Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Nintendo character would you like to see in the next Soul Calibur game?
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 99 8.48%
Other 53 4.54%
jenna got milked 1015 86.98%
Total: 1167 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Brain: hey, games chat thread is talking about aerith a bunch but also about a dude who died trying to see if the earth is flat or not, why don't you try to say something funny

Me: Flat Aerith Theory

Brain: god dammit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

stev posted:

Harley had a baby and that baby is Joker 2.0 and he cut his face off. Also Batman is old.

I mean the 100% clear true ending, Knightfall. Bruce having revealed to be Batman appears to blow himself up along with his mansion. Then Nightmare Bat appears

It's a weeeeeiiird loving ending.

Hwurmp posted:

just gotta go full-on Batman Beyond

:hmmyes:

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Hwurmp posted:

just gotta go full-on Batman Beyond

It's either this, a Nightwing game, or they're going to do the Damien Wayne thing.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Infinitum posted:

I mean the 100% clear true ending, Knightfall. Bruce having revealed to be Batman appears to blow himself up along with his mansion. Then Nightmare Bat appears

It's a weeeeeiiird loving ending.

I think they gave themselves carte blanche to do whatever they want for a sequel (assuming they've spent the last five years making a Batman game and not something else). There's no reason they can't just say Bruce faked his death and came back a few years later, using poo poo like fear toxins to make people think he's Batman's ghost or some poo poo.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Batman of Zur-En-Arkham

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/wCU9TU3.mp4

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

FirstAidKite posted:

Brain: hey, games chat thread is talking about aerith a bunch but also about a dude who died trying to see if the earth is flat or not, why don't you try to say something funny

Aerith is pretty clearly not flat

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Unfortunately my FFVII replay was cut short by some sort of save state bug

Obviously I didnt use actual save points because I am an idiot.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
I’m squinting through a hangover and read it as fiat aerith and there’s definitely cryptocurrency in the world of FF7 in my mind.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

I’m squinting through a hangover and read it as fiat aerith and there’s definitely cryptocurrency in the world of FF7 in my mind.

the Mako Reactors were just bitcoin mining this whole time

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

FirstAidKite posted:

The earth isn't flat, but that dude is

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Gripweed posted:

The earth isn't flat, but that dude is

Truly, he died as he lived.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

WaltherFeng posted:

I need your help thread:

AeriFlosh

https://www.tor.com/2013/04/22/final-fantasy-7-death-of-aeris/

quote:

It is cold, and snow is falling. You run, like you always do, because time is of the essence. You’re on the Northern continent, beneath the forgotten capital of the Ancients—a long-lost culture who understood makoenergy as the Shinra Electric Power Company never will. The Ancients possessed profound wisdom about the life force of the planet… but you’re not here for ancient wisdom. You’re here for personal reasons. You’re here because of her.

She is the Flower Girl. You know her as Aeris, or Aerith, or perhaps by another name (in my version of this story, she is Flosh). She is young, beautiful, and descended from the Ancients, connected to their wisdom by a bond of the spirit. Aeris was supposed to be under your protection, but she left in the night. She might be in danger. You mean to get her back.

You enter a large, underground temple… and there she is, kneeling beside a pond, as beautiful as the day you met. Her pink dress, her stylish hair, her sweet smile, her heart full of love. Is she praying? Of course she is. What a beauty. You slowly approach, eager to reunite with her once more.

But you are not yourself today. Your hands are not your own. He is here. Trying to control you. He wants you to kill her. You know who I mean.

Sephiroth dresses in black and carries a wicked scimitar. He has awaited this moment with frightening sobriety, despite his burning madness. When you resist him, he decides to do the deed himself—and drops from the ceiling, that wicked blade in hand. What happens next will scar you for life—for the shocking crime that Sephiroth commits can never be forgiven.

If you’ve played Final Fantasy 7, you may still be reeling from the death of Aeris Gainsborough. Her murder, halfway through the game, ranks as one of the most stunning moments in video game history, a pivotal scene in what some would call the greatest RPG ever made. Even now, sixteen years later, I still get chills when I remember Aeris (well, Flosh) collapsing in my arms and dying. Her death resonates in my cells, like… well, likemako energy.

Let’s put this event in context. When FF7 hit the PlayStation in 1997, video games were nowhere near the storytelling sophistication of modern titles. (Even caring about a video game character was rare in the 1990s.) The closest thing to a Final Fantasy experience was TV—but modern serialized television had yet to be invented, and shows like Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead—in which the deaths of main characters are standard fare—were on nobody’s radar yet.

Suddenly, Final Fantasy 7 came along. The previous game in the series had been fairly complex from a storytelling point of view, but as the first RPG with 3D graphics and an enhanced soundtrack, Final Fantasy 7 set a new bar. The game pulled you in like no game ever had. How could you not get caught up in a game this beautiful, this intricate, this long? (When I finally escaped Midgar after infiltrating Shinra headquarters, I was certain the game was over. In truth I had finished the prologue.)

Aeris was the last person I expected to lose along the way. Cloud (the game’s spikey-haired protagonist) had a number of sidekicks, but Aeris was the most special. She was an Ancient. She had powers. She and Cloud had a unique relationship. And right from the beginning of the game, she had been introduced in a way that made players fall in love with her.

Sure, Tifa was the hot one. She had the long brown hair, the generous curves, the skimpy outfit that left little to the imagination. Tifa was sexy and tough yet emotionally vulnerable—a nice role model for a growing audience of female gamers, and a drool-worthy sidekick for the inevitable fanboys.

But Aeris… Aeris was different. She was sweet and pretty, an angel made flesh. She sold flowers for a living, and went to church. Aeris wasn’t the kind of girl you pinned up on your wall. She was the kind of girl you took home and married, and spent your life holding hands with by a pond.

Aeris was the one you were supposed to love. She captured your heart one gentle word at a time. And it worked. I really did love that girl.

Until Sephiroth murdered her.

Aeris’ death occurred less than halfway through the game (though by that point it had felt like a lifetime.) In the weeks that followed, I went on to complete many important tasks: bringing down Shinra, defeating the Emerald and Ruby Weapons, saving the world from destruction. But none of these was quite as epic as my pursuit of the game’s most rare and powerful item: the piece of materia known as Knights of the Round.

For those who haven’t played the game, it’s hard to overstate the work involved in obtaining Knights of the Round. First you have to breed Chocobos. (For the uninitiated: think giant chickens.) The way this works is, you run around the planet looking for the beasts; when you find one, you chase it, capture it, feed it special food, and take it to the race track at the Gold Saucer (an amusement park.) If you win enough races, your Chocobo’s ranking improves, at which point you take it to a farm that specializes in Chocobo-raising and breeding.

Breeding Chocobos is both a science and an art. The goal is to breed a blue Chocobo with a green Chocobo to create a black Chocobo, which can then be bred (after being raced and fed and raced again) with a so-called “amazing Chocobo,” to eventually produce the coveted Golden Chocobo. Describing the process like this, it sounds like it might take an hour. If memory serves, I skipped class for nearly a week to make it happen.

Once mounted on a Golden Chocobo, you could finally reach the most remote spot on the planet: a small rugged island in the northern sea. On that island, inside a cave, awaited Knights of the Round. Equipping this materia allowed you to summon thirteen consecutive medieval knights to slash your enemy to bits, one awesome 3D graphic at a time. In an era long before YouTube, the only way to even witness this amazing feat of magic was to breed a Golden Chocobo and obtain the materia yourself.

Why did I invest so much time in this mind-numbing quest? The answer is simple: because I loathed Sephiroth. He had killed my Flower Girl, and I was going to do whatever it took to kick his heartless rear end. Even if it meant getting up early. Even if it meant skipping a few meals. Raising those Chocobos wasn’t easy, but love never is. Such was the strange allure of Final Fantasy 7.

Eventually, I descended into the Northern Cave and unleashed my medieval knights on the evil man-in-black, and he was destroyed. Sephiroth died, vengeance was mine, and the game was over.

But in the final moments of the final sequence, Aeris returned. Not in the flesh, but in the spirit, watching over my characters as if her life force had merged with the life stream of the planet itself. In this moment—witnessing the gorgeous ending to a perfect game—I finally cried. And as the credits rolled, I uttered the words that millions of other gamers uttered that year:

“That was the best video game I’ve ever played.”

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Kinky Cookie Bunny posted:

I keep seeing kids complaining in roblox about getting scammed by trust trades.

A trust trade is literally someone you don't loving know comes up to you and say "hey do you wanna do a trust trade" and what it's supposed to be is you give them something really rare and valuable for nothing and then after the trade they'll trade you back something as valuable or twice as valuable and give you the item you gave them initially. Instead what happens is you give your poo poo to someone and they loving leave and then there are lots of complaints in chat about people getting scammed.

It's dumb!!

This is 100% of the kids who play the original co-op Fortnite. Non-stop kids scamming each other on open voice chat.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

u ?giev soj

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

If heaven is real and I get to spend 90,000 eternities doing everything I ever remotely wanted to do or explore in mortal life I will never play this game

e: or any jrpg

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Feb 23, 2020

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Kinky Cookie Bunny posted:

I keep seeing kids complaining in roblox about getting scammed by trust trades.

A trust trade is literally someone you don't loving know comes up to you and say "hey do you wanna do a trust trade" and what it's supposed to be is you give them something really rare and valuable for nothing and then after the trade they'll trade you back something as valuable or twice as valuable and give you the item you gave them initially. Instead what happens is you give your poo poo to someone and they loving leave and then there are lots of complaints in chat about people getting scammed.

It's dumb!!

Adults fall for the same thing when "Elon Musk" is giving away buttcoins. Some people never learn.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

https://youtu.be/55iTYdRDG4s

The marbula one, sponsored by big weed, started up recently. Anyone got a favorite roller?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/yungsnaku/status/1231042045273427968?s=20

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Arethilililia

Also Mad Mike was scum and is much nicer and empathetic character as Big Crater

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

https://twitter.com/HardDriveMag/status/1231425154758184962?s=20

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
JK Rowling more like LeaKy Bowelings!!!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

sharrrk posted:

What jrpg has the best party? I like the xenoblade chronicles crew the most, i think. They all rule and never stop feeling like they have a good reason to be traveling together. Any dialogue they get never feels forced, like how in some games there will be cutscenes where everyone in your party gets a line, and its just like one by one quips that are just written because they had to be. In xenoblade i never felt that, any lines they get feel natural to the conversation. Theyre just a really great crew

the tales of berseria party starts off not really liking each other that much but the six of them grow to become a lovable dysfunctional family all acting as weird parental figures to the child of the party. they're all really great and there isn't a weak link between the lot of them

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

the best jrpg party? you already are thinking of them. theyre in your head.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

the best jrpg party is when me and all my friends get together and run a bunch of jrpg discs through a muffin monster

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Stux posted:

the best jrpg party? you already are thinking of them. theyre in your head.

Whoa now, that looks like DDS1 and dreadlock guy there whose name Ive forgotten I remember being mechanically awful in that one since his weakness was status effects.

DDS1 and 2 need a rerelease, they my favorite turn based SMT games by basically an infinite margin

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

What does the player count for Fortnite: Save the World look like these days anyway, does Epic put any effort into maintaining that at all

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The PS2 SMT art style is pretty cool

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Songbearer posted:

If you want to really go obscure play Sacrifice and work under Persephone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VW9yneKLe-I

Sacrifice is such an interesting game. I could never beat it as a kid and back then I don't think I even really knew what was going on, besides summoning freaky monsters. Definitely a game I'd love to see revisited, haven't heard of anything like it since.

WaltherFeng posted:

I just realized after 20 years that Porco turned back human at the end of Porco Rosso while watching the film with my kids.

Wow, I didn't even realize he ever was a human. I just thought of him as permapig.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

bushisms.txt posted:

https://youtu.be/55iTYdRDG4s

The marbula one, sponsored by big weed, started up recently. Anyone got a favorite roller?

Green Ducks all the way

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Barudak posted:

Whoa now, that looks like DDS1 and dreadlock guy there whose name Ive forgotten I remember being mechanically awful in that one since his weakness was status effects.

DDS1 and 2 need a rerelease, they my favorite turn based SMT games by basically an infinite margin

all i know about dds is that the dreadlock guy is usually pretty bad but is indispensable for the superboss

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i still don't have a bug net in New Leaf and the snowlady is going to melt before i can get 3 snowflakes for her :(

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
I have entered Hell, wish me luck

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

WaltherFeng posted:

I need your help thread:

Late on this but the true chaos answer is “just hit done”.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Aeriola

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Dewgy posted:

Late on this but the true chaos answer is “just hit done”.

Cloud was sucked into a time loop and is now back at reactor 1 so you're not late at all!

More suggestions are welcome.

dO.Ob n.n's romance with Cloud was not to be in this universe.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

You named Cloud “Cloud”?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Jay Rust posted:

You named Cloud “Cloud”?

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

You named Cloud “Cloud”?

The real power move is naming him “Clad”, which was his official name in French initially, but they quickly decided that was a bad idea and newer editions name him “Cloud”.