Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TwoPair posted:

anyone who uses the term "sportsball" when referring to sports needs to get a swirlie post-haste.

Oh, good! We can start with Wil Wheaton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Man the latest monster pulse is pretty depressing

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I'm glad that in general the good nerd bad jock thing seems to be leaving the pop public subconscious as people realize that nerds are The loving Worst.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

rannum posted:

It rather is. Especially with Bina being in no state to respond to her mum pouring her heart out like that.

cropoval
Feb 17, 2020

rannum posted:

I’ve been really impressed with the last few chapters. MP has always been willing to take big swings (a guy gets killed in front of a bunch of kids in, what, chapter four?) but this has been on another level.

On the most recent update, I can’t bring myself to be too mad at Ms. Blum, even if this really isn’t something Bina should hear right now. I feel like it would be impossible to be a perfect parent in the immediate aftermath of your child dying and turning into a depressed blue heart monstergirl. She shouldn’t be saying it to Bina, but I suspect she herself will know that the moment she calms down a bit. Trauma all around.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

rannum posted:

Between this and that weird evil smirk Bina gave when Maugras told her she could potentially be immortal, I'm getting very concerned for where things might be going, especially with poo poo about to hit the big old Lulenski fan literally any time now.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

I think that Bina is going to end up sacrificing herself to save everyone. A huge part of her character has been dealing with mortality and terminal illness, albeit in a weird metaphorical/not metaphorical monster form. Now she's being told she's going to be immortal, or at least incredibly long lived, and we know how much she's generally terrified of death.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Joe Slowboat posted:

I think that Bina is going to end up sacrificing herself to save everyone. A huge part of her character has been dealing with mortality and terminal illness, albeit in a weird metaphorical/not metaphorical monster form. Now she's being told she's going to be immortal, or at least incredibly long lived, and we know how much she's generally terrified of death.

http://www.monster-pulse.com/comic/page-38-chapter-30

i dont ever want less of anything, i want more and more

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
One thing to keep in mind with QC is that any character can do or say some stupid poo poo at any time. None of them are really author avatars, or supposed to be "correct."

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

rannum posted:

Oh, good catch.

Now that we've seen more I don't think the time weirdness is that strange. She's tired and dissociative, and before this happened she was pushing herself so much to get things done because she thought she was going to drop dead any day. Now her only job is recovery and it's a lot easier to let the days slip by. It's not normal to do a dissociative timeslip to the tune of two days, but I see how it happened.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

rannum posted:

See this is both concerning and extremely, uncomfortably relatable. It’s a good comic.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Joe Slowboat posted:

See this is both concerning and extremely, uncomfortably relatable. It’s a good comic.

I mean, the part that's always worried me was when Violet read Bina's mind and basically went "holy poo poo, you're kind of a sociopath." It really shook Bina as a person and she's kind of being trying overly hard to prove her wrong ever since, but I don't think she's ever been fully successful.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Monster pulse has such good and uncomfortably real characters and it owns bones.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

I mean, the part that's always worried me was when Violet read Bina's mind and basically went "holy poo poo, you're kind of a sociopath." It really shook Bina as a person and she's kind of being trying overly hard to prove her wrong ever since, but I don't think she's ever been fully successful.

Everyone is a little off put by Bina except, I dunno, Abel?
The Violet being scared of Bina part is good but this one from much later in the comic also stood otu to me http://www.monster-pulse.com/comic/page-37-chapter-29
Wes brushes aside Bina and even Julie's, who throughout the comic has kind of been on her side the most, kind of "hrm...." about her (& it comes up elsewhere too). And Bina's super old friend who she kind of abandoned didn't have much to nice to say either (...mostly because of the abandonment, but, you know)

e: Oh man I forgot how much Violet went in on Bina, glad I reread this http://www.monster-pulse.com/comic/page-27-chapter-20

rannum fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Feb 21, 2020

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

rannum posted:

Everyone is a little off put by Bina except, I dunno, Abel?
The Violet being scared of Bina part is good but this one from much later in the comic also stood otu to me http://www.monster-pulse.com/comic/page-37-chapter-29
Wes brushes aside Bina and even Julie's, who throughout the comic has kind of been on her side the most, kind of "hrm...." about her (& it comes up elsewhere too). And Bina's super old friend who she kind of abandoned didn't have much to nice to say either (...mostly because of the abandonment, but, you know)

e: Oh man I forgot how much Violet went in on Bina, glad I reread this http://www.monster-pulse.com/comic/page-27-chapter-20
It's also great because Violet says it while doing some super sketchy stuff which really illustrates that all these kids are messed up. But Violet pulled herself back from that brink and has been working on that, while I think Bina's gotten colder and more ruthless because she's sure she could die at any moment so she felt like she needs to get things done now.

And, well, now she's died, had a literal heart to heart with Ayo, and has been told she is potentially functionally immortal bar accidents. That's a massive shift in the pressures that were driving her, so it's hard to predict exactly how she develops from here.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

I’m pretty sure Violet is reading what Bina consciously believes about herself there, not the absolute truth.

Bina thinks she’s a sociopath but she’s really not. She’s just scared of death and a teenager and has some issues with her parents and feeling guilty that she has a complicated and distant relationship with her mother.

It’s like how Violet thought ‘I’m super intelligent so I can’t have emotional problems’ - at the time she was extremely hung up on rationality and conscious thought and, well, Bina was refusing to recognize her positive feelings because she was extremely hosed up and still is.

That’s my take, anyways, because I love Violet’s super-smart super-dumb phase.

E: wait of course

Bina has positive emotions and things, but she’s been literally separated from her heart. Of course she’s dissociated from them, and Ayo is much more emotionally mature about recognizing that love can coexist with negative feelings.

Joe Slowboat fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Feb 21, 2020

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Joe Slowboat posted:

I’m pretty sure Violet is reading what Bina consciously believes about herself there, not the absolute truth.

Bina thinks she’s a sociopath but she’s really not. She’s just scared of death and a teenager and has some issues with her parents and feeling guilty that she has a complicated and distant relationship with her mother.

It’s like how Violet thought ‘I’m super intelligent so I can’t have emotional problems’ - at the time she was extremely hung up on rationality and conscious thought and, well, Bina was refusing to recognize her positive feelings because she was extremely hosed up and still is.

That’s my take, anyways, because I love Violet’s super-smart super-dumb phase.

E: wait of course

Bina has positive emotions and things, but she’s been literally separated from her heart. Of course she’s dissociated from them, and Ayo is much more emotionally mature about recognizing that love can coexist with negative feelings.
Oh yeah, for sure, Bina is not a sociopath - at least, she does care about things and people and rather deeply, but she's really bad at expressing that. That's not sociopathy, that's emotional dissociation, like you said.

Now consider that from Violet's point of view, in her super-smart super-dumb phase. It seems like before she got hit by a ghost, she was pretty good at expressing her emotions, and after she's painfully aware of exactly how many emotions she has, amplified and rattling around in that giant brain of hers. She's also fixated on helping Abel, and knows that Bina likes Abel, and knows that Bina doesn't like Violet, and knows that Bina is ready and willing to punch Violet in the brain.

I'm pretty sure in the theme of Violet's emotions coloring what she read Violet's unease about Bina and later fear of her colored in a lot of stuff that's not quite right. Bina's definitely got issues, but even if she struggles with applied empathy she doesn't lack it, and being irritable and hard to connect to does not a sociopath make.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

BTW, Feast For a King Another Serving: Episode 2 just dropped for $7, I'm only about halfway through but I'm really loving it. It's 200 pages of pretty densely packed lore, slapstick comedy, and socially awkward interactions set to comedically rear end-themed music.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
Man, whenever someone mentions "Bina" I keep thinking of All Night Laundry.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Today in Monster Pulse: audible oof

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Never Satisfied: So, child or grandchild?

cropoval
Feb 17, 2020

PMush Perfect posted:

Never Satisfied: So, child or grandchild?

General consensus seems to be child, and Sylas' dad is the dad. Would explain Sylas and Lucy's resemblance at the very least.

Peony and Sylas' sister Emilia look too much alike too, so I'm thinking Sylas is the one kid from the Dubois marriage, and Lucy, Emilia and Peony are all Lapointe/Dubois kids. This seems to be a common theory, though, so at this point I guess the real question is what exactly lead each of the kids (especially Lucy) where they are now. Fidelia is ruthless enough that a few weeks ago I was expecting purposeful abandonment, but she seems pretty emotional about this (if she's being genuine).

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

rannum posted:

Today in Monster Pulse: audible oof

Not doing much to assuage that whole “on the road to becoming a supervillain” thing you got going on there, Bina...

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I am starting to think that, beyond the depression, Bina and Ayo were put together just wrong, in a deeper way than just looks

New Sleepless Domain. Either she is under some sort of control that Bud is twigging to, or Cassidy is a way bigger rear end in a top hat than we all thought and she is tripling down at this point.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Feb 22, 2020

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Unlucky7 posted:

New Sleepless Domain. Either she is under some sort of control that Bud is twigging to, or Cassidy is a way bigger rear end in a top hat than we all thought and she is tripling down at this point.

Not necessarily. This seems par for the course for an rear end in a top hat who's been secretly sure she's figured out The Enemy and now is faced with her friends disagreeing.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Feb 22, 2020

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Unlucky7 posted:

She thinks she's getting rid of a threat and that everyone else is a secret bitch, too. She is, of course, mistaken on both counts.

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i would trust bud with my life

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

I would trust Bud with my life but literally nothing less important, which is a good trait in a friend.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Bud definitely has some extrasensory powers that let her notice this was going down.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
I just wanna add that the runny nose really completes the ugly cry effect

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Ditocoaf posted:

Not necessarily. This seems par for the course for an rear end in a top hat who's been secretly sure she's figured out The Enemy and now is faced with her friends disagreeing.

I do agree! But also like...is it physically possible to be that dislikeable?

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
I’m loving Vedika just going “Cass, what?” Hoping this is a good learning experience for her but she seems pretty lovely.

cropoval
Feb 17, 2020

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Bud definitely has some extrasensory powers that let her notice this was going down.

I bet she had one of those flower drones watching this.

Which would lead one to believe Bud had an idea that Cassidy was up to something, which opens up its own set of questions.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I know perception powers are a possibility but when Undine did training with Vedika she was practicing distance telepathy by just moving around the field area, where she saw HP & Harley practcing.

I just assumed Bud literally saw everything that happened, not sensed it happening. Then she goes "well this is going to poo poo", told vedika to get Harley and rush over herself for some Confrontation.

Also Harley was lifting weights with gabby so I can only imagine Gabby gives a smal fist pump to herself at calling cassidy being the secret bitch.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Gabby is getting into position for a “shut the gently caress up” punch once Cassidy goes full on ranting

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I don't think anyone there is going to punch Cassidy, only maybe Heartful Punch because it's literally her thing and also she's romantically interested in Undine, whom Cassidy is terrorizing.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Though the author is doing a really, really good job of presenting the case for a Cassidy/Fist interaction.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Yeah, but they're teenagers, and haven't really been shown to solve interpersonal problems with violence. They're pretty well-adjusted all things considered.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I don't think anyone there is going to punch Cassidy, only maybe Heartful Punch because it's literally her thing and also she's romantically interested in Undine, whom Cassidy is terrorizing.

I'm putting money down that Cassidy's romantically and unrequitedly interested in HP, which is why all of this is happening to begin with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I still don't think this is going to be as punch-filled as people hope but man every time I think Cass has dug her hole as deep as it can go she'll throw out a line like "WOULD YOU STOP HUMORING HER"