Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

The camouflage to fight in Garry's Mod terrain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Dazzling camouflage.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Dead island has the worst dialogue and a bizarre Diablo loot system but it's actually a p great zombie game.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

sebmojo posted:

Dead island has the worst dialogue and a bizarre Diablo loot system but it's actually a p great zombie game.

The level design goes a bit downhill later on but it’s definitely super fun. Dying Light is better but Dead Island still kicks rear end, especially the resort area.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Hwurmp posted:

Alien: Isolation is still the tensest game ever made

It sucks because I liked the little I played of it. I love the atmosphere and the look of it. Just too tense for me.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

A Sometimes Food posted:

It's pretty great, though much more in the style of the older pre-SotN Castlevanias. So big mostly linear levels with loads of secrets and some branching then reconnecting paths and not a huge interconnected world.

Importantly it is incredibly good to control, the movement and combat is just straight up genius.

Short though. But cheap. So it's short and sweet and reasonably priced.

That sounds good, I'm not terribly familiar with Touhou, but I might pick that up at some point too. Thanks!

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

it is not until this very second that i have learned that my entire life i've been conflating "lodoss" and "macross" in my "vague knowledge of 80's/90's anime" repertoire

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Wiltsghost posted:

It sucks because I liked the little I played of it. I love the atmosphere and the look of it. Just too tense for me.

It took me forever to get beyond the first encounter, but it was really worth getting over that point. Amazing game, even better as most of the movies by now.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Wiltsghost posted:

Well if you can make it to the flamethrower all the tension goes away

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Got my first win on world of horror, it's very good even with the early access amount of content.

Best moment in a mystery so far is the Good End for the apartment eel mystery :getin:

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

So how is the tank mechanic game? I liked Car Mechanic simulator or whatever it was called, and was thinking about picking this up, but I was also worried that it is probably the same basic gameplay

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

StarkRavingMad posted:

So how is the tank mechanic game? I liked Car Mechanic simulator or whatever it was called, and was thinking about picking this up, but I was also worried that it is probably the same basic gameplay

It has the same basic gameplay except you spend most of the time repairing parts by pointing one of three tools at them. Sometimes you go out in a field and find a buried tank(you use a metal detector and where it beeps you click the dig button). The tanks have fewer parts than the average car in Car Mechanic sim and you don't have as many tools. (There is no diagnostic element or wheel balancing that sort of thing)
Less irritating to play than Car Mechanic but also not nearly as featured. Haven't run into any crashes but there's some frustrating bugs like parts not showing up in the shop.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Feb 22, 2020

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Hub Cat posted:

It has the same basic gameplay except you spend most of the time repairing parts by pointing one of three tools at them. Sometimes you go out in a field and find a buried tank(you use a metal detector and where it beeps you click the dig button). The tanks have fewer parts than the average car in Car Mechanic sim and you don't have as many tools. (There is no diagnostic element or wheel balancing that sort of thing)
Less irritating to play than Car Mechanic but also not nearly as featured. Haven't run into any crashes but there's some frustrating bugs like parts not showing up in the shop that sort of thing.

Okay, kind of sounds like a pass for now then. Thanks.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

sebmojo posted:

It's really, really stupid from start to finish and the plot is dumb as hell, but it's one of the funniest games to play when you're in the mood for something easy to break.

gently caress infected and zombies that toss poo poo at you forever, though.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Zombie Game Review Time

well they're more impressions. The deal is, I've been in a mood for zombies, so I've been poking through my steam library to shake out all the zombies in there. I give games a fair shake - but if I'm bored I'm out.

From worst to best:

Yet Another Zombie Defense HD: Very simple game, very simple design. While it's the worst I don't want to say that it's actually bad, it's just that it's so simple and so not for me that I have no intention of ever playing it ever again. You are standing on a single concrete parking lot, surrounded by the infinite void. It's a twin stick shooter but between rounds of zombies you can buy barricades and weapons. Zombies get harder between rounds. Sometimes new enemies are introduced. There is no plot, only numbers go up.

Dead Age: I think this was a mobile game originally? It feels like it. Anyways: turn-based rpg combat + zombies = you're a dude. You make it to camp. Camp says "go here and find survivors/supplies/etc". You do so, and it's all menu driven so you choose to travel and then to fight and so it's weirdly wave-based rpg combat? Highway (Day) has something like 20 stages, and every stage is one battle. Win battle, maybe get a short "you found a box, do you open it?" type event (choose wrong and you get ambushed). Collect supplies, turn back when you run out of health, back at base you get missions and craft stuff and it's.... yeah, it's pocket rpg battles with a zombie theme. It's not bad but the writing is extremely generic and I'm not willing to put up with jrpg combat without a story or a dungeon to explore. The combat might get more involved deeper in but I'm not sticking around.

Breach and Clear: Deadline Rebirth: Incredibly intricate UI and mechanics as these elite soldier men expected to be in regular Breach and Clear where you need flash-bangs and suppression fire and fancy tactics, but here the enemies are stupid and it's kind of... I didn't play much of this as I wasn't enthralled, but the first bits were "make sure zombies aren't too close as you shoot. you win" gameplay. I think I got this game for like, a dollar? Part of a bundle with Breach and Clear so I don't regret checking it out but it's not a good fit for the engine. Oh, and its steam reviews suck because the dev did something terrible and removed multiplayer? I think?

How to Survive: It's Path of Exile but with zombies and a zombie-themed crafting system and really light mechanics. I want to like this one but like, I have trouble keeping engaged with PoE-likes in the first place as the gameplay gets so repetitive, and this one strips out all of the complicated and weird builds from Titan Quest or PoE or what have you and ehhhhh. I'm not bored enough for it, and I'd rather be playing Zombasite instead, even if that game isn't actually a zombie game according to my standards.

Splatter: This one gets listed so low not because it is bad but because I cannot get the drat thing to work in a window. It'll go to windowed size but you can't alt-tab from it, and it messes up the cursor grabbing. I could then play it full-screen I guess but it's a twin-stick shooter with hilariously edgy/grimdark/trying-so-hard-to-be-dark-and-noir-it-wraps-around-to-funny writing. Which is to say I'd enjoy it if I could alt-tab properly and chat with friends inbetween levels, but fullscreen is me making time for it and ehhhh.

Zombie Army Trilogy: Nazi zombies vs snipers = if the level design weren't so linear and capped with awful wave-based fights complete with AWFUL bosses that take like 6 headshots to kill, I'd enjoy this. It's got a fun vibe and atmosphere and I love the sniping mechanics (especially with how they play with how zombies can head-bob weirdly or skeletons that need heart-shots) but it just isn't well put-together. Not enough for me to play on, at least.

SPAZ: Probably shouldn't be in this list given that most of the time it's more standard Star Control-esque space combat (slippery twin stick shooter-ing) but the zombies... I like how they've translated them into starship stuff, with ships getting infected and such. A fun timewaster that's got some nice depth to it. By all rights this one should be lower on the list but no nope I like it. Even with the stupid unfunny writing and the repetitive gameplay.

7 Days to Die: I still haven't figured this one out honestly. To survive you have to build bases, but I cannot seem to wrap my head around how to do that? Like - okay. I'm not into building things in games usually. In minecraft I make stairs to a sky bridge, not an elaborate house. In sims I use pre-built homes. I experiment sometimes but it's just not something I grok. And here I have to do it for survival, because at night zombies become so fast they can outrun you. So I made a custom game where they can't do that, and the blood moon hoards don't happen, but I kind of got lost figuring out what to do then and I don't know. I'll come back to it, try it some more. Either way this thing goes here on the list because it gave me some genuine spooks as I snuck around zombietown, and I love the idea of the potential in it, if I can figure out how to survive reliably and so on. Next time I boot it up I might adopt a pre-made building and zombie-proof it and call that home, maybe.

Death Road to Canada: A little too zany for me, but the gameplay loop is so solid I can't hate it. It really captures the terror of looting in a hurry as the zombies mass up, and it gets the balance right with 1-2 zombies being easy but they come in giant awful clumps. The one problem with it: like last year I put 30+ hours into it and I'm still burnt out. Otherwise I'd gush more here.

Dead Rising: I'm growing to like it as I disregard the time limit.... is what I want to say, but goddamnit frank stop dying to a zombie just grabbing your sleeve and eating you! I can't even make it past the first boss/shooting section because I haven't figured out how to navigate zombie crowds yet. At least I'm leveling up in the process!

Dying Light: World's stupidest main plot, but the sidequests are really fun and often funny, mixed with the best parkour in video games. The idea of night getting really drat dangerous is a great one, and I like leveling up as I run around. That said combat feels really weak and awkward (even leveled up), and as zombies get more skills and types it becomes less fun to navigate. Whatever. I'll put more hours into it and have fun.

State of Decay: Three hours in and I'm really enjoying this game, flaws aside. Corny writing, wonky combat, time passing in-game whenever I close it (meaning people starve if I don't check back in tomorrow)....but drat if it doesn't nail the loop of scavenging places, hiding from zombies and supporting your own camp through its hard times. I want more of this thing. I will play more of it, and probably pick up the sequel when it drops. Right now it's almost my gold-standard for scratching that zombie itch. It would be the best, if not for

Project Zomboid: Pure hardcore horror as it captures effortlessly the sense of being the only living person left in suburbia. Build 41, while still in beta (you have to opt into it) is a triumph as the new animations are gorgeous and the combat revamp makes it feel... I don't know. I'm just so happy playing this dang thing, even if I screw up and die (often). It gets zombie combat right: no fancy moves, no guns, just you and a hoard of slow, stupid zeds. They hit the right balance of being lethal and harmless at the right time - one zombie will not kill you unless it catches you by surprise, which means you screwed up. Two zombies is genuinely threatening if you can't set things up right. Three often means running away. More? More is death. Run. Run and hide. (Obligatory note: Project Zomboid is still a WIP, I expect they'll be working on it forever, but as it stands I'm happy to think of it as a finished project. At least until Build 42 drops! Think of it like Starsector where each update is huge and you dive in again because the base gameplay loop is so much fun.)

I'm tired and loopy and not describing these things right, but just... zombies. Zombie games good. The joy of an apocalypse in process, you and your band out to survive, and people inevitably being greedy and stupid. I expect in a few days my monomania will pass and I'll find something else to obsess over for a week before moving on, but until then: give me your tired, your hungry, your shuffling masses....

e: some pedant is going to be all "there are guns in project zomboid, and at least one fancy kill animation with the spear" and yes thanks I know but guns are a deathtrap thanks to how loud they are, and spears take knowledge to get. most newbies are gonna start using a frying pan to kill zombies, as god intended

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Feb 22, 2020

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

A Bystander posted:

It's really, really stupid from start to finish and the plot is dumb as hell, but it's one of the funniest games to play when you're in the mood for something easy to break.

gently caress infected and zombies that toss poo poo at you forever, though.

The game legit lost some magic when they fixed the duping glitch.

Double Deux
Oct 30, 2010
I finished Broken Reality a few days back and now there's a gaping, vaporwave-shaped hole in my heart. Is there anything that pulls that aesthetic off as well or am I resigned to playing hypnospace outlaw on repeat?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

Zombie Game Review Time

Dead Rising: I'm growing to like it as I disregard the time limit.... is what I want to say, but goddamnit frank stop dying to a zombie just grabbing your sleeve and eating you! I can't even make it past the first boss/shooting section because I haven't figured out how to navigate zombie crowds yet. At least I'm leveling up in the process!

Dead Rising as a franchise is more miss then hit. The games were big at the time for "huge open world zombie game" but by now they're decent at best, with Dead Rising 2 OTR as the clear best of the first 3. Dead Rising 3/4 have this weird mental overlap in my head as being identical because in the time between DR3 came out and DR4 I can't remember hearing anything special or interesting about them.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I put almost 100 hours into Death Road to Canada and I still suck at it. I’ve got like 60% of the achievements unlocked but I can’t even imagine playing it on the highest 2 or 3 difficulties. Good game though.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Underwhelmed posted:

The game legit lost some magic when they fixed the duping glitch.

It seemed to exist when I last played the Definitive Edition on PS4 a few weeks back, so I would imagine that it still would on PC. I'm not going to go and check, though.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Double Cross is a short 2D action platformer that's not getting as much attention as it deserves. It's $5 for the rest of the month and well worth your time to check out.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Maximum Action's got a new map.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Been playing some Homeworld Remastered again. I love how utterly blunt the Kushan/Higaaran advisor is.

"The enemy carrier is located HERE. Assemble a strike group and destroy them."

It also has the coolest looking tactical map view in any RTS ever

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
i support the Space Pirates And Zombies recommendation

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

Been playing some Homeworld Remastered again. I love how utterly blunt the Kushan/Higaaran advisor is.

"The enemy carrier is located HERE. Assemble a strike group and destroy them."

It also has the coolest looking tactical map view everything in any RTS ever

Did they ever fix all the problems with the remaster? I could do with a playthrough of that game myself.

Also remake Cataclysm you cowards

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

StrixNebulosa posted:

Just mentioning a Dead Rising boss gives me minor PTSD.

WEEEELLLLLLLLLL HE AINT MY BOY BUT THE BROTHA IS HEAVY

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Flimf posted:

Did they ever fix all the problems with the remaster? I could do with a playthrough of that game myself.

Also remake Cataclysm you cowards

Blackbird went back and rebuilt the formation and projectile mechanics from scratch and put them into Homeworld Remastered and Homeworld 2 remastered. Makes the first game play more like the original, makes HW2 way harder.

Cataclysm recently got a rerelease under a different title because Blizzard Activision are litigious fuckers who trademarked Cataclysm as a name. It didn't get a remaster but the fact it's available at all nowadays is a goddamn miracle.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Cataclysm's source files are apparently long, long gone - except for the harddrive sitting in someone's garage that seems to always exist in these cases - so that plus the legal stuff means there's no chance of it unless someone gets super ambitious.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

For me, it would be the Dead Rising 2 chain vomit-inducing weapons.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Dead Rising 2's bosses are actually worse. Each is more rage-inducing than the last. I'm pretty sure the whole thing is a troll of some kind.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Wait, there's a Way of the Samurai spin-off out there?

And it's an... isometric... action... roguelike?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1062340/KATANA_KAMI_A_Way_of_the_Samurai_Story/

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

SelenicMartian posted:

Wait, there's a Way of the Samurai spin-off out there?

And it's an... isometric... action... roguelike?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1062340/KATANA_KAMI_A_Way_of_the_Samurai_Story/

A mysterious dungeon game where you're trying to kindle both sides of a conflict to sell more swords, which does sound interesting at least.

Also it has Dona Dona and a genuflect button..

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Both DR3 and 4 ditch the time limit (well, in 3 the highest difficulty puts it back in, but w/e). I know people will hiss at the idea of recommending those games over 1 and 2, especially 4, but if the eccentricities of the earlier games aren't to your tastes then hey you've got two more options to try. :shrug:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I had lots of fun with the vehicles in DR3; they tend to solve the crowd-navigation problems very easily.
Did not care for the bosses though, both concept-wise and gameplay.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Arcsquad12 posted:

"The enemy carrier is located HERE. Assemble a strike group and destroy them." "The prisoner did not survive interrogation."

It also has the coolest looking tactical map view in any RTS ever

The dialogue in the homeworld games has such a distinctive voice to it. It's got a real sense of using brevity to maximum effect, and it'll take something that most games would make a giant deal out of (like Cataclysm's "This is the warship Kuun-Lan", or "Kharak is burning" in the first game) and just drop it in matter of factly. It makes it way more powerful than if the game is beating you over the head going "FEEEEL THIIIIINGGS!!!!"

I was listening to that song in the car yesterday. I don't know why but I fuckin' love Gone Guru. It also works as a great "person who's played dead rising" detector because they'll instantly have angry flashbacks to the convicts.

Dead Rising 2's bosses are actually worse. Each is more rage-inducing than the last. I'm pretty sure the whole thing is a troll of some kind.

The worst of them usually have some way to cheese them or weapon they're vulnerable to. Sniper rifle headshots always work well.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Does anyone have problems with XBox controllers in Witcher 3? Tutorials not going away, weird mappings that make no sense, buttons just not working...

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

The beer hat and the alcohol book combined is pretty much the automatic win button in DR2.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

:psyduck:

(That is a pretty great song though)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

In

Inhaust