Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sterski
Jun 30, 2014
This is gonna be hard to explain to my probation officer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009
Tell them your intent was pure and also that you don't think all Japanese people are perverts, like that guy a couple of posts earlier.

Surely that'll convince your probation officer.

Malah
May 18, 2015

Well.

You did warn us.

I will never feel clean again. :wtc:

OminousEdge
Apr 4, 2013

Malah posted:

Well.

You did warn us.

I will never feel clean again. :wtc:

Meh. I haven't felt clean since I learned about Goosh Goosh from Anime America. This is honestly less disturbing.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I'm kind of indifferent about the doll altogether, this weirdness included, but learning that you can dress it up in black or white panties? Da fuq Japan?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

achtungnight posted:

"Stand around and fight the urge to do anything useful."

Thanks for an awesome political insult. :D
This game has actually done some research into Russia and / or into just how loving worthless Niki 2 was.

Pesky Splinter posted:

Same. You'd better keep it away from me пожилой человек.
That said though, "elderly person" isn't really nailing the "old man" vibes Anastasia should be going for.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

The Dark Id posted:

Has there ever been a puppeteer assassin?

https://kiseki.fandom.com/wiki/The_Doll_Knight

While on the topic of Legend of Heroes, Sky FC came out a few months after this did in Japan, so I guess 2004 was the year of Tanned Fortune Telling Woman being playable in RPGs.

I played SH1 about 15 years ago for about an hour, and I gotta say, strong contender for my least favorite gameplay of all time. QTE's don't bother me normally, but tell me to do several thousand of them during exp pinata fights, and you have a very strong torture routine going. But SH2 here has pretty much the exact same atmosphere as my favorite series, and it makes me feel obligated to play it myself even if I'll have to gird up the old RPG Masochism to do so. Before that I have a few questions.
How far can hit area expands go? Can you say cheat in the max and get everyone on the active party to have a silver hand effect?
Can you just plain cheat in permanent silver hand?
Failing the above is it feasible to get through with the auto mode without it being a hardhack?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
If there's one thing I learned from the game Catherine, it's that Astaroth is a sarcastic, nasally-voiced dweeby rear end in a top hat.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

Episode LXVII: Soul Drop

Music: Old Smudged Map ~ Europe

As you can see, Idar Flamme has appeared on the map just outside of Petrograd. While we could head there straight away it is a rather lengthy dungeon and it's been like... maybe 45 minutes in-game since the last crawl through hostile territory. So let's do a tour around Europe and knock out some sidequest progress first as the appearance of the floating fortress has unlocked a handful of things. Technically, we need to actually finish Idar Flamme to unlock all of the Disc 1 sidequest progress. But, it's probably better to spread this out.

The chief thing that has unlocked is Domremy is once again accessible on the map. Let's head back to where the adventure began and see what's shaking.

Music: Town of Twilight ~ European Town

There is nothing going on in the outskirts of town other than several wolves howling in the distance. All the treasure boxes Karin looted early on are still looted and there are no longer random battles. Remember how Nicolai and Karin were attacked by assorted magically enchanted toys? Which would imply Gepetto has dominion over all manner of dolls and wooden horses and whatnot. Why couldn't that be your gimmick? Utilize a bunch of weird animated toys. Why do you need to limit yourself to the single most uncomfortable doll you had on hand?

It was really vague as to what happened to the Domremy villagers earlier on. It was implied they were all killed, given Jeanne being incredibly dead and Yuri expressing remorse about what happened to the village. But nope... only Jeanne died. The rest of the villagers are fine and just chilling out. I guess the German Army gave up trying to fill in this part of the map as their territory when they lost another entire platoon of soldiers. That's a good thing. We wouldn't want Karin to get arrested for desertion.

Let's talk to the townsfolk.

Don't get discourage either. Even when everything seems bad, something good can come along...
Or more bad stuff can come along. It's been usually that lately.
Well now I'm just discouraged.

Huh. Walking all across Europe has actually taken a decent chunk of time. Who'd a thunk?

I feel much better now that I've made up my mind. Hehe. Pretty strange, huh?

Should I try to stop him from going to the front, or should I send him off with a smile?
I don't know. I'm sure it'll be fine. What's the worst that could happen?

One week later...

Nothing like this ever happened when Jeanne and Blanca were here...
I wonder where they wandered off to...
Blanca is doing fine. I've seen him around.
Really?! That's great news. Was Jeanne with him? They were inseparable.
<rubs neck> Uhh... no... Weird... Haven't seen her... with Blanca...

This is the only NPC in town that it is important to speak with in order to unlock something. We'll get back to that in a bit.

Eh... It isn't so bad when you can fly there in the Bacon Jet.
The bacon what?
...Don't worry about it.

And we're back to where it all began. Where both Yuri got cursed by the Holy Mistletoe and Karin got cursed by a nerd awkwardly declaring their love for her out of the blue. Also, I suppose Jeanne got gibbed here as well. Truly an auspicious location.

Speaking of Jeanne, remember how she randomly popped in to tell Yuri he can unlock Level 3 Fusions now? Well, there is this strange YELLOW glowing loot indicator in the corner of the church. If we investigate that, we will receive...

Our first Soul Drop! These replace the Gravestones from the original Shadow Hearts. Unlike those, which were elementally attuned, these items are universal. They also don't require grinding out specific elemental Soul Energy since they dropped that whole system. Yes, I'm still somewhat salty about that feature-length movie of grinding out the last of Earth Energy because the game just forgot to put in more Earth elemental enemies after a point. In fact, they don't require any Soul Energy. They can be used one time to unlock any Level 3 Fusion of our choosing.

There are three Soul Drops in Disc 1 and three are in Disc 2 and we're going to need to collect them all for something special. Yeesh. This is turning into a late '90s Rare platformer with all these collectibles.

Music: Holy Mistletoe ~ Graveyard

We do need to manually return to the Graveyard and place the Soul Drop on the desired elemental Gravestone. So let's go do that right now.

Given Yuri, by default, is a Dark class character, it seems appropriate to go unlock the Level 3 Dark Fusion first.

> Yes, hold the Soul Drop up to it!
Slam that thing in! Is... that how it works?

The Soul Drop releases the Power of Darkness!!

Music: Vicious 1915 ~ Battle in Europe

Oh yeah, unlike the earlier Fusions, there is a boss fight required to obtain the Level 3 versions. This cloud of darkness is Veles. Uhh... I think there is supposed to be a shadowy version of the Fusion in question here but it's not quite rendering correctly. You can see a big secondary shadow there. Look, the amount of jiggering with settings I had to do to get this to emulate smoothly 95% of the time is not being touched for some throw away optional mid-boss fight. Pretend there is a big generic gargoyle looking demon shadow in the evil cloud. In any case, Veles comes with 600 HP and err... I think you can guess which element.

Unlike the Fusion fights in the previous game, which were leveled encounters and just a waste of your time filler battles as such, these battles are at a set level and at this point in the game are a tad rough. Level 3 Fusion bosses will always start out the battle using their top elemental buff. In the Dark category's case that means Surge.

They'll also bust out the highest-end (for the mid-game at least) elemental attack in their playbook, which is Dark Claw in this case. Which, despite the name, seems to send out a series of cursed Pac-Man monsters to bite Yuri's face off. This does over 100 HP of damage. Veles also has a physical attack string that has a chance to debuff Yuri's Special Attack Power and does 85-100 HP of damage. Amon is still our top Fusion and but even with that Yuri only has 300 HP. And our best option is to just punch this thing doing maybe 80ish HP of damage every round. This adds up to maybe two turns of offense before having to heal and then it's a matter of juggling a turn of attacking and a turn of healing unless we want to gamble the boss won't get a critical attack in. I think I used more consumables on this fight than the better part of the latter Disc 1 combined.

I barely scraped by here but before I did, I checked to see if this was a real match. In Shadow Hearts 1, losing to a Fusion battle just left Yuri at 1 HP and he was told to go home and be a family man. Here? Nope. He's dead if he loses. Which I assume in the real world Yuri just falls over dead while standing on a save point. The rest of the party must be exceedingly confused.

But, we brought it together in the end. Even if Yuri only had 20 HP left. Hey, a victory is a victory. Even if it has no rewards. I mean, other than the new Fusion...

Music: Holy Mistletoe ~ Graveyard

Your Power of Darkness has been completely resurrected.

Defeating Veles nets us the Somnion Fusion. OK, centrist of darkness... You sit on that fence of destruction. This Fusion... to be honest, looks way crappier than its previous game counterpart Czernobog. At a glance, this looks like a big dumb winged cartoon dinosaur. It's the legs. They're too beefy. It looks like a guy in a rubber suit. But not in a charming Godzilla sort of way.

By default, Somnion buffs stats...
  • Strength +9
  • Vitality +8
  • Agility +8
  • Intelligence +4
  • Power +11
  • Luck +8

Well, it's not the smartest but it's pretty darn good in every other regard.

In addition to the skills Nox and Orexis possessed, Somnion (with a large amount of Soul Energy pumped into it) has the potential to learn:

Arc Surge - 36 MP. Increases Special Attack for all allies. Yuri really shouldn't be in a supporting role, but sure.
Delay - 40 MP. Odds of delaying one enemy's turn. Yeah... no.
Thanatos - 64 MP. Medium-linear Dark Attack. It's the best Dark elemental attack in the game so this is pretty good.

That concludes our business in The Graveyard. Take it easy, curse tree Yuri.

Now while we're done with The Graveyard, we are not QUITE done with the Domremy revisit. Remember that NPC I said was important to speak with? The one that talked about the wolves being jerks? And remember how I said there were wolves howling on the lead up into town. Well, if we return to the entrance now...

Well, look who showed up. Yep, it's time for another Wolf Bout. You'll perhaps notice I've not done the usual prep work to negate the gimmick of this fight for Blanca. That's because... we can't! At least, not at this point in the game. Blanca is just going to have to equip the best equipment available and suck it up. It's more important to give him maximum durability than worry about a stat ailment gimmick. You'll see why...

Awroo? Grrr! (Who the hell do you think you are, coming into our territory?)
Awroo! Awrooo... (Hey, Boss! I think this guy is the "White Demon of Domremy"!)
...Awroo! (Yeah. Some call me that.)
(Awroo...?) (Since when did corny name startup?)
<shakes head> Awroo, awroo. (Awroo, awroo.)
Hey, Blanca, can I fight these guys too?

It's been ages since I fought a wolf. Manchuria was lousy with them. We can be like a tag team. What do you think?

Aw-awroo! (H-hold on! You're an official competitor in the Wolf Bout, right?)
Awroo... (Somehow, that is true...)
Awroo, awroo! (You can't go getting your humans to help you! It's against the rules!)
So... are we doing this, or...?
Grrr!
No dice? Meh... Have it your way.

...Awroo, awroo! (Fine, I'll take you all on, all by myself! This is for harassing the village!)

Music: Soul Comet ~ Spirit of the Wolf

Fate is a funny thing. Here I am, fighting to protect the village again...

Music: Music: Glint of Light ~ War of the Hungry Wolf

These guys are a reference to a team of jobbers from the original Mobile Suit Gundam -- Gaia, Mash, and Ortega which composed the Black Tri-Stars. And so the gimmick of this Wolf Bout is we are fighting all three wolves at once. Maya, the eyepatch wolf, is the real threat with 305 HP and a Light class elemental. He can inflict Poison with his attacks. Mash has 180 HP and is Dark Elemental and can cause Mental Break (Drain MP over time.) Finally, Martega also has 180 HP and is Wind elemental. He comes with Seal on his physical attack string.

Naturally, being a team, the trio will immediately set up a Combo and there is essentially nothing we can do about that. Except brace Blanca to deal with getting styled on for a while.

And we'll do that by blowing our first two turns with Barrier and Shield. Barrier should come first as all three of the Black Dog Stars are packing the strongest currently available magic spells on top of their physical attack add-on abilities. The team's combos are guaranteed to follow up with magic spells after the initial physical attack launcher.

Blanca might take a minor beating as we scramble to defend against this handicap match. But once that is done? Yeah, we're good for the next three turns. Time to go on the offense.

Mash or Martega should be the first to be taken out as they both have lower HP than Maya. Martega's Seal ability is the more problematic of the two and thankfully he didn't initiate a combo until we already had Barrier and Shield up, so whatever. Really, we just want to diminish their ability to do a Combo by quickly taking one of them out. It should take Blanca more than two turns to defeat either of the pair.

Once both of them are taken care of we can focus on the leader, Maya. By this point Blanca had his abilities sealed, was poisoned and at 36 HP with 2 SP on the clock. The Black Dog Stars put up a decent match.

Music: Result ~ Victory

However, nobody is going to beat our best boy. That's a pretty decent payout. Perhaps, mean spirited to steal all three's Lottery Tickets. Have you seen what the Mega Millions jackpot is this weekend?

Another Tarot Card has been collected. As suggested in the description, all damage is doubled if face-up. Naturally, it's halved if Lucia blows it. The Special Effect is quad damage or get bent and run away from/restart the fight because 75% reduced damage output is No Good!

Numbers don't always decide the outcome. Doesn't matter how many you have if you don't believe in yourselves.
Believe in your own justice.

Awroo! (You'd better not bother Domremy ever again! And I won't tell you twice...)
Aw-awroo. (We won't. We promise. And to show you we mean it, here.)

That's another one in the book. Wait, only one paw print? What the hell. That was three wolves! Whatever... With our shortchange in Wolf Bout credit comes a new ability. Comeback is just a 36 MP full HP revive on a downed party member. Hopefully, it won't come into play too often. But more important, time for more Wolf Facts...

Boss of the dreaded "Black Dog Stars." A decorated soldier in his youth. Now married and on the run from his nagging wife.

Shameful.

Tragically, it cannot speak wolf.

He can speak fluently in Esperanto. Nobody is impressed.

<walks off>
Awroo, awroo! (Wait for me, Boss!) <chases after him>
Awrooo! (Awrooo!)

And with that, our revisit to Domremy is concluded. We may come back here sometime in the distant future. But for now, our European tour most resume elsewhere. The call of trading and the call of the ring await...

Video: Episode 67 Highlight Reel
(Some kinda SUPA wolf!)

Domremy Concept Art - Unlike most real locations we visit, yeah... Domremy is basically just a handful of houses, a church and a bunch of woods. Not sure about its wolf problems, though.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

My favorite Wolf Bout! I love those chuckleheads. Their Jet Stream Attack could use some work, though.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Yeah, this is the most challenging Wolf Bout on Disc 1, maybe in the game. But Blanca can handle it! Now for Wolf Char- where is that fool? ;)

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy
I hope there's an end-game video that shows everyone's skills so that everyone can see how amazing the special effect for the Fool card is. :discourse:

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

i'm like, 70% sure the 'White Demon' is also a ref to 0079 gundam's nickname of the White Devil maybe?? :v:

Sterski
Jun 30, 2014
Three on one can't be legal, surely?

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
There were some Covenant cosplayers at Katsucon this last weekend. This just popped up on my Twitter feed and wanted to share. Will put it behind a spoiler tag on the off chance...it doesn't look super spoilery beyond maybe some characters we haven't met yet?

https://twitter.com/lightofhope_18/status/1230190723976351754?s=19

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012

Sterski posted:

Must be a loophole where the team is the single entity registered to bout, thus why you only get one paw print.

The Dark Id posted:

Don't get discourage either.

But for now, our European tour most resume elsewhere.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

The Dark Id posted:

Another Tarot Card has been collected. As suggested in the description, all damage is doubled if face-up. Naturally, it's halved if Lucia blows it. The Special Effect is quad damage or get bent and run away from/restart the fight because 75% reduced damage output is No Good!

Oh, no. It's quite more literal than that...it literally alters the font size of the damage number, like this. Because Tarot needed to waste more of the player's time.

HR12345
Nov 19, 2012
I'm surprised with that reference they didn't work in a "Did you just step on me?" joke.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Sterski posted:

Wolf Bout’s rules are pretty flexible. We had one dead participant who a shapeshifted human, one who was an alien shaped like a wolf, and one who was dead.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Booky posted:

i'm like, 70% sure the 'White Demon' is also a ref to 0079 gundam's nickname of the White Devil maybe?? :v:

It's absolutely a reference.

Materant fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Feb 23, 2020

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Episode LXVIII: Deathtron Hammer

Music: Old Smudged Map ~ Europe

Let's resume our European turn. Ardennes Forest, to my knowledge, never has a reason to revisit it (they just keep those old dungeons open in case you missed a Magic Crest) so let's skip straight to Paris.

Despite having to tool around Paris on foot and rail the first time around, the revisit version now gained its own convenient submap. Let's start by heading back to Gepetto's Apartment. A new NPC may be waiting for us there.

I had forgotten Gepetto had some prime real estate for his home away from home. I cannot imagine this place rents for cheap and I somehow doubt Gepetto has been keeping up in the half-year since our adventure began. As such, in his apartment we now find his landlord...

<transforms into Lottery Member 10> Anything'll do! Whatever you got! Ah! That lottery ticket's fine! So come on, hand it over!
Why am I setting Gepetto's debts now? It's bad enough I have to do the porn card trading for his doll dresses.
What you're doing in here is your own business as long as I get my rent. The ticket. Now! Pay up!

Okay, I'll play.

This lottery member doesn't seem to have any gimmick going on that I can detect. I guess finding her by backtracking here was gimmick enough. Since we're amassing quite the surplus of Lottery Tickets, we are going to go ahead and grab the first two prizes.

Arc Surge was definitely worth returning here. That is PRETTY handy. Plus, gotta catch 'em all with this Crests at the end of the day.

And an accessory that just stops the Sanity Point mechanic on a single character when equipped. Yeah, that sounds like something that could be rather useful. Perhaps if Yuri ever finds himself in a solo battle. You know, as he will repeatedly be doing in the Graveyard in the latter part of the game.

Make sure you pay on time next month! Understand?!

Aww, that's cute. She thinks we'll ever return to Gepetto's apartment.

Next in line is a brief return to Montmartre, where you'll recall we signed up for the Wolf Bouts.

Now that we've completed all of the Disc 1 Wolf Bouts we can check in on Ernest and claim some rewards. You would think we would get more after having bested everything from the undead to space aliens to wolf Terry Bogard. But nope, not really...

It's just a Thera Extract and yet another Magic Crest. But, while we are wrapping up things on the first half of the game I was reminded I ought to check out Solomon's Key again to see if anything finished and as luck would have it, we did... at some point... collect a complete set of another region of the board.

Music: Deep Meditation ~ Title

Look, I'm not keeping a checklist open and crossing off every new Crest name to see if a category of 6-10 random names has filled up so we can do a simple word puzzle.

Today's region we are crossing off is the Wilderness of War. I think I got stuck for a weekend there on assignment back when I was younger. The only thing worse than an edgelord is an edgelord that lives out in the woods and doesn't bathe. Let's get to it...

Well, a tent to the west is fairly straightforward so Dantalion gets stuck here.

There is only one slot next to Dantalion, so Laraje hangs out in this spot. Got it.

A guillotine synchs up with this slot. Still waiting for those to come back in style. But until then, Balam can go here.

Well, there's only the one slot next to Laraje and it is the frontier of the battleground or... you know, the end of the map page. So Halphas has a home.

There is only one slot for adjacent to the Palace of Transgression to the south. So if Ose is going to communicate with his pals with beachfront homes, this is where he would be.

I don't see any horse on the map but if he's beefing with Halphas and on the edge of the map, this is where Berith would go.

The Bastion of Riches is the region to the south of here and if he's next Berith, this is where Alloces would get placed.

Nothing doing with Ipos's placement here. Like, I'm not seeing the Untitled Goose Abomination angel anywhere or anything about a song. But the remaining two slots are very obvious in their placement so by order of elimination, Ipos goes here.

Since Sabnock is into hangings and welp.

And Eligos is chilling in a tent farthest east. So yeah, Ipos that one slot and the other two find their homes easily enough.

And with that, the Wilderness of War is restored to its former glory. This unlocks the Magic Crest potential via:
  • Dantalion - Bright Crime
  • Leraje - Red Blaze
  • Halphas - Air Edge
  • Berith - Surge
  • Ipos - Gale Spark
  • Eligos - Barrier
  • Balam - Hail Breeze
  • Ose - Mirage
  • Alloces - Evil Born.
  • Sabnock - Rock Storm
Nothing too fantastic but there never really is on these upgrades. It definitely feels like they came up with that faux Sphere Grid with all the demonic names and the neat map and the actual distribution of magic for the Magic Crests is kind of an afterthought.

Who knows when we will return to the Solomon's Key. Not again on this disc! But what does await is a trip over to Champs Élysées.

If we head over down the street you'll certainly not remember some random French Chef named Zinedine of Mitsuboshi NPC. But we need to speak to him as he is the final step of the Disc 1 portion of the Trading Sidequest. You'll recall we turned away the offering of the portly fellow in Gerome Valley to trade our now month-old Super Piroshki. That's because the dish was destined to fall into this man's hands.

Ah, it's probably this. It's called a Piroshki. It's stone cold now, though.
And at LEAST a month old. And I've almost definitely fallen on my pack hard a few times and squished it.
Piroshki? That's Russian, isn't it? A kind of bread, right? Interesting... Swap it for this stuffed animal?
> Sure! I love stuffed animals! > No way! Stuffed animals suck!
It's a step-up from some old food I keep forgetting to throw away.

Ah yes, the most well-known of all French animals -- the panda bear. Nobody else in Europe is interested in this. We may need to travel to a new land before trading can resume.

I told you it was weeks old... No take backs!
The outside's so fluffy! The inside's so moist! Amazing! And it's not even fresh! And the meat flavor! Mmm... That exquisite bite... Only Sichuan soy tastes like that! And... Yes! There's a tiny hint of boxthorn too! Oh, it's fantastic! Beautiful! We chefs better look out for those Russians! They can really cook!
It really tasted that good? Guess I should've tried it...
I always forget to eat when I'm busy dealing with wizards. It's a bad habit.
Thanks, that was a real eye-opener. One day, I'll be making Piroshki like that!

I kind of want to try a piroshki now. We are mostly done with Paris. But there is something to be seen in the Cathedral district. So let's mosey on over there before we move on to our next destination.

The only thing here is the Junk Dealer merchant we met earlier. But he does have something new of note if we speak with him in this later encounter.

I can't let it go for free, but let's see... For you, how about 10,000 Cash?

This is a Gepetto-only accessory that grants a not very impressive +2 to Physical and Special Attack and Defense. Its actual unique trait is that other characters will now take a mortal blow for Gepetto if he is at critical health when this is equipped. Yeah... I'm not dropping 10,000 Cash on an item that gets other characters hurt if Gepetto is getting his rear end kicked. No part of this is appealing to my playstyle. Like having to use Gepetto in the main party.

It's of note that apparently a silver seat is near the door and reserved for the elderly on public transportation. It is also of note that the junk dealer's store now sells Hit Area Expansions for the Judgment wheel at 5000 Cash a pop. I'm not too interested in that either, but it's there as an option.

Le Harve and the Wine Cellar have nothing new going on at the moment. But, the Port of Southampton does...

It has been a long time coming but I think it's time for Joachim to finally have that rematch with his mentor, The Great Gama. We are going to get him equipped and hook him up with Crest Magic that includes Gale and Shield before stepping back into the ring.

I won't show you any mercy, you know! When you think your mind and body are sufficiently prepared, step on up!
Teacher! I'm ready for my lesson!

Music: Grand Papillon!! ~ Pro Wrestler

Hee hee! Keep your eyes open! I'll be slamming you with my deadliest attack in the third turn! Can you handle it?

Music: Vicious 1915 ~ Battle in Europe

The fated match is at hand. We probably could have taken Great Gama's second bout around the time the Rasputin arc began but unfortunately, that's right around the time Joachim got benched because Anastasia got important and Yuri/Karin/Blanca are my not going anywhere team. But, he's still competitive enough that this fight isn't a problem. Great Gama Round 2 has upper his HP to 500 and is still a Light class enemy.

Our first order of business is we want to immediately cast Shield on Joachim. Wrestling is as physical attacks as it gets and we need to be topped off on defense against it. Particularly, in Great Gama's third turn. He said he was going to do his ultimate attack then and is not joking.

Much like the first bout, Great Gama only utilizes one attack he is teaching to his student. This time it is Deathtron Hammer, a physical attack that hits 15 times. With Shield up it only hits for 1 HP fifteen times. With that buff not in play, even at Level 21, it would hit 7 HP x 15 or 105 damage. You know... like around 40% of Joachim's total health. When I tried this earlier it was 15 HP x 15 and Joachim got sent to The Shadow Realm on his first turn.

Additionally, on his third turn, Great Gama will use The Third Key and just does a fifteen hit standard physical attack string that actually hurts way more than Deathtron Hammer overall. This is why Shield is vital. I tested this without the Shield up even at this point in the game it did 120 HP of damage or just shy of half Joachim's health.

But leveled sufficiently and with the right defenses in place, Joachim is able to hand his master and add another L in the book for The Great Gama.

Music: Result ~ Victory

See?! I'm terrific!

Good work, champ. Nice new HP total number.

Music: Grand Papillon!! ~ Pro Wrestler

Whenever you want to test your skills, come back to me, my boy. The open-air ring will always be waiting for you!
<clenches fist> Thank you, Teacher!

And thus Joachim claims his third move. There has been a disappointing lack of suplexing for a wrestling character, but I'll take it.

Tune in next time for the conclusion of our first expedition into cleaning up Disc 1 sidequests before we get back on task as Shadow Hearts Covenant's first half continues to trudge to its conclusion.

Gepetto's Apartment Concept Art - I don't accept Gepetto once being a productive member of society.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
As someone who enjoys logic puzzles, I do like the Key of Solomon sidequest! I will admit, however, that nothing you get from it (at least in terms of new spells) is amazing, though.

I think.

I could be forgetting something.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
I think you have to complete the Key of Solomon to unlock the final Trials of Solomon. But I could be wrong.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Extra spells is always nice as it makes it easier to get full coverage of elements/buffs across your party.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Well poo poo, I thought I was up to date on the Lottery Members in my playthrough. Looks like I'm swinging back by Gepetto's apartment :argh:.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Junpei posted:

As someone who enjoys logic puzzles, I do like the Key of Solomon sidequest! I will admit, however, that nothing you get from it (at least in terms of new spells) is amazing, though.

I think.

I could be forgetting something.

The last six (I think it's six) crests are the *best* crests in the game so there is that. and yes you need to complete the key for other side questy stuff. Shadow hearts is really heavy on the side quests leading to other side quests or being inter-woven with other side quests.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Thing about the Key of Solomon spells isn't that you get NEW new spells. How the crests work is if you've got a copy of the same spell on two or more crests equipped, their cost in MP goes down. So unlocking all this stuff means that casting spells got a lot easier for our crew in general.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Speedball posted:

Thing about the Key of Solomon spells isn't that you get NEW new spells. How the crests work is if you've got a copy of the same spell on two or more crests equipped, their cost in MP goes down. So unlocking all this stuff means that casting spells got a lot easier for our crew in general.

I did not know this! TIL

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Are you sure that the Will Power accessory stops a character's SP from depleting? I'm pretty sure it doesn't. I seem to remember that what it actually does is prevent that character from being affected by an "SP lowering" status effect. Thus it's of very limited usefulness.

It wouldn't make much sense otherwise. You could just put one on every character and completely nullify one of the game's major mechanics. That would be completely broken, and something that the devs would be extremely unlikely to do.

Edit: Indeed, according to this wiki, that's exactly what it does.

https://shadowhearts.fandom.com/wiki/Will_Power

...! fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Feb 23, 2020

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

This probably goes without saying, but don't check the wiki if you care about spoilers.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I think the crest magic additions are an afterthought because they chose a 72 entry theme. Are there even 72 unique spells?

So how effective are hit area expands?

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

...! posted:

Are you sure that the Will Power accessory stops a character's SP from depleting? I'm pretty sure it doesn't. I seem to remember that what it actually does is prevent that character from being affected by an "SP lowering" status effect. Thus it's of very limited usefulness.

It wouldn't make much sense otherwise. You could just put one on every character and completely nullify one of the game's major mechanics. That would be completely broken, and something that the devs would be extremely unlikely to do.

I mean, the obvious answer is that even if it did do that, you're spending an accessory slot to nullify a mechanic that usually isn't a problem; an accessory slot that can be put to far better use most of the time.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

MythosDragon posted:

I think the crest magic additions are an afterthought because they chose a 72 entry theme. Are there even 72 unique spells?

So how effective are hit area expands?

About 60 generic spells - 4 attack spells, 1 shield, and 1 buff for each element (excepting non-elemental), 6 single target and 6 party target buffs, and then a slew of miscellaneous heals and cures and other buffs. And that's just the crests - it's actually quite an extensive moveset in this game when you include the unique party moves, ring items, and combo magic and such.

Hit Area expands really need a few of them to have much of an impact - about 3 normally.

Unmodified:

+1

+7

MythosDragon posted:

How far can hit area expands go? Can you say cheat in the max and get everyone on the active party to have a silver hand effect?
Can you just plain cheat in permanent silver hand?
Failing the above is it feasible to get through with the auto mode without it being a hardhack?

Depends how many hit areas a character has on a ring - you can have a single one that will cover the entire ring, but they'll only do a single attack. Even with cheats the game also limits the hit and strike area expands to 99 across the entire party - so you could make a single character you could never miss on, but the rest would have few or no modifications to their rings.

That said, it's quite flexible on how it spaces the ring, although they seem to have programmed in some kind of limit so there's a minimum space between attack areas.
Pumping HAE and SAE into the first and third attack areas.

Resetting and pumping them into the second.

As for Auto ring, the devs clearly discourage people from wanting to play with it - It's a bit mean from an accessibility point, but the uniqueness of the system is the Judgement Ring - it makes a character do a single attack, and removes all strike areas, meaning no sweet extra damage (and that applies to all moves).

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Feb 24, 2020

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I've never been a huge fan of the Judgement Ring system, but once you have everyone's rhythm down it's easy. It's just kinda annoying, but I can live with it since this isn't really a game where you need to grind.

Now, if it found it's way to a game like the Dragon Quest series...oof.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I like RPG mechanics that make sure you actually pay attention to fights instead of just mashing A to win via basic attacks or spamming the strongest attacks.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Junpei posted:

I like RPG mechanics that make sure you actually pay attention to fights instead of just mashing A to win via basic attacks or spamming the strongest attacks.

I like that too, but even in this you get to where you can do it with your eyes closed

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Thank you very much. I never assumed they were divided by attack like that...

I already downloaded the game, so I'm committed but drat I'm dreading this. Most RPGs make you go through about 1000 battles, and I never really care too much, but Id dreading any and all extra fights in these games really goes to show exactly why most game's let you just turn your brain off and get that sweet sweet exp for the number porn between the battles that actually matter.

Though go past 1000 and even I start dying... Just got to Act 3 in Vesperia and my battle count is 1600.... I havnt grinded at all.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

MythosDragon posted:

Thank you very much. I never assumed they were divided by attack like that...

I already downloaded the game, so I'm committed but drat I'm dreading this. Most RPGs make you go through about 1000 battles, and I never really care too much, but Id dreading any and all extra fights in these games really goes to show exactly why most game's let you just turn your brain off and get that sweet sweet exp for the number porn between the battles that actually matter.

Though go past 1000 and even I start dying... Just got to Act 3 in Vesperia and my battle count is 1600.... I havnt grinded at all.

If you're not feeling the regular ring, under the "Ring Custom" menu, select the "Practice Ring" - it'll get rid of the Strike Areas, but keep the rest of the Hit Areas of the ring. Normally a ring is cancelled if you miss a segment, but the Practice Ring will keep on going, so long as you've at least hit one area. Again, that applies to everything - special moves, and magic.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Pesky Splinter posted:

If you're not feeling the regular ring, under the "Ring Custom" menu, select the "Practice Ring" - it'll get rid of the Strike Areas, but keep the rest of the Hit Areas of the ring. Normally a ring is cancelled if you miss a segment, but the Practice Ring will keep on going, so long as you've at least hit one area. Again, that applies to everything - special moves, and magic.

Must have mixed Practice and Auto into one between reading update idk 4? and 65.

Also I would like to join the Joachim Weapon Contest and say He's gonna wield a school bus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

None of Joachim's weapons past this point are even remotely predictable.