Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

pseudanonymous posted:

Tough Mudder "benefited" a hilarious "charity" the wounded warrior project, which would literally throw parties for soldiers who were injured. That's it. They didn't like... give them money or help them get access to needed things like prosthetics. Nope, they just threw them a party. With the donations and fees. Less expenses.

I would love to read more about this. I always thought there was something skeevy about that organization.

Also I always imagined that their logo was some kind of mutant man with a scorpion tail for an arm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer

Detective No. 27 posted:

I would love to read more about this. I always thought there was something skeevy about that organization.

Also I always imagined that their logo was some kind of mutant man with a scorpion tail for an arm.

Not sure about all that but the people running it sure as hell have had a good time.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
Just In Time ordering on the retail level is a great idea because it moves warehousing from retail stores where square footage is obscenely expensive and product is handled on a per-case or per-unit basis to intermediate warehouses in the boonies where square footage is extremely cheap and product is handled on a per-pallet basis. It brings down storage and handling costs and encourages a robust internal supply system and raises a company's income on a per-retail-sqft basis.

Just In Time ordering on a warehouse basis is the dumbest poo poo ever and relies on both your suppliers and potentially multiple freight carriers between your suppliers and your intermediate warehouses to be fast and efficient with their production and transport of your goods when they have precisely no financial incentive to do so, or more often a dramatic financial incentive to do the exact opposite.

When I was with Publix we went to Just In Time ordering for stores in 2007 and everything got a lot better immediately. We started getting fewer trucks per day spread over more truck days and we were generally never without product for more than a day or two and customers were happy.

Then we went to Just In Time for the warehouses around 2010 and everything immediately went to poo poo, with product out of stocks lasting for weeks and a single misprojected promotion resulting in hundreds of stores being entirely out of sale product for the full ad week and dramatically increased shipping costs as we tried to expedite shipments from suppliers who did not give two shits about us. Customer satisfaction hit the lowest levels it ever had and we had to re-buy warehouse space at dramatically increased rates to correct course and the bonuses based on profitability were basically nonexistent for a full year. It took years to recover.

Between the 2008 crash and the Warehouse Just In Time transition the company nearly ate it and had to dramatically scale back benefits and raises to get through (and they never went back to previous levels, natch) and they swore up and down that they'd never gently caress with the supply chain again.

I quit in 2015 when it became clear that they were preparing to do it again, and from what I heard from people who stayed it was exactly the same the second time.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Quite a lot of the inventory is actually moved to the containerships in transit. It is turned into a flow rather than being a stock.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
They found the phylactery for the sears at everett mall. It's gone now.

...I should visit the mall again, just in case the rest goes with it.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Freakazoid_ posted:

I don't have anything to add, but I love the phylactery bit. Sharp.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Frys should rent out shelves as "pod apartments"

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Has anyone seen a mall where the empty husk of Sears has been replaced with anything at all? Lotta burned in SEARS letters on the outer walls of malls where those signs used to be

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Ours has been worked on for the last several months, and just today they put up the signage for Marshall's and Home Sense. Which I'm pretty sure is like replacing Sears with Canadian Sears, but whatever.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Freakazoid_ posted:

Tacoma's is gone too.

Northwest malls are a strange beast, watching them adapt has been a trip.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
The Northgate mall was one of the first malls in the US. It's turning the old Macy's into a practice rink for the new hockey team and a massive light rail and park and ride station is under way. They won't let that husk of a mall die.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Mercury_Storm posted:

Has anyone seen a mall where the empty husk of Sears has been replaced with anything at all? Lotta burned in SEARS letters on the outer walls of malls where those signs used to be

The Sears at Alderwood Mall was flat out demolished and will get rebuilt as luxury apartments, directly attached to the mall, lol.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mercury_Storm posted:

Sears in my town was completely redone and the second floor became the Mall's new food court.

Not sure about the first floor, its still under construction.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Mercury_Storm posted:

I worked for Rackspace out in San Antonio until two years ago. They bought out the old Windsor mall when it failed and have just been refurbishing it in phases as they needed the office space. They saved a bunch of the old store signs to use to label conference rooms, and I’m pretty sure Sears was one, but I may not be remembering it right.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Laterite posted:

The Sears at Alderwood Mall was flat out demolished and will get rebuilt as luxury apartments, directly attached to the mall, lol.

I came here to post exactly this lol, but an entirely different mall!

https://theamazingbrentwood.com/

Their plan is to build a new mall where the parking lot used to be, and condos on the old mall which is largely empty storefronts.

The new mall is over 2 years behind schedule and the stores in the existing part are dropping like flies.

less than three fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Feb 22, 2020

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Jedi425 posted:

I worked for Rackspace out in San Antonio until two years ago. They bought out the old Windsor mall when it failed and have just been refurbishing it in phases as they needed the office space. They saved a bunch of the old store signs to use to label conference rooms, and I’m pretty sure Sears was one, but I may not be remembering it right.

This is the only feasible way to reuse a mall. In stages. These malls will loving collapse of old age or be blown up before being renovated in full.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

This is the only feasible way to reuse a mall. In stages. These malls will loving collapse of old age or be blown up before being renovated in full.

It's mind boggling to see a new mall being built on the same site as the old mall which is gonna be demolished but that's the timeline we live in.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Mercury_Storm posted:

My local mall's buying the space out from Sears and are going to redevelop it.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Yeah, there really isn't any such thing as a new anchor store these days. The last one I can remember coming in was ~20 years ago, and Famous-Barr only lasted four years.

Of the three local malls still standing, all of them have at least one empty anchor and have had since 2018.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Feb 22, 2020

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
malls are expensive to reuse but also expensive to demolish so you'll see a lot of redevelopment of the parking lots around them until the land value of the mall itself is sufficient for a profitable teardown or rehab

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Mercury_Storm posted:

I think ours is going to be a Planet Fitness.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Mercury_Storm posted:

My mall in North Charleston, Northwoods Mall, has had their Sears partially-replaced with a Burlington. Partially in the sense that only half of the Sears has been used and the other half is walled off and covered up. I guess they couldn't get an anchor store that wanted the full floor space (not a small amount, about the size of a J. C. Penney) which is strange considering that the mall is doing pretty well otherwise.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

The dead Sears at our local mall was torn down and a Dave and Buster's is apparently going to fill in the space.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

BlueBlazer posted:

Tacoma's is gone too.

Northwest malls are a strange beast, watching them adapt has been a trip.

Tacoma's is getting turned into a fancy 21+ theater with booze apparently, and we're probably getting some more restaurants too. Kind of stoked about the theater thing tbh, although I'm kind of over the novelty of getting a beer with my movie.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

DrNutt posted:

Tacoma's is getting turned into a fancy 21+ theater with booze apparently, and we're probably getting some more restaurants too. Kind of stoked about the theater thing tbh, although I'm kind of over the novelty of getting a beer with my movie.

The novelty is not having to deal with a bunch of kids some idiot drug into an R rated film.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
We have that up here as Cineplex VIP. People will pay a premium to go to a cinema that bans children and also sells booze.

The newest one opening near me is seems to be entirely no children allowed.

less than three fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Feb 22, 2020

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
I grew up in South Florida, and in the late 90s the Coral Springs Mall shut down, became City property, and then was given to a charter school. The old Ross was knocked over and turned into a county library, but everything aside from that including the 8 screen movie theaterwas just renovation and can still tell the school was a mall inside and out. Now they've built a new City Hall in the parking lot and there's talk of demolishing the mall for a purpose-built school, but it's taken forever because I guess in the 80s malls were built like bunkers.

Yavuz
Oct 9, 2019

Mercury_Storm posted:

They knocked down the place where our mall's Sears once stood and replaced it with several smaller places. We were supposed to get a Whole Foods of some kind, but then Jeff Bezos vored them and they halted expansion, so we got a different, smaller healthy grocery store.

Now, the husk of the Kmart nearby, that's still completely empty. Supposedly there's a new mixed-use development in the works for that site.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.
It seems clear to me that malls need to reinvent themselves as basically climate controlled city blocks with a wider variety of entertainment and activity.

Like don't cluster all the (cheap) food options in one corner, put cafes and restaurants throughout and open them into central walkways with 'outdoor' seating. Have more bars, play structures for kids and activities (whatever the current trends are: breweries and ax throwing).

Just because clothes shopping has declined doesn't mean people don't want large climate controlled spaces. In my area these outdoor fake city bloc style mixed use shopping/housing/entertainment centers are popping up but in the northeast in the dead of winter it actually kind of sucks. Nothing stops indoor malls from emulating that experience.

I get that some malls are sort of doing this but I was shocked how boring the local high end mall was when I visited for the first time in years (desperately looking for a place to take the kids on a freezing Saturday).

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
The old Sears south of downtown Seattle turned into an Amazon Fresh pickup location and a bank. The rest of the space was taken up by Starbucks HQ.

That location also had a separate building further down 1st Avenue specifically for car servicing and that has been turned into an indoor climbing gym.

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

You when you read my posts:
The Cape Cod Mall in Hyannis, MA has a Target where the Sears used to be. They had to make a big expansion to make it fit though.

Bizarrely, there's a still-functioning K-Mart across the highway from it.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
It'd be kind of weird to leave an anchor empty at the only mall on Cape Cod, though, especially in a place that's ground zero for a ton of hotels and poo poo. Malls tend to do really, really well in places that vacationers use as base camps.

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

You when you read my posts:

Paradoxish posted:

It'd be kind of weird to leave an anchor empty at the only mall on Cape Cod, though, especially in a place that's ground zero for a ton of hotels and poo poo. Malls tend to do really, really well in places that vacationers use as base camps.

Oh for sure, especially since they built a hotel directly to the right of it. I'd have to imagine with the small airport by there it's probably a popular area for business meetings and such, and being able to get anywhere actually worth going (basically Main Street and a few other places tucked away in odd corners, maybe some stuff on Route 28) requires a car thanks to how it's laid out, so if you're someone in that hotel who doesn't really feel like having to even drive to get something to eat or catch a movie that mall's a pretty good deal. Again the weird part is the K-Mart managing to still survive, but it's also a fairly poor area and it's on the side of the highway where most people would be able to safely walk to it without having to run across anywhere particularly busy, so that probably has something to do with it.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Two KFCs (at least) in my city have shut down. :woop:
Both of which were terrible, from personal experience.

I look forward to the end of all Yum! brands.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
The KFC near me recently turned into a Habit burger chain.

I feel like there are way too many places to get a goddamn burger.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

There's definitely way too many places to get a burger to ever bother getting one from a Habit.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005
Speaking of burger places, Wendy's seemingly shuttered almost all of their lower Westchester (NYC inner ring suburbs) locations for no reason. I would have to basically drive to the north edge of the county to go to one. I could never figure out why. The one by me was always busy.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

habit burgers are the worst

nasty bun
nasty burg
lettuce ok

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

habit burgers are the worst

nasty bun
nasty burg
lettuce ok

I don't understand what market they're going for. A "back to basics" burger for people that want to overpay for burgers? There's like two 5 Guys in our town already and a million bars in which you can get better (and often cheaper) burgers.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

TyroneGoldstein posted:

Speaking of burger places, Wendy's seemingly shuttered almost all of their lower Westchester (NYC inner ring suburbs) locations for no reason. I would have to basically drive to the north edge of the county to go to one. I could never figure out why. The one by me was always busy.

Same. I like them and the ones here are always busy, but they haven't expanded. But there's only 2 for the dozens of McDonald's and other places around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

Mercury_Storm posted:

Mine was replaced by a Dicks and a Dave and Busters. Kind of a weird choice.