Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Fuligin posted:

Dungeon Siege owned, and i wish arpgs had followed more in its vein instead of all turning into frictionless number crunch skinner boxes

I just remember it being insanely dull

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

The Dungeon Siege games are a couple of bucks on Fanatical at the moment. I had the first two back in the day, but never got around to finishing them. Picked up 2 after the talk about it last page, and it's a trip down memory lane. Thanks! :)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Champions: Return to Arms is still the best ARPG

Especially if you play Shadow Knight and puke on everyone

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

fappenmeister posted:

The Dungeon Siege games are a couple of bucks on Fanatical at the moment. I had the first two back in the day, but never got around to finishing them. Picked up 2 after the talk about it last page, and it's a trip down memory lane. Thanks! :)

1 was good, 2 was OK.
We'll just forget they even made a 3.
Youtube has videos on exactly why 3 was such a shitshow.
All political if I recall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmGhIRqq4VQ

OgNar fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Feb 23, 2020

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Does dungeon seige 2 work decently on A: windows 10, and B: at 2560x1440 resolution?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Zereth posted:

Does dungeon seige 2 work decently on A: windows 10, and B: at 2560x1440 resolution?

I needed this guys files added to 1 to make it work right for my resolution. The WSGF stuff just plain didn't work for me.
Read through his info for 2 on this page to see if it'll work for you.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1165078098

e: also the addon for 1, Legends of Aranna was somehow disabled or something even though the Steam version still has all the files.
This guys downloadable exe files add it back and doesnt affect any steam recorded time played or anything. And is all quite safe, though scan it as you normally would.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Feb 23, 2020

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

sebmojo posted:

I just remember it being insanely dull
Same. No character skills, just clicking so your stats level up and you can do more clicking.

e: I like Dungeon Jeyne Kassynder Siege 3, though.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
There were apparently remakes of Ultima 5 and 6 done in the Dungeon Siege engine that I never got around to playing, but I always kind of wanted to. But now the engine is so old that I can't really go back to it and would rather play the original versions of the Ultima games instead.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
My (admittedly hazy) memory of Dungeon Siege is that it is a single linear path going from the farm you start with to the big bad lair, and that the party fights on its own and levels up on its own. The game basically plays itself.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yes, it's like watching a computer masturbate

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

My difficulty opinion is that it's totally fine to have multiple difficulties and it should be encouraged, but if a specific difficulty is important for the game (like the soulsbornes, or sekiro) then it's totally fine to just have one difficulty, since that's what the vision for the game is built around.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Dungeon Siege 1 was a great chatroom. In multiplayer you could just tag someone as follow and then one guy lead the group to keep the screensaver going while everyone else bullshit in chat.

Dungeon Siege 3 is a fine game crippled by mismanaged expectations. It appeared to be an ARPG challenger to Diablo etc. when it was a prototypical action loot game like Victor Vran and the multiplayer was similarly couch/close friend focused instead of drop in drop out loot smashing which was almost but not entirely unsupported by the multiplayer. It tried selling itself on a story with choices bullshit which it didn't live up to but Jeyne Kassynder Jeyne Kassynder Jeyne Kassynder was enough to keep on a pace, if not supply an entirely fine lore dump.

I realize it's 2020 and there's so many great games out it's hard to recommend a fine one. But the action loot game is pretty underserved in the front of story and someone looking for more Victor Vran or Gauntlet to play on the couch with someone can pick up DS3 and be pleasantly surprised.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

emoticon posted:

So I've seen a bit of this since the whole Sekiro difficulty non-troversy, and aside from the mild grossness of some hot takes associating easy mode with the disabled or differently-abled because apparently they don't understand that wheelchair basketball isn't just leg basketball with easier rules, I think people who don't enjoy FromSoft games don't really "get" how difficulty changes the way the game feels.

(And that's fine! Video games are for everyone, but not every individual video game or book or movie is for everyone!)

But I think some people tend to sell the games short, like they think the people play it are just in it for hardcore gamer e-cred. Bloodborne is a really good Lovecraftian horror game because you don't know what anything does when you first encounter it, and that's scary. You're compelled to explore, not just for story reasons but to find little advantages to ease the difficulty, and yet you dread it because everything is potentially lethal, including the environment. Similarly, Dark Souls has this lugubrious, purgatorial feel, like you're exploring a dying hostile land, and a lot of that is conveyed mechanically through its difficulty.

Agree. Even the difficulty of the same FromSoft game or boss will vary from person to person because difficulty is not an objective thing. There's no standard template for designing difficulty. I mean, you can just halve enemy health across the board of course, but that could just lead to an unbalanced game for people playing on the lower difficulty.

Do you not see the dissonance between "the games have to be hard, because it's part of the atmosphere" and "difficulty is completely subjective"? If From were to add an Easy Mode to one of their games and people of a lower skill level still found it sufficiently challenging, then what difference would it make?

Look Sir Droids posted:

The difference between Soulsborne and Sekiro to me is that Dark Souls and Bloodborne give you ways to engage with and modify the difficulty. No difficulty settings needed because you can stats or weapon your way out of problems if needed. Sekiro essentially gives you one and only one approach to the game. It would lose nothing with difficulty settings. I find that kind of difficulty extremely boring.

I disagree about the other games not needing additional difficulty modification. While it's true that there are generally ways to overcome a challenge using the game's own mechanics against it, those mechanics themselves tend to be poorly explained, obfuscated, or just inscrutable. It all seems really simple and direct if you've internalized the system mastery aspect, but to absolute newbies it's just as frustrating and confusing as anything else. Also the idea that "well if you get stuck, you can always grind until your stats are enough to push over the boss blocking your progress" is particularly crappy. Very few people these days will stick with a game if the answer to their problem is "just grind until you win".

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Anyway, it's gatekeeping bullshit all the way down. Put an easy mode in all of 'em. Who cares.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

KUF2 is one of the most bizarre games I've played in a long long time. There are some things about it that are genuinely fun, but I've never seen a game lean so aggressively against its own strengths. Fighting in huge battles with your army spamming attacks 'dynasty warrior' style is fun, so lets spend the first 3 hours of the game making sure that almost never happens and take control away from the player half the time when it does. The MMO nonsense is almost parody level bad, with characters constantly giving you quests to 'go to so-and-so and tell them our plan' when so-and-so is literally standing right next to them. The story is complete gibberish, the voice acting is bad, the graphics aren't great, and the lip synching is non-existent so naturally the game forces an in-game cutscene on you about once every minute.

Damn Dirty Ape fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Feb 23, 2020

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Its nice to see this argument resurface after the Mount and Blade thread had a freak out that they made the AI more intelligent then "run forward and attack" and make them actually block and do footwork and feint. Which was optional.

My only assumption is that these people simply didn't exist during a time where difficulty was an option you could freely select, I know that isn't standard in games these days.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

John Murdoch posted:

Do you not see the dissonance between "the games have to be hard, because it's part of the atmosphere" and "difficulty is completely subjective"? If From were to add an Easy Mode to one of their games and people of a lower skill level still found it sufficiently challenging, then what difference would it make?

I disagree about the other games not needing additional difficulty modification. While it's true that there are generally ways to overcome a challenge using the game's own mechanics against it, those mechanics themselves tend to be poorly explained, obfuscated, or just inscrutable. It all seems really simple and direct if you've internalized the system mastery aspect, but to absolute newbies it's just as frustrating and confusing as anything else. Also the idea that "well if you get stuck, you can always grind until your stats are enough to push over the boss blocking your progress" is particularly crappy. Very few people these days will stick with a game if the answer to their problem is "just grind until you win".

Re: the game systems. This doesn’t totally cover your argument but that’s what Wikis are for.

As for grinding, yes no one will grind if you’re told hey go grind. But Souls games typically give you another direction to investigate if you get stuck on a boss. From has gotten worse about that as they go. Variety and multiple paths makes up for grinding. In Sekiro getting stuck on a boss and repeatedly failing on them is it’s own form of grinding. One that has minimal variety. If I gotta grind, I’d rather do the Souls version.

I feel like I should state I think Sekiro is a great game, it’s just very much not for me. To quote another poster, “Sekiro is the best game I’ve ever hated.”

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Since I just got all golds in Texas I get to fangirl Cook Serve Delicious 3 some more: I love how it handles difficulty so much? With menus being flexible you can choose to have max-difficulty foods and minimal holding stations and infinite prep stations.... or you can go the other way and have easy foods and so on.... and the way the game plays with this flexible difficulty is by restricting the menu in interesting ways "only breakfast foods" meaning you can pick between omelettes or breakfast burritos. Both are... I believe difficulty 4, but the choice between them lets you decide what you're better at. Or something like tamales vs sushi. Both require time-consuming thoughtful prep, but tamales are a million times easier for me.

Or a given level mandates at least 8 prep stations, but it's all difficulty 2-3 foods. Or any mixture of the above, so levels are difficult, but not repetitive. And with upgrades and prep station toggles you can sometimes remove a level demanding you to do king potatoes, and you can instead take five extra prep stations instead.

I expect things will get a lot tougher as more level packs are released, but what's there is delightful because it's demanding while still being open to someone who isn't great at [x] foods. And then there are the insane cheevo challenges which are purposely insanely hard, but also totally optional.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Look Sir Droids posted:

Re: the game systems. This doesn’t totally cover your argument but that’s what Wikis are for.

As for grinding, yes no one will grind if you’re told hey go grind. But Souls games typically give you another direction to investigate if you get stuck on a boss. From has gotten worse about that as they go. Variety and multiple paths makes up for grinding. In Sekiro getting stuck on a boss and repeatedly failing on them is it’s own form of grinding. One that has minimal variety. If I gotta grind, I’d rather do the Souls version.

I feel like I should state I think Sekiro is a great game, it’s just very much not for me. To quote another poster, “Sekiro is the best game I’ve ever hated.”
My ideal "easy mode" for Sekiro would be some kind of deathless multiplier system where you can never die (well, maybe by plummeting into a pit or something), but you still are incentivized not to get hit by losing score multipliers or accuracy rating, like No-Fail Mode in Rock Band. Especially since Sekiro gets touted as a rhythm game so often. I would never entertain the idea of playing Rock Band without No-Fail Mode, because the idea that "dying" is an integral part of Rock Band's game mechanic is absurd to me. If I gently caress up non-stop from beginning to end and get a final score of 18%, isn't that enough negative feedback to keep me from feeling "undeserved satisfaction" or whatever the gently caress it is the gatekeepers of the world think easy modes will cause? If I blunder my way all the way through Sekiro and see that my total game score was 8%, but in exchange at least I get to see the final boss die by my own hand, that feels like a fair tradeoff in the granted vs. earned payoff ratio.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Look Sir Droids posted:

As for grinding, yes no one will grind if you’re told hey go grind. But Souls games typically give you another direction to investigate if you get stuck on a boss. From has gotten worse about that as they go. Variety and multiple paths makes up for grinding.
Sekiro does that, though - past the first boss the game is very open-ended and you can hunt for health upgrades, explore more areas and tackle different bosses. Yes, it will expect you to learn the boss you're stuck on - but it also gives you plenty of space to practice while still finding out new things. It also helps that every boss you beat makes other bosses easier by means of a damage upgrade.
You'll still have to learn the boss' tells and patterns eventually, but this sounds like you're pretending it is a linear game.

e: Hell, there even is a way to grind the attack upgrades specifically, it is just located fairly late in the game.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Feb 23, 2020

Orv
May 4, 2011

Volte posted:

My ideal "easy mode" for Sekiro would be some kind of deathless multiplier system where you can never die (well, maybe by plummeting into a pit or something), but you still are incentivized not to get hit by losing score multipliers or accuracy rating, like No-Fail Mode in Rock Band. Especially since Sekiro gets touted as a rhythm game so often. I would never entertain the idea of playing Rock Band without No-Fail Mode, because the idea that "dying" is an integral part of Rock Band's game mechanic is absurd to me. If I gently caress up non-stop from beginning to end and get a final score of 18%, isn't that enough negative feedback to keep me from feeling "undeserved satisfaction" or whatever the gently caress it is the gatekeepers of the world think easy modes will cause? If I blunder my way all the way through Sekiro and see that my total game score was 8%, but in exchange at least I get to see the final boss die by my own hand, that feels like a fair tradeoff in the granted vs. earned payoff ratio.

I'm going to phrase this as completely neutrally as I can because I don't fundamentally disagree that everyone should be able to play every game, but I think this particular case is a poor example because the interplay between a death state and the tension of Sekiro's mechanics is fairly necessary. While I don't think something like pruning boss/enemy move sets or turning down attack frequency, things like that, would go amiss, not being able to die in Sekiro at all would basically just turn the game into a movie where you press R1 for a few hours, even with a rhythm game-like score system.

Granted I do not have a better option for an easy mode system, aside from the mentioned just toning everything down in aggression/damage.

E: I guess my other end of this is a real philosophical rabbit hole of "At what point would you be happier just looking up the cinematics on youtube instead of playing a non-game" but I dunno that also feels somewhat gatekeeper-y and wildly subjective.

Orv fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Feb 23, 2020

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Orv posted:

not being able to die in Sekiro at all would basically just turn the game into a movie where you press R1 for a few hours, even with a rhythm game-like score system.
That's already what it is, it's just that you have to watch the same scene over and over again

Orv
May 4, 2011
Can't really agree with that premise.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Perhaps people would like Soulsborne games more if they were to get good

(I gave up on Sekiro myself tbqh)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Soul Glo posted:

Perhaps people would like Soulsborne games more if they were to get good

(I gave up on Sekiro myself tbqh)

The trouble with getting good is that it takes time, practice, patience, and so on. I made it a decent way into Nioh before the difficulty rose up past what I was willing to practice for.

And sometimes people just don't want to put effort into games. Which is fine!

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I hate to be that guy, but Sekiro, and the Dark souls series has whole, forces you to play by it's rules until you understand the game, and as soon as you understand and something clicks, thats when you can fold the game over your knee.

Just play the game and figure it out. It's not some roguelite where you're punished by lovely luck.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

anilEhilated posted:

Sekiro does that, though - past the first boss the game is very open-ended and you can hunt for health upgrades, explore more areas and tackle different bosses. Yes, it will expect you to learn the boss you're stuck on - but it also gives you plenty of space to practice while still finding out new things. It also helps that every boss you beat makes other bosses easier by means of a damage upgrade.
You'll still have to learn the boss' tells and patterns eventually, but this sounds like you're pretending it is a linear game.

e: Hell, there even is a way to grind the attack upgrades specifically, it is just located fairly late in the game.

IIRC you only get health and damage upgrades by beating bosses, so exploration doesn't help you one bit. If that changes late game, that's just well, too late. And yes, the world was open early on, but it got real small to me after beating the bull.

The lack of exploring or the world in general giving you any kind of help just made me think they should have made a boss rush game.

Orv posted:

I'm going to phrase this as completely neutrally as I can because I don't fundamentally disagree that everyone should be able to play every game, but I think this particular case is a poor example because the interplay between a death state and the tension of Sekiro's mechanics is fairly necessary. While I don't think something like pruning boss/enemy move sets or turning down attack frequency, things like that, would go amiss, not being able to die in Sekiro at all would basically just turn the game into a movie where you press R1 for a few hours, even with a rhythm game-like score system.

Granted I do not have a better option for an easy mode system, aside from the mentioned just toning everything down in aggression/damage.

E: I guess my other end of this is a real philosophical rabbit hole of "At what point would you be happier just looking up the cinematics on youtube instead of playing a non-game" but I dunno that also feels somewhat gatekeeper-y and wildly subjective.

Sekiro difficulty would be easily solved with a sliding scale that increases player damage and/or makes enemies weaker. You literally lose nothing. The difficulty in Sekiro is the repetition. To beat a boss, you have to successfully do X so many times. For an easier mode, just make me have to do X fewer times. I still learn the systems and how the game wants me to play, but the game doesn't turn in to doing everything perfect or an endurance run.

I have this on PC. I could mod it in. But I don't care to since it's an easy fix that should have been there is the first place. But Miyamoto's artistic vision...:flaccid:

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I love the Souls games but after about 12 hours into Sekiro I got to this valley thing with lots of bridges and open cliffs and I had to fight this dude while a bunch of other dudes rained arrows down onto me and I just got tired and went and played The Witcher 3 or something I think.

That said when you are in the zone and parrying and dodging a boss' attack pattern perfectly after he has pushed your poo poo in like ten times in a row you feel amazing.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Fargin Icehole posted:

I hate to be that guy, but Sekiro, and the Dark souls series has whole, forces you to play by it's rules until you understand the game, and as soon as you understand and something clicks, thats when you can fold the game over your knee.

Just play the game and figure it out. It's not some roguelite where you're punished by lovely luck.

There are plenty of fights in those games that are difficult even when you understand the game

Orv
May 4, 2011

Look Sir Droids posted:

Sekiro difficulty would be easily solved with a sliding scale that increases player damage and/or makes enemies weaker. You literally lose nothing. The difficulty in Sekiro is the repetition. To beat a boss, you have to successfully do X so many times. For an easier mode, just make me have to do X fewer times. I still learn the systems and how the game wants me to play, but the game doesn't turn in to doing everything perfect or an endurance run.

I have this on PC. I could mod it in. But I don't care to since it's an easy fix that should have been there is the first place. But Miyamoto's artistic vision...:flaccid:

Yeah I have no problem with that kind of thing.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
The idea that dying and rote repetition are necessary to even qualify as a game is absurd. That mechanic comes from the arcade days where dying was the point where you put in another quarter. If Sekiro had a no-fail mode, that doesn't mean I wouldn't replay every single battle over and over again until I perfected it. Give me the means to have fun and I will have fun. That's what I'm here for after all. Dark Souls is probably my all-time favourite game but it's got nothing on the amount of fun I had as a child playing "the floor is lava". But if I'm understanding correctly, that was actually a movie since you can't lose.

Fargin Icehole posted:

Sekiro is not like that. It's a game about technical perfection and manual dexterity, which Dark Souls is most certainly not. I played the entire game and at no point did it "click" like the Souls games do. I certainly got better at it but every battle required about the same amount of memorization and muscle memory. Every hard-won battle, rather than feeling like a satisfying coming-together of all the things I've been learning so far, felt like another hour or two I devoted to learning a very specific skill that I'll never use again.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Look Sir Droids posted:

IIRC you only get health and damage upgrades by beating bosses, so exploration doesn't help you one bit. If that changes late game, that's just well, too late. And yes, the world was open early on, but it got real small to me after beating the bull.
You are, in fact, not remembering correctly. (pieces of) Health upgrades can be found on minibosses or just hidden in the world and you can even buy a couple.
And, funnily enough, just after the bull is where the game world opens up - at that point, you have access to at least three bosses, each at the end of an area bigger than the outskirts you traveled through.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Feb 23, 2020

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Volte posted:

Sekiro is not like that. It's a game about technical perfection and manual dexterity, which Dark Souls is most certainly not. I played the entire game and at no point did it "click" like the Souls games do. I certainly got better at it but every battle required about the same amount of memorization and muscle memory. Every hard-won battle, rather than feeling like a satisfying coming-together of all the things I've been learning so far, felt like another hour or two I devoted to learning a very specific skill that I'll never use again.

Sekiro is like that but it also requires more technical skill on average than a souls games

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

anilEhilated posted:

You are, in fact, not remembering correctly. Health upgrades can be found on minibosses or just hidden in the world.
And, funnily enough, just after the bull is where the game world opens up - at that point, you have access to at least three bosses, each at the end of an area bigger than the outskirts you traveled through.

I count the minibosses as bosses. And you needed four health upgrade mats to upgrade. Exploring alone wouldn't provide much benefit on its own and some of th minibosses were tougher than actual bosses.

I played for 20-25 hours and lost patience with that poo poo.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Based on how Dead Rising is based on a guy dying and retrying all the time, it relies on skill, knowledge of game mechanics, and picking the right equipment, I declare it to be a soulslike.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Volte posted:

The idea that dying and rote repetition are necessary to even qualify as a game is absurd. That mechanic comes from the arcade days where dying was the point where you put in another quarter. If Sekiro had a no-fail mode, that doesn't mean I wouldn't replay every single battle over and over again until I perfected it. Give me the means to have fun and I will have fun. That's what I'm here for after all. Dark Souls is probably my all-time favourite game but it's got nothing on the amount of fun I had as a child playing "the floor is lava". But if I'm understanding correctly, that was actually a movie since you can't lose.

So if you're willing to perfect every boss fight then why not just do it normally? No boss has an arduous path to return to it.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Orv posted:

So if you're willing to perfect every boss fight then why not just do it normally? No boss has an arduous path to return to it.
Because being punished for a mistake with "okay go back and start from the top" is the most infuriating poo poo when I'm trying to learn something. You think pianists learn complex pieces by only ever starting at the very beginning, and starting over every time they make a mistake? If it did have a no-fail mode then I'm all for a "recital" mode where you actually have to pull it off in one continuous session perfectly, but that's not the way I want to learn.

edit: I mean really, even just having a practice mode that's outside of the main game but you can grind on the bosses to get better at them would be a huge step forward.

Volte fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Feb 23, 2020

Orv
May 4, 2011
No I don't but I also wouldn't really compare pianists to playing even a technically complex video game either. I guess I just don't really get your viewpoint, but it's fine.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Look Sir Droids posted:

Exploring alone wouldn't provide much benefit on its own and some of th minibosses were tougher than actual bosses.
See that's a pretty interesting claim to make when it's obvious you didn't do any of the actual exploring. And of course there is another aspect to it - the enemies you run into also prepare you for the boss fights. At that point nothing prevents you from taking off in a completely different direction and come back to the areas you had trouble with while more powerful.

e: I get it, the game isn't for everyone, you did not enjoy it and that's fair. What isn't fair is that a lot of the objections you're making is blatantly untrue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Champions: Return to Arms is still the best ARPG

Especially if you play Shadow Knight and puke on everyone

I was confused about this until I looked it up and realized this is the sequel to Champions of Norrath, the Everquest ARPG, and that also I have it and played it to completion with three of my friends back in the day. It was a ton of fun; I played as the wood elf ranger because the other characters were taken, so I got really good at shooting enemies from far away and making the screen pull all the way back. I looked up a video of it, and the sound effects immediately took me back.