Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Captain Invictus posted:

Really kinda bummed they went with the "venom is just like xenomorph blood!!!" cliche tbh[/spoiler]

It was worth it for that sweet, multi-story action shot though. Actually, all the background shots from this chapter were fantastic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Super wholesome chapter.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Old Horse and Old Komodo Dragon are always great together

Seriously, there's so much homoerotic subtext in this series it's insane...

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Vinylshadow posted:

Old Horse and Old Komodo Dragon are always great together

Seriously, there's so much homoerotic subtext in this series it's insane...

Understanding the relationship dynamics of this series becomes infinitely simpler when you realize the question was never "do I like men or do I like women" and was always "Am I attracted to the constant threat of possibly eating/being eaten by my partner, yes or no."

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The Carnivore/Herbivore dynamic is entirely correlated to horniness and somehow it works

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Reveal of the English dub cast.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/NXOnNetflix/status/1230539454449881088

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
Cast listing for Kai and Els but not Juno. I have concerns regarding the quality of this dub. (Because they apparently can't tell Juno is a major enough character for people to want to know who's playing her). It's Netflix, so it's not like they're going to be recording this week to week.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Appears to be Lauren Landa as Juno, just in case you were wondering. :v:

Tenasscity
Jan 1, 2010

Chapter 165 in one image:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
his name is legosi not legoshi and i don't give a rip who says otherwise

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
I like Legosi for, ya know, Bela Lugosi. But to be fair it's not like Lugosi actually played the Wolf Man.

I kinda like Legoshi for the simple fact that it means his mom sorta named him after her dad.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

good chapter title. chapter was soap opera-ey as gently caress, but eh, whatever.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Not sure why Melon would agree to the duel, but I'm looking forward to Legoshi winning by telling him "Merry Christmas."

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Electric Phantasm posted:

Not sure why Melon would agree to the duel, but I'm looking forward to Legoshi winning by telling him "Merry Christmas."

he's probably going to call him out in front of the entire market, so that he can't run away or pull any of his tricky bullshit without looking weak

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
Mind, Melon probably doesn't give a poo poo about looking weak, but I imagine that's why he wants Louis there.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
all that aside, i am so ready for this shithead to finally get killed so that this rattling garbage truck of an "arc" can finally wheeze to a halt and fall over

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Louis calling himself Legosi's emergency food stash was great

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

all that aside, i am so ready for this shithead to finally get killed so that this rattling garbage truck of an "arc" can finally wheeze to a halt and fall over

Wow really harsh words about Legosi but I agree that Melon will make an exceptional protagonist after he wins the duel.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I want Louis to just show up with his chekov's gun and shoot melon in the face during the duel

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Honestly I'm okay with Melon. The arc started out rough, but now that we have a decent idea of what his deal actually is, it's pulling together decently enough.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
...another new chapter.

this sucks. everything to do with melon sucks. the end of this otherwise great chapter sucks. this entire arc sucks. this is such a bummer.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Captain Invictus posted:

...another new chapter.

this sucks. everything to do with melon sucks. the end of this otherwise great chapter sucks. this entire arc sucks. this is such a bummer.

I am legit confused by this turn. Its a great chapter right up til the end in which it takes a bizarro nose dive into "Wha?" terrority.

Haru is accepting that she loves Legoshi and is better for it. Its sweet and well told. Then she decides to allow herself to be cannibalized by a professor at college she just met at the end of the month? Why? Why would you do that? Worse yet, it trivializes their relationship if it can be thrown away that easily. Legoshi's entire existence is basically trying to be worthy of that love.

Did I miss something here?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I think we need to wait a chapter for the full context of this one. Given the whole eating=horny thing, this seems like a bad decision borne from Haru’s sexual frustration over Legosi’s unwillingness to show physical intimacy until his record is cleared

It’s still indicative of bigger problems with this arc, though. Nobody ever communicates with each other but the plot still demands they interact, so again and again they just keep coincidentally bumping into each other. This worked when the setting was confined to Cherryton, but it’s way harder to swallow now that the story has expanded so much.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I think this last page finally put me into

territory. I'll keep clicking on the chapters but I'm probably done thinking through this disjointed nonsensical plot until the arc ends.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
since the melon hate train has once again pulled into the station, there's something else that for me helps explain his weakness as a villain - he's almost completely reactive where the protagonist is concerned. most protag/antag relationships have the two characters being mutually pulled into conflict, but while legosi keeps trying to pursue melon, melon himself just doesn't care about this lanky weirdo unless he's currently right up in his face. as a result, the story's only able to gin up conflict between the two of them by shoving melon into positions where he might run afoul of legosi, which partly explains this latest, uh, development

the moment riz started to think legosi was getting close to uncovering his secret, he devoted himself fully to ruining legosi's day. melon's had three run-ins with the guy so far and each time he just goes "lol whatevs" and saunters back into his own walled-garden part of the plot

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
He's the gosh darn joker

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
To be fair to Haru, the closest she's ever gotten to her boyfriend bedding her was the night she almost got eaten by someone else.

If it almost worked once...

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Adder Moray posted:

To be fair to Haru, the closest she's ever gotten to her boyfriend bedding her was the night she almost got eaten by someone else.

If it almost worked once...

There was also that time in his apartment.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Haru: I want to have sex, but my boyfriend only cares about that stuff when I'm almost eaten by someone else, and he has the ability to show up whenever someone bares their fangs at me, so if I keep engineering these scenarios, I'll get to spend quality time with my boyfriend.

Louis: WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?! WHY AM I SURROUNDED BY HORNY IDIOTS?!

*everyone gives a pointed glance at his antlers*

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Vinylshadow posted:

Haru: I want to have sex, but my boyfriend only cares about that stuff when I'm almost eaten by someone else, and he has the ability to show up whenever someone bares their fangs at me, so if I keep engineering these scenarios, I'll get to spend quality time with my boyfriend.

We are so far into wacky logic with this recent arc that I would legitimate appreciate this being the actual case and would like her to plainly state it.

Haru's dream date night is Russian Roulette and make-up notsex.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
A danger kink would line up surprisingly well with both the themes this story has explored in terms of sexuality and the things we already know about Haru.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Wasn't there a whole thing about Haru having a weird reaction in the hotel room and shoving her arm into Legosi's mouth because she 'wanted' to be eaten?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Pyrotoad posted:

Wasn't there a whole thing about Haru having a weird reaction in the hotel room and shoving her arm into Legosi's mouth because she 'wanted' to be eaten?

that was basically PTSD, trying to make love so soon after she'd nearly been molested and eaten by the Shishigumi's boss had her signals all scrambled up

this is being treated as a more calculated decision, but her body language on the final panel makes it look like she regretted it immediately. we'll have to wait, i guess

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

"I just can't understand why this rabbit is being so self destructive" I say as I dutifully read yet another chapter of this manga I long since stopped enjoying

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Feb 28, 2020

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

"I can't wait to see what my stupid idiot children are doing this month." I say as I read another chapter of a manga that tries way too hard to be serious.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Vinylshadow posted:

"I can't wait to see what my stupid idiot children are doing this month." I say as I read another chapter of a manga that tries way too hard to be serious.

*Jack's onion eating intensifies*

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

that was basically PTSD, trying to make love so soon after she'd nearly been molested and eaten by the Shishigumi's boss had her signals all scrambled up

this is being treated as a more calculated decision, but her body language on the final panel makes it look like she regretted it immediately. we'll have to wait, i guess

These things are not mutually exclusive. We are still dealing with teenagers here. Adult teenagers, but teenagers none the less.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
lmfao

https://twitter.com/ImMrTransistor/status/1233485463362691072?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

YOU OPENED THE BOX.