Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I was just talking about how I've never liked limited in any other digital card game, but I'm loving it in Runeterra. I basically play Expeditions all the time, even though I'm slowly developing a decent constructed collection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I found more luck with that warmother control deck. Avalanche pretty much stops super aggro dead in it’s tracks and if you reach late game it’s pretty much impossible to stop you with all the sticky units ,board wipes, and heals.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Spell Mana is the smallest little boost to making you feel less bad for fading some amount of mana in the early game, and not punishing you so severely from missing a 2 drops like in Hearthstone. Buying 3 expeditions in a week lets you draft (and get the exp bonus for trials) for free until the week is over? Every day the game wins me over slightly more.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Oh spell mana is much more substantial than that. Pass pass 3 drop is what a lot of decks are built to do and let you do insane things like Zed Stand Alone on 3. Or just silly things like remembrance on 3.

The game can't stay this generous forever, a free champion every week is insane, but get it while it's good.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

I'm having better results than I expected with a poro deck, of all things.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

post it pls

I tried poro von yipp but it's a bit slow.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

CitizenKeen posted:

I was just talking about how I've never liked limited in any other digital card game, but I'm loving it in Runeterra. I basically play Expeditions all the time, even though I'm slowly developing a decent constructed collection.

What's the draw for you? I've disliked every limited mode I've ever played in a card game, this one included, due to the game play consisting of two players rubbing piles of random trash together.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

No Wave posted:

post it pls

https://decksofruneterra.com/decks/2k7xkraT

Make no mistake, it's still a meme deck, but it's honestly pretty decent.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Tbh the fun of expedition for me is my deck is usually better than my opponents' and I win a lot more than I do in constructed.

Playing expedition from behind is rough because you will have to take chances that get you blown out by a lot, playing from a lead is fun because you can feel smart being so far ahead that you can play around back to back and judgement.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Eraflure posted:

https://decksofruneterra.com/decks/2k7xkraT

Make no mistake, it's still a meme deck, but it's honestly pretty decent.
Ty. Jeez I havent seen braum in ages.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

FallenGod posted:

What's the draw for you? I've disliked every limited mode I've ever played in a card game, this one included, due to the game play consisting of two players rubbing piles of random trash together.

Two players rubbing random trash together is a draw for me, actually. Sure, the variance will get you from time to time, but I find that I actually "play" more, because I'm not just enacting my deck's game plan. I mean, I am, and good drafters obviously do that, but when I'm playing (say) Elites or midrange Ashe, I'm mostly following a script. With a limited mode, I'm constantly trying to figure out my deck and I like that.

I'm just really bad at it. And most games don't offer any incentive to play unless you're bad at it. As a mediocre[*] Expeditions player, the combination of

• Guaranteed champions
  • The opportunity to refine your deck between games
  • Measuring consecutive losses instead of total losses
  • TWO ATTEMPTS

all combine to make it a much more enjoyable format for me. It's still players rubbing random trash. That is (I think) intrinsic to the format.

[*] I've got double-digit 7-win trials, but I think that's luck as much as skill.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

No Wave posted:

Jeez I havent seen braum in ages.

good

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

FallenGod posted:

The draw is the way the Expedition System works means that more often than not you are not rubbing random piles of trash together but interesting variants on constructed themes. As an example you can straight up draft an Draven Jinx deck in Expedition and you’ll usually get a solidly playable synergistic deck.

Sometimes this doesn’t work out and the buckets could use some expanding and redesigning but on the whole it’s a super solid idea.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Braum is just a super weird card. I wanted to believe there was potentially more to him than just stacking take heart and preying on fair decks but no thats all there is. What a scumbag.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

I know, I love him

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Limited is about making the best deck you can out of what you're offered and trying to predict what your opponent has drafted so you know what you can answer and what you just have to play around. I actually don't love Expeditions because you can't really finetune your deck like in Arena, picking three cards at a time adds a lot of jank to your decks which you might or might not replace later.

DrOgreface
Jun 22, 2013

His Evil Never Sleeps
Do you get a free expedition every week or something?

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

What I like the most about limited formats is that you get to play against things other than the strongest netdecks over and over again. In digital TCG constructed formats it often feels like playing the meta is way more important than playing the matches themselves.

I think the main problem is that FTP competitive systems encourage you to play for the reward rather than for the "fun" so everyone just gravitates towards the path of least resistance.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

DrOgreface posted:

Do you get a free expedition every week or something?

Yes, if you hit level 10 on your vault

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

No Wave posted:

Braum is just a super weird card. I wanted to believe there was potentially more to him than just stacking take heart and preying on fair decks but no thats all there is. What a scumbag.

He is suffering from being a side effect of the Kalista change. Old Kalista paired great with Braum because of his huge regenerating health pool and her giving him power to actually kill challenge targets.

He effectively Gave Kalista 9/12 health against damage, which only actually counted on damage point 7/10 and she’d just bring him back next attack if you do manage to chew through him to hurt Kalista.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

what a shame that we missed out on yet another broken SI card.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

limited is fun because you're using all of the proverbial buffalo

but expedition is specifically fun because you build your deck as you go, and you're given generally synergistic cards. Even the worst card in a bucket has some use paired with the other cards in the same faction or deck archetype and I find it more enjoyable to figure out how to win within those limits and learn how to rate and appreciate cards outside of the very optimized constructed sphere.

PLUS I don't just pay once for the chance to 0-3 and get basically no value, I'm rolling dice with advantage.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I feel like more cards are good in constructed than expedition tbh.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Overwhelm being able to smash through barrier is some huge amounts of bullshit. Someone threw a bunch of spells on a champ and got it up to 22 damage and I figured I had the best play cause I just threw barrier on my guy but overwhelm overwhelms magical barriers and logic itself.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Qubee posted:

Overwhelm being able to smash through barrier is some huge amounts of bullshit. Someone threw a bunch of spells on a champ and got it up to 22 damage and I figured I had the best play cause I just threw barrier on my guy but overwhelm overwhelms magical barriers and logic itself.

the keyword says it negates the damage the unit would take. overwhelm is not damage the unit is taking and so doesnt get blocked.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Why wouldn't you expect it to work like that? If the blocker dies/gets bounced do you think overwhelm should do no damage?

E: if you read only the tooltip of overwhelm I could see where you're coming from, but I think the "prevent damage they would take" on barrier makes it pretty clear

misguided rage fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Feb 22, 2020

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Shabadu posted:

limited is fun because you're using all of the proverbial buffalo
You're also using all the elnuk which are kind of like buffalo

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

it's not intuitive imo. Barriers look like they take infinity damage once then disappear.

That said I think this implementation is correct balance wise and mechanically.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
This doesn't help but when a Savage Reckoner hits a weenie I picture it like a huge anime dude running up and punting a little animal into the sky

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
The real bullshit is that barrier negates lifelink.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

No Wave posted:

post it pls

I went 7 wins in expedition with Von Yipp/SI spiders, Elise and brood and hapless just swarming the board in value.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Yeah overwhelm going through barriers and empty blocks is pretty vital balance wise right now, changing this in favor of barrier spells would make control decks stronger. It would also buff glimpse beyond which is a huge no.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Buller posted:

The real bullshit is that barrier negates lifelink.

I wondered why the hell I died the other day when I was blocking with a 12/11 lifelink dude that should've kept me out of lethal range

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Why do they even give you the option to surrender an expedition if they're going to lock you out of the mode for using it? I'm in free play, got an absolutely atrocious draft where almost everything either cost 5+ or was a spell and had to just start grabbing any old poo poo to make sure I had stuff I could play in the first four turns. I decided to just write it off since it's not costing me anything and now I have to wait twenty minutes before I can start another expedition :mad:

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
I mean if I had to guess it's to stop people from doing exactly what you're trying to do? I don't think they have seperate queues for people who are still doing their first three, it would be very lame to have to play against a player who got to startscum into the perfect deck.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
I wasn't trying to get a perfect deck but yeah, that's a fair point. Would have been nice to get a warning though, definitely wouldn't have taken twenty minutes to lose two in a row with the topheavy mess I'd wound up with :v:

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I've been burned by RNG in expeditions for the first time, lost to every shadow islands deck I encountrres, which is like half a dozen times, at least. Rekindler is a very busted card.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

I think I'm addicted to Thermo Beam, card is just so versatile and makes you think hard about how to best use it. With Deny at 4 it's a lot more usable now too. I was playing my Jinx deck earlier against an Ashe midrange deck and blasted all three of their Ashes straight to hell with all three of my Thermo Beams over the course of the game. :allears:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

It's very very strong, one of the top PnZ cards.

The card I'm interested in right now is Noxian Guillotine. It's so awkward given that you can't queue it up (for example - you could imagjne being able to target guillotine on an undamaged unit during combat then casting death lotus so that the unit is damaged when guillotine resolves, but it doesnt work that way ) but it's so strong sometimes. Hard to find a deck to put it in.

What's really nice about it is if you target a unit with it that unit is almost cerrainly dead, the only card that can heal damage at fast/burst speed is health potion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Guillotine is much stronger when you cast it with a lot of mana, which sadly makes it prime deny material.