Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
wake up sheeple, the fox is coming

why does my phone recognize the word sheeple?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

The Management posted:

wake up sheeple, the fox is coming

what is "words not to put in the google box"?

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Gazpacho posted:

remind me what firefox's unique end-user value proposition was at any point in the past?

At one time it was the stripped-down lightweight browser that didn't have all those worthless features that bloated IE.

Then over time people realized they wanted those features after all.

And then they hired UX people who couldn't stop loving with the interface, and here we are.

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

wake me up inside

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

lamers rise up

pram
Jun 10, 2001

we live in an internet society

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
The Beast adopted new raiment and studied the ways of Time and Space and Light and the Flow of energy through the Universe. From its studies, the Beast fashioned new structures from oxidised metal and proclaimed their glories. And the Beast’s followers rejoiced, finding renewed purpose in these teachings.

from The Book of Mozilla, 11:14

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Presto posted:

At one time it was the stripped-down lightweight browser that didn't have all those worthless features that bloated IE.

lol phoenix/firefox had lots of upsides, but it was never *lighter* than ie. it was a brutally cut down version of the gigantic festering mass of xul that was mozilla, and that cutting was just barely enough to make it runnable on high-end hardware.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

lol if your browser doesnt include an irc client and wysiwyg html editor

and a splash screen for when you're waiting for it to launch

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i remember faster startup times being a specific selling point of phoenix firebird firefox

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Progressive JPEG posted:

i remember faster startup times being a specific selling point of phoenix firebird firefox

faster than the minutes of the then-current mozilla milestones yeah. you could also get into some fine slashdot arguments about how ackchyually firefox was very fast to start and ie only beat it because of highly immoral windows integration trickery

to not incite something stupid: firefox was still great and improved greatly on both mozilla and ie, in that it was lighter than the former and had more modern features than the latter.

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Jan 21, 2020

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

akadajet posted:

It was called Pheonix, and when it came out it was lightyears faster than IE was at the time. Then the people who made BIOS chips got all pissy and they changed their name to Firebird. Then Pontiac got all pissy and they changed their name to Firefox and made a logo of a fox yiffing the Earth. They've been an organization of furries from that point on.

Pretty sure they change their name from Firebird because of the database software Firebird, not because of Pontiac.

Edit: Already mentioned by the Management

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

so is the joke that everyone is deliberately ignoring apps/extensions or did everyone genuinely forget that used to be a big deal? or am i the idiot hellfucker?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

PIZZA.BAT posted:

so is the joke that everyone is deliberately ignoring apps/extensions or did everyone genuinely forget that used to be a big deal? or am i the idiot hellfucker?

i mean, that *eventually* became a thing, but day 1 obviously firefox not only had a lot fewer plugins/extensions than ie, but it also kneecapped a bunch of the xul/xbl stuff in mozilla, so it was itself seen as abandoning the glorious webtech-as-a-rich-application future.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Firefox had two things going for it

1. tabs
2. popup blocker

eventually extensions and ad blockers made it even better, but remember that the 2000-era web was full of horrible popups that IE would happily throw in your face

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

The Management posted:

1. tabs
pffft ibrowse on amiga did it long before Firefox :colbert:

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

The Management posted:

1. tabs
2. popup blocker

eventually extensions and ad blockers made it even better, but remember that the 2000-era web was full of horrible popups that IE would happily throw in your face

it also helped that all the freeware targeted IE for its "addon bars" so firefox was free of that

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

The Management posted:

1. tabs
2. popup blocker

I still see popunders occasionally. It's strange that browsers still support that kind of stuff.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

The Management posted:

1. tabs
2. popup blocker

lol I remember installing a stand-alone pop up blocker program for IE

then I discovered opera :allears:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

remember when ie finally got tabs in version 7 but the absolute madmen at microsoft put the tabs at the top of the window, above the address bar, and all we technically sophisticated people just laughed and laughed until they changed it? :smug:

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

merging the address and search fields was a mistake

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Soricidus posted:

well I’m still not going to use the browser made by the surveillance company, the browser that doesn’t run on most of my computers, or the browser made by the attention marble company, so I guess I’ll stick with the dying ’fox to the end

post the attention economy post

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

remember when ie finally got tabs in version 7 but the absolute madmen at microsoft put the tabs at the top of the window, above the address bar, and all we technically sophisticated people just laughed and laughed until they changed it? :smug:

no, but I remember when safari had top tabs in a beta release a few years ago and it was great. I knew the safari program manager and asked her to bring them back but she said “they” wouldn’t let her do it.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

The Management posted:

enter shaggar stage left

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Jenny Agutter posted:

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

The Management posted:

1. tabs
2. popup blocker

tabs were incredible. I was so sick of right clicking and selecting new window in IE6

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

my stepdads beer posted:

tabs were incredible. I was so sick of right clicking and selecting new window in IE6

shift+click did it too iirc

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

theadder posted:

enter shaggar stage left

exit, stage right wing even

timick
Apr 7, 2016

Lots of windows users self owning in this thread.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
I remember using some hacky shell extension back in the IE days that would add tabs, popup blocking and other advanced features. But can't remember what it's name was; basically K-Meleon, but for IE.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Firefox is the least bad current browser so I kinda hope we don't end up living in a world that's only lovely webkit browsers

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Lambert posted:

I remember using some hacky shell extension back in the IE days that would add tabs, popup blocking and other advanced features. But can't remember what it's name was; basically K-Meleon, but for IE.
there was maxthon, it was a trident based browser with all that.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Laslow posted:

there was maxthon, it was a trident based browser with all that.

Yep, it was Maxthon. Thanks!

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

i preferred opera, but i used firefox for the extensions

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome

BONGHITZ posted:

i used firefox for the extensions

this seems oddly familiar

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

BONGHITZ posted:

i preferred opera, but i used firefox for the extensions

I read it for the articles

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sweevo posted:

firefox is the least bad browser

and cutting a 1/3rd of the competition and the only part of the competition to give a poo poo about end users is bad

like, imagine a superior world where cyrix kept AMD and Intel in check

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

lol

Jenny Agutter posted:

the greatest mistake the world ever knew

separate fields is for computer nerds alone. no one else gives a poo poo.

u type u get u happy O K

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

personally i cant wait for mozilla and safari to die so that every browser is based on an advertising companies browser.

I'm honestly not sure which is worse. Windows when IE was 80% of market share, at least they were only using it to force their operating systems on people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
I think I'm okay with two bad browsers disappearing.