Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
As of yet, it's not a collectible game, each pack has exactly what's shown on the cover.

As far as I'm aware, as a playtester, there are no plans to make any figures that are limited runs with any unique gameplay elements.

Rather, if exclusives do happen, they would likely be cosmetically different versions of existing characters with the same abilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/269578/games-where-someone-knows-something

So everyone here knows how good some board game covers are. This is a tribute to some of the best.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I don’t have any of the Jurassic Park stuff but Unmatched has been easier for me to get to the table than Funkoverse. My casual gaming friends find it easier to learn.

I love both games though. I don’t think you can go wrong either way but if it’s a gift for someone, I’d go with Funkoverse because there’s no way they won’t love the minis.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Broke out Root's Clockwork Expansion and had a really weird time. It was a 2 human, 2 bot game just to try it out. Corvids and Moles as the human players and Cats and Birds as the bots, on the Lake map.

Thanks to how the bots prioritize spaces and lucky card draw, the Cat bot mounted extraordinary pressure against the Moles. All the Fox clearings were bunched together in the Mole corner, and once the Cats got a foothold in there the Moles got pushed out when it drew fox cards repeatedly. The Corvids have very little map presence and the Cats always target most warriors, so the Moles were always their target. The war was a stalemate so the Cats ran out of space to build. When they can't build, they get to repeat their Daylight phase (until they build 5 buildings, which they never did). This recursion happened until a wild was drawn, which grants them a different, more aggressive Daylight phase without repeating. I don't think I've ever played a game that simulated a Mongol horde like these bots did. Frankly it was astounding.

The strangest thing though, was the Bird bot. Almost every single turn it managed to draw a bird card which is amazing luck by itself. How moving for them works is that it chooses a space of a suit in its decree of highest priority and moves to an adjacent space with the fewest enemy pieces. So because it drew wild constantly, the highest priority space is chosen from all of them and it's always its home corner. So basically it always moved to the same places and could never build more roosts, and thus went into turmoil almost every turn. I pored over the rules to find something I missed but I guess the Birds just got to suffer amazingly bad card draw and end the game with 5 points.

As a note, both the Lake map and the Corvids are not that much fun against the bots. We made a call that the bots wouldn't use the raft (not that it ever had the opportunity in hindsight) and since the map was circular, the Moles were beset on both sides and could make almost no ground. All they could do was stem the orange tide while the birds shot themselves in the foot repeatedly. Corvids want to play mind games with their plots and bait exposures, both of which a bot couldn't care less about, and I felt bad about targeting the Moles who were *barely* avoiding drowning.

Strangest game of Root I've ever played. I'll definitely try the base factions on the base map and see how is susses out next time.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Qubee posted:

March of the Ants is shipping out this week for people in the UK / EU. They confirmed my order and I'm excited, especially since I paid for this ages ago and completely forgot about it.

I got my shipping notification for this as well. Perfect timing, as I've just had a kid.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I know I'm very late to the party, but I just started watching Shut Up & Sit Down and they are amazing! Very funny, knowledgeable about the games, and honest about what they like and dislike about each game. They've got me wanting to bust out some board games again.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

LifeLynx posted:

I know I'm very late to the party, but I just started watching Shut Up & Sit Down and they are amazing! Very funny, knowledgeable about the games, and honest about what they like and dislike about each game. They've got me wanting to bust out some board games again.

You'll get disagrement here about everything but this but that also makes them some of the best reviewers online.

I'm still pissed about their Virgin Queen video.

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

SettingSun posted:

Strangest game of Root I've ever played. I'll definitely try the base factions on the base map and see how is susses out next time.

We had the same malfunction with our first play of the Electric Eyrie. I’m surprised it made it out of play testing like that, it sounds like a lot of people immediately ran into the problem. Maybe the solution is to add a “without a Roost” clause to the move rule. Or change least enemy pieces to read something like “least enemy pieces (and at least one).”

e: We also played games with the Cats and the Vagabot. The Cats were a lot better than the first version, and the Vagabot was pretty simple to run while doing interesting things to the board.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Yeah the Electric Eyrie rules had a last minute change that hosed up how you’re supposed to resolve movement- you’re supposed to prioritize clearings without Roosts first, then if there’s a tie pick the clearing with the fewest enemy pieces.

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

Triskelli posted:

Yeah the Electric Eyrie rules had a last minute change that hosed up how you’re supposed to resolve movement- you’re supposed to prioritize clearings without Roosts first, then if there’s a tie pick the clearing with the fewest enemy pieces.

Oof, that’s a lot better. Good to know. Hopefully they’ll make some stickers or something.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

LifeLynx posted:

They're my favorite reviewers for sure. I disagree with them here and there, but for the most part we share similar interests in mechanics. I'll often throw a game on my wishlist and have them review it positively months down the road. Also a lot more entertaining and easy to watch than most board game reviewers, who are insufferable dweebs.

SU&SD and 3 Minute Board Games are pretty much the best.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The hallmark of a good reviewer is parsing their review according to your personal tastes and yeah SUSD have opinions that short circuit my brain but I can usually tell if I would like something even if it runs counter to their opinion or vice versa.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Triskelli posted:

I read around this morning and found the same answer, and this changes EE entirely. I pulled the game back out over lunch and pitted the 4 bots against each other and the results were way different. A re-read of the rules fixed our problem with the Cat bot too: they'll always build somewhere if they rule a clearing, even if the majority of their warrior's aren't there.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Does anyone know where I can get an English copy of Arcadia Quest Pets in the US? The only option I can maybe seem to find is hoping a BGG user is willing to ship from Germany to US. I've tried every other avenue I can find

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

al-azad posted:

The hallmark of a good reviewer is parsing their review according to your personal tastes and yeah SUSD have opinions that short circuit my brain but I can usually tell if I would like something even if it runs counter to their opinion or vice versa.

I think it was SWVAG or maybe SUSD that recently said something on their podcast to the effect of: the best thing to hear is when someone says they heard your review where you said you didn't like something, and someone used that information to decide it was right for them and bought it.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Reynold posted:

They're my favorite reviewers for sure. I disagree with them here and there, but for the most part we share similar interests in mechanics. I'll often throw a game on my wishlist and have them review it positively months down the road. Also a lot more entertaining and easy to watch than most board game reviewers, who are insufferable dweebs.

SU&SD and 3 Minute Board Games are pretty much the best.

They tend to review games that are exactly in my zone, so it's great. I'm running through their playlist and almost every single game was one I was considering looking at in the first place. Hell I've had Gloomhaven sitting in a box for almost a year and haven't played it because I want a good dedicated group of people, and their review has gotten me running through my friends list.

It's even fun watching the games I already know. Marvel Champions is great, but I had to agree with their point that it's not as good as Arkham Horror and the end of the game is "here's the math, do we win? ...okay, yep." Their review of Terraforming Mars, a game I loathe, hit the same complaints I have: you have this enormous pile of cards in front of you and no one's interacting, just waiting for everyone to finish their turn while forgetting to move up heat and other numbers. But it's not like they were overly critical of the game.

I know Rodney Smith doesn't exactly review games, but I felt sad you left him out anyway. I've decided to get some games based on how fun the rules seemed.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
rodney "motion sickness" smith i still use to get a feel for how a game plays but boy i can't do it for long

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Are you sure you're not thinking of Rahdo?

Losem
Jun 17, 2003
Slightly Angry Sheep
Yeah Rodney does really good rule videos, while Rahdo you need to kind of temper his excitement. One I got back to time to time is JonGetsGames. He'll usually do a 3 player game (usually what my group size is) and showcase various strategies for a game. Ready Steady Play is fine but their low budget production makes it hard to follow some of their game play videos.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
SU&SD were a big part of me realising that board games weren't just the small handful of games people sometimes play during a power cut or whatever. I probably own 3-5 games based partly on their recommendations or from watching them play it during a stream. I don't always agree with their reviews but, with a few exceptions, they normally give a pretty reasonable summary of why they like or dislike a game. Now I know more about my own personally gaming tastes I think they're pretty useful. I still think Paul going was a big blow though.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Mr. Squishy posted:

Are you sure you're not thinking of Rahdo?

i am thinking of rahdo, dangit

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
...but wait, I could do this but Jenn could do that.
...maybe I'll do (thing on other side of board that was out of view until a moment ago)...
Hm...

I know! I will (break a rule)!

Rahdo got us a great grasp of Eurogames but we have to temper his stuff with just about everybody else.

We lately have taken to BGG Game Night videos as general background videos. I am amused that Dave often is explaining a game he just saw 45 minutes before. It must be equal parts experience and acting.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Redundant posted:

I still think Paul going was a big blow though.

I agree. They still have that core of presenting both what works and doesn't for a game but Quinns is all-in on the enthusiasm of playing with friends and Paul tempered that well by generally being much more focused on the actual game. Matt's good in his solo stuff but doesn't push back against Quinns in the same way in their scripts, and the new intern (...Tom? Tim? Some completely different name?) doesn't have his own voice yet, just some gags. The actual reviews have a lot of pre-shoot back and forth and hashing out and aren't anywhere near as ad-libbed as they appear so I think the important parts are still addressed, but Quinn's enthusiasm can overwhelm the actual meat of the performance.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Calandale, Dan Thurot, and SVWAG are the best reviewers. They really put thought in their reviews and are more critics than reviewers (lovely write-up about that from Dan too). I still watch SUSD from time to time, and I do miss enjoying SUSD and Rahdo years ago, but there's that philosophical, omphaloskeptic attempt at reaching the abstract notions of games-as-art these three do that nobody else really does.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

SettingSun posted:

Broke out Root's Clockwork Expansion and had a really weird time. It was a 2 human, 2 bot game just to try it out. Corvids and Moles as the human players and Cats and Birds as the bots, on the Lake map.

I believe this expansion is based on these bots?

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2068034/better-bot-project-v5-released-riverfolk-company-b

I've only played around with the Cats, and while they are a big improvement over the original Mechanical Marquise, there's still some problems. First, as you discovered, they just don't work with the Underworld maps. Second, they may be a decent substitute in a full game, but playing one faction solo against them is broken. I tried as the Moles and stomped the bot with ease. I tried as WA and it was pretty much impossible to win. I still want to try out the other bots, though. Maybe a solo game against 3 of them might work without too much micromanagement. It's gotta be better than dealing with COIN bots, at least!

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

Chill la Chill posted:

Calandale, Dan Thurot, and SVWAG are the best reviewers. They really put thought in their reviews and are more critics than reviewers (lovely write-up about that from Dan too). I still watch SUSD from time to time, and I do miss enjoying SUSD and Rahdo years ago, but there's that philosophical, omphaloskeptic attempt at reaching the abstract notions of games-as-art these three do that nobody else really does.

These are good but how is everyone missing that The Dragon's Tomb is secretly the best game critic channel in boardgaming?

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
I miss UvulaBob.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

For getting a good sense of how a game plays I enjoy JohnGetsGames. And yeah, he tries like 3 different strategies in his playthroughs and he is very clear and precise. Although is speech pattern took me some time to get used to.

MarcoOmnigamer (used to be MarcoWargamer) also does some good reviews and a nice overview of how the game is played.

GamingRules! is my go to rules channel and I'm always happy if Paul covers a game I own. His reviews are good as well.

Ant Lap Games also produce some really nice playthroughs and they sold me on Lignum.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

GrandpaPants posted:

You made a great choice, but people bounce off of that game for very specific reasons. The biggest one is likely the hidden objectives, but just be comfortable in making educated guesses as to which tracks other players are likely racing for and which tracks you are no longer in the race for.

But yeah, table space is definitely an issue with that game and is probably the one reason I don't play it as often as I'd like.

I played Root tonight and for the life of me I cannot figure out how to play the Riverfolk (vs Vagabond, Duchy, Marquise). I was stymied by the fact that the Vagabond basically never bought any of my services (most realistically, just the cards) and by the fact that the Duchy very rarely attacked the Marquise or vice versa. I basically had to fight both fronts as proxy because they wouldn't otherwise, which was profitable, but not as much as you'd think. I just couldn't set up a good rhythm of keeping funds in my bank to get points, spending funds to recruit, and maintaining my card shop to get enough points to win.

Are you sure that combination of factions is healthy according to the Reach table in the back of the latest Law of Root edition?

(Also in the latest Law of Root edition: my name!)

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

DoctorWhat posted:

Are you sure that combination of factions is healthy according to the Reach table in the back of the latest Law of Root edition?
10+8+5+5 = 28 so it should be okay according to that?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Speaking of Reach

https://twitter.com/murphzero/status/1227986094215528450?s=19

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

These are good but how is everyone missing that The Dragon's Tomb is secretly the best game critic channel in boardgaming?

Is he a critic? I was under the impression that the channel just did very accurate rules explanations.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

DoctorWhat posted:

(Also in the latest Law of Root edition: my name!)

You can almost always have a pretty ok game of Root if you include two factions that compete for space militarily (Cats, Birds, Moles) and any amount of guerrilla factions. This is why the 2 player sum can only be reached with combos of those 3 factions. And these two factions need to fight constantly, as their war is the machine that feeds all other factions (Vagabond can play sides, WA will get supporters via outrage as the military moves around, Riverfolk has ready buyers, etc).

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
After SVAG dismissed On Mars with 'why bother' I'm done with them. A lot of work went into that game and while it's not for everyone and clearly not for them, I think it deserved more than what they said. Not happy with Grogan's live tutorials either. At least Heavy Cardboard explains the game before the teach/playthrough, but Grogan can't even be bothered to do that. So right now I'm only listening to Game Brain (I'm on today's podcast btw) and will probably take a look at No Pun Intended and Game Barrage (? I think that's the name).

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Mayveena posted:

Not happy with Grogan's live tutorials either. At least Heavy Cardboard explains the game before the teach/playthrough, but Grogan can't even be bothered to do that.

Which I think is a shame cause I really like is non live videos but yeah, his live playthroughs are not my cup of tea.

Or live playthroughs in general. I haven't seen one I really enjoyed.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Mayveena posted:

After SVAG dismissed On Mars with 'why bother' I'm done with them. A lot of work went into that game and while it's not for everyone and clearly not for them, I think it deserved more than what they said. Not happy with Grogan's live tutorials either. At least Heavy Cardboard explains the game before the teach/playthrough, but Grogan can't even be bothered to do that. So right now I'm only listening to Game Brain (I'm on today's podcast btw) and will probably take a look at No Pun Intended and Game Barrage (? I think that's the name).

The amount of work put into a game is meaningless when thinking about if it's good or not. The makers of Western Legends poured thousands of hours into make the game but it's still a garbage game.

There's no points for effort in rating boardgames.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

SUSD is cool but i seem to like eurogames more than they do, but they do seem pretty consistent with what they do and don’t like, and give fair explanations of both. i picked up A Fake Artist because of their review and it’s stupid fun to pull out in a group of 8 or so

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Aramoro posted:

The amount of work put into a game is meaningless when thinking about if it's good or not. The makers of Western Legends poured thousands of hours into make the game but it's still a garbage game.

There's no points for effort in rating boardgames.

Because it's Lacerda is what I should have said. I think his other games have gotten good reviews and On Mars is certainly within the scope of his other games, it's not a surprise if you've played Lisboa or Vinhos. So 'why bother' just seems disrespectful given Lacerda's pedigree. Obviously not everyone likes Lacerda games and that's totally fine but really you should at least understand that a lot of people do like his games and do better than what they did.

The other thing about SVAG is that I realized they play very few games I'm interested in. The games Mark likes are not games that I like. Which is fine, but it means what he's talking about isn't relevant or helpful for me.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Can we ban the words "trash" and "garbage" when talking about games? Western Legends, Terraforming Mars, whatever the thread likes to hate on, they aren't garbage, they just aren't for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Lord Of Texas posted:

Can we ban the words "trash" and "garbage" when talking about games? Western Legends, Terraforming Mars, whatever the thread likes to hate on, they aren't garbage, they just aren't for you.

I'll second that. No matter how bad they are, assuming they've gotten any traction at all we can at least acknowledge that. The thread becomes too insular when name calling is resorted to, people will feel they don't belong here if they like TM or Western Legends and I wouldn't want people to feel that way.