Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Vagabundo posted:

Yeah, it always felt like it was needlessly convoluted. The best finishers are the ones that can just come in out of nowhere, and the most complicated set-up should be a kick to the mid-section like the Stunner.

Edit: and since I mentioned finishers, and because we all know that Charlotte is going to beat Rhea Ripley clean at WrestleMania and tap her out, can I just say that I loving HATE the Figure Eight. Get to gently caress with that poo poo.

Moves like the Figure Eight cross my personal line where I'm willing to suspend my disbelief. I put it on the same level of dumb as the Overdrive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

TheKingslayer posted:

Moves like the Figure Eight cross my personal line where I'm willing to suspend my disbelief. I put it on the same level of dumb as the Overdrive.

Is the Overdrive Elix Skipper’s finisher? If so, yeah, that one had a lot going on.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Overdrive was like the secret technique of OVW for a hot minute and I will never know why.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

Is the Overdrive Elix Skipper’s finisher? If so, yeah, that one had a lot going on.

Holy poo poo is this Saturn doing the Overdrive?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Finishers should only be complicated when it's part of a storyline like when Disco Inferno had to refer to notes when applying a hold.

TheKingslayer posted:

Holy poo poo is this Saturn doing the Overdrive?

See? It doesn't even look good.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Yeah, such a weird move. Skipper called it “Play of the Day” now that I’ve devoted energy to making my brain recall that information.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Honestly, submission holds are the only ones that you can get away with a bit of set-up, since "can they apply the move?" is absolutely good fodder for drama. A move built around a slam shouldn't be that complicated.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Vagabundo posted:

Honestly, submission holds are the only ones that you can get away with a bit of set-up, since "can they apply the move?" is absolutely good fodder for drama. A move built around a slam shouldn't be that complicated.

While you can build a lot of drama around a hold/impact finish some of my personal favorite matches are built around submissions/reversals of said submission/avoiding the submission. I mean Angle vs Benoit (take your pick) had such a real feeling to it because these two guys were grappling masters trying to avoid and counter each other's signature move.

To be fair though that's all taste and maybe also depends on how two finishers fit together. DDP had a cool way of making his matches all about hitting the Diamond Cutter from anywhere.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

They gave that stupid Overdrive to so many people and it sucked on all of them

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

I don't mind finishers having a bit of setup, as it answers the "why didn't he just hit that at the start?" criticism. And gives room for counters to the setup. If Kenny always gets people in the Electric Chair for the One Winged Angel, a good match will have people finding ways to hit him with something from there.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

TheKingslayer posted:

While you can build a lot of drama around a hold/impact finish some of my personal favorite matches are built around submissions/reversals of said submission/avoiding the submission. I mean Angle vs Benoit (take your pick) had such a real feeling to it because these two guys were grappling masters trying to avoid and counter each other's signature move.

To be fair though that's all taste and maybe also depends on how two finishers fit together. DDP had a cool way of making his matches all about hitting the Diamond Cutter from anywhere.

The best part of the Diamond Cutter (and what really made it work imho) is that no one in the building was more incredibly stoked after a successful one than DDP

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Procrastinator posted:

no it's still bad, the left hand of god owns so much more

Closed fists are illegal, he should be disqualified.

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

forkboy84 posted:

Are they illegal or is it just "poor sportsmanship" for Japanese wrestlers?

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

https://twitter.com/njpwglobal/status/1148336113830060032

juice robinson is a criminal

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

boxcarhobo posted:

juice robinson is a criminal

Impossible, he's a gay cop

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

forkboy84 posted:

Closed fists have been legal in WWE for a while

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

fatherofmustard posted:

Closed fists have been legal in WWE for a while

Outrageously cowardly rule change.

(Actually it makes a lot of sense because closed fists being banned is one of those rules that people just forget about whenever it's convenient & it's one of those things in wrestling that absolutely does my nut in. I like the idea because it encourages forearms & European uppercuts & elbows & they all loving rule but there's no point having a rule you don't see enforced.)

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Rarity posted:

Impossible, he's a gay cop

Someone on this board described him as a hot, gay lowtax and I've been laughing ever since

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Vagabundo posted:

Nah, Kenny trying to get people set up for the OWA is consistently good.

Edit: drat beat to the OWA example

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
This is a great tag team idea:

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Wezlar posted:

Nah, Kenny trying to get people set up for the OWA is consistently good.

Edit: drat beat to the OWA example

I would like to introduce the "Electric Chair Set-up Clause," which clearly states that electric chair set-ups are good and cool, and therefore exempt from the "Keep It Simple, Stupid" rule.

Down Right Fierce
Jan 30, 2011

forkboy84 posted:

Outrageously cowardly rule change.

(Actually it makes a lot of sense because closed fists being banned is one of those rules that people just forget about whenever it's convenient & it's one of those things in wrestling that absolutely does my nut in. I like the idea because it encourages forearms & European uppercuts & elbows & they all loving rule but there's no point having a rule you don't see enforced.)

All rules are arbitrarily enforced or not, because it’s part of the story.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Incessant Excess posted:

This is a great tag team idea:

Tag team? Nah, Women's singles competitor who happens to compete in a large coat.

And short setup finishers and long setup finishers are both good, overdrive is not good. Candice Michelle doing the unprettier just to release the hold, grab a headlock and hit a bulldog was the worst.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Wazzu posted:

Tag team? Nah, Women's singles competitor who happens to compete in a large coat.

And short setup finishers and long setup finishers are both good, overdrive is not good. Candice Michelle doing the unprettier just to release the hold, grab a headlock and hit a bulldog was the worst.

ahem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqWudY_iViM

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

There's currently a gap in the Full Sail schedule with no NXT event on March 11th, but shows on the 4th and 18th. According to the tall bald guy that's often in the front row they may be taking NXT to the Impact Zone.

https://twitter.com/FLWrestlingFan/status/1232374256991899655

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
BAH GAWD WHAT'S WWE DOING IN THE IMPACT ZONE?!

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

it'd be funny if the only place NXT can do a million viewers per episode is in the old Impact Zone.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Can't stop laughing at wrestling coming back to the IMPACT ZONE

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Please be respectful and refer to it by its proper name of the NXT ZONE

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Very happy to see HHH crawling to the Jeff Jarrett home

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Chris James 2 posted:

Very happy to see HHH crawling to the Jeff Jarrett home

Jeff Jarrett has been in his ear for how long and they are only just now going to the Impact Zone.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Lol with AJ, Roode, Eric Young, Abyss, etc they can do a way better TNA tribute show than Impact had been able to throw together

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

flashy_mcflash posted:

Lol with AJ, Roode, Eric Young, Abyss, etc they can do a way better TNA tribute show than Impact had been able to throw together

Didn't HHH once say that there wasn't anyone on the TNA roster that WWE wanted?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Vagabundo posted:

No he was lying out loud while engaging in contract tampering.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Vagabundo posted:

He lies about a lot of things, yes

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Vagabundo posted:

The impact roster on the other hand...

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Putting the show in a different arena is not going to fix the problem with it

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Astro7x posted:

Tuesday Night NXT

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Astro7x posted:

Well part of the problem is that compared to Dynamite's arenas Full Sail looks low rent so running from the Impact Zone will make it feel more upmarket and ahahahaha oh god I'm sorry I can't even finish that sentence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

more like Full Sale 200 people