Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Your favorite isekai thought crime
slavery
war crimes
boobs
protags that correctly remember and know how to recreate complex technologies
View Results

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
The dude does let her keep her old slave collar as a memento of their love(???) though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
fuckin' yikes. 'this pogrom was good because its targets deserved it' is the justification for every pogrom.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Artificer posted:

The dude does let her keep her old slave collar as a memento of their love(???) though

Yeah, that is the one big questionable thing about the series, though. Honestly, it does kind of feel out of place in the story as it is very quickly forgotten and pops up so rarely it's like, "Oh yeah, that's still a thing, huh."

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

fuckin' yikes. 'this pogrom was good because its targets deserved it' is the justification for every pogrom.

Eh, that's not really what it is at all.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

7c Nickel posted:

I was really gratified to see The Faraway Paladin subvert this by setting up the "obviously corrupt bishop" type and then showing that he's actually a good guy who's just constantly irritated by having to play politics and shout to keep the church funded and independent.

That really was a pleasant surprise and a very welcome twist to the usual formula. I also appreciated his justification that he didn't display his obvious holiness because he didn't want people to associate all the business/political shadiness he had to do with his god.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
I watched some Didn't I Say to Make My Abilities Average in the Next Life?! When I was bored the other night and it seemed cute and fun and I really enjoy the central dumb genie wish conceit.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I'd recommend reading the LN if you like reading. The anime changed a lot, and most of it was not for the better.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
New Shinju no Nectar

Probably the only time in manga where calling your nephew your brother didn't mean something bad. But I had to stop on that initial statement regardless.

Brought To You By fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jan 23, 2020

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
that's a very authentic recreation of the sorts of royal family trees that british monarchy would produce. the only thing missing is severe inbreeding

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
There's a WN I've been reading on Novel Updates that I've been enjoying, and since updates have been regular for a bit I figured I'd share. (Also, it's got one of the most ridiculous titles I've seen.)

Futari de Hitori no Fuguu Hime-tachi ha Jiyuu ni Ikitai~ Isekai Tensei o Shitara, Bishoujo no Nake de, Utahime o Suru Kotoninarimashita~
Two as One Disappointing Princesses Wants to Live Free ~ When I was Reincarnated in Another World, I Decided to be a Songstress in a Beautiful Girl~

quote:

When I thought that I had died, I realized that I was reincarnated in another world inside a girl.
However, the girl has her own consciousness. In other words, I seem to be possessing the girl.
That’s still fine. But why was the girl chained inside a prison cell? And specifically saying, she’s even too young to call a little girl.

After spending 10 years to escape, we live our life freely for our own good.

Caveat though: The girl's father is basically a psychopath. He had a daughter (and didn't even name her) only because he wanted to use her in a ritual to get her possessed by a god (though this backfires and instead she gets "possessed" by a soul from another world), only to use her to get access to the virgin blood of a god when she's five, though it's in an entirely clinical manner and not at all sexual. It's revolting the only reason I didn't want to post it in the wholesome thread, and if it weren't for the rest of the WN being nothing along those lines I'd have dropped it shortly after that. It's otherwise rather normal and even cute at times.

A little bit of extra regarding the Princesses bit in the titles, considering the girl isn't a royal princess, and a part of why I'm enjoying this so far: In this world people will be assigned a Job (like a Final Fantasy Job) by the gods when they turn 10. It's mostly random, though if someone is particularly talented, through natural inclination or dedication, they may influence which Job they get. Jobs also have ranks, like the Sword King being the highest male Swordsman and the Sword Princess being the highest female Swordswoman. Ranks aren't the ultimate decider though, as a dedicated Swordsman could beat a Sword King if the latter wasn't as dedicated. The girl and the MC (who are distinct personalities, with the MC mostly being a passenger) are aiming for the Jobs considered duds in this world, like the Singer or Dancer Job, as a plan to get the girl out from under her father's control, hence the Disappointing Princesses part.

Onean fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jan 26, 2020

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Sentouin, Hakenshimasu has a new chapter out and while I liked it a lot before it has now solidified itself as one of my favorite manga.

https://mangadex.org/chapter/795458/1

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Guyver posted:

Sentouin, Hakenshimasu has a new chapter out and while I liked it a lot before it has now solidified itself as one of my favorite manga.

It's topknotch.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Atrocity points have been added!

Like Konosuba, all of this is very similar to how PCs would act in a murderhobo dnd campaign

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yanno what, I wasn't really sure what to expect with the buildup here, but

that was a pretty solid own on that dude

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Guyver posted:

Oh dear

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012
I can't remember the last time a comic has had me laughing in almost tears.

Also kind of educational on dirty jokes elsewhere in the world.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I definitely want Number Six and Kazuma to cross paths at some point.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
No. 6 would have been a much better addition to Isekai Quartet then Shield Hero. Earning Atrocity points against Ains and Tanya could be spectacular.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
He'd earn atrocity points just through proximity to Warcrimes Degurechaff.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Today on a very important chapter of It's My Life, we seek to see what astra looks like under the mask.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Isekai Yuusha No Satsujin Yuugi popped up on r/manga. The premise seems to be isekai hunger games, only the main guy has no special power. I felt it had a pretty strong start. Hopefully it'll turn out decent.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I recently remember a book I read in highschool, 'Godslayer' part one of the "Bifrost Guardians' series. It was published in 1987 and written by an author from Iowa. Here's the publisher's summary:

quote:

Torn away from the midst of firefight in Vietnam and catapulted to a time and place where the Norse gods fight a deadly war of their own, Al Larson finds himself locked into an elvish body on a world where swords and spells are the means of battle. Al must adapt swiftly or die. For the gods have marked him as their own private battleground, and Al’s only chance rests in completing the quest Freyr has set him, a quest that will lead him to the very gates of Hel, where he must save a god—or destroy one.

He sucks real bad at fighting but is granted a magic sword that when holding it makes him a master swordsman, because the sword is actually a swordsman locked locked in a sword. Also he goes by the name Allerum, because when someone asks his name he says 'Al' then feels embarrassed cause that's a poo poo name for an elf, starts stuttering 'er.. um' and then everyone just calls him Allerum. It's a dope western Isekai.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
oh right, i remember that one. well, mostly i remember how in the sequel he and his party go back to earth, before he went to vietnam (which is another modern isekai trope, albeit without the party). after all the stuff with the evil sorcerer and such is resolved, he comes clean to the draft board and they give him an exemption for insanity.

i also read it in high school, so i dunno how well it holds up. so many of the books i enjoyed back then simply don't, at all.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Sentouin hakenshimasu! is good. ty for whoever p osted it in this this thread

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Another month, another chapter of Shinju no Nectar. This does explain how someone who was 12 managed to earn a grudge this fierce. I also hope Kai calls Richard out on the whole "well you say you love this chick and are going to give up the throne for her, but you also didn't mind dying last night". I get that things are hosed for Richard but he's just looking for a way out.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Can't for the life of me remember where I read the post, but apparently GATE ended and it was exactly as trashy and nationalistic as expected or something to that effect.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Eh, dropped that one ages ago. The show managed to be more boring than the comic.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

doomrider7 posted:

Can't for the life of me remember where I read the post, but apparently GATE ended and it was exactly as trashy and nationalistic as expected or something to that effect.

Does the fantasy world become an official part of Japan?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

doomrider7 posted:

Wasted potential that series. I would have liked a sort of Stargate: Atlantis style series but the only good thing about Gate is the artist for the manga. Although I'll admit the story after 3 iterations toned down enough to be enjoyable where it's currently at. My biggest issues were mostly about how threats stop mattering once the Jay es dee ef show up with the rifles and tactical equipment.

I rather liked a recent manga chapter that had both the JSDF and the fantasy world folks routing out spies in their own ways. The story should have been more about that middle ground and level of cultural exchange. I don't really enjoy a curb stomp scenario.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Artificer posted:

Does the fantasy world become an official part of Japan?

Apparently yeah it did and the other countries got jealous of the awesome cool superiority of the JSDF that they attempted to open up more portals, but caused some kind of apocalyptic event that may have destroyed the world outside of Japan and their annexed fantasy territory.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

doomrider7 posted:

Apparently yeah it did and the other countries got jealous of the awesome cool superiority of the JSDF that they attempted to open up more portals, but caused some kind of apocalyptic event that may have destroyed the world outside of Japan and their annexed fantasy territory.

Ah. Japan uber alles by the will of God then, as He has smote all other nations.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

What really annoys me, is that GATE doesn't even lean into the "well the main character is an otaku, and otakus accustomed to isekai tropes are naturally better at dealing with these situations", it's just purely nationalistic. I'd love to see a GATE but every major nation gets a portal to a different continent with different styles of fantasy and they all leverage their own national story tropes/history/resources to their advantage while logistics actually matters.

Gimme cool magic/medieval politics/logistics poo poo! Make the portal smaller so that vehicles have to be assembled on-site! That massive army attacking the base at the start of the series would've actually been an interesting adversary if they just had infantry and maybe a Humvee or two. Once you get jets and attack helicopters, while the enemy is entirely defanged, there's just no fun.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

What really annoys me, is that GATE doesn't even lean into the "well the main character is an otaku, and otakus accustomed to isekai tropes are naturally better at dealing with these situations", it's just purely nationalistic. I'd love to see a GATE but every major nation gets a portal to a different continent with different styles of fantasy and they all leverage their own national story tropes/history/resources to their advantage while logistics actually matters.

Gimme cool magic/medieval politics/logistics poo poo! Make the portal smaller so that vehicles have to be assembled on-site! That massive army attacking the base at the start of the series would've actually been an interesting adversary if they just had infantry and maybe a Humvee or two. Once you get jets and attack helicopters, while the enemy is entirely defanged, there's just no fun.

https://mangadex.org/title/41850/ihoujin-dungeon-ni-moguru
"It was in 1946 that Earth learned of the existence of other worlds. As expected, many countries immediately tried to send people into the other world, hoping to obtain vital resources or mystical treasures. None of them came back.

And to be fair, Souya never expected to be one of those explorers. But here he was, accepting an offer by a shady company to get enough money to save his little sister. Launched into another world, he soon finds that his journey will be a hard one - not only have his teammates gone missing, but a majority of his food and weapons supply was destroyed in the transfer"

It's only four chapters but it seems alright.
I really liked the first chapter but then everything starts getting way too easy for him. Very strong opening, though.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Seems like it's going to keep getting harder. He got to curb-stomp a negotiation, but I don't think he's getting any more bullets any time soon, so better make them count.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

PringleCreamEgg posted:

"It was in 1946 that Earth learned of the existence of other worlds. As expected, many countries immediately tried to send people into the other world, hoping to obtain vital resources or mystical treasures. None of them came back.

And to be fair, Souya never expected to be one of those explorers. But here he was, accepting an offer by a shady company to get enough money to save his little sister. Launched into another world, he soon finds that his journey will be a hard one - not only have his teammates gone missing, but a majority of his food and weapons supply was destroyed in the transfer"

I really liked the first chapter but then everything starts getting way too easy for him. Very strong opening, though.

Picked it up. Looks pretty good so far.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I wouldn't say easy for him.

Pretty good so far, hope it continues like so.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm honestly not sure how he's supposed to progress. his guns are gone, his magic potential is poo poo, his melee fighting ability is poo poo, and the only particular advantage he has is a damaged ai he can't actually take into the dungeon. it's interesting.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

A very acute choice of words given what's currently happening in Shinju no Nectar.

And has anyone been reading FFF-Class Trashero? I recently started reading it and for the point I'm at, around chapter 16, it's one of the better series about an unsavory MC I've read. After being forced to save a fantasy world and living through 10 years of hardships and full on abuse from his party, the MC went postal right before the climactic battle with the demon demon king and slayed his own teammates. Even after, he wins the final showdown saving the world, but he gets time-looped to the beginning of it all by the same forces that ripped him from Earth and now has to do it all over again but this time he's got to be "nicer". What ensues is him gaming both his new overseers as well as the world he has a decade of knowledge about. It's edgy but the kind of light edge that doesn't turn me off. Manages to land it's humor as well like the MC's best instructor being a literal slime monster

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i liked the premise of how he was told "think about what you've done and try again", then supplied with an ethics instructor. unfortunately on his very first day of his second try he sprinted full speed toward the nearest slave market. once there he quickly proved himself worse than the slave merchants. having a story that jokes about how terrible the mc is does not in fact make him less terrible.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Yeah, the guy's too monstrous for me to want to keep following any more of the manga personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oovee
Jun 21, 2007

No life king.

Brought To You By posted:

And has anyone been reading FFF-Class Trashero? I recently started reading it and for the point I'm at, around chapter 16, it's one of the better series about an unsavory MC I've read. After being forced to save a fantasy world and living through 10 years of hardships and full on abuse from his party, the MC went postal right before the climactic battle with the demon demon king and slayed his own teammates. Even after, he wins the final showdown saving the world, but he gets time-looped to the beginning of it all by the same forces that ripped him from Earth and now has to do it all over again but this time he's got to be "nicer". What ensues is him gaming both his new overseers as well as the world he has a decade of knowledge about. It's edgy but the kind of light edge that doesn't turn me off. Manages to land it's humor as well like the MC's best instructor being a literal slime monster

I am quite liking FFF-Class Trashero, thank you.