Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Vib Rib posted:

If you played the original TFC or TNFC or TNFC:EZ, this page will do a pretty good job of outlining the differences between the old and new versions: https://plus.terrafirmacraft.com/Differences_From_TFC

Oh, this is very nice looking. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Vib Rib posted:

especially since the 1.12.2 port seems to be... not going as well.

What trouble are you having? I imagine every item ID in your quest book is kaput at a minimum...

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

What trouble are you having? I imagine every item ID in your quest book is kaput at a minimum...
I meant the 1.12.2 port of TFC itself seems shaky. But yeah almost no part of the 1.7.10 pack would carry over, as every single TFC addon is broken, almost every mod has changed drastically, and a ton of them straight up discontinued.

Lordy
Jan 2, 2011
I haven't played any real modpack in QUITE a while, I think the last one I tried to actually do more than look at the modlist and despair was Big Dig on Tekkit.

I am looking for a modpack that has some sort of direction now? To reintroduce me to all the new mechanics and stuff. I tried the Skyfactory 4 one and Sky Odyssey but they both kinda just tell you well make this and in no way explain why or what I am even doing. Also I am not really into vibrating next to 15 different kinds of trees.

Stoneblock 2 was ok I guess but also not that much better in actually EXPLAINING what I am doing. I don't want to watch 15 hours of let's play to find out what machine does what.

Is there any Kitchen Sink or Skyblock pack that at least somewhat explains whats going on or why I am doing stuff?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Lordy posted:

I haven't played any real modpack in QUITE a while, I think the last one I tried to actually do more than look at the modlist and despair was Big Dig on Tekkit.

I am looking for a modpack that has some sort of direction now? To reintroduce me to all the new mechanics and stuff. I tried the Skyfactory 4 one and Sky Odyssey but they both kinda just tell you well make this and in no way explain why or what I am even doing. Also I am not really into vibrating next to 15 different kinds of trees.

Stoneblock 2 was ok I guess but also not that much better in actually EXPLAINING what I am doing. I don't want to watch 15 hours of let's play to find out what machine does what.

Is there any Kitchen Sink or Skyblock pack that at least somewhat explains whats going on or why I am doing stuff?

I found that Project Ozone was pretty self contained. It doesn't spell everything out, but you can figure out what the machines do from NEI and the game basically explains itself.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Lordy posted:

Unfortunately the vast majority of modpacks don't really offer any actual explanation of how their various mods actually work. Kitchen Sink packs by their very nature are just a bunch of mods thrown together and at best you'll get "quests" that are make X thing. Expert packs are just ones that gate the recipes to offer a sort of progression via the various mods (e.g. in PO3 Mekanism requires Pneumatic Craft).

The only pack I can think of that explicitly has a goal of teaching you the mods is FTB Academy, but I've never actually played it so I don't know how well it does at that.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Vib Rib posted:

I meant the 1.12.2 port of TFC itself seems shaky. But yeah almost no part of the 1.7.10 pack would carry over, as every single TFC addon is broken, almost every mod has changed drastically, and a ton of them straight up discontinued.

Do you have a grasp on how far TFC went along to 1.12.2? I remember there being a lot of ambitions. In particular, buildings collapsing from decay was some odd thing they were playing around with. I have to imagine that would screw up a lot of stuff. I tried to scroll the changelog and it all looks pretty normal. I wonder how many of the fixes are from porting to 1.12.2 and how much are just bugs that have always been there.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Do you have a grasp on how far TFC went along to 1.12.2? I remember there being a lot of ambitions. In particular, buildings collapsing from decay was some odd thing they were playing around with. I have to imagine that would screw up a lot of stuff. I tried to scroll the changelog and it all looks pretty normal. I wonder how many of the fixes are from porting to 1.12.2 and how much are just bugs that have always been there.
My understanding of TFC:The New Generation is that they're still trying to just get back to baseline in 1.12.2. None of the new cool stuff really exists yet, though they have managed to limit various things, like making the crucible slower! Hooray!

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Vib Rib posted:

making the crucible slower! Hooray!

Pffffffft so immersive!

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Occasionally I get tempted to try and make a modpack with quests giving details on various mods. Thinking about structure right now.

Maybe something like Basic Power with the quest text discussing the various basic machines that can produce power and branching off into the various kinds of more advanced power? Same with ore processing and item sorting/storage. Maybe a dedicated chapter for each mod for deeper stuff like how to make alloys or other more unique machines?

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
If anyone is interested in an RLcraft goon server, we just started a new map over in the goons.cx thread. keepInventory is on, and I'm planning on building a horrible menagerie of every tamable creature.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Eox posted:

If anyone is interested in an RLcraft goon server, we just started a new map over in the goons.cx thread. keepInventory is on, and I'm planning on building a horrible menagerie of every tamable creature.

Never played RLcraft before so I hopped on to try it out and the spawn point is covered in angry level 10 Ventoraptors. A+ experience would recommend.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Lycanites is a good mod when you start taming and soulbinding things but the events are a loving curse

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
I got over Lycanites when a goon server I played on had it and building a nether portal meant you'd randomly get floating skulls fly out of it and blow up anything not explosion-proof, including you.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
All I really want from minecraft modding is a good flexible storage system with support for automating crafting, with support for eventually automating gathering resources (mobs/farming/mining etc). I don't really care a ton about alternate dimensions or like magic/alchemy/flowers and stuff I've tried in the past has ended up relying a lot on those for mob farms in a way that was just really opaque to me and/or straight up didn't have any non-vanilla options for the sake of 'simplicity.'

Can anyone recommend me a good modpack with that in mind? QOL addons are fine and probably appreciated, but I've barely even exhausted what vanilla can do and don't really want to get bogged down in dozens of side paths (especially when they have like zero interplay with the options I already have)

edit: I did enjoy AE as a storage system last time I tried to muck around with it, but I think whatever pack I was using had some stuff not working/outright disabled for energy generation and I ended up getting fed up and made an infinite energy block as a result, which obviously undercut all that progression and led to me eventually getting bored and giving up

flatluigi fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Feb 19, 2020

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
This is all I've ever wanted too. I haven't played on PC in several years, but the last I really played was with...Tekkit+, I want to say? I stuck to AE, MFR, MMMPS, TC, and that was really it. I hated IndustrialCraft and BuildCraft and sloggy grindy mods.

Whatever happened to those mods anyway?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
AE2 is really the absolute best storage and autocrafting once you get it set up, imo. The only annoying part is the meteors.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I'll still go to bat for Refined Storage, on account of both its handling of liquids and overall storage simplicity.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Vib Rib posted:

I'll still go to bat for Refined Storage, on account of both its handling of liquids and overall storage simplicity.

Yeah Refined Storage + Logistics Pipes is the best and also easiest storage system.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Vib Rib posted:

looking at that it might actually be the mod I'm remembering I was playing with, oops

edit: yep, lmao

so same question as above but with refined storage this time I guess

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Vib Rib posted:

Refined Storage is absolute hell on server TPS, though. Multiple full seconds per tick of latency per controller.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

dragonshardz posted:

Refined Storage is absolute hell on server TPS, though. Multiple full seconds per tick of latency per controller.

It's also the only thing that's corrupted a world for me

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

dragonshardz posted:

When was this? Because it got a (relatively, within Minecraft terms) recent update that totally overhauled its networking and load. Every time RS comes up someone says this and I haven't seen anyone attest to it more recently than a few years.
That said if it did corrupt someone's world or destroy a server I can see why that's not the sort of thing you'd want to risk a second try on, especially for something as minor as "AE2 but slightly different" even in the best case scenario.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Vib Rib posted:

When was this? Because it got a (relatively, within Minecraft terms) recent update that totally overhauled its networking and load. Every time RS comes up someone says this and I haven't seen anyone attest to it more recently than a few years.
That said if it did corrupt someone's world or destroy a server I can see why that's not the sort of thing you'd want to risk a second try on, especially for something as minor as "AE2 but slightly different" even in the best case scenario.

Uh...I'd have to look in my own logs but it was pretty recent. Couple people on DPT6 had RS systems that were up in the multiple seconds of processing time per tick, even if they were unpowered.

I'm also not really a fan of RS keeping all the NBT data for drive contents in a single file. Makes it a pretty laborious process to restore someone's drives from backup.

E: June of last year is when we shut down DPT6. So if there has been an update since then I'm willing to load up the problem map and see if things are any better.

dragonshardz fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Feb 20, 2020

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Even recently I have played on a server where someone's RS system has up and sent the server into a boot loop for no apparent reason, fixed only by nuking and replacing the controller. And then caused another boot loop when the player moved said controller. We also observed painful tick usage by the mod, and this was over the past year. Also yes the ridiculous NBT file storing not only all drive contents for the server but also the status/facing of every block and cable was a very :psyduck: find.

A coder friend recently mentioned that they looked through AE2's code and all its blocks get an allocation of tick time based on what they needed in the previous tick; if a block has to do a lot of stuff, more tick time gets gradually allocated, if it's idle it basically uses nothing despite still being powered and technically active. So that's neat.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Feb 21, 2020

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Black Pants posted:

Even recently I have played on a server where someone's RS system has up and sent the server into a boot loop for no apparent reason, fixed only by nuking and replacing the controller. And then caused another boot loop when the player moved said controller. We also observed painful tick usage by the mod, and this was over the past year. Also yes the ridiculous NBT file storing not only all drive contents for the server but also the status/facing of every block and cable was a very :psyduck: find.

A coder friend recently mentioned that they looked through AE2's code and all its blocks get an allocation of tick time based on what they needed in the previous tick; if a block has to do a lot of stuff, more tick time gets gradually allocated, if it's idle it basically uses nothing despite still being powered and technically active. So that's neat.

Despite hating some of the game mechanics in AE2 - in-world entity crafting is always a giant pain in the rear end, and meteors suck - the mod itself is extremely competently made.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
If you could rip out the AE2 crystals, solderers and CPUs I would use it a whole lot more. They are not interesting engineering tasks to getting your slightly better inventory interface running. RS used to have some of that and removed them due to not adding anything but tedium. Really wish that mod was more stable.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Blind Duke posted:

If you could rip out the AE2 crystals, solderers and CPUs I would use it a whole lot more. They are not interesting engineering tasks to getting your slightly better inventory interface running. RS used to have some of that and removed them due to not adding anything but tedium. Really wish that mod was more stable.

HoboJoe's progress pack does this right, IMO -- there's craft tweaker recipes to add straight up 3x3 crafting recipes for processors at a materials premium. That way, if you want to conserve materials, you can do it the standard AE2 way, or if you just want a dang terminal and ME drive and disks you can burn extra stuff to get it online quickly.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Progress is just really we designed and would be perfect is Joe would just add Thaumcraft. :argh:

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Blind Duke posted:

Agreed. It's nontrivial to do, but it's very worthwhile. The only crafting-to-craft thing that can't be disabled and maintain feature parity is the singularities for the quantum rings.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

HoboJoe's progress pack does this right, IMO -- there's craft tweaker recipes to add straight up 3x3 crafting recipes for processors at a materials premium. That way, if you want to conserve materials, you can do it the standard AE2 way, or if you just want a dang terminal and ME drive and disks you can burn extra stuff to get it online quickly.

I generally like the design of encouraging someone to invest in automation by making it more efficient in materials use. This is something Progress does well and that I also pursued in DPT6.

I really wish more mods and modpacks did the same, instead of diving down the rabbit hole of adding additional layers of crafting. If someone wants to just craft the thing, let them!

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

dragonshardz posted:

Despite hating some of the game mechanics in AE2 - in-world entity crafting is always a giant pain in the rear end, and meteors suck - the mod itself is extremely competently made.

Crafttweaker and AE2 Stuff exist to fix all your problems, at least.

(I disabled meteors and gave the presses/sky stone simple recipes in my pack)

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
That one storage mod combo that roguelike adventures and dungeons has is pretty good. Dead simple, works well, and I love the visual of plugging my terminal into a chest the size of a house.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I heard my name.

AE2 is probably the single best MC mod in my opinion, but it definitely has a couple questionable mechanics particularly in the early-game. I made some recipes to help work around this flaw without undoing too much of the design of the mod.

1) You don't need to throw ingredients in water anymore to craft fluix anymore. This is a dumb tedious mechanic.
2) You don't need inscribers to make processors. This not only bypasses the really hard-to-automate inscribers, but it also bypasses the need for a metal press. These recipes are a little more expensive than the inscribers though, which provides an inventive to still get creative with automation to save on materials after you get your first network components up.

But you should use AE2Stuff to get the easier-to-automate inscriber and much better growth chamber.

All of these recipes are on github and I encourage everyone to use them so you can enjoy AE2 fully without running right into its more frustrating mechanics. All you need is crafttweaker.
https://github.com/thehobojoe/Progress/blob/client/1.12.2/.minecraft/scripts/AE.zs

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nx87eVEDjNA

The latest direwolf20 video has me wanting to play minecraft again.

All that interesting crazy odd stuff in a kitchen sink pack that gives a bit of old technic modpacks vibe.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

SugarAddict posted:

All that interesting crazy odd stuff in a kitchen sink pack that gives a bit of old technic modpacks vibe.

Ice and Fire is in the pack though...

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

SugarAddict posted:

I saw BattleTowers in the thumbnail and immediately closed it.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Gave the terrafirmacraft+ a try. It's a mixed bag, but I'm enjoying it. Tons of changes.

The Good:
* You can make a 9 slot chest with 5 straw!
* Two new types of copper-bearing ore were added, allowing every rock type to spawn copper.
* You can make lime (which is crafted into flux) from seashells, which spawn on beaches (which are everywhere.) Flux stone still exists, though -- if you find an area with flux rock sand or gravel, you can process one of these into 5 lime and the stones themselves into 1 lime.
* You can distill sea water into salt and fresh water with a small multiblock still made from clay.
* There are leather and hide bags, but I haven't tried making them yet. They decay eventually.
* Fruit tree saplings are made by decaying fruit in clay vessels with dirt, so no more RNG for spreading your orchard.
* Straw and hide beds function as regular beds.
* There's a ton of different types of cloth, freeing you from dependence on sheep.
* Vinegar is made by just letting alcohol age uncovered, rather than requiring extra fruit additions.

The Neutral:
* Trees look nicer, but in large quantities they cause horrid FPS, and in wet areas there are tons of trees.
* The temperature system was expanded to include personal comfort. If it's too hot or too cold, you suffer debuffs and increased hunger/thirst. You can craft clothing to mitigate this, or build a house with a roof.
* Making lime (and in turn, leather and flux) requires you to process seashells or flux stone, a process that either requires a forge, or a combination of the hottest burning woods, a firepit, and a ceramic blowpipe.
* There's a wounds system that I haven't really interacted with since I play on peaceful.

The Bad:
* There is a TON of ground clutter. Bushes, tall grass, and in wet areas there's all sorts of undergrowth. They look nice, but the ground clutter interferes strongly with one of the core gameplay elements of the early game -- looking for flat stuff on the ground.
* Worlds are now broken into regions, and some plants are regionally specific. For example, you can't find Jute in the Americas region.
* Small ceramic pots no longer preserve food (except grains.) To preserve food, you need burlap sacks, which require either Jute or Agave.
* Crops are much rarer.
* Farm animals spawn as wild variants, and they attack you if you try to kill them.
* Monsters in TFC are still bullshit. (Peaceful mode is good.)

Overall, it's quite a bit of fun, but that bit about crops being rarer has made it quite difficult for me to get started. I've blown through about 8 worlds before I finally found an area with jute AND some sort of grain for taming a horse. Having a horse should help with the ground clutter problem.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I'm actually finding crops more easily than I did before, which I think is a consequence of probably just having bad luck in prior plays.
That said, the amount vessels and burlap sacks slow down decay is crazy. It reduces it to like 15% all by itself.

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.
MC Eternal isn't bad but my suggestion is to tone down ice and fire dragons and disable the mobs from Midnight that steal your tamed animals (including dragons).
I disabled the TNT throwing creeper and trollager terrain destruction too because having dozens of craters around was irritating.

I like Electroblob's and Roguelike Dungeons though.

It's a kitchen sink pack so there plenty of easily abused mod interactions that I've been trying to avoid to keep it interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

I saw BattleTowers in the thumbnail and immediately closed it.

I'm pretty sure you can turn off battletowers in that modpack and nothing bad would happen.