Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
only having twelve mysteries is the biggest problem, and MOST of them only seem to have 1-2 routes

and the game is so dependent on the fantastic art that it's a bottleneck for more content production (never mind modding lol)

but like I said they're aiming for 20+ at release, or four full wins if you don't have any overlap, or at least eight runs to see two endings per mystery

so even if you only play that much that's fine

and i haven't unlocked either current extra deck yet

best art/moment so far was the Good End for the apartment eel mystery :getin:

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Feb 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Soulash hitting v0.4 with Modding support being pretty robust and some solid gains on top---forthcoming v0.5 apparently going more of the front loaded impactful route...which is always best.

https://wizardsofthecode.itch.io/soulash/devlog/126099/soulash-v04-mod-support

quote:

Added
- Ability and animation editors.
- Moddable races, professions, and tags in the JSON file.
- Moddable assets in the JSON file.
- Support for base abilities that can be added to all starting characters independently of the profession.
- Support for many ability effects like stun or corruption to work with area abilities.
- Cooldown support for abilities.
- Sliders to select inputs in editors.
- Music selection input for the map editor.
- 22 new abilities.
- 17 new region maps.
- 19 new enemy groups.
- 14 new enemies.
- 20 new items.
- 4 new minibosses.
- 3 new starting locations.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

only having twelve mysteries is the biggest problem, and MOST of them only seem to have 1-2 routes

and the game is so dependent on the fantastic art that it's a bottleneck for more content production (never mind modding lol)

but like I said they're aiming for 20+ at release, or four full wins if you don't have any overlap, or at least eight runs to see two endings per mystery

I've seen the occasional event that is definitely specific to an individual mystery AND to what Elder God you're going up against that game , which is pretty cool. Nice way to add variance even when repeating scenarios

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Katanakam is freaking fun, it has a dedicated kowtow button I'm using to pound deadly snakes into chorizo

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Does anyone have any experience with Mistover? It's an absolute Darkest Dungeon ripoff but made in Japan. The demo seemed kind of cool but apparently the endgame is or was at one point incredibly bad

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Didn't Yahtzee make a horror roguelike with randomized evil gods?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Does anyone have any experience with Mistover? It's an absolute Darkest Dungeon ripoff but made in Japan. The demo seemed kind of cool but apparently the endgame is or was at one point incredibly bad

I tried the demo on Switch several months back and it's horribly slow -- even on top of how slow Darkest Dungeon could be at times -- and I couldn't stand the underage anime girl aesthetic. These two issues were too much for me to get past and figure out the gameplay.

One of the things I really appreciate about most roguelikes is that I can play them exactly as slow or as fast as I want, and the ones that have artificially long animation delays (or similar) drive me batty. I'm here for pure gameplay and mechanics with a side of aesthetics, not to have my time wasted. Fast Mode in Slay the Spire is something that every single turn-based game should have baseline IMO. I couldn't get past the excessive animation delays in Dungeons of Dredmor, and a big reason I bounced off Stoneshard is the constant, incessant slow walking animations.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

After some more time with World of Horror I think one of the biggest issues is the difficulty, at least on normal nothing is really that much of a threat and the doom counter moves up so slowly that there's basically no actual "choice" to doing the side mission or not for a mystery. (Which those seem to have static rewards? Which sucks...Especially since some are just negatives and don't do anything so once you do it once you'd never do it again??)

Combat has a lot of options but they're mostly meaningless. Having an extremely low cost move that makes your next attack guaranteed to strike was an extremely bad decision. Have a big weapon with a low hit chance? Who cares, you can prep - > heavy attack once a turn and kill all the encounters in 2-3 rounds. I see that you can do the bow and clap prayer stuff mid combat but I have no idea when you'd want to do this. Absolutely zero reason to engage with the magic system either in my experience.

Maybe hard mode helps? I haven't tried it.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I've watched my friend play World of Horror for several hours now and the game definitely needs a fair bit of work on the mechanics and a heavy dose of additional randomization. The former is because as Ibram Gaunt says above, the combat system gives you a ton of options but the best option is pretty much always prep-heavy or dodge-prep-atk in all cases. The latter is because the way the mysteries are set up means that once you know how each one works there's a set correct path that you can take pretty much 100% of the time on almost all of them. As it is the game is really well set up as kind of a linear mystery RPG, but in terms of a roguelike game that you play for ages it's a hard sell. Even if they add more mysteries, if those mysteries work broadly like the current ones, they'll fall into the same trap.

That said, the aesthetics are absolutely loving fantastic and the atmosphere of the game is basically unrivaled.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Mistover is due to get, in theory, a fairly considerable re-work update somewhere down the line that they've been working on for some months now---their systems worked* in the most initial part of the game, but utterly fell apart shortly beyond the Demo reach and wound up hollowed out + paper thin to boot.

I want to believe they'll get there depending to what degree that take a clean slate to it, and I suppose it at least has a better chance than the remaining of the Etrian Mystery Dungeon game getting brought over from which it was inspired in large part.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

After some more time with World of Horror I think one of the biggest issues is the difficulty, at least on normal nothing is really that much of a threat and the doom counter moves up so slowly that there's basically no actual "choice" to doing the side mission or not for a mystery. (Which those seem to have static rewards? Which sucks...Especially since some are just negatives and don't do anything so once you do it once you'd never do it again??)

Combat has a lot of options but they're mostly meaningless. Having an extremely low cost move that makes your next attack guaranteed to strike was an extremely bad decision. Have a big weapon with a low hit chance? Who cares, you can prep - > heavy attack once a turn and kill all the encounters in 2-3 rounds. I see that you can do the bow and clap prayer stuff mid combat but I have no idea when you'd want to do this. Absolutely zero reason to engage with the magic system either in my experience.

Maybe hard mode helps? I haven't tried it.

Combat needs a overhaul in general. Taking out the move that guarantees the next hit would be a disaster seeing how low the hit percentages get on character not specced into perception. Stamina is pretty low and recovery is kinda rare so you can really tank that much damage.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

CRPG Addict plays Ragnarok

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

packetmantis posted:

Didn't Yahtzee make a horror roguelike with randomized evil gods?

He did. It's called The Consuming Shadow and it's pretty decent, particularly for a one man gig, but nothing mind-blowing.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
I noticed the parallels between World of Horror and Consuming Shadow immediately. CS is a really wonderful little game and I never understood why it didn't sell better.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Stark Fist posted:

I noticed the parallels between World of Horror and Consuming Shadow immediately. CS is a really wonderful little game and I never understood why it didn't sell better.

the early version that he released for free had a lot of problems and very little content, and anyone who played it and assumed it was indicative of the final version probably didn't want to pay for it

as it turns out, he actually listened to all of the various feedback about the problems with the first version, and the final version of the game was actually good, but as far as I know the demo version remained totally unchanged in its badness

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Yahtzee's comedy review style hasn't aged very well, but his games are actually fairly decent. Still think about the Chzo Mythos series from time to time.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Has anyone talked about or brought up Synthetic: Legion Rising? Because it is hands down my favorite top down shooter roguelike in a long time. And it involves robots! Super satisfying gameplay, a bunch of different classes to play with each a unique style. And you can modify the game's difficulty in fun ways and are encouraged to play high difficulty with rewards for each class???

Actually the most fun I've had in a while in a roguelike/lite.

edit: I checked and it was released in 2018? drat, I missed out for a while.

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Feb 24, 2020

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I wonder if this guy will stumble across one of the ways to get to other planes, i recall them being rather unclear.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Some time ago (years, probably) there was a discussion that grew out of that tank commander roguelike (cannot recall the name) about people wanting something similar for ships. I've wanted to do something like that for a while and it feels like that would be a fun thing to work on now. My skills are pretty thin, so I doubt it'll amount to anything for public release but I did have a few questions.

1) Does anyone recall the name of the tank game? I've been wracking my brain for a few days trying to remember it & it seems like that's a good place to start and think about what I want.
2) Does anyone have a solid source for WWI/WWII ships, their dimensions, crew size, etc? I'm sure I'll want more later, but just to help me get a good idea of the numbers I'd generally want to work with. Google helps, but it's not the best.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

If it's the one I'm thinking of, the name is Armoured Commander.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Jupiter Hell has a new patch: https://steamcommunity.com/games/811320/announcements/detail/1712994457241846267

quote:

Protocol
Once you successfully hack a bot or a drone, now you can bump into it to change it's main protocol - be it to wait, follow you or actively hunt for enemies. Additionally you can swap places with it or repair it using multitools! If your dream was an army of robotic followers, Protocol got you covered!

Voice
New voice lines from Mark Meer have been added to the game! We mostly focused on adding more variety to the lines that repeat themselves and add more weapon-specific quips. We also added some rare level entry quips that you may find if playing on the higher difficulties :)

Music
If you're a fan of Roland La Goy's JH soundtrack, you'll be happy to know that 4 new tracks have been added this release! The problematic part is that they're mostly placed on the later parts of the game, especially in Beyond, so hide your pride and lower the difficulty level for a few runs :P

Damage types
All "environmental" damage types have been buffed and most of them got a bit of an overhaul. Most of the status effects now do more damage. Smoke clears gas, gas clears smoke, and both clear fire. Fire now spreads! Fire and freeze cancel each other out. Bleed has a pain addition on tick against the player, and a flat accuracy debuff against enemies. EMP has been reworked so that even weaker EMP sources has slowing effect against the stronger EMP shielded enemies (looking at you CRI bots). Acid now damages armor a lot, but as long as you have armor, damage to health is significantly lower. Speaking of armor - it now degrades linearly, not in "jumps" as before.

Telegraphed attacks
Telegraphed attacks are now more obviously marked - this currently was just the charge attack. Now however being hit by a charge deals critical damage! The base melee damage of charging enemies has been reduced a bit to compensate. Additionally siege ravagers now telegraph their attack before shooting, but have been buffed a bit to compensate for that, and made less rare.

Exalted
If you ever met a RESILENT REGEN exalted you know that it's simply not fair - well, this will no longer happen :P. There's a bit of control what keywords can spawn together, additionally we added three new keywords to the pool - HUNTER, JUGGERNAUT and UNSTABLE. Especially the last one can turn out to be quite fun! Exalted spawn a bit more often, and can come in groups of 2 or 4, depending on difficulty, and spawn further from level entry points.

Balance pass
Late game has been rebalanced a bit, should provide more consistent ammo, and definitely there's more boxes to be found in Beyond. CRI plasma pistols now shoot using 1 cell at a cost of a small range nerf.

Angel of Hubris
While this might seem like a rehash of Angel of Confidence (you start on Io) to make things more fun you start with an exotic of your choice :).

Other stuff
We added a bit of visual flair - fade-in and fade-out animations on level transitions, different look of every class (especially armor-less) and made the game work better with widescreen monitors (no more UI scaling).

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Chakan posted:

2) Does anyone have a solid source for WWI/WWII ships, their dimensions, crew size, etc? I'm sure I'll want more later, but just to help me get a good idea of the numbers I'd generally want to work with. Google helps, but it's not the best.

Hello! I am making a (non-roguelike) game about WW2-era ships, and due to the fact that ships are really fuckin' expensive a lot of WW2 ships were also WW1 ships. Here's a few resources for you:

List of ship classes of WW2 on Wikipedia. Wikipedia also has general stats for stuff like armament, displacement, crew complement, length, beam (width) and draft (amount of the ship that extends underwater), etc.
Navweaps has a lot of info about individual weapons, so if you want to know stuff like the range of a particular gun or how quickly a particular turret could traverse, go there. Recommend just using Google to search e.g. "navweaps 5"/25 caliber".
Our own milhist thread goes on periodic naval binges, which shouldn't be too surprising. In particular, there's a couple of times I asked the thread for advice, once for technologies and once for ships. My own goal was to get a reasonable set of iconic ship classes for the US, UK, Japan, and Germany (the biggest naval powers of WW2, though certainly not the only naval powers), but since I have to 3D model them I couldn't let the list get too big. Depending on your plans you may be able to fit more ships in. If you just want my list let me know and I'll paste it in.

There's also the milhist discord.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
It was Armored Commander so thank you on that.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Hello! I am making a (non-roguelike) game about WW2-era ships, and due to the fact that ships are really fuckin' expensive a lot of WW2 ships were also WW1 ships. Here's a few resources for you:

List of ship classes of WW2 on Wikipedia. Wikipedia also has general stats for stuff like armament, displacement, crew complement, length, beam (width) and draft (amount of the ship that extends underwater), etc.
Navweaps has a lot of info about individual weapons, so if you want to know stuff like the range of a particular gun or how quickly a particular turret could traverse, go there. Recommend just using Google to search e.g. "navweaps 5"/25 caliber".
Our own milhist thread goes on periodic naval binges, which shouldn't be too surprising. In particular, there's a couple of times I asked the thread for advice, once for technologies and once for ships. My own goal was to get a reasonable set of iconic ship classes for the US, UK, Japan, and Germany (the biggest naval powers of WW2, though certainly not the only naval powers), but since I have to 3D model them I couldn't let the list get too big. Depending on your plans you may be able to fit more ships in. If you just want my list let me know and I'll paste it in.

There's also the milhist discord.

This is great! Thanks much & I'll spend some time with these.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Hell yeah, AC but boats sounds rad.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

There was a cool submarine commander roguelike in development, kind of like a Cold War FTL but with a million more dials and switches. Hasn’t been updated in a while. Don’t know if the download links are still good. Sub Commander

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Glimpse posted:

There was a cool submarine commander roguelike in development, kind of like a Cold War FTL but with a million more dials and switches. Hasn’t been updated in a while. Don’t know if the download links are still good. Sub Commander
I googled this thinking Cold War FTL was the name of a game and it brought up Bomber Crew, which is like a more hectic FTL but in WW2.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch

Glimpse posted:

The links still work. Thanks! I'll be checking this out sometime this week.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Gobbeldygook posted:

I googled this thinking Cold War FTL was the name of a game and it brought up Bomber Crew, which is like a more hectic FTL but in WW2.

I hope they iterate on this design because I think it has a lot of interesting ideas but just isn't that fun to play. I think a polished up version (maybe with different theming) could be pretty cool.

Orthogonalus
Feb 26, 2008
Right angles ONLY

Gobbeldygook posted:

I like Bomber Crew a lot, especially once I got over the urge to savescum and started treating it more like a roguelike, ie by having one named character be "me", and ending the run if that character ever dies.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Having a lot of fun wiht TOME but goddamn you gotta stay focused for a long time if you want that win.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Buller posted:

Having a lot of fun wiht TOME but goddamn you gotta stay focused for a long time if you want that win.
Yeah that's the real challenge to TOME. You have to clear through seemingly endless piles of trash and mixed in there are random mobs that will tear you a new rear end in a top hat if you don't approach it correctly.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Gobbeldygook posted:

Yeah that's the real challenge to TOME. You have to clear through seemingly endless piles of trash and mixed in there are random mobs that will tear you a new rear end in a top hat if you don't approach it correctly.

It's not tome if it doesn't instagib you in one turn and even after looking at the combat log for 20 minutes, you still can't figure out what happened.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I really like ToME's characters classes and it's very fun to use them but everything else is pretty loving bad.
It feels like the primary skill the game expects from you is endurance. Relax for a moment, mowing down all the trash and you'll get one shot by some elite rat.

Basically what I'm saying is that I'd play a lot more ToME if they had a non-poo poo gamemode.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
It does, it's called Insane difficulty.

Plus the Orc Campaign if you want it to be shorter and not just "ToME, but the rat is always elite."

In addition to the more consistent level of difficulty and faster XP curve, it also means you get much bigger, more impactful egos on gear like people are always asking for.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It does, it's called Insane difficulty.

Plus the Orc Campaign if you want it to be shorter and not just "ToME, but the rat is always elite."

In addition to the more consistent level of difficulty and faster XP curve, it also means you get much bigger, more impactful egos on gear like people are always asking for.

I guess I should try that.

EDIT: I can't stop laughing at "ToME but the rat is always elite"

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

is it worth playing Jupiter hell over doomrl yet other than to support development/out of curiosity

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Making a couple of the numbers +30% instead of +3% doesn't really address that it's still a giant pile of indistinct numbers.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

is it worth playing Jupiter hell over doomrl yet other than to support development/out of curiosity

I'd say about as much reason to play almost any roguelike instead of DoomRl

'Yes, DoomRl is better, but there's something new to see in _______.'

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

SKULL.GIF posted:

Making a couple of the numbers +30% instead of +3% doesn't really address that it's still a giant pile of indistinct numbers.

I'm sympathetic to the idea that small bonuses are so meaningless that figuring them out isn't worth it, but this just sounds like refusing to put in the time to understand the system when it DOES become important. v:shobon:v

e: ToME could definitely tutorialize better, but at the end of the day the gear game is an interesting and non-trivial skill that makes you better at the game. it's engaging and rewards you for understanding a complex system, and while the early game is pretty cookie-cutter no matter what you're playing, lategame often does actually involve some interesting choices that vary from class to class.

nevermind what you can do with oddball builds or adventurer hybrids if you aren't going for 100% optimal play on a "legitimate" class

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Feb 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I also kinda wish that they'd cut down the amount of useless bonus stats on most items so that I didn't have to spend so much effort parsing a list of meaningless "+3% damage to green enemies on a sunday" stats to see if they have anything worthwhile or not.