Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
maybe we will finally get osmosis jones 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

riseofmydick
Dec 18, 2019

by Pragmatica

pancake rabbit posted:

so uh, where do you live

Arkansas.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I bookmarked this tweet just for this

https://twitter.com/angie_rasmussen/status/1229493643242811392?s=20

Ogantai
Apr 21, 2003

Full of bologna

https://mobile.twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1231290650689200129

:shrug:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

D-Pad posted:

I mean the post is bullshit, but I posted this in the China thread two weeks ago:

Ok but on the other hand why would any of that matter at all to anyone

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Lol spooky

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

That is it. Thank you.

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

stephenthinkpad posted:

conculate
death court
:hai:

Anyway some content. Taiwan's CDC has a really nice infographic in English on the global pandemic and local infection:
https://www.cdc.gov.tw/En

Taiwan has been relatively healthy until recently. They've largely been on top of things, but who knows how long that'll last. Officially 26 confirmed cases* (https://www.cdc.gov.tw/En/Bulletin/Detail/VI5ZeNamPLiT9nj8vWHZlg?typeid=158),
nearly all had either come from Wuhan or were family members, though a recent case had visited Zhejiang province. As a result they've been monitoring family clusters. Sadly they reported one death this past week.

However, some cases had only transited through HK (Italy vacation lol) or visited Macau. So anybody who had traveled through or visited these places must self quarantine for 2 weeks. Universities now won't let students on campus for 2 weeks if they travelled through these airports. They've canceled some direct flight routes to china for a few months and have outright prohibited Chinese nationals from entering. They've recently upgraded their travel warnings and listings for Korea and Japan because it's out of control in those locations.

They shut down all cruises entering in early Feb. Diamond Princess had been in Keelung in late January to pick up passengers. There was a 10 hour port call so the CDC had scrambled to find the itinerary of anyone who had disembarked.

Anyway, now 19 Taiwanese who had been aboard the death cruise are back and under quarantine-observation. At the same time the 2-week delay to the spring semester is about to end. Taiwan is lucky to be an island, but it's a shame China had strong armed them out of the WHO. They've made progress on a potential antiviral last week: https://focustaiwan.tw/sci-tech/202002210006

They're now at a point where infections may increase... We'll see what happens.

*Apparently the most recent confirmation had minor cold-like symptoms and acid reflux as their only indicators something was wrong.

Now let me tell you all about a case in [city near me] and my health and lifestyle...

:barf:

:barf::dehumanize::barf:

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Here is the thing. There are really two separate lab possibilities and this seems to be only evidence against one:

1. China was actively modifying the virus in a lab and it escaped. This is the one that there is plenty of evidence showing this is not what happened. The virus shows clear signs of natural selection as opposed to artificial selection via lab experimentation.

2. The virus was being studied in the lab "as-is" and was not being modified. Like they found it in the wild and brought it into a lab and were culturing it or whatever, and it then escaped. There is no way as far as I know to show evidence this didn't happen since the virus would look the same whether it had escaped from the lab or started infecting humans in the wild.

Number 2 is a possibility. We have no way of knowing ourselves either way though so it's just idle speculation. China could conceivably know if they took the virus from an infected person for study and said "oh poo poo this is exactly the same as the one our researcher was looking at six blocks from where this guy got infected!" They'd never admit it, but it could explain why they quarantined millions of people and brought their economy to a halt way earlier in this whole thing than anybody expected. Alternatively, they just learned their lesson from SARS and decided not to gently caress around. We will probably never know.

But lol if you think some researcher selling on research animals to a wet market isn't plausible in China. Especially if they weren't infected with modified/weaponized virus as opposed to an unmodified virus "as-is". Because China.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

riseofmydick posted:

That's not how any of this works. You are very ignorant about how hospitals treat people.

When it comes to emergency situations, like a critical case of Coronavirus or any other critical life threatening disease hospitals are not allowed to show preference based on how much money someone has. That's patently illegal under the Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act.

Hospitals may deny care based on elective and non-emergency services due to lack of ability to pay, but for emergency services they are simply not allowed to and doing so would get them in major hot water.

Lote posted:

To further expand on this, ICU docs are going to prioritize care based off of quality of life and survivability. If you have a 30 year old patient and a 70 year old patient who both have respiratory failure and need to be intubated / on a ventilator breathing for them, the 30 year old is gonna get intubated first because they have a better chance at recovering than the 70 year old. The 70 year old is still gonna get care and be on oxygen but they’re gonna try all non intubation techniques first. The older that you are, in general, increases the chances significantly that getting intubated means you will be on a ventilator / breathing machine for the rest of your life.

PROTIP: vomit hot sick on the admissions counter for faster treatment

SKULL.GIF posted:

Lol spooky
:spooky:

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
arent they saying now that it didn't even originate in the wuhan area based on the dna and some other poo poo

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

QuarkJets posted:

Ok but on the other hand why would any of that matter at all to anyone

no one paid attention to their conspiracy theory before and now people will because

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Why would a virus need help from human engineers to be optimal for spreading? Viruses are already optimal, that's kind of the whole point of gene pools. Do people just not understand natural selection (because our schools suck), and believe that it's possible to engineer a better virus than already exists?

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Doorknob Slobber posted:

arent they saying now that it didn't even originate in the wuhan area based on the dna and some other poo poo

A second strain has hit the epidemic!

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

lol yeah, but do you guys remember when the Italian government decided scientists were guilty of manslaughter for not predicting a deadly earthquake?

that was a good one too.

haha what a bunch of goofs!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

D-Pad posted:

Here is the thing. There are really two separate lab possibilities and this seems to be only evidence against one:

1. China was actively modifying the virus in a lab and it escaped. This is the one that there is plenty of evidence showing this is not what happened. The virus shows clear signs of natural selection as opposed to artificial selection via lab experimentation.

2. The virus was being studied in the lab "as-is" and was not being modified. Like they found it in the wild and brought it into a lab and were culturing it or whatever, and it then escaped. There is no way as far as I know to show evidence this didn't happen since the virus would look the same whether it had escaped from the lab or started infecting humans in the wild.

Number 2 is a possibility. We have no way of knowing ourselves either way though so it's just idle speculation. China could conceivably know if they took the virus from an infected person for study and said "oh poo poo this is exactly the same as the one our researcher was looking at six blocks from where this guy got infected!" They'd never admit it, but it could explain why they quarantined millions of people and brought their economy to a halt way earlier in this whole thing than anybody expected. Alternatively, they just learned their lesson from SARS and decided not to gently caress around. We will probably never know.

But lol if you think some researcher selling on research animals to a wet market isn't plausible in China. Especially if they weren't infected with modified/weaponized virus as opposed to an unmodified virus "as-is". Because China.

I’d say number two is possible and we do know that China does tend to pay its scientists kinda poo poo (see the largest radio telescope in the world that they can’t staff because they won’t pay).

Its definitely not impossible but honestly we won’t ever know.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Wow, the virus can be transmitted by people not infected by it!

Mistle posted:

PROTIP: vomit hot sick on the admissions counter for faster treatment
Can confirm from my own experience this also helps you get over any language barrier.

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Why would a virus need help from human engineers to be optimal for spreading? Viruses are already optimal, that's kind of the whole point of gene pools. Do people just not understand natural selection (because our schools suck), and believe that it's possible to engineer a better virus than already exists?
Evolution just makes things "good enough". It doesn't make them ideal, at all.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

A Buttery Pastry posted:

This is complete nonsense

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

D-Pad posted:

If the virus was naturally mutated/formed in an animal (bat/pangolin/whatever), it's far more likely to be captured by a Chinese for bush meat than a by Chinese researcher for study anyway. And I don't see what the difference does it make in term of avoiding the virus, because in this scenario the ultimate cause of the viral outbreak is ever increasing human population keep pushing into remaining animal's living space.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Dumb Lowtax posted:

It all depends on the selection criteria. Generally speaking from an evolution perspective you expect things that grow fast to out compete the things that don't. This virus seems to grow slowly and have a high r0 and virulence, so spooky. Regardless there's usually signs of artificial genome manipulation and that's not really been proven to be the case here.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
how autonomous is taiwan in practical terms? could they say absolutely no china flights allowed could they do that?

Old Story
Jun 2, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Dumb Lowtax posted:

I don't think it is, actually. Optimization occurs over time due to competition between individuals, but at the individual level I guess you could say that each variation faces a pass/fail test at whether reproduction occurs or doesn't occur, which you could see as a "good enough" if it passes

in terms of viruses, though, big zoonotic outbreaks like this one could be seen as an evolutionary dead end that could be improved upon for sure. Viruses don't "want" anything of course, but from what we see in nature the best evolutionary outcome for viruses is a sort of steady-state infection over a long term within a specific host that doesn't kill the host so quickly that the virus burns out. High infectivity low pathogenicity is the "ideal" I suppose, but we're anthropomorphising something that doesn't really confirm to those ideas

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

D-Pad posted:

Here is the thing.

Here's the thing: you don't know poo poo about epidemiology and your post is inane speculation irrelevant to the actual research

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

poty posted:

how autonomous is taiwan in practical terms? could they say absolutely no china flights allowed could they do that?

They can do that, but the virus is already out in every other country. Is Taiwan going to turn into Bhutan and forbidden oversea travel from now on? Also I guess the 1000 Taiwanese got stuck in Wuhan right now will have to get mainland hukous and become permanent residents lol.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

stephenthinkpad posted:

If the virus was naturally mutated/formed in an animal (bat/pangolin/whatever), it's far more likely to be captured by a Chinese for bush meat than a by Chinese researcher for study anyway. And I don't see what the difference does it make in term of avoiding the virus, because in this scenario the ultimate cause of the viral outbreak is ever increasing human population keep pushing into remaining animal's living space.

Yeah, I agree. It would have zero effect on anything if it was the second possibility I described other than potential embarassment to the Chinese government if it became common knowledge.

I just wanted to point it out, because when the subject comes up people need to distinguish what they mean by a lab escape because we only have evidence against scenario #1.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Backweb posted:

lol yeah, but do you guys remember when the Italian government decided scientists were guilty of manslaughter for not predicting a deadly earthquake?

that was a good one too.

haha what a bunch of goofs!

And when one scientist "predicted" (more likely made an informed guess but still) a large earthquake they charged him with false alarm, dragged him to court too iirc. And when the earthquake hit almost exactly as predicted/guessed they didn't even apologize :v:

We are good at this aren't we :italy:

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Enfys posted:

Here's the thing: you don't know poo poo about epidemiology and your post is inane speculation irrelevant to the actual research

drat, if only I had indicated it was idle speculation in my post...oh wait I did. Go gently caress yourself and then learn to read.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Enfys posted:

Hey, let's not jump to conclusions. For all we know, he might've stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night. :jerkbag:

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

BoldFace posted:

What kind of protocols does the Vatican have for dealing with pandemics? Will they vacuum seal the pope until it's safe to come out again?

The Vatican astrologer has recommended the pope sit between two giant bonfires for the duration of the epidemic.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Install UV light and Ozone machine in the Pope-mobile.

Ogantai
Apr 21, 2003

Full of bologna

https://mobile.twitter.com/FranceNews24/status/1231296085974568960

:tif:

Edit: buy your tickets now!

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

Effort replies:

poty posted:

Highly autonomous, but there's obviously a gravitational pull towards China, both economically and culturally. PRC exerts a lot of pressure, but has never had any real control over the island. That being said, they haven't stopped all flights. Any Taiwanese in China (if they can escape quarantine) can still travel. HK/Macau are still options too. Taipei advises against it obviously. Foreigners can also travel from China to Taiwan as long as they have valid visas/residency. It's the direct flights to affected areas that are canceled and mainlanders are barred from entry.

They can control their points of entry just as autonomously as anybody anywhere else.

stephenthinkpad posted:

They can do that, but the virus is already out in every other country. Is Taiwan going to turn into Bhutan and forbidden oversea travel from now on? Also I guess the 1000 Taiwanese got stuck in Wuhan right now will have to get mainland hukous and become permanent residents lol.

The ones "stuck" in Wuhan are predominantly the taishang businessmen who already live and work there. They're stuck mainly cos of the quarantine, and Taiwan has been working to get those who want to return home. The priority is to do it in a way that doesn't create a local outbreak in the island. The opposition KMT (who are more or less pro-Beijing at this point) managed to negotiate at least one flight of Taiwanese out a few weeks ago, but as much as it was a humanitarian airlift, it was also a political stunt meant as a middle finger to the independence party. Naturally they were allowed in, but health officials were pissed off because they hadn't been given adequate time to prepare to receive them.

As for "mainland hukous and become permanent residents," well of course! Taiwan is part of China. They have 5000 years of history. Historically it is China's turn.

edit: fixed some phone typos

Backweb fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Feb 22, 2020

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Okay what the gently caress.

Dumb Lowtax posted:

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Dumb Lowtax posted:

A: "Evolution" is not an object or entity that exists. The theory of evolution just describes the process that results from a combination of random mutation and natural (or unnatural) selection that leads self-reproducing organisms/systems to produce offspring different from their ancestors.

B: unless you believe in some metaphysical God of Molecules And Stuff, evolution does not think or plan or form specific goals and does not intelligently seek to produce any specific traits.

C: there is no "optimal" except according to imaginary rule sets that also don't exist in reality, but due to aforementioned evolutionary process virii/organisms are self-optimizing in that the strains/species that reproduce faster continue mutating/evolving at an accelerated rate vs the slower ones. But again it's still just random chance.

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Feb 22, 2020

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

TorakFade posted:

And when one scientist "predicted" (more likely made an informed guess but still) a large earthquake they charged him with false alarm, dragged him to court too iirc. And when the earthquake hit almost exactly as predicted/guessed they didn't even apologize :v:

We are good at this aren't we :italy:

Haha, classic Italy!

Nice of the authorities and media to effectively dox the suspected super spreader too. Get people all angry, rile up the villagers, pitchforks and torches ready, then be like "jk we dunno lol."

What a bunch of pranksters. Owned.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

silentsnack posted:

A: "Evolution" is not an object or entity that exists. The theory of evolution just describes the process that results from a combination of random mutation and natural (or unnatural) selection that leads self-reproducing organisms/systems to produce offspring different from their ancestors.

B: unless you believe in some metaphysical God of Molecules And Stuff, evolution does not think or plan or form specific goals and does not intelligently seek to produce any specific traits.

C: there is no "optimal" except according to imaginary rule sets that also don't exist in reality, but due to aforementioned evolutionary process virii/organisms are self-optimizing in that the strains/species that reproduce faster continue mutating/evolving at an accelerated rate vs the slower ones. But again it's still just random chance.

Also that one of the huge points in favor of evolution instead of divine creation is a lot of poo poo is sub optimal, the recurrant laryngeal nerve being one of the more well known ones.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

silentsnack posted:

Ok, but this post kind of responds to everything that nobody actually said. Also, it's splitting hairs -- the process certainly could be said to find locally optimal solutions (to the nebulous problem of how to exist in the next generation versus not). That's a moving target, but it doesn't defy definition altogether. If there was a trait that obviously made eye lens curvature less optimal than it is now, with no other important effects, that's going to do worse in the gene pool, so the current state of eye curvature in the gene pool could be described as approaching a local optimum.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I forget, are numbers reported on the weekends?

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1231346166555643905

https://twitter.com/fxmacro/status/1231346146334908417

:italy:

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
The poo poo show is not over, Japan apologized releasing 23 passengers from the ship without being tested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Did that rear end in a top hat couple who lied about feeling sick get arrested yet?