Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Clanpot Shake posted:

I haven't played this game in like a year or two but started seeing the "ruler challenges" updates on steam. Looks like it's a thing to unlock cosmetics in CK3? Have their been strategy writeups for any of them? I tried the Welsh one but forgot how to turn a tributary into a vassal and he got gobbled up by England.

I tried replaying it and got stupid lucky in the crusade for Egypt, taking home 4k gold and 3k prestige and then a year after getting home and spending it all on upgrades coming down with syphilis which rendered me incapable.

Should of spent that money on mercs and claimed England.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Squinky v2.0 posted:

A question about merchant republics

Playing as Venice, leader is currently in his 70s.

Decades ago I named my son heir and married him to some random French courtier - he’s quick and ambitious, she’s a shrewd genius, both have intrigue scores above 20. He’ll make a great doge some day.

Then I mostly forgot about him. He moved to France and apparently he and his wife were very busy assassinating people because she is now the queen of France and my son holds the title king (and heir to Venice), though the lands and title are hers. They have one son who looks to be every bit as conniving as them, heir to the kingdom

My question is, is there any way to massage this to merge the two kingdoms or pull off a piece of France? Having landed titles and being the designated heir seem to be incompatible, but is there any kind of situation I can engineer before my current old ruler kicks the bucket?

Unfortunately the Lombards and byzantines have me totally boxed in on my island paradise at the moment. This seems like an opportunity to get a foothold somewhere else but I don’t know how.

Luxury handset is right. Your best bet is fighting for claims since inheritance out of a feudal realm and into a MR one is not possible. Pressing the claims of a doge whose grandparent was king of Italy or Germany is exactly how I formed the HRE as Venice in my seven centuries run. So you should try to get that grandkid back in your court so you can name him successor. Don’t press it for him before he’s doge; you gotta wait till he’s already doge.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If you wait for them to pop out another kid, you'll conveniently end up with one dynast on the throne, and another one who inherited nothing but claims that can be put to use once he becomes doge.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Tried that secret Jewish Bagdad Chief killing Mongols challenge.

Naturally my guy has died in 3 years of leprosy only getting a bronze reward. I've invited low diplomacy Muslims and organized plots against them but it became much harder and slower once I became known murderer and leper. Other missions - have openly Jewish council while not being openly Jewish and have a lot of happy vassals of a different religion - seem achievable but a little irritating. Certainly better than that Welsh challenge with settling down your dynasty culture people - those are hard to find in that English melting pot, you know.

I'm currently on my way to Cone Shaped Hennin (stereotypical princess hat) and I think I already got the best accessories already anyway, so I'd better try starts that actually look fun. And that secret Jewish Bagdad Chief actually looks very interesting - you're part of a huge empire that is a vassal to Chinese Emperor, sorta, the empire is a melting pot of Tengri, Buddhists, and Muslims, your Bagdad capital is rich and cool. I think that's exactly the start that would work great with challenges like that Angelos of Byzantium got - 2 of 3 challenges were just play for a while and be successful, and 1 was to have a lot of children for your first character.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The secret to stabbing lots of people in your own court is to take Seducer and then also invite a bunch of high-intrigue people who want what's in your pants to help you with the stabbing.

If you don't care about continuing the game afterwards you can also just tyranically arrest and execute a bunch of people once you have the required number in your court.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Jabor posted:

The secret to stabbing lots of people in your own court is to take Seducer and then also invite a bunch of high-intrigue people who want what's in your pants to help you with the stabbing.

Yeah, it worked well in other starts. But that guy starts rather old so seducing options are limited and you don't have that much time to create a net of loyal mistresses. And with low diplomacy invited Muslims you can still get up 400% plot power. Even as a murderous leper I had ~140%.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
I am slowly working my way to forming Rome and I just realized that the Shia revolt only managed to conquer Baghdad, not the entire Abbasid Empire, I should holy war them, right?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

ilitarist posted:

Tried that secret Jewish Bagdad Chief killing Mongols challenge.

Naturally my guy has died in 3 years of leprosy only getting a bronze reward. I've invited low diplomacy Muslims and organized plots against them but it became much harder and slower once I became known murderer and leper. Other missions - have openly Jewish council while not being openly Jewish and have a lot of happy vassals of a different religion - seem achievable but a little irritating. Certainly better than that Welsh challenge with settling down your dynasty culture people - those are hard to find in that English melting pot, you know.

I'm currently on my way to Cone Shaped Hennin (stereotypical princess hat) and I think I already got the best accessories already anyway, so I'd better try starts that actually look fun. And that secret Jewish Bagdad Chief actually looks very interesting - you're part of a huge empire that is a vassal to Chinese Emperor, sorta, the empire is a melting pot of Tengri, Buddhists, and Muslims, your Bagdad capital is rich and cool. I think that's exactly the start that would work great with challenges like that Angelos of Byzantium got - 2 of 3 challenges were just play for a while and be successful, and 1 was to have a lot of children for your first character.

Agreed on all counts, in fact I’m also like 5 points away from the cone hat. My Saad Mordechai run is actually still going. He’s about 60 now and because I misunderstood the first challenge I started a Jewish secret society. Managed to convert a lot of my vassals and three provinces before coming out. Kinda sucked when the number didn’t go up because now I was openly Jewish too, but my two sons are still Sunni. So if it’s a dynastic achievement as opposed to a first ruler one I might still be able to swing it.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Slowly getting better, which means new questions!!

1) If I build buildings and gain technological innovations, are these then permanent even though I change characters? I assume buildings just remain in the province they were built forever, but what about tech increases?

2) How do I control the papacy? It's talked about a lot, but is it possible to follow a more concrete strategy to have a loyal pope, or even be the pope?

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Tias posted:

1) If I build buildings and gain technological innovations, are these then permanent even though I change characters? I assume buildings just remain in the province they were built forever, but what about tech increases?

Tech upgrades happen in specific provinces, as in your capital. So they remain in your province too. You may notice that tech points are for your dynasty. So if you're going to expand fast and, say, become an Emperor of Byzantium you should store those points.

Also not all buildings last forever. Culture buildings in castles (usually the last building in the list) "deactivate" if the owner no longer belongs to that culture. They'll be back when the owner is of the right culture again. Not that big of a deal.

Tias posted:

2) How do I control the papacy? It's talked about a lot, but is it possible to follow a more concrete strategy to have a loyal pope, or even be the pope?

On religion screen, there's a college of cardinals button. You may nominate your cardinal and throw money at the conclave. But I didn't use it much. You can send your chancellor to improve relations with rulers and holy man to improve religious relations, you can personally sway pope, you can get high piety or join a religious society. It's not hard to be liked by the pope. Even if he doesn't like you that much his diplomatic actions (like asking for a claim on someone's land) take into account your piety and traits.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Tias posted:

Slowly getting better, which means new questions!!

buildings can be destroyed, but they are mostly permanent. rarely disasters can kill them, or raids, or other raid events. functionally they are permanent, with exceptions

tech is permanent per province. remember that tech radiates outward from your capital and slowly spreads across the landscape. mostly just ignore technology, if you have a sufficient level to unlock some law or bonus or whatever in your capital that's good enough and you very rarely have to care about the tech level anywhere else in your realm. if you move capitals you can 'lose' tech though, if the province you move your capital to has lovely tech levels

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Am currently doing the Aquatine Monarch's Journey.

Becoming emperor of Francia was really easy. Inherited French from Dad after he got himself killed invading Burgundy, won that war. Conqured Italy from some 4 year old relative of mine bing bang boom all done within 10 years mostly through blind luck.

Getting people to like me has been a lot harder and thus far I haven't killed a single pagan, I can't even seem to holy war them. Though one of them is planning to invade me in a year so I'll be flooded with the bastards soon enough.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

also getting people to like me is by far the hardest part.

Most of them are like "Italian" or "French" or something wacky like that and don't appreciate me being a foreign usurper.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Tias posted:

The 'easiest' way is to set up an Antipope and then push his claim to the Papacy.

T. Bombastus
Feb 18, 2013
For the "Long Live the Queen" challenge in Sultana Arwa's journey, do you have to take over all of Yemen with Arwa? It's not counting up the years ruled for me, and that's the only reason I can think of.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

If I'm playing as Rurik, does it make much of a difference what religion I eventually end up? Should I be aiming for one in particular?

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

PittTheElder posted:

If I'm playing as Rurik, does it make much of a difference what religion I eventually end up? Should I be aiming for one in particular?

Well, Rurik starts as Germanic but his heir and his one vassal are Slavic, and all the surrounding neighbors that you would be subjugating are either Slavic or Suomenusko. Germanic is doubtlessly the most powerful, although Slavic would be the path of least resistance. If you intend to stay pagan long term then I would personally try to get a Germanic heir and stay Germanic, but if you're going to convert to Christianity then it doesn't really matter.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

T. Bombastus posted:

For the "Long Live the Queen" challenge in Sultana Arwa's journey, do you have to take over all of Yemen with Arwa? It's not counting up the years ruled for me, and that's the only reason I can think of.

Yeah. The tooltip for the challenge says you have to control all of Yemen's de jure provinces.

T. Bombastus
Feb 18, 2013

No Pants posted:

Yeah. The tooltip for the challenge says you have to control all of Yemen's de jure provinces.
I have all the de jure provinces (owned by me, not vassals, just in case that's what the tooltip means by "completely control"), but didn't do it until my second ruler. He was also part of the Sulayhid dynasty, so as far as I can tell it should still work, but maybe not.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

T. Bombastus posted:

I have all the de jure provinces (owned by me, not vassals, just in case that's what the tooltip means by "completely control"), but didn't do it until my second ruler. He was also part of the Sulayhid dynasty, so as far as I can tell it should still work, but maybe not.

Make sure there are no baronies owned by someone outside of your realm. My guess is the Assassins might have a castle in your realm.

T. Bombastus
Feb 18, 2013

Neurion posted:

Make sure there are no baronies owned by someone outside of your realm. My guess is the Assassins might have a castle in your realm.
That was it, thanks! Time to hit the fast forward button.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Managed to do the "kill Norse Pagans" part of the Louis the Stammerer Monarch's Journey by declaring tributary war on Suðureyjar while they were fighting five holy wars against basically everyone else in the British Isles. Then I just seiged down a few places and executed all the prisoners most of whom were women and children. Not the most honorable way to do the challenge but it counted.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I just assassinated random low-intrigue pagans.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I also like that now the Pope is an actual annoyance unlike back in vanilla where you could basically just ignore him.

He's not quite the constant burden he's in Medieval 2 but close enough.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

FreudianSlippers posted:

I also like that now the Pope is an actual annoyance unlike back in vanilla where you could basically just ignore him.

He's not quite the constant burden he's in Medieval 2 but close enough.

As Paul Subic I was able to use my good graces with His Holiness to take over Croatia and Hungary in two easy wars. Before a crusade fired I was able to plot and fabricate a strong claim on the kingdom of Croatia, and then I got a lot of cash, prestige, and piety from warscore contribution. What's this? The pope doesn't like my liege much, and he only has two daughters as heirs? Asked for the pope to excommunicate my liege and he gets deposed quickly as the rest of Christendom dogpiles him in excom wars. The kingdom is split to his two preteen daughters, and the pope is all too happy to grant my request to invade Hungary. Using all the cash I won in the crusades to hire mercs, I'm able to invade Hungary and then press my claim on Croatia. Of course, I switched to Hungarian culture to ease the transition of power (and gain the ability to raid) and now the Magyar are terrorizing the Mediterranean with rampant piracy :yarr:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
The attrition you get in pagan provinces is sort of insane - am I just supposed to always be assaulting?
Even OPMs are proving a proper arse to take.

Also my Sweden has changed to be called "Irtim". It's still a Norse Germanic guy ruling it. His family name isn't Irtim. Does anyone know what that's about?

Taear fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Feb 24, 2020

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The attrition is supposed to be insane until you get the right tech, so that all the pagans don't get immediately dumpstered by the more powerful feudal realms right out the gate.

You can build forts to reduce it, or yeah just assault to get things over with quicker.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Jabor posted:

The attrition is supposed to be insane until you get the right tech, so that all the pagans don't get immediately dumpstered by the more powerful feudal realms right out the gate.

You can build forts to reduce it, or yeah just assault to get things over with quicker.

Which tech?

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Taear posted:

Which tech?

Level 4 Military Organization or something.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Military Organization IV, iirc.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Jabor posted:

Military Organization IV, iirc.

Thanks.
It's a new one on me, I guess this wasn't a mechanic last time I played.

In my current game England, Spain, Italy and France are a mega empire of Hispania that's Germanic so I'm being raided just....constantly and the popups are so loving annoying. I really don't care that the high chief of Ravenna took 30 gold off Pskov, get lost

Taear fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Feb 24, 2020

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

And the new Monarch's Journey is...Harald Hardrade :getin:

I don't think we'll be having too many questions on how to get the challenge points

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Taear posted:

The attrition you get in pagan provinces is sort of insane - am I just supposed to always be assaulting?
Even OPMs are proving a proper arse to take.

Also my Sweden has changed to be called "Irtim". It's still a Norse Germanic guy ruling it. His family name isn't Irtim. Does anyone know what that's about?

split up your armies into small packets so that they don't get crushed by attrition. even if something terrible happens and one of your 8k man stacks gets pounced on and vanished by a OPM army, that's still not so bad of a loss as slowly rebuilding the 20k levies who starved or were eaten by bears or whatever happens in pagan lands

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Taear posted:

Thanks.
It's a new one on me, I guess this wasn't a mechanic last time I played.

In my current game England, Spain, Italy and France are a mega empire of Hispania that's Germanic so I'm being raided just....constantly and the popups are so loving annoying. I really don't care that the high chief of Ravenna took 30 gold off Pskov, get lost

Right-click on the popup window and you can change its priority for that type of event. I have raiding poo poo at low priority.

In my current monarch challenge, where you start as the Queen of Egypt, I managed to survive the inevitable crusade by hiring as many dudes as I could and blitzing down the Papal States, swinging the warscore enough in my favor that the Pope decided to surrender (at only 50% warscore, too) before the Christian crusaders began to gently caress me up proper. Soon after I was assassinated, which is fine because the distant male relative was able to inherit, and I set about crushing rebellions and replacing my Bedouin and Levantine vassals with proper Turkish ones. Lots of raiding and progressive expansion by my vassals later, and I have enough territory to reform the Arabian Empire, which I do. I amass lots of wealth, via raiding, for hiring mercs and drop a Great Conquest for Sicily CB on the HRE, and then the pope calls for the next crusade and I'm trying to finish the GC before the Crusade starts. Unfortunately the Crusade fired before I won the GC, but I was able to get enough warscore for that and then siege down the Papal States again to convince the Pope to gently caress off.

Some little nobody adventurer just declared his intent to attack me, but he died of poor health 2 days later.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

SirPhoebos posted:

And the new Monarch's Journey is...Harald Hardrade :getin:

I don't think we'll be having too many questions on how to get the challenge points

At the end of the war, all the Godwins except for a bishop had lost their lands, and I was worried about them dying out before I could kill 15 of them. My solution to this problem made me very uncomfortable.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

No Pants posted:

At the end of the war, all the Godwins except for a bishop had lost their lands, and I was worried about them dying out before I could kill 15 of them. My solution to this problem made me very uncomfortable.

Did it involve familiarizing yourself better, with your username? (And the seduction focus) :v:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Neurion posted:

Right-click on the popup window and you can change its priority for that type of event. I have raiding poo poo at low priority.

They're sieges though, so if I turn the priority down I won't know if people are actually legit taking my territory in wars (since I'm being raided all the time constantly forever right now) right?
Unless the raid ones are counted differently even if they look the same?

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Taear posted:

They're sieges though, so if I turn the priority down I won't know if people are actually legit taking my territory in wars (since I'm being raided all the time constantly forever right now) right?
Unless the raid ones are counted differently even if they look the same?

Afaik you don't get alerts for sieges starting during wars, just a large popup when they're completed. Besides, you should always know when you're at war, and the list of things on the right of the screen (the list that has your demesne and other things in it) will include active sieges. Green numbers are sieges you are performing, red is sieges performed against you.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Major Isoor posted:

Did it involve familiarizing yourself better, with your username? (And the seduction focus) :v:

I left that to some extremely horny young wives. The part that made me realize I was a monster was the decade of infanticide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

You can't make an omelette without murdering a few babies.