Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Wow, the virus can be transmitted by people not infected by it!
Not quite, but close enough:

'A 20-year-old Chinese woman from Wuhan travelled hundreds of miles to another city where she is believed to have infected five relatives without showing signs of infection, scientists in China have said, offering fresh evidence that the new coronavirus can be spread asymptomatically.

The case study, published in the Journal of the American Medical Association, offered clues about how the coronavirus is spreading, and suggested it might be difficult to stop.

According to the study, by Dr Meiyun Wang of the People’s Hospital of Zhengzhou University and colleagues, the woman travelled 400 miles (650km) from Wuhan to Anyang in Henan province on 10 January and visited several relatives. When they started getting sick, doctors isolated the woman and tested her for coronavirus. Initially, the young woman tested negative for the virus, but a follow-up test was positive.

All five of her relatives developed Covid-19 pneumonia, but as of 11 February, the woman had still not developed any symptoms, her chest CT remained normal and she had no fever, stomach or respiratory symptoms, such as cough or sore throat.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Lmao

Ogantai
Apr 21, 2003

Full of bologna

https://mobile.twitter.com/bnodesk/status/1231349085900353537?s=21

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

oh no

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/bnodesk/status/1231351939633471488?s=21

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

D-Pad posted:

Yeah, I agree. It would have zero effect on anything if it was the second possibility I described other than potential embarassment to the Chinese government if it became common knowledge.

I just wanted to point it out, because when the subject comes up people need to distinguish what they mean by a lab escape because we only have evidence against scenario #1.

this kind of hair-splitting is unhelpful because the point of the "lab escape" story is to hold China as being especially culpable for the genesis of this disease, so going "well okay maybe they weren't weaponizing a virus but it still got out FROM a lab" is just playing into the narrative being pushed on a technicality

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747

fire up the welders

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Ok, but this post kind of responds to everything that nobody actually said. Also, it's splitting hairs -- the process certainly could be said to find locally optimal solutions (to the nebulous problem of how to exist in the next generation versus not). That's a moving target, but it doesn't defy definition altogether. If there was a trait that obviously made eye lens curvature less optimal than it is now, with no other important effects, that's going to do worse in the gene pool, so the current state of eye curvature in the gene pool could be described as approaching a local optimum.

Maybe I was just completely misreading the earlier post(s) that seemed to imply there exists some abstract will that makes virii want to be more virulent/etc, which is nonsensical?

Or maybe I should have thrown in some penis-enlargement-pills spam syntax/keywords to make it clear I'm intentionally taking reductio ad absurdum to the extreme for comedy?

Ogantai
Apr 21, 2003

Full of bologna

Update:

https://mobile.twitter.com/bnodesk/status/1231355647926685701?s=21

https://mobile.twitter.com/bnodesk/status/1231357647812730880?s=21

https://twitter.com/bnodesk/status/1231335651397849088?s=21

Amish
Nov 26, 2004

Murder is on the menu.
I flew back from Japan on Monday and got symptoms of the flu on Thursday. I went to the doctor on Friday and they tested me for strep (negative) and concluded that it was the flu. They said the key markers for even testing for Coronavirus right now are:

1) Do you have respiratory problems/symptoms?
2) Have you been to Wuhan?
3) Have you had close contact with a confirmed case?

So they gave me Tamiflu and sent me on my way

it's me i'm the super spreader

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
thats it im stockpiling cannoli before its too late

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Amish posted:

I flew back from Japan on Monday and got symptoms of the flu on Thursday. I went to the doctor on Friday and they tested me for strep (negative) and concluded that it was the flu. They said the key markers for even testing for Coronavirus right now are:

Can they not do a swab to test for flu? It takes like a minute to diagnose.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Also thank you for your service

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Amish posted:

Fuckin LOL that they are pretending this is still a thing.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

Can they not do a swab to test for flu? It takes like a minute to diagnose.

The NHS does a nose and throat swab for carona and it takes 5 (lol) days for the test to come back. It’s also unknown how accurate the tests even are.

rump buttman
Feb 14, 2018

I just wish I had time for one more bowl of chili

Amish posted:

best theory I've heard, is its transmitted by farts. toot carefully, goon

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

D-Pad posted:

Yeah, I agree. It would have zero effect on anything if it was the second possibility I described other than potential embarassment to the Chinese government if it became common knowledge.

I just wanted to point it out, because when the subject comes up people need to distinguish what they mean by a lab escape because we only have evidence against scenario #1.

So you seem to be saying that your theories are just inane ramblings of no consequence to anyone

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

MarcusSA posted:

Fuckin LOL that they are pretending this is still a thing.

I work in a hospital and the only thing that's happened is they put up a bunch of wuhan travel notices on all the entrances around the ER like three weeks ago. i don't think they even bothered with the main entrance lol

i get a slight internal chuckle every time i see them now after the korean/italian outbreaks

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

poty posted:

thats it im stockpiling cannoli before its too late

sir this is how much you order every saturday. do you mean too late because the store will be closed soon?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

stephenthinkpad posted:

This is why there is no way NYC is not infected. New York has more than half million Chinese, how many does this tiny Italian town have? Anyone think otherwise is an idiot.

i was in heathrow on wednesday. im currently nursing a sore throat in east harlem ftw.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Flying back from Japan via Korea. It's me I'm the super spreader.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

decent thread here, maybe not exactly news but it sounds like consensus is growing that the virus will not be contained

https://twitter.com/kakape/status/1231193492002611200?s=21

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
ops mom is a super spreader

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
lol when this comes out as a CIA CHAOS op to prevent the left from having president bernie sanders

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/bnodesk/status/1231370337566236672?s=21

Hi.

I just came back from Indonesia last week. My S/O was tested for the virus when she got back to London. It was negative but she still has the symptoms and I’m suspecting that it was a false negative.

They said it was a different type of corona virus.

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers
Lol when it turns out this is just an elaborate ARG for a netflix show due out at the end of the year

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

Hi.

I just came back from Indonesia last week. My S/O was tested for the virus when she got back to London. It was negative but she still has the symptoms and I’m suspecting that it was a false negative.

there can be only one true corona-chan. tell her not to accept substitutes

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

Bip Roberts posted:

ops mom is a super spreader

oh drat

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Amazing Zimmo posted:

Lol when it turns out this is just an elaborate ARG for a netflix show due out at the end of the year

The first Bungie TV show

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

Y'all starting to be a bunch of Prester Janes in this thread now.

Free Prester Jane.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

Amazing Zimmo posted:

new season of nathan for you

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

Backweb posted:

Free Prester Jane.

under current quarantine rules she'll only be freed if she tests positive for COVID-19

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

Backweb posted:

Free Prester Jane.

need to come up with our own arcane terminology instead of using the language of medicine and epidemiology

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Backweb posted:

Free Prester Jane.

Incorrect, I praise Xi

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

MarcusSA posted:

Hi.

Tell your girlfriend you guys are now on a mission to attend Trump rallies.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

stephenthinkpad posted:

Also she must visit bible belt mega-churches.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

stephenthinkpad posted:

etalian posted:

Also she must visit bible belt mega-churches.

Well she lives in London and is in no condition to fly but I’ll pass the message on lol.

I’ve been fighting off whatever she gave me on the last few days of the trip.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

MarcusSA posted:

Hi.

congrats on being goon patient 0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

MarcusSA posted:

Well she lives in London and is in no condition to fly but I’ll pass the message on lol.

I’ve been fighting off whatever she gave me on the last few days of the trip.

Maybe she dutch ovened you while you were sleeping.