Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Nintendo character would you like to see in the next Soul Calibur game?
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 99 8.48%
Other 53 4.54%
jenna got milked 1015 86.98%
Total: 1167 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i wouldve rolled the shrines up with t he beasts into full dungeons and cut 50% of the map off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i did it

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Stux posted:

i did it

mewar may never change but meproud of you change now to even more :3:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Is anyone who's not running Adblock (I know I should do this) getting banner ads at the bottom or did I get code injected

(As in big ones that you have to close out to see the bottom of the screen not the paid ones that are usually at the bottom of the page)

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Is anyone who's not running Adblock (I know I should do this) getting banner ads at the bottom or did I get code injected

(As in big ones that you have to close out to see the bottom of the screen not the paid ones that are usually at the bottom of the page)

I got those and re-engaged uBlock Origin. Seemed like legit ads served in a way that I won't tolerate.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
Like hey, I don't mind supporting forums by consuming ads, but that was an immediate no-go.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

i turned off my adblocker and yeah i got one. i have the no-ads account upgrade too lol. guess those lawyers are getting expensive

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Rockstar making your first quest giver a complete oval office in both PSP games was a bold choice.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/DeddoRain/status/1228420262145744898

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

environmental station alpha IS good and then the same dev made Baba is You. turns out that dude just makes very good games

a couple of other good metroidvanias, most of them more linear than not:

yoku's island express - pinball metroidvania
odallus: the dark call - castlevania inspired one by joymasher (oniken, blazing chrome)
ghost 1.0 - surprisingly solid game from the makers of the very bad UnEpic. there's also Mini-Ghost which is a bite-sized metroidvania styled like a C64 game, and it comes with a game/sprite editor to make your own Babbys First Metroidvania
momodora: reverie under the moon - its the one most people know because of the big titty jiggle boss. you can become a cat in this one and it does the estus flask/bonfire thing
super panda adventures: this one is real old and looks ugly so maybe it has aged poorly. this one is like if 90's Apogee made a metroidvania
a robot named fight: randomly-generated metroidvania heavily leaning on super metroid map design, abilities and.. well the art felt flat out traced when it was first in early access
rex rocket: i might be the only one who likes this one but it's kind of like a mega man metroidvania (just without the weapon-stealing). that does mean lots of spikes near the end

games that are tagged metroidvania on steam but aren't metroidvanias, but they're still good:

full bore - open world non-linear box puzzler where you are a boar, it's extremely good if you like box pushing/dropping puzzles
wuppo - somewhat non-linear exploration game with cute art and Paper Mario-esque writing, has a working theme park you can just chill at
knytt underground - very non-linear exploration game from Nifflas (Knytt Stories, Uurnog). very atmospheric and chill

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

put gongon in animal crossing

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Almost forgot, if you like metroidvania stuff please play Within a Deep Forest. It's ace and also has some extremely chill music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cgoj9E0kwDo

edit: same developer as Knytt Underground, mentioned above, which is also extremely cool and good

Convex fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Feb 22, 2020

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Convex posted:

Almost forgot, if you like metroidvania stuff please play Within a Deep Forest. It's ace and also has some extremely chill music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cgoj9E0kwDo

edit: same developer as Knytt Underground, mentioned above, which is also extremely cool and good

Golly this game is good. I haven't thought about this in many years.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
is Tokyo Xanadu worth 12$ bucks, inform me RPG lords

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

yes

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Relax Or DIE posted:

is Tokyo Xanadu worth 12$ bucks, inform me RPG lords

sure!

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

unfortunely I haven't reached RPG lord yet so I can only tell you that persona 3 is good

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/waxpancake/status/1231311558115880960

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
some of the licensing surrounding that lo-fi/vaporwave stuff is weird. like here, where youtube treats the source as if it was sampling the derivative work (which basically just adds a beat)

lo-fi:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuq0VoS4PnI

original:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko4_hmRy03g

which has this below its description

which, if i'm not mistaken, would mean saib gets ad revenue off people listening to the original

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Feb 22, 2020

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

SeXReX posted:

Feels like ffxv could have used item durability

Game just hands you a 2H that does 4x the damage of everything else at that point in the game and it's never going to break???

I wouldn't go into FFXV expecting any balance.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Toki Tori 2 is one of the most inventive metroidvania that does it’s own thing and doesn’t get enough credit

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Got the spring cut, but it's still a little too cold out

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Stux posted:

agreedm fusion slaps. however, its a freaking straight line and not very condusive to "non linear play".

Stux posted:

you cant play it differently because some guy keeps mansplaining to samus where she should go, and in this way it is a precursor to other m. namaste.

Back in the day I tried to learn rom hacking so I could make a version of fusion where the computer just gives neutral information and isn't your boss, and the game doesnt constantly lock off sections to force you to go to your objective. But it turns out rom hacking is really hard.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Lurdiak posted:

Back in the day I tried to learn rom hacking so I could make a version of fusion where the computer just gives neutral information and isn't your boss, and the game doesnt constantly lock off sections to force you to go to your objective. But it turns out rom hacking is really hard.

Fusion’s progression is based entirely on one variable that gets incremented every time you progress. Going out of order is almost impossible, and you would have to rewrite way too much code.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
"Union is just another word for mafia" - Dan Houser

:bigthink:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Dan Houser also said that he thinks players shouldn't know how games are made because it should feel magical like they came from elves lol

Expropriate his rear end

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
Last night everything worked fine and today I looked up some things and found out it's a common issue that the game keeps jumping between m+kb and controller prompts and the frame rate tanks. I thought it was lucky that it didn't happen to me and then I loaded it up today to find it happening. Don't worry tho I can't install the fix on the gamepass version

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Double Punctuation posted:

Fusion’s progression is based entirely on one variable that gets incremented every time you progress. Going out of order is almost impossible, and you would have to rewrite way too much code.

That's one of the many problems I ran into.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Dan Houser also said that he thinks players shouldn't know how games are made because it should feel magical like they came from elves lol

Expropriate his rear end

I kind of agree with this. Art is an illusion and knowing the secret spoils the fun. But some people reach a deeper level where they’re smart enough to look for the tricks then you’re having fun breaking down the magic.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

al-azad posted:

I kind of agree with this. Art is an illusion and knowing the secret spoils the fun.

That's pretty meager compared to the issue we currently have where gamers seem to think games manifest fully formed from the ether and don't value the work of game devs.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

al-azad posted:

I kind of agree with this. Art is an illusion and knowing the secret spoils the fun. But some people reach a deeper level where they’re smart enough to look for the tricks then you’re having fun breaking down the magic.

Dan Houser prefers you not know that people make games so his ("former" but lol w/e) company can continue to exploit and abuse them

Barudak
May 7, 2007

There is one time youre allowed to do something the game doesnt want you to in Metroid Fusion requires an insane chaining of the spark dash across like a dozen rooms and your reward is the game telling you you arent supposed to be here, now beat cheeks and go back to where I said to be

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Nonsense

At least one person has to tick the checkbox to add networked multiplayer

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I like Metroid Fusion a lot, as well as other Metroid games.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Fusion does a great job of atmosphere. Nothing matches it's little horrors like every time you see an eye door and know it could get bad coin flips literally forever and not let you pass.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Looking at everything going on in Nevada today and I can only come to the conclusion that New Vegas was a documentary of how things work in that state politically and not just fiction.

Caravan is real.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

No

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Have something good instead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYDB6skUqYw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU