Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

itry posted:

If it were Lambert instead of Geralt in that situation Keira would be 100% dead.

Because Lambert's a prick.

Keira’s interactions with Lambert would presumably be different from Geralt. remember she casts a glamor on Geralt to make him attractive to her, Lambert needed no such thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

a fatguy baldspot posted:

signs/combat is really fun, put on some medium armor and get the medium armor regens stamina skill.

lighting people on fire will never not be hilarious.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

hobbesmaster posted:

Keira’s interactions with Lambert would presumably be different from Geralt. remember she casts a glamor on Geralt to make him attractive to her, Lambert needed no such thing

Huh? I don’t remember this at all. I just remember saying he’s not her type but sort of “when in Rome” as a response.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
Please help me with choosing an overhaul mod. Don't wanna play vanilla, as I know a number of improvements have been attempted by lots of modders.
Have you used any of the changed combat ones - Anu suggestions, favourites?

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Monglo posted:

Please help me with choosing an overhaul mod. Don't wanna play vanilla, as I know a number of improvements have been attempted by lots of modders.
Don't do Enhanced Edition unless you hate fun. I thought it was okay until I discovered you had to farm alchemy ingredients and craft each dose individually. Hard nope.

I like Ghost Mode because it's highly customizable but it doesn't change the base gameplay radically. Bunch of tweaks but still feels very similar.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Tom Tucker posted:

I've been using a pure combat build for a while and thought I'd shake things up. I'm level 23 and taking my time with the main quest so I've turned on enemy upscaling on the second-to-hardest difficulty. I'm thinking of trying out a signs / combat or alchemy / combat build, any recommendations?

Every build you make should have a /alchemy in it. There's no reason ever not to have synergy. As for signs, just go with Igni to set them on fire and then Igni flamethrower while they're already on fire.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Monglo posted:

No Levels removes the obnoxious level requirements for items and makes all equipment have fixed stats (so a Velen longsword does the same damage at every level, as an example) like in Fallout games. It makes non Witcher equipment a lot more viable so you actually have a reason to use unique swords and armours.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Searched back a couple pages and couldn't find anything, but: Is there a specific known solution for the extremely generic "Uploading Save Failed" going from Switch to Steam? Checked the DLCs and I've got everything, and a bunch of people were reporting "yeah sometimes it works on another network for some reason", was hoping someone ITT knows something more specific before I start wiresharking connections trying to debug this poo poo for CDPR

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I scared myself when I downloaded The Witcher 3 to play again for a bit on my fresh OS install and had no save files. Turns I downloaded the GOTY edition that was given to all owners and not the normal one that I had got at launch.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I got to Kaer Morhen thinking it was the last part of the game so I went back and started Hearts of Iron so I could get that sweet Master Level witcher armor.

So far it's such a refreshing change from "Yessir mas't'uh Witcha, you fuckin freak. I was born in the mud and ah'll die in me mud. The world is pain and ugly torment"

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

FilthyImp posted:

I got to Kaer Morhen thinking it was the last part of the game so I went back and started Hearts of Iron so I could get that sweet Master Level witcher armor.

So far it's such a refreshing change from "Yessir mas't'uh Witcha, you fuckin freak. I was born in the mud and ah'll die in me mud. The world is pain and ugly torment"

Lol you think you’re near the end of the main quest. Nope!

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

These CD Projekt Red guys appear to be pretty good. Are they the ones who were like "this massive video game we're making is taking longer than we thought so we're delaying it to get it right" and the entire internet was like "(nods sagely)"?

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011

FilthyImp posted:

If that change of pace and tone is to your liking, you're gonna dig the other DLC. Save it for last.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Tom Tucker posted:

These CD Projekt Red guys appear to be pretty good. Are they the ones who were like "this massive video game we're making is taking longer than we thought so we're delaying it to get it right" and the entire internet was like "(nods sagely)"?

More like "this massive video game were making is taking longer than we thought so we're delaying it to get it right but also that extra time is all crunch at an Eastern European pay scale."

The company does get a lot of goodwill for transparency and accountability with their customers but they still have unhealthy workplace habits. That picture of the CDPR developer's mental progression from Witcher 1 to Witcher 3 might be a joke but it's not far off.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Tom Tucker posted:

Funnily enough, I'm still reading through the old "Witcher 2-Yennefer Barely Knew Her" thread and have just gotten to the part where Witcher 3 was delayed for the last time. Folks are posting Internet Baby posts from the official forums where people were having literal meltdowns. One person swore off gaming forever with a "how could they do this to us?" kinda attitude. It's a pretty great read.

But yea, we kept our poo poo together in this thread. Universally this thread was laughing at everyone that thought CDPR sucked for taking more time on the game and/or believing it was heresy that the game didn't look like the promo trailers originally released.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

More like "this massive video game were making is taking longer than we thought so we're delaying it to get it right but also that extra time is all crunch at an Eastern European pay scale."

I mean, while they have a lovely work culture, they *do* pay overpay, which is more than you can say of a lot of US devs.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

chaosapiant posted:

Funnily enough, I'm still reading through the old "Witcher 2-Yennefer Barely Knew Her" thread and have just gotten to the part where Witcher 3 was delayed for the last time. Folks are posting Internet Baby posts from the official forums where people were having literal meltdowns. One person swore off gaming forever with a "how could they do this to us?" kinda attitude. It's a pretty great read.

But yea, we kept our poo poo together in this thread. Universally this thread was laughing at everyone that thought CDPR sucked for taking more time on the game and/or believing it was heresy that the game didn't look like the promo trailers originally released.

Go back far enough in this thread (or the previous one?) and you'll see that not everyone kept their head. I remember one guy getting extremely vicious towards me, personally, because of... something? And another guy who spent half a dozen pages trying to get me to admit that we hate PC gamers.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Go back far enough in this thread (or the previous one?) and you'll see that not everyone kept their head. I remember one guy getting extremely vicious towards me, personally, because of... something? And another guy who spent half a dozen pages trying to get me to admit that we hate PC gamers.

I do recall the one dude who was screaming about grafix downgrade constantly and talking about how lovely it was and yada yada. Was it that dude or was there another gem?

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

chaosapiant posted:

I do recall the one dude who was screaming about grafix downgrade constantly and talking about how lovely it was and yada yada. Was it that dude or was there another gem?

That guy, but another guy started going on about how I, personally, am a poo poo designer. I'm the reason Alpha Protocol sucked, etc. This was before the release of W3. Christ, 7 years ago probably.

i'm so old

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Alpha Protocol ruled

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Mike the TV posted:

Alpha Protocol ruled

Yea, this. I need to reinstall and fire it up again. That's one game that absolutely deserves a sequel.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

chaosapiant posted:

Yea, this. I need to reinstall and fire it up again. That's one game that absolutely deserves a sequel.

There was a brief, glorious moment when it was announced that Obsidian was working on a game based on a popular animated series, and for that time, I could imagine that Obsidian was making an Archer game that had the mechanics of Alpha Protocol.

I mean, Stick of Truth ended up still being pretty good, but COME ON.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Crappy Jack posted:

There was a brief, glorious moment when it was announced that Obsidian was working on a game based on a popular animated series, and for that time, I could imagine that Obsidian was making an Archer game that had the mechanics of Alpha Protocol.

I mean, Stick of Truth ended up still being pretty good, but COME ON.

main problem is that that would eliminate one of the best parts of alpha protocol, choosing which JB you wanted to be

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

What's the consensus on the Combat Rebalanced overhauls for both Witcher 2 and 3? I generally like the one for Witcher 1, but don't have issues with W2 or 3 combat. But if they're good I might give 'em a go one day.

I saw the Witcher 2 one is up to patch 1.2, and I remember reading that it wasn't great, but that was pre patch. Any thoughts?

Edit: Also a Witcher 1 question: I've beaten the game many times, but don't remember if the prologue explained why Triss happened to be in Kaer Morhen at the time. Did the other witchers summon her to help Geralt?

Also, the whole "Triss took advantage of amnesiac Geralt thing", while true, I think is at the very least initiated by Geralt during the prologue. She only comes onto him when he tells her he has feelings when he looks at her. I think Geralt felt sub-consciously drawn to her because she was a sorceress, and Triss just went with it because why not, and Yennefer was dead/suspected of being dead anyway, so what's the harm?

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Feb 25, 2020

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

chaosapiant posted:

Also, the whole "Triss took advantage of amnesiac Geralt thing", while true, I think is at the very least initiated by Geralt during the prologue. She only comes onto him when he tells her he has feelings when he looks at her. I think Geralt felt sub-consciously drawn to her because she was a sorceress, and Triss just went with it because why not, and Yennefer was dead/suspected of being dead anyway, so what's the harm?

Have you read Blood of Elves?
https://witcher.fandom.com/wiki/Triss_Merigold#Romance_with_a_Witcher

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Yea, it's been a minute, but I've read the whole series twice. Can you refresh me?

Edit: Oh, is this in regard to her magicking Geralt to bang him? I remember that, but was speaking soley about the amnesia thing. Both things are skeevy thought.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Right, but what if it wasn't a memory he had but a lingering effect of the spell she'd cast. Or a new one...

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

hobbesmaster posted:

Right, but what if it wasn't a memory he had but a lingering effect of the spell she'd cast. Or a new one...

I don't know. He felt love for her in the prologue when she was unconscious. And years had passed between her triss-t with him in Kaer Morhen and his revival in Witcher 1 prologue. It's certainly possible, but since the it's not in the game or text explicitly, I'm not counting it.

I think the general consensus is that Geralt felt he must've had feelings for a sorceress at one time or another, without knowing who, and here's this woman in his home, among his friends, who seems very familiar with him. So while Geralt is sub-consciously connecting the dots, Triss is taking full advantage of it.

My main point being that, I think, the whole Triss taking advantage of amnesiac Geralt is more a happy accident that she ran with rather than a meticulous plan she had when she saw him. It's skeevy either way though.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

chaosapiant posted:

I don't know. He felt love for her in the prologue when she was unconscious. And years had passed between her triss-t with him in Kaer Morhen and his revival in Witcher 1 prologue. It's certainly possible, but since the it's not in the game or text explicitly, I'm not counting it.

I think the general consensus is that Geralt felt he must've had feelings for a sorceress at one time or another, without knowing who, and here's this woman in his home, among his friends, who seems very familiar with him. So while Geralt is sub-consciously connecting the dots, Triss is taking full advantage of it.

My main point being that, I think, the whole Triss taking advantage of amnesiac Geralt is more a happy accident that she ran with rather than a meticulous plan she had when she saw him. It's skeevy either way though.

Yeah this is how I read it. People tell him he was in love with a sorceress, Triss is there, everyone seems normal with it, and he just puts pieces together (wrongly). Triss, meanwhile, lets it happen when she knows full well that he's an amnesiac and she's taking advantage.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Ravenfood posted:

Yeah this is how I read it. People tell him he was in love with a sorceress, Triss is there, everyone seems normal with it, and he just puts pieces together (wrongly). Triss, meanwhile, lets it happen when she knows full well that he's an amnesiac and she's taking advantage.

Not to mention that his witcher bros seems to genuinely like/care for Triss, and barely tolerate Yennefer. So if he wakes up and Yen is suspected dead and/or missing, she's toxic, and here's Triss who the other witchers like, plus his friends in general, yea, everyone including Geralt would definitely be in the Team Triss camp.

Come to think of it...it's a lot like the plot to the movie Overboard (the original).

Edit: New Witcher question: how many of you have bought multiple copies of the games on multiple platforms because they're awesome and you want CDPR to have all the money? I've bought each of the three main games at least three times total, myself, though in varying circumstances.

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Feb 25, 2020

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

chaosapiant posted:

What's the consensus on the Combat Rebalanced overhauls for both Witcher 2 and 3? I generally like the one for Witcher 1, but don't have issues with W2 or 3 combat. But if they're good I might give 'em a go one day.

i liked the one for 2. thats all i got.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

chaosapiant posted:

Edit: New Witcher question: how many of you have bought multiple copies of the games on multiple platforms because they're awesome and you want CDPR to have all the money? I've bought each of the three main games at least three times total, myself, though in varying circumstances.

I show my appreciation by buying their games at full price at launch. Once.

I think that's enough.

They'll probably think so too.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I bought it full price on ps4, then I bought it again on a steam sale because at that point my pc could run it and I wanted mods and 60 FPS for my next run through.

Steam says I have 69 hours played so maybe I should stop now

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Where on earth is Shani's accent from? It sounds so strange.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Ravenfood posted:

Where on earth is Shani's accent from? It sounds so strange.

I can't remember exactly where (maybe it was even in this thread), but I recall reading somewhere that the intention was for Shani to have an accent that's literally all over the place, in reference to the idea that she's incredibly well-traveled. Apparently there's a lot of business out there for someone wanting to hear injured soldiers.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Ainsley McTree posted:

Wait until you're in the triple digits

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I just hit hour 600 this week. :D

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

itry posted:

Wait until you're in the triple digits

Oh I already have 150 hours on ps4, I’m just tickled that I stopped at the sex number

That said, the game’s got its claws in me again so hitting 420 hours is a real possibility

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I have 69,420 hours invested in Skyrim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

chaosapiant posted:

PS4, Steam and Switch.

I finished the base game in PS4, and I think I have 350+ hours in the PC version. The switch I have only a handful, but that will likely climb as I'll do NewGame+ now that I have access to my Steam saves on it.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Nice..