Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Captain Hygiene posted:

I haven't had the heart to pick that up again after my first couple sessions, the difficulty/different feel seem so much worse given how borked the loading times are (at least on PS4, where I think it was approaching 50% of the time it actually took to play some tracks).

I guess that it's constantly checking to see if you're playing online for every track because then it decides whether or not to give you the max bonuses or not.

Another weird quibble I have with the game is the fact that you can't make your own grand prix. Like, just picking 4 tracks you want to play. Because every one of the new ones have a track in them that I just don't like at all.

I've been thinking about picking up Mario Kart 8 Deluxe for months but I don't wanna get the game and then hey look, new Mario Kart coming out in August.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

End boss Of SGaG*
Aug 9, 2000
I REPORT EVERY POST I READ!
The last quarter of Bulletstorm is just not worth playing, which is a shame because it was kind of fun. There was only one "real" boss in the game so they resort to throwing you in small rooms with increasing numbers of minibosses, and the last weapon is an inaccurate stake gun when you already have remote control sniper bullets. But the worst is that you're following the dickhead racist general who never shuts up for a minute. He betrays you and fucks you over, and even though you have him dead to rights multiple times, he pulls some lame infighting trick on your partners (which sort of makes sense because your characters are dumbasses). Then he somehow beats your cyborg friend in a fistfight, and you 'kill' him in a QTE by launching him into rebar spikes, which is less impressive than the things you've been doing from minute one. About twenty seconds later he taunts you because he's not actually dead. His generic sci fi army guys throw you out of the ship, and you fight through more goons for fifteen minutes and act like a sadsack in the escape pod, but don't worry, you can get revenge in the nonexistent sequel.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The biggest problem with Code Vein is that enemies have terrible tells which is kind of important in a game where avoiding enemy attacks is the biggest part of the combat. I thought it was just sort of a B- game all around.

Big Mad Drongo posted:

This is fair. Even as a fan of the series, I thank whoever's listening every day that Dark Souls mechanics haven't crept into every game ever made like some people think they should.

Gonna disagree here about thinking From is worse than Hitler being "fair".

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

End boss Of SGaG* posted:

The last quarter of Bulletstorm is just not worth playing, which is a shame because it was kind of fun. There was only one "real" boss in the game so they resort to throwing you in small rooms with increasing numbers of minibosses, and the last weapon is an inaccurate stake gun when you already have remote control sniper bullets. But the worst is that you're following the dickhead racist general who never shuts up for a minute. He betrays you and fucks you over, and even though you have him dead to rights multiple times, he pulls some lame infighting trick on your partners (which sort of makes sense because your characters are dumbasses). Then he somehow beats your cyborg friend in a fistfight, and you 'kill' him in a QTE by launching him into rebar spikes, which is less impressive than the things you've been doing from minute one. About twenty seconds later he taunts you because he's not actually dead. His generic sci fi army guys throw you out of the ship, and you fight through more goons for fifteen minutes and act like a sadsack in the escape pod, but don't worry, you can get revenge in the nonexistent sequel.
yeah I put off the game for years because I knew about this, enjoyed my time with it immensely when I got around to it and then this bit annoyed me just as much as I thought it would

one day I will personally execute the writers of every first-instalment story that ends in a sequel hook that is in no way a sure bet

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

RareAcumen posted:

I've been thinking about picking up Mario Kart 8 Deluxe for months but I don't wanna get the game and then hey look, new Mario Kart coming out in August.

I misread the last bit and was all :aaaaa:
I do hope they have 9 out sometime in the foreseeable future though. MK8 is my fave kart race by a very long shot, but the Deluxe release was kinda meh if you played the original to death like me, I like the additions but it felt like it deserved more like 50% more new tracks or something to be worth a full release.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

End boss Of SGaG* posted:

The first hour or so is a really poor opener, too. Everything in between is solid gold, but it doesn't give a good first, or last, impression.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I'm quite liking my relaxed jaunt through Assassin's Creed: Odyssey, but what bugs the hell out of me is the fact that I can run into a fort, fight off a hundred guys, complete every objective, and then some rear end in a top hat bounty hunter comes along and gets a lucky shot, kills me, and suddenly I need to do all of it again because i didn't actually leave the fort to activate autosave. Also I'm like half a kilometre away, when the save was last triggered.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Uncharted: The Lost Legacy is a short and sweet game where the two female main characters overcomes their difference and become a kick-rear end duo. Then Sam Drake shows up and gently caress up the dynamic. He adds nothing to the story or gameplay and is a general pain in the rear end. And while the main characters are indian and african they are still portrayed by white actresses. Which is some bullshit.

Van Kraken
Feb 13, 2012

OutOfPrint posted:

The Cathedral is by far the worst map in the game, and of course it's the longest, too. Its Anor Londo by way of the dungeon designers of the Tales series, nothing but dead ends, ind jumps, and right angles spanning four distinct elevations.

I genuinely like Code Vein (I'm also a weirdo who thinks DS3 was the best one), but goddamn the map design is trash and the Cathedral level is one of the worst I've seen outside of shovelware.

I looked this up and aaaAAAAAAAAA!

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Van Kraken posted:

I looked this up and aaaAAAAAAAAA!

For scale, those narrow walkways are wide enough for two characters side by side, but not enough for three.

Also, the game takes place in a post apocalyptic world at about a WWI tech level. The in game lore is that the Cathedral sort of just grew out of a major site from said apocalypse. The designers knew it didn't fit and made up an excuse to put it in anyway.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

OutOfPrint posted:

For scale, those narrow walkways are wide enough for two characters side by side, but not enough for three.

Also, the game takes place in a post apocalyptic world at about a WWI tech level. The in game lore is that the Cathedral sort of just grew out of a major site from said apocalypse. The designers knew it didn't fit and made up an excuse to put it in anyway.

To be fair, the other sites are as batshit as this is. The game is basically pretty fine right up until you start going to those specific locations, then suddenly you go to a frozen blizzard mountain that even the characters say shouldn't exist, that lovely cathedral, a city that's perpetually on fire and also underground, and another different cathedral made out of floating towers straight out of Kingdom Hearts.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

I'm going to have a lot of fun anyway but I just bought the Halo pack on steam. Its great I love it but you have to unlock the various campaigns. I want to play Halo 1,2,3 but you have to start with reach to get to the other campaigns. Reach is fine. I bought the game though, just let me play the campaigns I want to play. I would have got around to reach, I don't know why its mandatory to play the other games.

I've had a bunch of fun so I'll also add a positive, dodging the non hit scan weapons makes you feel like a bad rear end. Its like bullet time but actually cool to play with.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Nuebot posted:

Dark Souls 2 is different from Dark Souls even on a mechanical level and it doesn't want you to slowly creep through its stages with high poise armor and a shield up constantly because that's the lamest way to play these games and even Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 agrees on that front, evidently. 2's approach was to make enemies more aggressive and set up a lot more traps and force players to be more reactive and proactive in dealing with enemies, rather than just slowly pick away at things from safety. Enemies don't usually, if ever, spawn in out of nowhere; they rush in through doors, hop down off of ledges or climb ladders. In most cases you have the means to see this and spot their positioning beforehand, and even if you don't - walking into a room, getting spotted once and swarmed will make it obvious that there's a bunch of dudes and that just bumbling through that open door leads to that if you don't watch out.

You are describing the exact opposite of reality. The answer to 90% of the game's garbage encounters, since its basic controls are terribly clunky and slow, was to just equip a bow or exploit magic or AI rubber banding. No one went into the gimp pit in harvest valley and thought I'll use the game's fluid combat to expertly weave through the enemies attacks, they stood on the drop ledge that lead to it and killed half the fuckers before even triggering them or just ran through the door they couldn't pass through and methodically killed them one by one.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Perfect Potato posted:

You are describing the exact opposite of reality. The answer to 90% of the game's garbage encounters, since its basic controls are terribly clunky and slow, was to just equip a bow or exploit magic or AI rubber banding.

This is something people can do in all three Dark Souls games though. 2 at least attempts to hide poison arrows behind a vendor you don't have permanent access to until about the halfway mark. It is not special in that you can abuse the AI and aggro design by standing at a distance and shooting enemies with arrows, from what I recall every game has at least one boss you can cheese a fight with in this fashion. If you choose not to engage with the mechanics of the game, that's on you and it seems strange to blame 2 when it's not outstanding in this way.

As for the "gimp pit" I assume you mean the poison fog room with the big guys that throw magic? Their magic will damage other enemies, so you can get them to kill each other pretty fast. Or you can just ignore them because they're slow and generally not worth the hassle.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
A Hat In Time: The boss fights are inconsistently long, and have no health bar.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Goofballs posted:

I'm going to have a lot of fun anyway but I just bought the Halo pack on steam. Its great I love it but you have to unlock the various campaigns. I want to play Halo 1,2,3 but you have to start with reach to get to the other campaigns. Reach is fine. I bought the game though, just let me play the campaigns I want to play. I would have got around to reach, I don't know why its mandatory to play the other games.

The other games in the collection aren’t available yet. They are releasing them one at a time. They started with Reach and then they are going for the chronological order.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Mierenneuker posted:

The other games in the collection aren’t available yet. They are releasing them one at a time. They started with Reach and then they are going for the chronological order.

oh, well. I guess that explains it. I just the package on steam and thought deal

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Goofballs posted:

oh, well. I guess that explains it. I just the package on steam and thought deal

Yeah it's marketed real weird on steam, which makes it unclear at a glance whether it's like a package deal or if you buy each game separate or what.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Mamkute posted:

A Hat In Time: The boss fights are inconsistently long, and have no health bar.

I think I'd've panicked way less on Mafia Boss' Dearh Wish challenges if I knew how many hits he'd have left. Trying to one-hit that fight was brutal.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I also thought the Hat in Time bosses were kinda dumb and aggravatingly made in comparison to the rest of the game. Lots of frustration and almost giving up, when the other toughest stuff in the game is usually just optional.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've beaten Looney Tunes Acme Arsenal and while overall I had fun, there are a few things that bugged me about it:

First of all, absolutely no cutscenes so all the plot was kind of in the background in a way that was hard to follow until I looked up the manual online, which explained what was actually going on.

The final boss didn't match at all what was teased, in the level before it the boss is seen through holes in the walls and it's absolutely massive, a level unto itself, but instead of a level climbing it to disable it, the boss fight with it has it suddenly be barely double Bugs Bunny's height so feels really lame.

The ending credits have a cute attempt at a joke where the characters are recording their lines in a blooper reel, but the audio is completely desynched so it spoils the jokes like Daffy losing his temper when the mic is cut after he flubs his lines.

Also the characters have inconsistent variation as their attacks evolve when you power up their melee attack. Bugs has a cute thing where he starts with a Banjo which becomes a guitar on levelling up, then finishes as a Double Bass, Daffy gets a visually appealing hammer than just gets bigger and more ornate, Foghorn Leghorn, who's attack is a southern-gentleman style boxing combo, gets boxing gloves as his second level which get bigger (starting bare-handed) and those are great, but then the other characters who don't have external weapons like Taz, Big Green furry Bugs and the Orange Hairy Monster get no visual change at all, just doing more damage, and that's a shame, given they found ways to upgrade Foghorn, who is also sans-weapon.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

And BioEnchanted wills another game into retroactive existence.

A really minor thing for Atelier Lydie & Suelle: the windup to attack an enemy on the field is just a little longer than I think it is, so if something is coming at me already sometimes I whiff and don’t get the ambush to go off.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Bussamove posted:

And BioEnchanted wills another game into retroactive existence.

I didn't even mention Foghorn Leghorn's levels. They are themed after WW1 with tanks and trench warfare and there are huge vehicles that just show up to get blown up by other vehicles, you get planes, tanks and submarines, and it's following a war called "The Great Chicken and egg War!" with amazing propaganda posters like a chicken foot crushing an egg with the caption "WE CAME FIRST!" or "THEY ARE ALL BAD EGGS!" and then at the end of the level Foghorn's ancestor that he's there to save (the characters are trying to prevent their ancestors being erased from history) is himself an Egg, calling into question the nature of war and how pointless the hate is given the both sides are really the same thing. This is a real thing that happens. There are even C4 and tripwire mines throughout the levels.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I know I said I liked Code Vein but man it is easy to find stuff that's annoying. Like how once the whole "successor" plot starts up the story gets extremely repetitive. Just once it would have been nice to run into a successor that was just some rando who wasn't connected to the main characters at all.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

It suffers from anime syndrome, yes. Everything has to be tied together with every character related like it's Charles the Second's family tree. Even the main cast who you think are like, just a collection of misfits who came together in a time of crises have secretly just been intertwined forever through disposable NPCs you eat the memories of. Also another issue I have with Code Vein is that much like Dark Souls; the Zweihander is just so objectively the best weapon that once you get it, there's no real reason to use anything else. And you get it super early on!

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The windup speed of the Zweihander is a compelling enough reason to not dismiss every other weapon.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

It has one of the highest attack values in the game and can have 100% physical block though. Truly it is the best offense and defense. Also actually using its regular attacks is a sucker's game, gotta get the sick like ten second long counter animations going for every single enemy.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Code Vein is really weird to me, because I've never heard anything good about it despite the fact that I know people like it (and I'm even friends with some of those people). It kinda feels like when it launched a bunch of people arbitrarily decided 'yes, this is a good game that I will be a fan of, this will be My Soulsborne Game', but rather than being polarizing like DS2 nobody but them actually gives a poo poo so they never have to defend it or come up with reasons to like it.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Arkham Knight

Story: Batman and his buddies constantly get in situations where someone would die, if the villains weren't so dramatic/merciful/stupid so whenever something drastic actually happens, it feels like "ok, writers decided to do that"

Nitpicking: Batmobile says "vrrrrrrrr" instead of "BROOM BROOOOOM!!!"

Bigger issue: There's much variation, but none of the gameplay mechanics is actually very fun (aka. Assassin's Creed Symptom)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It has a neat mix and match skill system where you unlock classes as the game progresses and then unlock skills in said class to use in any other class.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

It's a fairly solid middle of the road title. It does a few really dumb things - the cathedral is easily the worst level in the game, and the enemy variety is a bit dull (there's like five or six major types of enemies that get recycled over the course of the whole game) but it's not overly long and the boss fights are pretty neat. If all you wanted was "Like Dark Souls but simplified, faster and easier" then it's right up your alley. I can't imagine it really topping anyone's "Best of..." or "Favorite Game" charts, but if you like the genre and can get it on sale (I'd say like thirty bucks at best?) it's a decent title.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Airheart

1. In this arcadey topdown plane game there's a weapon that launches mines that home in on the nearest target, including you. Its range is short enough that the mines might start homing on you immediately if you shoot them anywhere besides right behind you

2. Sometimes enemy planes drop a box that can contain a temporary powerup that switches your gun with some of the weapons you can buy/build between runs. this includes said mine launcher

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Perfect Potato posted:

You are describing the exact opposite of reality. The answer to 90% of the game's garbage encounters, since its basic controls are terribly clunky and slow, was to just equip a bow or exploit magic or AI rubber banding. No one went into the gimp pit in harvest valley and thought I'll use the game's fluid combat to expertly weave through the enemies attacks, they stood on the drop ledge that lead to it and killed half the fuckers before even triggering them or just ran through the door they couldn't pass through and methodically killed them one by one.

on the contrary, you can kill every enemy and every boss with two caestuses. 2 is the only game in the series to make punching both viable and incredibly fun, so it's the best.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Yakuza 5

I kidnapped a man to get information. The plan went smoothly we grabbed him and absolutely no one noticed somehow. We have him at our mercy in the sewers. He offers the information willingly but not here. We need to go somewhere else. So we go to some building with giant No More Heroes 2 final boss sized windows instead.

The beginning of the game is Daigo and the boss of another Yakuza organization having a discussion about moving venues because the one they had set up for them seemed like a death trap because it was A: In the middle of the city B: Lined with massive windows C: Absolutely stuffed with exits, so if say, the police were to raid them, they'd never be able to block all the exits on their own. So we leave the sewers, an incredibly difficult place to be sniped to go somewhere else where people have a chance to get shot.

The game says that they left your player character alive because there's work they need them to do for the rest of their plan so at least this incident makes sense but man they should really just shoot you instead of whoever's giving you info.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I decided to give They Came From the Skies a go on PS2 and it just proved that I am absolutely hopeless at flight sims. As soon as enemies start moving around and firing back I have a hell of a time trying to get a bead on them and it's very frustrating. It's a shame because it's an interesting premise, WW2 era airforce comes in contact with alien invaders via classic style UFOs. Apparently in later missions you can pilot some of the UFOs, but I'm not anywhere close to getting to that part.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Kennel posted:

Arkham Knight

Story: Batman and his buddies constantly get in situations where someone would die, if the villains weren't so dramatic/merciful/stupid so whenever something drastic actually happens, it feels like "ok, writers decided to do that"

Nitpicking: Batmobile says "vrrrrrrrr" instead of "BROOM BROOOOOM!!!"

Bigger issue: There's much variation, but none of the gameplay mechanics is actually very fun (aka. Assassin's Creed Symptom)

I absolutely love all the Batman Arkham games, including Knight, and I didn't even mind the batmobile except they just had so drat much of it.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

I absolutely love all the Batman Arkham games, including Knight, and I didn't even mind the batmobile except they just had so drat much of it.

I actually like zipping around the streets in the Batmobile, the handing model is really fun and and the destruction physics are awesome. But putting it right at the core of the game was a big gently caress up. I hated the big GCPD tank showdown. Felt like the opposite of what I want a Batman game to be.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Cleretic posted:

Code Vein is really weird to me, because I've never heard anything good about it despite the fact that I know people like it (and I'm even friends with some of those people). It kinda feels like when it launched a bunch of people arbitrarily decided 'yes, this is a good game that I will be a fan of, this will be My Soulsborne Game', but rather than being polarizing like DS2 nobody but them actually gives a poo poo so they never have to defend it or come up with reasons to like it.

The combat feels pretty good, and since that's the bulk of the game, it's overall not bad. It just has a lot of design flaws that other devs learned to avoid a decade ago.

I genuinely like the mix and match class system, and the combat moves get ridiculous without getting into Platinum territory, which would work against the overall feel of the game. It separates itself enough from the rest of the Dark Souls clones to carve out a unique identity for itself. For me, it's solidly in the "I'll play this again in a couple of years and still be satisfied," camp.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

BioEnchanted posted:

I decided to give They Came From the Skies a go on PS2 and it just proved that I am absolutely hopeless at flight sims. As soon as enemies start moving around and firing back I have a hell of a time trying to get a bead on them and it's very frustrating. It's a shame because it's an interesting premise, WW2 era airforce comes in contact with alien invaders via classic style UFOs. Apparently in later missions you can pilot some of the UFOs, but I'm not anywhere close to getting to that part.

I think the most common mistake people make with flight sims is trying to aggressively pursue enemies. You always end up close but unable to actually keep the enemies on the screen for more than a second, and it’s super disorienting. It’s better to create some distance and take a more methodical approach

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Yeah, my experience with games like War Thunder have taught me that if you get into a close range turn fight (where people just turn in circles trying to get behind each other) you’ll just get destroyed.

Try and kill the targets in passes and if you don’t get them the first time try and set up for another one or go for a pass on a different target.