Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Margot hates that she’s feeling feelings is a pretty well established part of her character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
"laid back mondo perfectus"

the guy they got for the imp was perfect

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

So, I'm pretty sure the Takers ara a false flag thing intended to make the dark king look good.
And Penny 23 has inherited original Penny's bad luck it seems.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
See A Penny, gently caress Him Up.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I missed an episode!

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
A strapping man named Todd.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
OFF —————WHALES

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona
Man, that was a set of two really incredible episodes that addressed a lot of things I was really interested in seeing addressed and I'm very excited to get some more FEN.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

It’s definitely not meth.

:colbert::colbert::colbert::colbert: Put more meth muffins in the oven.

SLOSifl fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Feb 13, 2020

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

The President said in a tweet, quote, "We will fix the moon decisively. The American people have nothing to fear!"

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

okay, yeah, the time loop episode is up there with some of the best this show has done

coincidentally, basically all the best episodes are about eliot and/or margo

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
This season is moving super quickly. Penny became a professor, learned about the mysterious signal, and lost his powers in like...3.5 episodes.

Loving the Dark King storyline so far, and yea, the Takers are absolutely a false flag.

The Visigoth storyline came out of absolutely fuckin' nowhere and is a totally bizarre way to destroy the library, seemingly on a whim.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Aggro posted:

The Visigoth storyline came out of absolutely fuckin' nowhere and is a totally bizarre way to destroy the library, seemingly on a whim.

I imagine they're done with that location/set and want to get moving.

Which is dumb, because that place is where all the dropped plotlines hang out. (Elliot's two books, Alice's doppleganger, OG Penny).

I assume David Anders will be back though.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

Which is dumb, because that place is where all the dropped plotlines hang out. (Elliot's two books, Alice's doppleganger, OG Penny).

Two books? Doppelganger? I have seemingly forgotten both these threads! I thought OG Penny was in underworld, or was that still an extension of library? I can't imagine the visigoths went that deep in their razing, could they even?

I really loved the last two episodes. The whole moon thing was fantastic, and the time loop episode was one of my favourite groundhoggers. Always love intelligent whales, that the whales are cursed to draw sigils to keep an old gods type kraken at bay is a great way to invoke that.

Alice had a bunch of great mini-moments I want gifs of. "Mmm-hmm". Passing out when Penny 23 telegibs. She spins around in her bar stool at one moment and it was just a really small, nice, thing to see her character do casually. I love seeing a happier Alice after so many seasons of deep dark sadness.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Feb 14, 2020

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Nihonniboku posted:

A strapping man named Todd.

Todd fans should check out The Order on Netflix.

odinson
Mar 17, 2009
Wait, what episode had whales?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Khanstant posted:

Two books? Doppelganger? I have seemingly forgotten both these threads! I thought OG Penny was in underworld, or was that still an extension of library? I can't imagine the visigoths went that deep in their razing, could they even?

Alice has a twin who lives in the library basement, called Cassandra. She writes all the life story books and is super old and crazy.

For some reason, Eliot has two separate books describing his life in the library catalogue.

And didn't OG Penny work for the library, just forever and ever after death?

odinson posted:

Wait, what episode had whales?

The second one this week. Maybe you missed it?

Whatch it, it's real good.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Feb 14, 2020

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That was TWO outstanding episodes in a row. I love that Elliot got to be the hero.

I wonder how many loops he went through.

Edit: Can I get a GIF of Margo seeing Todd and scooting out of the room?

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Feb 14, 2020

cjg
Sep 5, 2003

Show is good. Is this how the books are or have we drifted away from all that?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Alice has a twin who lives in the library basement, called Cassandra. She writes all the life story books and is super old and crazy.

Oh man, I totally missed it was a twin. I thought it was just Alice stuck in some timehell thing of eternal servitude.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Khanstant posted:

Oh man, I totally missed it was a twin. I thought it was just Alice stuck in some timehell thing of eternal servitude.

I don't think they ever actually said what her origins were.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

For some reason, Eliot has two separate books describing his life in the library catalogue.

And didn't OG Penny work for the library, just forever and ever after death?

The second one this week. Maybe you missed it?

Whatch it, it's real good.

This post is the one that informed me that there was an extra episode that I could watch, and that means this post is the best post.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

cjg posted:

Show is good. Is this how the books are or have we drifted away from all that?

This is all wildly different. Season 1, 2 and 3 are similar to the books but there are still a lot of things different. Big thing is that the books are very much Quentin focused and the others are very much secondary characters.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Another thing that has changed this season, everyone is over each other's bullshit and are pretty much a family now and I really like seeing them grow to that point.

Where's my drat Margot gif?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Are the two episodes a week going to be standard moving forward or was this just a special thing?

muscles like this! posted:

This is all wildly different. Season 1, 2 and 3 are similar to the books but there are still a lot of things different. Big thing is that the books are very much Quentin focused and the others are very much secondary characters.

Yeah, as for quality the books are kind of hit and miss. Lev Grossman is a critic first and a writer second and it definitely feels like he's ticking boxes that critics want to see at times. The show takes a couple story beats that were kind of sketchy in the books, calls them out and then addresses why they were sketchy.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Are the two episodes a week going to be standard moving forward or was this just a special thing?

No, it's back to one episode a week. I think they only did that last week because the two episodes were so connected. I think now they're going to deal with the apocalypse in Fillory for the rest of the season, and uncovering Quentin's mysteries.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Poor exploding Todd. Also it is kind of weird that they explicitly said that all the supporting cast came into the future with Eliot and Margot but they haven't really been around.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
From the trailer I was geared up for a Todd-centric episode where he's turned into the bumbling "hero" that the rest of the main cast have to cover for as they go on some dumb Fillory quest.

Not super happy or convinced by this Dark King turn into the completely loving obvious.

Also not super happy that Tik Pickwick's arsehole descendent was apparently NOT called Dick Pickwick. Hope he and his ancestor get a scene where they try to out evil-ambassador each other.

Generally I just want more cute Fillory scenes.The show could afford to be at least five percent fluffier sometimes.

muscles like this! posted:

Poor exploding Todd. Also it is kind of weird that they explicitly said that all the supporting cast came into the future with Eliot and Margot but they haven't really been around.

Maybe Rizwan Manji is busy? He hasn't been on Schitt's Creek for a while either.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I think the important thing to remember is that Margo did not give handjobs to Todd. That was not a thing that happened over several timeloops.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Alhazred posted:

I think the important thing to remember is that Margo did not give handjobs to Todd. That was not a thing that happened over several timeloops.

I'm still waiting for that GIF.

Also there hasn't been a peep about season 6.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A really good facial expression from this week's episode was definitely Penny's reaction to Todd saying he's always wanted to meet someone from another timeline.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I would love a compilation of all the times Penny is just baffled by the stupid poo poo the rest of the cast says. It would be like three hours long.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I think the only cast members not to play alternate universe versions of themselves now are Margo, Eliot, Julia and Kady.

We've seen alternate versions of Josh and Quentin from the version of history where Quentin becomes the Beast, both Penny and Marina are refugees from that time, and there was the alternate Alice way back in Season Two. Surprised they've gotten so much mileage out of the concept tbh.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I think the only cast members not to play alternate universe versions of themselves now are Margo, Eliot, Julia and Kady.

We've seen alternate versions of Josh and Quentin from the version of history where Quentin becomes the Beast, both Penny and Marina are refugees from that time, and there was the alternate Alice way back in Season Two. Surprised they've gotten so much mileage out of the concept tbh.

Well, there was the Margolem and the manifestation of Angry Margot in Eliot's head. I'm all for more Margos to be honest. Summer's range could give them all unique personalities.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
I appreciate that they've confirmed that the timelines keep going after a reset. If they eventually end with the books being the final timeline, that wouldn't affect what happens to the versions of the characters we know.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Rhyno posted:

Well, there was the Margolem and the manifestation of Angry Margot in Eliot's head. I'm all for more Margos to be honest. Summer's range could give them all unique personalities.

She really is the breakout member of the cast. She's obviously mega hot, but I reckon she's also by far their best actor.

I'm going through her imdb and this appears to be her breakout role, so more power to her.

Apparently she was Azula in the live action Avatar the Last Airbender movie, which is both hilarious -- because that film was terrible -- and actually kind of good casting in retrospect.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Ghost Margot was in an episode as well when they went timeline hopping.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Summer is definitely doing the heavy lifting in all her scenes but really, this whole cast is phenomenal. Hale does despair better than most for example. Dude just sells that sadness so well.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Bussamove posted:

I would love a compilation of all the times Penny is just baffled by the stupid poo poo the rest of the cast says. It would be like three hours long.

Penny "I want to control what my girlfriend do" 23 doesn't get to be baffled by something saying stupid poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Hey, Penny 40 had plenty of it too. :v: