Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

That's definitely a task that machine learning can be valuable for, since you're starting from exemplars and then trying to find things that are of similar shape either way and the computer is just accelerating the initial screening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Does the Blue Apron stuff actually taste good? I heard that most people cook it, take photos of their meal for social media, eat a few bites, then have a large "snack" later.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
It tastes fine, but what bugged me the most about it is most recipes needed a million pots and pans and left an entire dishwasher load at the end for something simple.

And despite portioning everything for you they will just leave things out and assume you have it in your pantry.

I can't cancel without contacting them (of course) so when I forget to skip a box I end up just using the ingredients to make something else.

less than three fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Feb 22, 2020

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

meal kits in general seem to be kind of niche, overpriced- my local supermarket has started carrying Kroger-brand kits for $15-20, and TONS of them wind up at the food pantry, where even there they're kinda 'overpriced' (2-4 points vs half or 1 point for individual ingredients) and only really worth it if raw ingredients are scarce, which is kind of rare unless you just get there at a bad time

got a salmon risotto one once- it was tasty but I couldn't help but see the price tag on it and think that if I were in the store, I'd prefer getting fresher salmon cheaper

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

OctaMurk posted:

Local meal prep companies are actually pretty good imo. I can get a week of cooked, quality meals for lunch and dinner for 60 to 75 $. But I have to stop by them and pick it up, I dont see how it could possibly scale into a national business because the shipping costs would either eat all your margins, or make the price too high for customers to accept. Plus the logistics of shipping ready-to-eat or almost ready-to-eat food seems quite complicated.

Do you mean something like the local grocery store doing it? Because there are ones near me that do that, which is great because I get home late enough I don't want to think, just want something that is better than a frozen dinner I can throw into a pan.

Then again it's more like preordering a grocery list ahead of time with a recipe card, not like a store branded box

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Konstantin posted:

Does the Blue Apron stuff actually taste good?

yeah, if you can cook decently. most people can, but the majority of folks who don't cook just never learned how. it's actually easy to cook decently, you may not be any more than barely adequate but cooking is one of those skills that really every capable adult should have. many men in western society have a gendered learned helplessness around cooking and that is terrible. plus also even barely adequate cooks can stand to learn a thing or two

so blue apron is mostly like looking up a recipe online, except they also send you the necessary ingredients as well as a laminated recipe card with exact instructions on how to make the dish. you have to be real bad at cooking to gently caress it up. on the other hand, if you can bash together a recipe and get some confidence in the kitchen, then you eventually realize "ah, all the things i want to make the dish are available cheaper at the nearest grocery store". i can't imagine the kind of person who would consistently subscribe to the service - i know these people must exist from some rare combination of niche requirements, i just don't know what that combination is

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
I haven't used Blue Apron but other similar services over here in Holland and what I like about them most is that it avoids having to decide what to eat. Normally I'd either have to spend a few hours upfront deciding on recipes and then buying the groceries (or ordering them online), and now that part is done for me. I don't mind the actual cooking.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Why I tried them is because if you try to make some random recipe online, you spend like $40 buying all the extras if you don't have a fully stocked spice cupboard etc to make one meal. To be fair one of the local companies took feedback to heart and started shipping less wasteful/complex things so I might try them again.

Some site that would tell me what to make for dinner and I could just pick up the ingredients on the way home would be ideal.

edit: not gonna delete my stupid post I just reinvented the cookbook

less than three fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Feb 22, 2020

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Not sure buying TV dinners online is really "meal prep", but okay.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Lambert posted:

Not sure buying TV dinners online is really "meal prep", but okay.

Ikea TV dinners.

Because you assemble the final product yourself. :rimshot:

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
We got folks in here talking about buying meals to freeze like this saves me time and money that’s literally just frozen food like you can get a big rear end bag of frozen fried rice from Trader Joe’s for like 4 bucks

Or like any other frozen meal you want just walk down the frozen food aisle of your local grocery store and pick out 8-10 for 50 bucks

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

human garbage bag posted:

Nice, more excuses for pharma companies to price gouge.

there is insufficient work on new antibiotics so this is actually extremely good

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I pay abouy a buck a meal for my vegan lunches. I meal prep ek put in stew form or greek pita form. Good shi

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

I'm that mythical blue apron customer who's been a customer on and off for years. I'm probably switching to one of those recipe only services.

I think ultimately because what they're good at, which is actually being a home cooking course, is self cannibalizing. After you've done it 6 months to a year your best customers are going to quit because they've learned what they're going to learn from that level of study.

Which I think is actually a pretty good aspirational purpose, one they advocate but ultimately missing what would could make them exist in the long term, which is lean into food education and cooking lessons.

Going public was probably the worst idea possible for a company that does best acting like a school, where no one expects customers to stay forever.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Ok ok, Robert Miles is good.

Here's a good one rebutting an article by Steven Pinker downplaying the dangers of AI. The points Rob makes to rebut him are very informative.

https://youtu.be/yQE9KAbFhNY

E: more informative summary

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Feb 23, 2020

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

RuanGacho posted:

Going public was probably the worst idea possible for a company that does best acting like a school, where no one expects customers to stay forever.

Going public wasn't the problem. It was a symptom of taking VC money for a self-cannibalizing business model.

They were doomed from the jump. You can't make 10X returns off of teaching people to cook. The IPO was to save the investors.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

luxury handset posted:

it's a loving lot, because pretty much everything is shrink wrapped or packaged individually (a single peeled clove of garlic!) and each kit comes with these big freeze packs that are a big pain in the dick to recycle, if you can find a place

It does really bother me the amount of packaging that is involved, especially now that I live somewhere that plastic film isn't as easily recycled, but I haven't seen a single peeled clove of garlic in a really long time, if ever. IME any recipe that requires garlic (most of the ones we get) just come with a whole head. Which has the bonus that despite always at least doubling garlic quantities in nearly any recipe we cook, blue apron or otherwise, we always have enough extra from blue apron that we never have to buy any separately.

less than three posted:

It tastes fine, but what bugged me the most about it is most recipes needed a million pots and pans and left an entire dishwasher load at the end for something simple.

And despite portioning everything for you they will just leave things out and assume you have it in your pantry.

I can't cancel without contacting them (of course) so when I forget to skip a box I end up just using the ingredients to make something else.

The instructions are really really loving stupid in how they suggest you use pots and pans and bowls. The actual meals themselves don't need a million pots and pans, the directions they provide do, if you follow them to the letter. I just skim over them, get the idea of the actual cooking to be done, and ignore what they tell me to do with cookware. I don't know that I've ever seen them leave any ingredients out expecting that I'd have them myself, except for extremely basic poo poo like salt, pepper, and olive oil.

Sagacity posted:

I haven't used Blue Apron but other similar services over here in Holland and what I like about them most is that it avoids having to decide what to eat. Normally I'd either have to spend a few hours upfront deciding on recipes and then buying the groceries (or ordering them online), and now that part is done for me. I don't mind the actual cooking.

This was the number two reason we use blue apron. The original reason was having kids: I didn't mind cooking for the family, but was too exhausted to be hosed to do meal planning and going out to the store. The reason we mostly continued is that we really like variety in our meals and are also terrible at decisions and dreaming up interesting meal plans aside from one or two more elaborate meals a week; it fills a nice gap between "alright let's make some beef wellington" type poo poo and the really lazy takeout / frozen pizza nights.

RuanGacho posted:

I'm that mythical blue apron customer who's been a customer on and off for years. I'm probably switching to one of those recipe only services.

The #1 thing I like blue apron for is just being given some options of meals to have for the week, selecting the ones I want, without having to piece together mains and sides and all that poo poo. I don't mind the grocery shopping, it's literally just deciding what to eat without ending up in a rut cooking the same poo poo every week most days. A recipe only service sounds fantastic, but I haven't seen any that looked promising (though I haven't looked for a while), I figured because there's less perceived value there and maybe companies figure people will just re-share them online or something? Can you share what recipe only services you're thinking of?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
A subscription service would appeal to me if it sent me ingredients and recipes I wouldn’t have sought out on my own, something weird.

This would be more of a “meal of the week” club than a meal prep service, I suppose.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Is there really no recipe app or website out there with a “random” button?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

You just cant make money on this poo poo. The margins are stupidly low. Its doubtful they ever made money.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Platystemon posted:

A subscription service would appeal to me if it sent me ingredients and recipes I wouldn’t have sought out on my own, something weird.

This would be more of a “meal of the week” club than a meal prep service, I suppose.

"Here's some turmeric, five spice, and some ginger. We're making curries this month !"

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

You just cant make money on this poo poo. The margins are stupidly low. Its doubtful they ever made money.

Yeah. Peapod just folded their online only delivery because the margins were too low to support having the entire ecosystem of food handling. As soon as instacart came in and said “lol randos are picking up your food at Kroger right now” they were doomed. Without having a brick and mortar behind your service to augment the extra steps in the process, online-only grocery places are truly hosed.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

My Blue Apron story is we used it for about six weeks after our second kid was born, it seemed like worth trying because I had a friend who worked there at the time.

The first two deliveries, I cut the cold packs open and put them down the drain with lots of water, thinking they were just slushy ice. Then my friend basically told me I was an idiot because they have the same polyacrylate base as the absorbent material in diapers, and I should pray to every god in the book that I didn't wreck my plumbing.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

kitten smoothie posted:

My Blue Apron story is we used it for about six weeks after our second kid was born, it seemed like worth trying because I had a friend who worked there at the time.

The first two deliveries, I cut the cold packs open and put them down the drain with lots of water, thinking they were just slushy ice. Then my friend basically told me I was an idiot because they have the same polyacrylate base as the absorbent material in diapers, and I should pray to every god in the book that I didn't wreck my plumbing.

I only did one ice pack. "Empty then put into recycling" was vague as hell so I assumed it was a liquid too. I dumped a bunch of gel into the sink and I had never felt more :negative:

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Steve French posted:

The #1 thing I like blue apron for is just being given some options of meals to have for the week, selecting the ones I want, without having to piece together mains and sides and all that poo poo. I don't mind the grocery shopping, it's literally just deciding what to eat without ending up in a rut cooking the same poo poo every week most days. A recipe only service sounds fantastic, but I haven't seen any that looked promising (though I haven't looked for a while), I figured because there's less perceived value there and maybe companies figure people will just re-share them online or something? Can you share what recipe only services you're thinking of?

My cousin is using https://www.cooksmarts.com/

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
That looks pretty okay for only $72/year

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

My problem with stuff like this and recipes in general is that they apparently assume everyone has access to weird ingredients all over the world. Does this allow you to filter out specific ingredients? For example I see a lot of recipes with "spaghetti squash" and I only recently found that in my grocery store for a hot second then went away. Same with pretty much every cut of beef in an American recipe (every single country cuts their meat differently. Who knew?)

In these circumstances do people simple replace it with something vaguely close? I am a stickler for detail so that just feels wrong to me.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Feb 23, 2020

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
It's amazing how just two decades ago, Meals on Wheels was a charity service for old people with limited-to-no mobility, and now it's the hottest thing for lazy people who complain even about how much they have to load into the dishwasher when they're finished cooking preparing heating their food.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Weatherman posted:

It's amazing how just two decades ago, Meals on Wheels was a charity service for old people with limited-to-no mobility, and now it's the hottest thing for lazy people who complain even about how much they have to load into the dishwasher when they're finished cooking preparing heating their food.

An acquaintance of mine recently made an internet post asking for meal kit service recommendations. But she explicitly said she despises cooking and every service she’s tried, it involves the stove somehow. She wanted something she could microwave. Oh, and it had to be vegetarian.

So anyway if you want to start a business that ships out frozen TV dinners at $12-15 per, I’ve done the market research for you and you’ve got at least one customer. If you print this post out it doubles as a coupon good for a few million bucks of seed funding anywhere on Sand Hill Road.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

AceOfFlames posted:

My problem with stuff like this and recipes in general is that they apparently assume everyone has access to weird ingredients all over the world. Does this allow you to filter out specific ingredients? For example I see a lot of recipes with "spaghetti squash" and I only recently found that in my grocery store for a hot second then went away. Same with pretty much every cut of beef in an American recipe (every single country cuts their meat differently. Who knew?)

In these circumstances do people simple replace it with something vaguely close? I am a stickler for detail so that just feels wrong to me.

I don't think you're going to find a replacement for spaghetti squash, but meat is pretty easy to replace with other meat that's closer than vaguely close.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

withak posted:

Is there really no recipe app or website out there with a “random” button?

http://www.whatthefuckshouldimakefordinner.com/

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

AceOfFlames posted:

It's the weird cheeses that always get me. Like, yeah, I'll buy $15 of cheese and use a small bit for this one thing.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

luxury handset posted:

it's actually easy to cook decently, you may not be any more than barely adequate but cooking is one of those skills that really every capable adult should have.

Literally me_irl: https://www.smbc-comics.com/comic/cooking

I don't cook "fancy" very often due to time and depression, but most base recipes are ridiculously simple and there are relatively few ways to really screw up.

If someone manages to screw up an Eintopf I hope they donate themselves to science, because drat.

If services like Blue Apron lead these people to water I think that's cool, but my impression is that many people who don't cook are intimidated by the complexity and variety of ingredients that would be hard to source locally. So once the service is gone they'd have nowhere to go because you typically have to cook "bottom-up", i.e. look at what's available and find a fitting recipe instead of getting a recipe and acquiring everything it lists.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

AceOfFlames posted:

I grew up as a recipe cook (tweak the recipe, but follow it) and I married an improvisatory cook who reads recipes for fun, steals techniques, and then cooks whatever we have in the refrigerator he feels like cooking. The food is always awesome. Recipes aren't commands; they're suggestions.

It turns out that cuts of beef vary from state to state, too. California has this beef cut called a "tri-tip" which is a muscle in the bottom sirloin. It's beloved for slow grilling. I haven't seen it elsewhere in the US; I'm guessing it's just sold as "sirloin" elsewhere.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Steve French posted:

I have no idea if it's any good, but I think these guys give you a shopping list for the week and then use all of the poo poo they had you buy across the week's recipes. Seems like a clever way to offer most of the value of Blue Apron without the massive overhead of sending people individually packaged ingredients.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

What surprises me is that none of the online grocery stores have intergrated recipe cards and "order everything for this meal" buttons on their baskets. It's even got a solution to the "recipe demands small amounts of stuff you don't have" thing in which they get separated out but you can order them if needed. Every supermarket in the UK has online shopping but none have really intergrated it.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Honestly Blue apron would be impossible for me if I didn't live on the west coast and had access to asian grocery stores, half my favorites from them over the years wouldn't be possible if things like gochujang and odd cheeses weren't in vogue at supermarkets.

Food is ultimately really regional and it should be, I don't think we can or should try to tech our way around it.
Won't stop people from trying but it's amazing to go watch old cooking shows on like the food twitch channels and see how logistics and technology has a huge impact on cooking.

Nothingtoseehere posted:

What surprises me is that none of the online grocery stores have intergrated recipe cards and "order everything for this meal" buttons on their baskets. It's even got a solution to the "recipe demands small amounts of stuff you don't have" thing in which they get separated out but you can order them if needed. Every supermarket in the UK has online shopping but none have really intergrated it.

I think this is because of what I'm hypothesizing, the tech has far wider reach than the logistics can support.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It turns out that cuts of beef vary from state to state, too. California has this beef cut called a "tri-tip" which is a muscle in the bottom sirloin. It's beloved for slow grilling. I haven't seen it elsewhere in the US; I'm guessing it's just sold as "sirloin" elsewhere.

Also, "flap meat". What the Hell is flap meat.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
it comes from the Flaps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Mister Facetious posted:

Also, "flap meat". What the Hell is flap meat.

Sirloin tips. Unless you're in a market where people actually cook with that it will be turned into ground.