Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

VERTiG0 posted:

This sounds too good to be true and too easy to be a thing in this market.

The CRTC had to make laws about number porting for it to get this easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
and it still takes 2 weeks if one side is a land-line lol.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Yeah isn't this the one thing that regulators said "make it work"? And, amazingly, it's the one thing that works. Glad regulators went back to sleep after that.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
That, 2 year contract max, and a ban on SIM locking once a contract is up. But yea, it's not enough.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Dillbag posted:

That, 2 year contract max, and a ban on SIM locking once a contract is up. But yea, it's not enough.

I'd argue the 2 year contract thing ultimately failed in implementation because now they've just axed device subsidies entirely in favour of device financing, while not lowering the price of plans to reflect the now lack of device subsidy.

When cell plans now look more like car leases you know it's all out of hand.

less than three fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Feb 23, 2020

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

less than three posted:

I'd argue the 2 year contract thing ultimately failed in implementation because now they've just axed device subsidies entirely in favour of device financing, while not lowering the price of plans to reflect the now lack of device subsidy.

When cell plans now look more like car leases you know it's all out of hand.

What the gently caress is upfront edge

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

mediaphage posted:

What the gently caress is upfront edge

Is google not working for you? https://www.rogers.com/consumer/wireless/upfront-edge

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Thanks for the link, no need to be an rear end.

I guess that plan will be good for normal humans who can keep their phone pristine but that sure as poo poo ain’t me. Also you know Rogers will try to gently caress your real good on this.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

mediaphage posted:

I guess that plan will be good for normal humans who can keep their phone pristine but that sure as poo poo ain’t me. Also you know Rogers will try to gently caress your real good on this.

It doesn't have to be "pristine" and it's all in that link:

"Your device is in good working condition when it can power up to the home screen, accept a charge, and have the ability to perform a factory reset. The screen must be functional and cannot have any dark spots, blemishes, broken glass or cracked glass."

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

mediaphage posted:

They offer a $13 'device protection plan' making it more expensive than the straight up financing to keep, and you still have to give the phone back after 2 years.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Paying for a screen replacement cheaper than paying back the extra-big subsidy, too.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
I miss the OG iPhone days when I had to travel to the USA to buy a phone.

But had 5gb of data on Rogers. Ah memories

Nitr0 fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Feb 23, 2020

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

It doesn't have to be "pristine" and it's all in that link:

"Your device is in good working condition when it can power up to the home screen, accept a charge, and have the ability to perform a factory reset. The screen must be functional and cannot have any dark spots, blemishes, broken glass or cracked glass."

Ugh.

I read your link. I missed that, and I maintain that Rogers is easily scummy enough to, say, reject an iPhone that theoretically meets that standard but has some other big cosmetic blemish.

less than three posted:

They offer a $13 'device protection plan' making it more expensive than the straight up financing to keep, and you still have to give the phone back after 2 years.

Lol, amazing.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Looks like I'm back in the arms of Big Red thanks to a work-related offer. Public Mobile was good while it lasted but for and extra six bucks a month for more data and better calling options across Canada and the US I ain't complaining.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Anyone else get one of these lovely emails this morning?

quote:

Dear <Gunslinger>

We recently detected a security incident impacting your account information.
What happened:
On February 13, 2020, an unauthorized third party using compromised credentials accessed our systems and copied August/September 2017 data that included your mobility account number and telephone number. It is possible that the information exposed has changed since 2017, in which case your current information is not compromised.
What we are doing:
We acted quickly to prevent further unauthorized access. Some customers could have been at risk of unauthorized number porting, where a fraudster could use the compromised information to gain control of a customer’s phone number by moving it to another carrier. This would mean that the fraudster would receive your calls and texts. To prevent this, we have applied port protection on your account. Port protection is a feature that prevents the porting of your number to another carrier unless you call us first. If you’d like to have this feature removed, please contact us.
We have found evidence that the unauthorized third party is offering the information for sale online. With port protection in place, we do not believe that your information could be used for any fraudulent purposes. Nevertheless, we have reported this incident to Law Enforcement and the Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada and we are working closely with them on this matter.
What you can do:
As always, be diligent in monitoring your online accounts and email for any suspicious activity. Ensure that you do not reuse the same login credentials across different accounts, and use passwords that are difficult to guess. We also recommend that you not register your mobile telephone number on online accounts. If you have done so, you may want to remove it and use an alternative method to receive One Time Passcodes or 2 Factor Authentication codes.
If you have any questions, please contact us at 1 866 995 6636, Monday - Sunday, 9:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m. ET.
At Koodo, we believe customer privacy is of the utmost importance. We are taking this matter very seriously. We remain committed to protecting your privacy. We sincerely regret any inconvenience or concern this may cause and look forward to continuing to serve you in the future.

Sincerely,

Jim Senko
President, Mobility Solutions

After the BMO breach last year I'm on a roll with this crap :aaa:

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I read this a week or two ago but got the email yesterday as well. Not cool. If 2FA stops being bulletproof I'm just going to move to a grass hut on a small island

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Well port protection should be the default if any yahoo in a mall kiosk can take your drat number. But yeah I got that email too. Mercifully I don’t have any 2FA of importance going to SMS, but still...

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Good thing my bank allows other robust MFA mechanism such as ..

.. ah gently caress.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Martytoof posted:

Good thing my bank allows other robust MFA mechanism such as ..

.. ah gently caress.

Ah, a fellow td customer

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Much like Oracle, TD doesn’t have customers, only hostages.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Much like Oracle, TD doesn’t have customers, only hostages.

Captive industry oversight committees, captive customers. Win-win. :unsmigghh:

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

Pivo posted:

Well port protection should be the default if any yahoo in a mall kiosk can take your drat number. But yeah I got that email too. Mercifully I don’t have any 2FA of importance going to SMS, but still...

It should be the default, but realistically if you're being targetted by an identity thief they also probably have enough information about you to call and have your number ported anyway. These companies are garbage at actually stopping this from happening.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I've had the same number for 14 years. Wonder should I finally change it

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

hot date tonight! posted:

It should be the default, but realistically if you're being targetted by an identity thief they also probably have enough information about you to call and have your number ported anyway. These companies are garbage at actually stopping this from happening.

Martytoof posted:

Just went to the Rogers store to have my SIM converted to eSIM.

Dude literally didn't ask me for any ID, name, nothing, just asked for my phone number and sold me a $10 QR card. Didn't even check that the phone I had in my hand had the number I claimed to have.

Just the kind of quality service I can expect from Rogers. If your phone number gets jacked don't be surprised at ALL.

If you're a Rogers customer, they can literally walk into a rogers store with any phone and your phone number and ask for an eSIM, is my experience.

As far as I'm concerned I was the victim of SIM theft. The only saving grace is that I was also the perpetrator.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

https://twitter.com/Bell/status/1238879995092746240?s=19

I'd say that I called it, but I really didn't think this would happen.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Lol waiving overages on home internet whooptie dick. Let’s see it on mobile plans. There’s no reason any of our big carriers should have data limits on home internet plans anyway.

*only $10 more for unlimited*

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Nitr0 posted:

Lol waiving overages on home internet whooptie dick. Let’s see it on mobile plans. There’s no reason any of our big carriers should have data limits on home internet plans anyway.

*only $10 more for unlimited*

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Ah hell I posted that in the wrong thread, duh.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

What, there's a Canadian Broadband thread?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3361500

Of course there is

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

odiv posted:

Ah hell I posted that in the wrong thread, duh.

I'll call off the firing squad

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

If the Public Mobile e-mail I just received is any indication, ya'll ain't gettin' poo poo.

Relevant section:
[quote="Tony Geheran
Chief Customer Officer"]
Keeping Canadians connected
At Public Mobile, we believe we have an important responsibility to leverage the full capabilities of our world-leading technology and resources. It’s during times like this that our work to keep Canadians connected becomes even more crucial. As a national company, we prepare and train for these types of situations, and we want you to know we have strong contingency plans and procedures in place.
There are no current impacts to our operations but as we always do, we’re monitoring our network and systems very closely and have a robust emergency response and pandemic plan in place to mitigate any impacts and manage the increased demand for enhanced capacity.
[/quote]

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Knowing Canadian Cellular they'll graciously reduce data overage rates to $10/gb, down from the current $22/gb or some other meaningless bullshit.

edit: it's even less. this is TELUS and Koodo

quote:

Until the end of April, we will support you by:

Waiving all Easy Roam® and pay-per-use roaming charges for postpaid customers that are stuck in areas with Level 3 advisories and are unable to return to Canada

less than three fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Mar 14, 2020

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

If the Public Mobile e-mail I just received is any indication, ya'll ain't gettin' poo poo.

Relevant section:

Lol what the gently caress was the point of that email

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

They have more than enough capacity because they artificially restrict the supply.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I love how after switching to Rogers I'm getting spam texts outta nowhere. :argh:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Chris Knight posted:

I love how after switching to Rogers I'm getting spam texts outta nowhere. :argh:

I got like four today, but can’t remember the last time this happened.

All I’ve learned is that this is your fault :colbert:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Chris Knight posted:

I wonder if it's algorithm based and needs time to learn, because i haven't had any in three years. Calls, yes, but not texts.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

How else would you know about all the criminal cases registered against your name for tax evasion and tax fraud??

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Moving back to Canada and it looks like Public Mobile pretty much completely ditched 4G data? Unless you pay $30 for 1 GB hahahaahha gently caress this country

I guess Freedom is the next best choice? $35/mo for 10GB unmetered LTE data looks fantastic. Just a bit concerned because we will be in Victoria BC and their coverage map has a few spots of "Nationwide" (ie. roaming) paint in the city. I don't suppose anyone has experience with Freedom in Victoria?

e: I should mention we're a couple and both have our own devices in case that opens up some options with the bigger carriers.

fisting by many fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Mar 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

fisting by many posted:

Moving back to Canada and it looks like Public Mobile pretty much completely ditched 4G data? Unless you pay $30 for 1 GB hahahaahha gently caress this country

I guess Freedom is the next best choice? $35/mo for 10GB unmetered LTE data looks fantastic. Just a bit concerned because we will be in Victoria BC and their coverage map has a few spots of "Nationwide" (ie. roaming) paint in the city. I don't suppose anyone has experience with Freedom in Victoria?

e: I should mention we're a couple and both have our own devices in case that opens up some options with the bigger carriers.

Redflagdeals, while full of sociopaths, will always let you in on who has the best deals. Frankly even if they’ve improved some since being wind, freedom is still noticeably shittier in service than everyone else, although this is heavily location dependant.