Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

I've been driving a mk6 gti for the last few years, and just had mom ask me to drive her 08 mini s to get it some miles since she bought a new car. Holy poo poo that little thing is a rocket. Ride wise I vastly prefer the vw, but that little mini goes like hell. The interior is baffling and the ride is a bit hard, but that little bastard is fun as poo poo. I'd take my car for a long distance drive any day, but the mini is fun as gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

I finally managed to get one. :unsmith:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Solus posted:

Hell yeah!

Note that double tap+hold on unlock will roll down all four windows, if you have a bunch of stuff in your pockets and it’s raining this will be very relevant.

The front splitter is low enough to hit parking space curbs so figure out where to index when nosing into a space.

The TPMS takes about 40 continuous miles to calibrate.

You can get into the menus and adjust the lock and unlock lights and beeps, there are a lot of them by default.

You can adjust the trip odo to automatically reset at refueling.

The head unit is running Android and you can get it to the application launcher if you dig deep enough.

The slybrackets front plate mount will fit in the horn hole on the passenger side so you don’t have to drill your bumper. Edit: I’m too late. :smith:

If you suddenly get horrible squealing that lessens when you turn you probably have a rock stuck in the brake cover, mine loves to get gravel stuck at the top edge. You can easily remove it with a gloved hand.

No advice for driver assistance stuff, mine is old enough to not have any.

Midjack fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Feb 15, 2020

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Solus posted:

That’s a badass-looking ride. Is that the Type R?

I didn’t have one locally near me when I got my Veloster N (and didn’t want to look too hard anyway because I didn’t need to spend the extra $8K or so over what I got my N for!)

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

IllegallySober posted:

That’s a badass-looking ride. Is that the Type R?

I didn’t have one locally near me when I got my Veloster N (and didn’t want to look too hard anyway because I didn’t need to spend the extra $8K or so over what I got my N for!)
Yeah, 2019 Type R.

Midjack posted:

Hell yeah!

Note that double tap+hold on unlock will roll down all four windows, if you have a bunch of stuff in your pockets and it’s raining this will be very relevant.

The front splitter is low enough to hit parking space curbs so figure out where to index when nosing into a space.

The TPMS takes about 40 continuous miles to calibrate.

You can get into the menus and adjust the lock and unlock lights and beeps, there are a lot of them by default.

You can adjust the trip odo to automatically reset at refueling.

The head unit is running Android and you can get it to the application launcher if you dig deep enough.

The slybrackets front plate mount will fit in the horn hole on the passenger side so you don’t have to drill your bumper. Edit: I’m too late. :smith:

If you suddenly get horrible squealing that lessens when you turn you probably have a rock stuck in the brake cover, mine loves to get gravel stuck at the top edge. You can easily remove it with a gloved hand.

No advice for driver assistance stuff, mine is old enough to not have any.

Thanks for the advice! I'm taking delivery of it next week once they finish the re-regostrstion and servicing. I didn't know about the trip reset, I'll have to take a look.

It's second hand with 9000km on it (5000ish miles) and a year old. The Dude barely used it and had a vanity plate on it, and he kept it when he sold it back to Honda.(vanity plates done transfer with the car here) Which means it needs to get a brand new rego which might take a few days . It's also getting a full service, fresh brake pads/tyres and a complete inside and out cleaning job done by the dealer so I couldn't drive it away today. They threw in free servicing for the next 3 years. If I didn't know better I'd say something dodgy happened to it but I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth, They just not have sold enough this financial year or something.

Price was incredibly good for the KM's and it has the optional illuminated door garnish which is something I'd never buy myself but i"ll take it if it's there. I traded in my '18 Civic Sedan and got more than I expected on trade in value too

As for the front bumper licence plate, I'm actually okay with it mounted right in the front. It looks fine on this one and I don't think I've ever seen an offset plate here in NZ..

Driver assists aside from the usual traction control:
- Electronic Speed Limiter thing (I'm not sure if thats standard in non sensing editions?
- Cruise Control
- Lane Keep Assist
- Collision Avoidance

I'm genuinely going to miss the blindspot camera my sedan has. That thing was incredible

Solus fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Feb 15, 2020

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Solus posted:

welcome to the black hot hatch club

you car got dirty again while you were reading this

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

Midjack posted:

This happened on my ‘18 Civic Si ! Was just the worst sound ever - turned out to be a little pebble that looked like either black glass or obsidian.

Anyways, I have been considering trading it in for the R, but I don’t want to have to worry about the rubber band tires on 20” wheels - I’ve already popped 2 tires on my 18’s.
I have 17” rims and fatter tires for the snow, although I think the R takes 18’s as the smallest.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Voltage posted:

This happened on my ‘18 Civic Si ! Was just the worst sound ever - turned out to be a little pebble that looked like either black glass or obsidian.

Anyways, I have been considering trading it in for the R, but I don’t want to have to worry about the rubber band tires on 20” wheels - I’ve already popped 2 tires on my 18’s.
I have 17” rims and fatter tires for the snow, although I think the R takes 18’s as the smallest.

I have 18s on mine for snow.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

Ehud posted:

welcome to the black hot hatch club

you car got dirty again while you were reading this

The sacrifices we make for looking dope

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
It's been raining for three months straight, so my black car looks clean all the time, lucky me.

Rusty fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Feb 16, 2020

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

Midjack posted:

I have 18s on mine for snow.

How is the handling with 18’s ? I would most likely run that year round since I’m in the pothole ridden northeast.

Voltage fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Feb 16, 2020

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Voltage posted:

How is the handling with 18’s ? I would most likely run year round since I’m in the pothole ridden northeast.

It’s fine. I get a teeny bit of torque steer but it’s nothing to sweat about.

I destroyed a tire, bent a wheel, and cracked a spoke on another wheel on the lovely roads around our nation’s capital so yes, ditch the 20s if you drive in the United States. It’s hard to find replacements with similar offset; I ended up importing the FK2 Type R wheels for the extra inch of sidewall and will run those when the winter ends.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I think I’m just going to slap some lightweight 17” rims with sticky summer tires on my Si and do a mild tune - I have 3 cars and my Si is my DD and I don’t want to stress over rubber band tires and splitters etc. on an R. I

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
The only things I'm immediately planning on doing is a window tint and I'll have to see how I feel about the wheels after having it for a few weeks.

I do want to do a few track days later in the year as well so that might force the wheel issue.
I've heard it has some cooling issues though, not sure how best to tackle that. Probably just some intake upgrades I would assume

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Voltage posted:

I think I’m just going to slap some lightweight 17” rims with sticky summer tires on my Si and do a mild tune - I have 3 cars and my Si is my DD and I don’t want to stress over rubber band tires and splitters etc. on an R. I

RPF1s and some taller sidewalls own

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
Taking delivery of the Type R today.
I'm unreasonably excited

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I’m looking at a 2016 GTI today. I’m having a hard time finding used models with plaid seats, so I’ll have to live with leather. You can’t get the moonroof without the leather seats apparently.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My alert for a FiST came up with "similar to what you're looking for"

https://www.bestdealautosalesonline.com/vdp/13873130/Used-1982-Volkswagen-Rabbit-4dr-HB-Auto-for-sale-in-Fort-Wayne-IN-46808

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

That's so clean.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Mill Village posted:

I’m looking at a 2016 GTI today. I’m having a hard time finding used models with plaid seats, so I’ll have to live with leather. You can’t get the moonroof without the leather seats apparently.

Might want to check, but IIRC the GTI has bad leak issues with the sunroof. Not sure if that includes the 2016 models or not.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

fknlo posted:

That's so clean.

It is. Sadly it's at one of the shittiest dealers in town. Same guys who mark poo poo way up due to "rarity."

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Mill Village posted:

I've always heard to avoid the moon roof on those.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

KillHour posted:

I've always heard to avoid the moon roof on those.

Why? What's the problem with the moonroof?

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
People are loud about their issues with the moonroof on the GTI and probably with good reason since it seems a lot of people have had to go to the dealer many times and never get it fixed, or they end up with a bunch of water damage. My opinion is that I think it's nice to have the extra light in the cabin and since I am under warranty doesn't seem like a huge risk. Most people will never have an issue though and if you see a 2016 and it doesn't have issues already, chances are it will be fine.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

But you're not going to find out it has the issue until it rains after you buy it, unless the owner or dealer is upfront and honest about it.

That being said if you love moonroofs enough it might be worth the risk, me personally I wouldn't because I never use them anyway.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

My anecdotal evidence is my sunroof is fine and none of the other guys I know with a GTI has had any issue with theirs

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

If you’ve had a sunroof or moonroof before and know you like it, it might be worth it. I had a moonroof on my two previous cars and while I never had problems with either, I won’t pay extra or go out of my way to have one on a future car because I never got much value from it.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
Y'all weren't kidding about Black being incredibly dirty.

I'll probably be washing it once a week at this point until we get into Winter and it rains a bunch more, where I'll give less of a poo poo

Looks nice though

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Almost more important to wash it in winter tbh. I wash my car every 2 weeks (or plan to at least).

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I bought a 2003 vibe gt. I have never washed it.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

The dealer sold the GTI I wanted to see even though it was still on their site when I got there. :negative:

There’s a nice white one at another dealer near my house, but it has some modifications. It has APR Stage 2, AWE Catback Exhaust, and Injen Cold Air Intake. I’m thinking it was driven hard.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Mill Village posted:

The dealer sold the GTI I wanted to see even though it was still on their site when I got there. :negative:

There’s a nice white one at another dealer near my house, but it has some modifications. It has APR Stage 2, AWE Catback Exhaust, and Injen Cold Air Intake. I’m thinking it was driven hard.

Run away

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Mill Village posted:

nope nope nope nope

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Mill Village posted:

No one modifies a car like that for nice quiet drives to church on a Sunday

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Word at the dealership is VW is bringing back the color wheel for the 2021 GTI Rs. Now if you could only get them with the load seats...

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Warbird posted:

Word at the dealership is VW is bringing back the color wheel for the 2021 GTI Rs. Now if you could only get them with the load seats...

Are these the mk 8s?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

That’s my understanding, yes. I’m not crazy about the new look by the stats seem decent. Plus getting Bama crimson with white accents would be :discourse:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
mk8 is not out yet

also there is not GTI R

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
There are a few common problems with the moonroofs on the GTIs.

1) The drain channels can get clogged sometimes and you'll end up getting a water leak inside, usually through the console that controls the moonroof also through the visors. Fix for this is to clean out your channels every now, especially if you park outside a lot.
2) The moonroof when not in use sits on a plastic tray. And when it gets cold the tray gets harder and causes some serious rattling. Easy fix for this is to throw some double sided felt tape to prevent the rattling.
3) The trim/bezel area around the moonroof has a tendency to... crack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
The only thing I dislike about the Type R is the big ol plastic garnish on the bumpers - do you think the Facelifted plastic panels would be a 1:1 swap? I like the body coloured swoop and it would break it up nicely even on my black one