Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
The UCU strikes have got me thinking a bit and I'm wondering what you all think about something - fully expect to be yelled at.

So way back at the start of my PhD I was running a student seminar series with a bunch of other guys, long story short the last one fell on a strike day (we found out long after it was planned). We seriously discussed calling it off but decided against it because 1) it was happening out of working hours (6-8pm) and nobody gives a poo poo about student seminars, we were getting at best a couple of the PhD/masters people turning up for the free wine, 2) whether it went on or not made zero difference to anything, because I'm pretty sure nobody outside of the people directly involved cared (or even knew) it was happening, certainly none of the faculty outside of the one person dealing with the funding and - most of all - 3) we had people presenting from across the UK and one guy from France who had already booked travel/accommodation.

What do you do in this situation? It felt like cancelling it would gently caress over a bunch of people for basically zero benefit to the strike, so being good utilitarians we didn't. Still felt so bad doing it and wondering if we made the right call.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Feb 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

ThomasPaine posted:

The UCU strikes have got me thinking a bit and I'm wondering what you all think about something - fully expect to be yelled at.

So way back at the start of my PhD I was running a student seminar series with a bunch of other guys, long story short the last one fell on a strike day (we found out long after it was planned). We seriously discussed calling it off but decided against it because 1) it was happening out of working hours (6-8pm) and nobody gives a poo poo about student seminars, we were getting at best a couple of the PhD/masters people turning up for the free wine, 2) whether it went on or not made zero difference to anything, because I'm pretty sure nobody outside of the people directly involved cared (or even knew) it was happening, certainly none of the faculty outside of the one person dealing with the funding and - most of all - 3) we had people presenting from across the UK and one guy from France who had already booked travel/accommodation.

What do you do in this situation? It felt like cancelling it would gently caress over a bunch of people for basically zero benefit to the strike, so being good utilitarians we didn't. Still felt so bad doing it and wondering if we made the right call.

I would probably have done the same in your situation especially given the guy from France, so no yelling from me.
As an undergrad in London during 'the bins' and the unburied bodies, our NUS leaders in our college (all arts students) kept calling us out on strike. OK for them with their 2 hours of lectures a week and doing their reading and essay writing behind the barricades, but for us STEM students, we had 20 hours of lectures/labs a week and no way of making it up so we used to shin over the back fence so we weren't crossing the picket line.
I made up for it during the miners' strike when I worked for an alarm company and I used to issue credit notes for all the mine workers' social clubs - where soup kitchens etc were operating - when their alarms went off. It was £50 callout fee for a visit from an engineer then in the early 80s!! Shockingly expensive and unwarranted in my opinion as most of the time the engineer would open the panel, hit the thing with a hammer or stick some tin foil on the tape or something equally simple and be gone in 10 mins.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

No posts for two hours? Has someone poisoned the entire stock of the corn snack that dare not speak it's name?

*breathlessly bursts into thread*

Nice n Spicy Nik Naks are a worthy contender of even flamin hot monster munch for top crisp due to the sheer quantity of them you get in a bag

E: also I didn’t see anyone else post so Podcasting is Praxis - Episode 29 - Bristol Transformed

Sanitary Naptime fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Feb 22, 2020

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Sanitary Naptime posted:

Nice n Spicy Nik Naks are a worthy contender

:hmmyes:

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Rib N Saucy though

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/AaronBastani/status/1230892305160208385?s=20

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Azza Bamboo posted:

Rib N Saucy though

:yeah:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

NEC Candidate Keith Hussein has now been suspended. Don't know what for (but I can guess).

Graham Durham's suspension seems to be for calling the Chief Rabbi a Tory.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Feb 22, 2020

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

What am I looking at here?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It looks like someone nicked a giant brass lion off the front of some fancy building but I'm not sure either.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Grenfell:

https://twitter.com/PeteApps/status/1230548201729593344?s=20

(whole article is revealed if you click the image in the tweet).

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
oh no, we accidentally let an awful racist fash go on a bigoted rant during prime time :(. ah well, best just repost the whole thing on the official twitter with a Value Neutral recap that presents her views as normal
https://twitter.com/bbcquestiontime/status/1230625055803133953

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Jesus Christ

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

It used to be the audience of question time making GBS threads on the BNP; now the audience is the BNP

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
It's okay, it's okay to give up on portions of this country; some are irredeemably bad

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday

I love how she casually drops that the figures are a "UN estimate". She is not pulling this faux concern out of her 👏 ARSE 👏 these are OFFICIAL stats.

I'm hype for our children of men style future.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Brand shiny new pod to start the weekend! We've got an Actual Guest Star on this time, one of the organisers of Bristol Transformed to talk about community organising and many other stuffs.

https://twitter.com/PraxisCast/status/1230971036310671361?s=19

Hope you enjoy!

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

Skarsnik posted:

Ours got taken out last year and the local college wanted to take it off our hands for teaching. They're getting very rare these days but there are apparently enough of them out there heating old people's houses badly and probably dangerously they need to teach how to fix them still.

I used to work on these things, there are hundreds in the Medway Towns alone (Along with a ton of lovely, very old Warm Air heating) - the gammon where replacing the old units with new ones just before the minimum efficiency regulations came into force.
The difference is the new ones have electric ignition rather than a permanent pilot light, there still just as bad otherwise, and there going to be around for another 20 odd years.

A lot of the new build houses have a decorative gas fire in the main room, which needs a 100cm2 hold in the wall to be safe, which kinda undoes the improved insulation requirements... of course, most people just block the vent and run the risk of CO poisoning.

Renfield fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Feb 22, 2020

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

incredible apology

https://twitter.com/RedRosa91940184/status/1230607801791242241?s=20

this is what they were apologising for

https://www.thejc.com/news/uk-news/ipso-upholds-labour-activist-s-accuracy-complaint-against-jc-1.493698

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/dailymaverick/status/1231126516148379649?s=20

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I'm completely unsurprised.

In better news, it's snowing quite hard here. Can't tell if it's going to lie yet, but the flakes are huge.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol this country is a parody of itself

https://twitter.com/vicderbyshire/status/1231121039301730304?s=20

lol though

https://twitter.com/BenedictePaviot/status/1231126190317953025?s=20

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you need a british passport IMO you are insufficiently patriotic.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

the meltdowns when people have to queue and pay to get into europe is going to own

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/TheBirmingham6/status/1231159231417585665?s=20

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's wild how if these people were fictional characters you'd drag the book for being too heavy handed and one dimensional lol.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

I like that they were hammered for saying there were "a number of warnings" when that number was a big fat one.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

OwlFancier posted:

It's wild how if these people were fictional characters you'd drag the book for being too heavy handed and one dimensional lol.
This is why I reject any stories with sympathetic or multi-dimensional villains as inherently reactionary.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Ash Crimson posted:

It's okay, it's okay to give up on portions of this country; some are irredeemably bad

Hmm yes, perhaps they are some kind of under people?? :thunk:

Based perhaps on blood or soil???

You’re a case study in how nationalism can turn people into absolute loving weapons

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Good to see ScotLab taking a strong stance against having principles

https://twitter.com/HTScotPol/status/1230878579703107585?s=20

Got to stitch it up to ensure Jackie Bailie can ensure ScotLab never learns, never changes, keeps slipping into irrelevance & gets replaced as the party of the Scottish left by the Greens.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/JOE_co_uk/status/1230921735597428736

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

forkboy84 posted:

Good to see ScotLab taking a strong stance against having principles

https://twitter.com/HTScotPol/status/1230878579703107585?s=20

Got to stitch it up to ensure Jackie Bailie can ensure ScotLab never learns, never changes, keeps slipping into irrelevance & gets replaced as the party of the Scottish left by the Greens.

Honestly surprised they’re going as far as to do something like this considering the powerful melt tendency within scotlab.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Sanitary Naptime posted:

Hmm yes, perhaps they are some kind of under people?? :thunk:

Based perhaps on blood or soil???

You’re a case study in how nationalism can turn people into absolute loving weapons

No, it is based on gammonisity and support of brexit

Ps; I'm a pacifist, so i take umbridge with you calling me a weapon

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Ash Crimson posted:

No, it is based on gammonisity and support of brexit

Ps; I'm a pacifist, so i take umbridge with you calling me a weapon

Not a hint of a rebuff on the idea you consider people in “areas worth giving up on” as worth less than those closer to home, is it?

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

ThomasPaine posted:

Don't cut yourself up about it. My group held a seminar during the strike because the speaker wasn't at a UK university and it had been planned before the action was called. The universities make their money from tuition fees and research funding. Given that the funding agencies aren't what we're striking against I weight non-teaching related activities a little lower down the list for industrial action. Ideally a strike is a strike but given how international our research is it's challenging to inconvenience the university more than our colleagues elsewhere.

The most effective strike action undertaken in recent years was the refusal to mark exam scripts that happened about a decade ago. It was extremely strong because it didn't affect students in terms of learning and could easily leave them unaffected as the scripts could be marked later. It also had no impact on research. It *hosed* the universities though as suddenly there were no league tables, graduation calendars were in limbo and students were agitating for the uni to get their poo poo together and capitulate to the demands so that they could graduate. Annoyingly, this was ruled illegal as striking was considered binary: You can't pick and choose what work you do you can only either strike or work to rule.

jacksbrat
Oct 15, 2012

ThomasPaine posted:

It's in the past so not worth worrying about, but one option might have been to reschedule it (which is also not great) or relocate it off-campus and hook up with the union to turn it into a teach-out. That would require the speaker to be a bit of a comrade though and be comfortable maybe situating their talk in some aspect of the struggle and not giving the typical academic talk. I guess that would also affect their ability to claim travel expenses.

I only really post here when I'm on strike because I need the comradeship and I don't get it from my work peers.

There's a weird sort of alienation where people simply don't see themselves as employees but maybe feel more like contractors. I guess that's natural when fixed term employment is typical and you're not expected to stay in the same place after that contract is up. Anyway the end result seems to be that many researchers value getting "their own" work done more than the collective conditions the strike is about, and don't even see the union as something for them until they're permanent staff members.

And it doesn't help that everything, even on the Union's side, is framed in terms of teaching which is only a small part of the work done at a university. As I well know, when I came back last time to a printed email telling me to instruct my research assistants to do the time-sensitive data collection they missed while on strike. So basically they had to cram 2 weeks of missed work into 1 week (on top of that week's scheduled work) and the union told us the employer was legally in the right to demand that.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

My favourite thing in 2020 Labour is all the Starmer supporters saying things like "we need to purge the left-wing" having spent the past five years making GBS threads themselves loudly about mandatory reselection etc.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Junior G-man posted:

Brand shiny new pod to start the weekend! We've got an Actual Guest Star on this time, one of the organisers of Bristol Transformed to talk about community organising and many other stuffs.

https://twitter.com/PraxisCast/status/1230971036310671361?s=19

Hope you enjoy!

I will be taking a shot every time you make a Bristol Scale joke. Make sure the police know who killed me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt

sebzilla posted:

My favourite thing in 2020 Labour is all the Starmer supporters saying things like "we need to purge the left-wing" having spent the past five years making GBS threads themselves loudly about mandatory reselection etc.

Along with all the sensible dads who’ve spent years crying about entryism and the floods of people paying £3 to join & vote Corbyn now excitedly saying they and legions more are joining just to vote Starmer