So what is the best mod option for making Subnautica visually darker and scarier? I've started using Hard Mode Vibrant Shader but I don't know enough about shaders to know if it's a particularly good or bad one.

https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/2?tab=description

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

a bit up that page I posted mine:

Thanks

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
Why would you want to make Subnautica 'darker and scarier'?

It's already extremely dark when it's supposed to be, and makes use of color and light in very intentional ways, being, as it is, on a planet where the vast majority of lifeforms evolved bioluminescence.

Good luck, I guess, but I genuinely don't see the point of the exercise. You want darkness, head into the dunes or the crash zone or the mountains or the floating mountains or the blood kelp zones or...

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

EimiYoshikawa posted:

Why would you want to make Subnautica 'darker and scarier'?

It's already extremely dark when it's supposed to be, and makes use of color and light in very intentional ways, being, as it is, on a planet where the vast majority of lifeforms evolved bioluminescence.

Good luck, I guess, but I genuinely don't see the point of the exercise. You want darkness, head into the dunes or the crash zone or the mountains or the floating mountains or the blood kelp zones or...

Something the size of Aurora lurking in the depths.

With tentacles.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The engine apparently has trouble with stuff that's too big, though I honestly think they have options if they rethink world design. You can use a lot of tricks to make a huge monster have far more of a presence than its actual physical model.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
There’s something about the idea of a monster that’s so big, it’s not really aware of you in any sort of a way. A creature so big it’s essentially terrain - breathing holes that blast out water currents, forests of spines or tendrils or something..

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Drake_263 posted:

There’s something about the idea of a monster that’s so big, it’s not really aware of you in any sort of a way. A creature so big it’s essentially terrain - breathing holes that blast out water currents, forests of spines or tendrils or something..

Below Zero has something like this in the form of giant jellyfish.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
New Below Zero update

https://steamcommunity.com/games/848450/announcements/detail/1706237789329936882?snr=1_41_4__42

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon

quote:

This update will be your last opportunity to play Below Zero’s story in its current form. As previously announced, a new story will be coming in our next update!

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer
I was saving below zero til it actually released since I played the poo poo out of Subnautica in early access and kind of regretted not having a cohesive unspoiled playthrough. Is there any reason I should see the story they have now before they completely change it? (I already own it and did check it out for a couple of hours.)

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

The Super-Id posted:

I was saving below zero til it actually released since I played the poo poo out of Subnautica in early access and kind of regretted not having a cohesive unspoiled playthrough. Is there any reason I should see the story they have now before they completely change it? (I already own it and did check it out for a couple of hours.)

Nah. There's a reason they're changing it completely.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The current story is fine, there isn't much of it so it is hard to judge.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Oasx posted:

The current story is fine, there isn't much of it so it is hard to judge.

Did they ever actually add any additional voice acting or interactivity beyond the original 'hey hoped you like the early access demo' part of getting to launching a rocket, or is it all, beyond that, just 'non-interactive stuff you can find in the world' levels of story? I last played in, like...ah, the end of march, last year.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

EimiYoshikawa posted:

Did they ever actually add any additional voice acting or interactivity beyond the original 'hey hoped you like the early access demo' part of getting to launching a rocket, or is it all, beyond that, just 'non-interactive stuff you can find in the world' levels of story? I last played in, like...ah, the end of march, last year.

There are at least 3 different voice actors with various interactions maybe one more.
Not sure what changes they will make to that with the new story.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

EimiYoshikawa posted:

There are parts of the story that are written as subtitles but not voiced, but not a lot beyond the rocket. The developers seem to have concentrated on making game content with biomes, vehicles and creatures, so i'm not worried since the base game seems to be close to finished, they just need to put in the story.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
Okay, thanks. Guess I'm not really missing much if I don't play it (again), then (before the story reboot).

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, good to know I can continue holding off until this is done.

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
Simpson memes incoming.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

The Super-Id posted:

Yeah, good to know I can continue holding off until this is done.

at this rate you'll be waiting a long time lol

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

Grimey Drawer

enraged_camel posted:

at this rate you'll be waiting a long time lol

Already feels that way yeah. Then again Below Zero (while I'm excited for it) is still mostly a rehash of Subnautica so it's easier to wait for it. It's cool, but it's not new anymore.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea, at first I thought it was going to be a stand-alone expansion, but it's not even that, it's like they just want to be able to have a do-over?

Also I'm getting a certain bug in Subnautica that I've only ever had on once before and it's really aggravating. For some reason, sometimes the game will just operate at precisely half FPS, almost like some sort of double buffering logic error or whatnot. Can be fixed by repeated restarts of the app. Anways, the only other game I've ever had this bug pop up on? Natural Selection 2 *cough*

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Loaded up my save where I have a base in The Void and either a bug happened or they changed something about the map. I built the base in a little alcove, since you need something for the modules to attach to and the walls there normally won't allow it. Now that alcove is gone and it's just empty and honestly, even more terrifying that way.

https://streamable.com/w2yhl

I turned on creative mode to get the video without the leviathans causing a fuss, and fog off.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
So I'm thinking about starting the game again, never got around to finishing it the first time I played it. I got the Cyclops but kept falling through the floor and dying.

Is it possible to complete the game without it?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

It's possible but tedious. The lava zone is huge and dark and sonar is pretty much a must for navigating it smoothly.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
And technically you need a Cyclops to finish the escape rocket, since one of the final parts is a Cyclops mod.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And technically you need a Cyclops to finish the escape rocket, since one of the final parts is a Cyclops mod.

Well technically, but I bet most people just build the escape rocket once and then just load up a save from before launching and just go back to doing business as usual.
This could easily be avoided by watching someones LP of the ending.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

So I'm thinking about starting the game again, never got around to finishing it the first time I played it. I got the Cyclops but kept falling through the floor and dying.

Is it possible to complete the game without it?

You can absolutely complete the game without it, or the seamoth or prawn or even the seaglide (as in, without any of those things, not just without any one of them). I've done it, myself.

You do need to plan things out a lot more, and spend the time to build a series of small habs (I named the beacons for mine 'Reverse Base Camp #x') along the path from the surface to the final zone, in which you can pop in, replenish your oxygen (and food/water), and then continue onward. It really is kind of like climbing a mountain, just in reverse.

But it's totally doable.

Of course, you still have to build a cyclops at the very end of the game just so you can use its onboard fabricator to build something else, assuming you don't just console-spawn something you'll need for the escape rocket, but you can definitely 'play the game' without it.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Did anyone else never find a time capsule in their playthrough? When I got to the end I had no idea what it was asking me to put items in this box for so IIRC I put in a food brick and a Cuddlefish egg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

GotLag posted:

Did anyone else never find a time capsule in their playthrough? When I got to the end I had no idea what it was asking me to put items in this box for so IIRC I put in a food brick and a Cuddlefish egg.

I found 1 and it freaked me out because the screenshot in it had a base that looked like mine in the exact same location.

I thought it was some weird alien presence watching me and taking pictures of me. Also had some big water bottles.