Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

zombies zombies zombies

I'm on a zombie kick and need more recs for my ever-growing hoard

zombie games I own:

Breach & Clear Deadline Rebirth
Dead Age
Dead Rising 1+2
Deadlight
Death Road to Canada
Dying Light
How to Survive
Left 4 Dead 2
Project Zomboid
Rebuild 3
resident evil 4+5
SPAZ 1+2
Splatter
Walking Dead s1+2
Yet Another Zombie Defense
Zafehouse Diaries
Zombie Army Trilogy
Zombie Driver HD
Zombie Night Terror

zombie games I want:

Dead State
Dead Island
Z Dawn
DayZ
They Are Billions

what zombie games am I missing? Must be on steam or uplay (not touching epic). any genres are welcome. I just want zombies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

XCOM 2: War of the Chosen has zombies

There are always more Resident Evil games, of course. I don't see Typing of the Dead: Overkill on that list either.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Hwurmp posted:

XCOM 2: War of the Chosen has zombies

There are always more Resident Evil games, of course. I don't see Typing of the Dead: Overkill on that list either.

Oh that's true, I'd forgotten about the zombos in XCOM. Typing of the Dead is now on the wishlist, but I'm not eager to get more Resident Evils.

e: I mean residents 1+2 are on the wishlist anyways because I want to check out the origins of the genre but I expect they will be too spooky for me.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

StrixNebulosa posted:

zombies zombies zombies

Atom Zombie Smasher and Organ Trail come to mind.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

There are more than just zombies, and it'll require emulation or tracking down a copy (SNES or Genesis), but Zombies Ate My Neighbors is a pretty good run and gun with zombies!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Did you ever play Plants vs. Zombies? I know that's the point where Popcap was lost forever in Games-as-Service Hell but the first game is still a classic.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

Oh that's true, I'd forgotten about the zombos in XCOM. Typing of the Dead is now on the wishlist, but I'm not eager to get more Resident Evils.

e: I mean residents 1+2 are on the wishlist anyways because I want to check out the origins of the genre but I expect they will be too spooky for me.

RE, at least the early ones, are....not particularly spooky. Maybe the remakes are, I haven't played them, but 1 and 2 are...B-movie spooky.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

StrixNebulosa posted:

what zombie games am I missing? Must be on steam or uplay (not touching epic). any genres are welcome. I just want zombies.

I'm not a huge fan of any of these, but they are ok:

Killing Floor 1-2
Final Station
Deadbolt
Nation Red

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
I've played Dead Island recently, which you've listed already. I'd deffo recommend it even if the gameplay is jank. The immaculately beautiful tourist trap island resort contrasts really well with the brutal undead slaughter, A+ zombo vibes.

There's also Zombasite. It's an ARPG grindfest in Soldak Entertainment's own signature style, with a zombifying virus game mechanic plastered on top. Not that much zombie vibe though, it's still mostly grinding down monsters. I'd say C tier zombie vibe on that one.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

It's not something you can get on PC, but if you have a 360, try and track down a copy of Stubbs the Zombie. One of very few games where tou get to be the zombie, and its also chock full of humour.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

ShootaBoy posted:

It's not something you can get on PC, but if you have a 360, try and track down a copy of Stubbs the Zombie. One of very few games where tou get to be the zombie, and its also chock full of humour.

Mmm, not what I'm looking for. Thanks tho!

StoryTime posted:

I've played Dead Island recently, which you've listed already. I'd deffo recommend it even if the gameplay is jank. The immaculately beautiful tourist trap island resort contrasts really well with the brutal undead slaughter, A+ zombo vibes.

There's also Zombasite. It's an ARPG grindfest in Soldak Entertainment's own signature style, with a zombifying virus game mechanic plastered on top. Not that much zombie vibe though, it's still mostly grinding down monsters. I'd say C tier zombie vibe on that one.

As I understand it, Dead Island is a precursor to Dying Light so I expect it to be older and janky but fun fun fun. I hope at least!

And I've put many hours into Zombasite but it ain't a zombie game. I mean I wish it were, but nope.

AngryRobotsInc posted:

There are more than just zombies, and it'll require emulation or tracking down a copy (SNES or Genesis), but Zombies Ate My Neighbors is a pretty good run and gun with zombies!

I think I've played that! It's been ages, but young me + ZSNES + no other consoles = I think I tried everything on the SNES at least once.

Kennel posted:

I'm not a huge fan of any of these, but they are ok:

Killing Floor 1-2
Final Station
Deadbolt
Nation Red

Killing Floor seems to be like Left 4 Dead in that it's almost multiplayer or co-op required? So I've been avoiding them both.

Final Station is good but I preferred watching an LP of it to playing it.

Deadbolt looks cool. Nation Red doesn't.

Wishlisted both!

Hwurmp posted:

Did you ever play Plants vs. Zombies? I know that's the point where Popcap was lost forever in Games-as-Service Hell but the first game is still a classic.

Yeah! I put many hours into it a long time ago. Might pick it up again, idk.

Thanks everyone!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

StrixNebulosa posted:

Killing Floor seems to be like Left 4 Dead in that it's almost multiplayer or co-op required? So I've been avoiding them both.

Yeah, instead of going from A to B, you are fighting against X amount of waves + a boss. Not very fun as a solo.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Kennel posted:

Yeah, instead of going from A to B, you are fighting against X amount of waves + a boss. Not very fun as a solo.

Booooo. Thanks though, I'll avoid wasting the money.

Chobayt
Oct 9, 2012
State of Decay isn't on your list, it's pretty good if you want scrounging for supplies + dealing with other survivors + sneaking around/ fighting through hordes of deadheads. Plus the second one is coming out on Steam on the 13th.

Edit: I just remembered I have a gift copy of the game + all the DLC that they gave out awhile ago just sitting around, if you're interested Strix, my steam name is the same as my forums name.

Chobayt fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Feb 21, 2020

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Last of Us
Seven Days to Die
:darksouls:
Halo Trilogy
ZombiU
Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare

But the most unique thing I can recommend is the Infectionator series, where instead of fighting zombies, you strategically spread the plague zombie plague to destroy the whole world. Infectionator 1 and 2 you can play for free on mobile or places like Armor Games or Kongregate, but Infectionator 3 is a proper published game on Steam that you can slap down :10bux: on.

Edit: Also the Prototype games are real good.

SlothfulCobra fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Feb 21, 2020

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

SlothfulCobra posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVU-EPWIqIg

Yes they are. One of the neat things about Prototype 1 is that you are elbow-dropping tanks and helicopters and poo poo within 5 minutes of the game starting up. They are almost never on sale though.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Feb 21, 2020

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Chobayt posted:

State of Decay isn't on your list, it's pretty good if you want scrounging for supplies + dealing with other survivors + sneaking around/ fighting through hordes of deadheads. Plus the second one is coming out on Steam on the 13th.

Edit: I just remembered I have a gift copy of the game + all the DLC that they gave out awhile ago just sitting around, if you're interested Strix, my steam name is the same as my forums name.

oh lmao I forgot to put State of Decay in my zombie category, thanks! I've been playing it this morning actually! Thanks for the offer!

SlothfulCobra posted:

Last of Us
Seven Days to Die
:darksouls:
Halo Trilogy
ZombiU
Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare

But the most unique thing I can recommend is the Infectionator series, where instead of fighting zombies, you strategically spread the plague zombie plague to destroy the whole world. Infectionator 1 and 2 you can play for free on mobile or places like Armor Games or Kongregate, but Infectionator 3 is a proper published game on Steam that you can slap down :10bux: on.

Last of Us: not on PC
7 days to die: oh lmao another one I've been playing that I didn't put in my zombie list. Thanks for the reminder!
Dark Souls: contains no zombies, doesn't count. plenty of undead but like, no. not a zombie game. I am being really weirdly selective here.
Halo: wait what, really?
ZombiU: I gotta look at when it goes on sale on uplay
RDR: not on PC

and ooh, I knew about Infectionator being on steam but not that its prequels were free. Thanks!

e: prototype: wait what, this has zombies?? I thought it was super-venom vs military open world fun
e2: I haven't actually played prototype

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

StrixNebulosa posted:

e: prototype: wait what, this has zombies?? I thought it was super-venom vs military open world fun
e2: I haven't actually played prototype

Well if Dark Souls zombies don't count I don't think Prototype zombies are going to count.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Well if Dark Souls zombies don't count I don't think Prototype zombies are going to count.

Sounds good. I'll pick it up someday and enjoy it, but not when I want zombies

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There are a lot of things that try to do zombies-but-different. Prototype has a lot of the typical "infected" tropes, but it does focus more on fighting the military and big monsters. There are shamblers, but they never really threaten the player character. Halo has the Flood, which is extremely zombie-ish, little tentacled egg aliens that go about reanimating dead corpses that you can dismember with a shotgun as they shamble towards you. Only about half the game is fighting them though, but I'd say they're more zombie-ish than the headcrab zombies of Half-Life.

In more edge cases, Mass Effect technically has zombies, although they're all tech-y and glowing and Dead Space has its own kind of alien zomboids.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

A few of the levels in the various Metal Slug games are 100% zombie. Both shooting them and becoming a zombie

Chobayt
Oct 9, 2012
Oh, if you're willing to kludge around with modding a Bethesda game: Fallout 4.

Pretty sure the main mod I'm thinking of is literally just called Zombie Walkers, you can customize it a bunch. Stuff like spawn density, infection chance/who's infect-able, speed/damage, you can swap spawns of robots and hostile animals to be zombies and they even have a system where if your character gets infected and dies you swap to controlling one of your settlers.

With that and some other mods you could make a pretty decent "Scavenge around then build up a disparate group of settlements to confront the undead" simulator. You'd prolly have to ignore the plot/most of the quests but it could make for an ok time depending on how into it you let yourself get.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Chobayt posted:

Oh, if you're willing to kludge around with modding a Bethesda game: Fallout 4.

Pretty sure the main mod I'm thinking of is literally just called Zombie Walkers, you can customize it a bunch. Stuff like spawn density, infection chance/who's infect-able, speed/damage, you can swap spawns of robots and hostile animals to be zombies and they even have a system where if your character gets infected and dies you swap to controlling one of your settlers.

With that and some other mods you could make a pretty decent "Scavenge around then build up a disparate group of settlements to confront the undead" simulator. You'd prolly have to ignore the plot/most of the quests but it could make for an ok time depending on how into it you let yourself get.

I put Fallout 4 on my wishlist the other day because of this mod: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEpmzpbKd9U

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I hate to be the stoner but zoning out on edibles and playing games is one of my favorite ways to chill, but I'm looking for more games.

I love bright, colorful low stakes management and exploration games, most recently Viva Pinata, Stardew Valley and DragonQuest Builders 2. Something uncomplicated and light-hearted, with an objective but not a lot of stress.

I also really like shooters, both endless skirmish like battlefield or ravenfield, or the CoD series campaigns, stupid as they can get. Love Far Cry generally but there's a lot of really dumb cutscenes involved, it seems like.

Puzzles are right out. I'm already get my balled fist caught in jars trying to extract the delicious fruit within, so spatial reasoning is not my strong suit.

If you've got favorite stoner games, I want to hear about them.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Riatsala posted:

I hate to be the stoner but zoning out on edibles and playing games is one of my favorite ways to chill, but I'm looking for more games.

I love bright, colorful low stakes management and exploration games, most recently Viva Pinata, Stardew Valley and DragonQuest Builders 2. Something uncomplicated and light-hearted, with an objective but not a lot of stress.

I also really like shooters, both endless skirmish like battlefield or ravenfield, or the CoD series campaigns, stupid as they can get. Love Far Cry generally but there's a lot of really dumb cutscenes involved, it seems like.

Puzzles are right out. I'm already get my balled fist caught in jars trying to extract the delicious fruit within, so spatial reasoning is not my strong suit.

I'm no stoner (alas), but No Man's Sky sounds right up your alley. Or Astroneer.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Mine's probably Ark. Something about that game really speaks to me, even though I know its jank as gently caress and probably an objectively bad game overall. Just hundreds of hours of wandering and exploring and getting murdered by wildlife

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Current good games are Urtuk: The Desolation by David Kaleta nd Chaos Sector, and it's sequel Chaos Galaxy by Ham Zhiyu

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Riatsala posted:

I had a similiar request a while back.

Slime Rancher

Subnautica (it’s actually pretty scary at parts but just amazing for exploring and discovering cool poo poo. Also, underwater gardening just because.

My personal, obscure favourite- Knytt Underground. Pop on some headphones and zone out. It’s like the game Limbo if it took shrooms and chilled out.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Feb 21, 2020

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Riatsala posted:

Eastshade

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I like to recommend Punch Club a lot, although I'm not sure how well it fits for your purposes. It doesn't really need that much higher judgement, and you can go fight a ninja turtle.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Could someone recommend a PC game for my 65 year old family member? She just started gaming recently. I'm pretty sure she has maxed out Stardew Valley. She's having a lot of fun in World of Warcraft as well (although running around in-doors will make her dizzy and she is a clicker).

Is there a simple version of things like City Skylines or Zoo Tycoon? Or another game similar to Stardew Valley? I think too many options in an building/resource game would be hard for her.

Perpetual Hiatus
Oct 29, 2011

Unholy Heights is a pretty cute and not overly complicated management game of sorts.
You are the devil and you run an apartment block, keep your tenants happy (balance rent and give them things they want for their apartments) and stop adventurers looting the joint.

While I'm here, anyone recommend something similar to Unholy Heights?

E: Not what you were asking for, but if she likes scrabble/words then Letter Quest: Grimms Journey?

Perpetual Hiatus fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Feb 22, 2020

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Hughmoris posted:

Could someone recommend a PC game for my 65 year old family member? She just started gaming recently. I'm pretty sure she has maxed out Stardew Valley. She's having a lot of fun in World of Warcraft as well (although running around in-doors will make her dizzy and she is a clicker).

Is there a simple version of things like City Skylines or Zoo Tycoon? Or another game similar to Stardew Valley? I think too many options in an building/resource game would be hard for her.

My Time at Portia could work.

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Now with 22% more apathy!

Hughmoris posted:

Or another game similar to Stardew Valley?

I've heard ok things about Graveyard Keeper.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

I'll throw in a recommendation for Equilinox. It's super chill and low pressure while still giving the player some agency. Trying to set up the right combinations to get the evolutions to start is chill and challenging at the same time.

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Now with 22% more apathy!
Also maybe Starbound and/or Terraria.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Tagra posted:

I'll throw in a recommendation for Equilinox. It's super chill and low pressure while still giving the player some agency. Trying to set up the right combinations to get the evolutions to start is chill and challenging at the same time.

is there anything like this that has controller support, my wife was real interested in it but she can't play anything with mouse or it gives her arm pain

played all the usual relaxing stuff like portia, stardew valley, etc already

anything similar to viva pinata or this would be cool probably

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 22, 2020

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

zombies zombies zombies

zombie games I own:

Dead Age
Dead Rising 1+2
Deadlight
Death Road to Canada
Dying Light
How to Survive
Left 4 Dead 2
Project Zomboid
Rebuild 3
resident evil 4+5
SPAZ 1+2
Splatter
Walking Dead s1+2
Zafehouse Diaries
Zombie Army Trilogy
Zombie Driver HD
Zombie Night Terror

zombie games I want:

Dead State
Dead Island
Z Dawn
DayZ
They Are Billions

A couple freebies:

Shattered Colony, on kongregate or armorgames: RTS where you build a base and manage survivors and resources.

Cataclysm Dark Days Ahead: free rougelike/survival game.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

StrixNebulosa posted:

zombies zombies zombies

zombie games I own:

Dead Age
Dead Rising 1+2
Deadlight
Death Road to Canada
Dying Light
How to Survive
Left 4 Dead 2
Project Zomboid
Rebuild 3
resident evil 4+5
SPAZ 1+2
Splatter
Walking Dead s1+2
Zafehouse Diaries
Zombie Army Trilogy
Zombie Driver HD
Zombie Night Terror

zombie games I want:

Dead State
Dead Island
Z Dawn
DayZ
They Are Billions

Metal Gear: Survive, which had a number of problems but was better than a cheap asset flip from a dying company had to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

iSurrender posted:

I've heard ok things about Graveyard Keeper.

Graveyard Keeper is decent, but has some questionable content (in one story mission you sell beer and burgers while "witches" are burned alive). It's weird because most of the game is quite good-natured, despite the macabre setting.

The game is also pretty cryptic in some parts, if you don't use guides.