Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Taeke posted:

Something I really can't believe I didn't realize sooner, and actually feel stupid about : The names of Ned Flanders' family, Maude, Rod and Todd, all rhyme with God.

After thirty years of the Simpsons, basically my entire life. Lately I have it on as background noise while doing stuff because it's on Disney+, and it randomly hit me.

omg he's the father of Bort too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The famous fight for Pegasus Bridge was in Normandy. For some reason I have spent years thinking it was in Holland, during Market Garden.

Woah

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Taeke posted:

Something I really can't believe I didn't realize sooner, and actually feel stupid about : The names of Ned Flanders' family, Maude, Rod and Todd, all rhyme with God.

After thirty years of the Simpsons, basically my entire life. Lately I have it on as background noise while doing stuff because it's on Disney+, and it randomly hit me.

Maude does not rhyme with God in most parts of the United States. Maybe just where you are.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

gleebster posted:

Maude does not rhyme with God in most parts of the United States. Maybe just where you are.

maybe it does where springfield is

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

gleebster posted:

It's not as close as Rod and Todd but as Ned had to penetrate Maude to get them they got closer to God.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

gleebster posted:

How's it pronounced when it doesn't rhyme? Anxious to figure out something completely new today.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Captain Hygiene posted:

How's it pronounced when it doesn't rhyme? Anxious to figure out something completely new today.

It's pronounced like sword.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Maude rhymes with sawed or clawed. The middle dipthong is "aw" as in Pawtucket, or caudle.

God rhymes with cod or pod. The middle vowel is "ah" as in flan or Khan.

At least wherever I've heard it here in the US. Elsewhere it may be different, as I admitted.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

gleebster posted:

Maude rhymes with sawed or clawed. The middle dipthong is "aw" as in Pawtucket, or caudle.

At least wherever I've heard it here in the US. Elsewhere it may be different, as I admitted.

I always forget, I can never really get the differences between some common pairs like that. It's like my brain just smooths them over so they sound the same no matter what.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Helith posted:

It's pronounced like sword.

Really? I’ve been pronouncing it “god”

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

beanieson posted:

Really? I’ve been pronouncing it “god”

maudes?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

It rhymes with suede

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Captain Hygiene posted:

I always forget, I can never really get the differences between some common pairs like that. It's like my brain just smooths them over so they sound the same no matter what.

its just that dialects are impossible to put through in writing

personally i pronounce god, rod, todd, maude, marge, bort, and old grimey exactly the same

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Captain Hygiene posted:

:stare: I completely forgot that there are bidets not collocated with the toilet. Now I'm just gonna imagine the squatty poopwalk every time someone busts in with a :smug: the bidet is God's own method of cleaning your rear end

Aren't you still supposed to wipe before using the bidet? Guess I've been doing that wrong.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Dip Viscous posted:

Aren't you still supposed to wipe before using the bidet? Guess I've been doing that wrong.

Hell if I know, I stop after the toilet paper as George Washington intended :911::patriot::911:

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Yeah but now isn’t he married to Edna?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Captain Hygiene posted:

Hell if I know, I stop after the toilet paper as George Washington intended :911::patriot::911:

hell same. i cant help but hear your recent posts in this very thread as expressed by jeff bridges' rooster cogburn

might could be to some its the eyepatch but i reckon its the attitude

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
If your sink is close enough to your toilet, congratulations your toilet doubles as a bidet.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

gleebster posted:

Obligatory boring regional difference post that I still feel the need to post: as an Australian your first paragraph was fine but the middle paragraph made my brain do a hard reset. God, flan and Khan all have totally different vowel sounds to me.

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
Lol, just lol if you're not hand splashin your bhole, the poor person's bidet

*Tim Hiedecker 'it's free real estate" img goes here

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Everyone else should just speak like me, the guy who talks with no discernible accent. It’s so obvious!!!

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Slush Garbo posted:

*Tim Hiedecker 'it's free real estate" img goes here

Just figured out that that's Tim Heidecker and not some dude from some commercial.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Krankenstyle posted:

its just that dialects are impossible to put through in writing
That's pretty much exactly what the International Phonetic Alphabet is for. Not that I can read or write any of it.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Captain Hygiene posted:

Those vowel sounds are all exactly the same to me so :shrug:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Liberace, Warhol, and Rudolf loving Hess all died the same year (1987).

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 09:39 on Feb 23, 2020

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

MariusLecter posted:

If your sink is close enough to your toilet, congratulations your toilet doubles as a bidet.

This is actually true, you can get an adapter hose and turn your sink into a bidet.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Failed Imagineer posted:

This is actually true, you can get an adapter hose and turn your sink into a bidet.

I dunno what US toilet outlets look like but I have a wall-mounted spigot in the toilet that I just put a splitter on to have two hoses, one for the cistern, one for the bidet.

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

gschmidl posted:

I dunno what US toilet outlets look like but I have a wall-mounted spigot in the toilet that I just put a splitter on to have two hoses, one for the cistern, one for the bidet

Just like that, but people call it a shutoff valve rather than a spigot (if they even know it's there.) In plumbing lingo it's called an angle stop.

The bidet attachment is awesome.

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
Sorry to keep the bidet derail going but there are little adjustable tankless water heaters you can put in line to the b-hose too, in the 100-150 USD range

Hope this helps someone figure out how to set up the ultimate DIY bidet hose attachment :)

say no to scurvy
Nov 29, 2008

It is always Scurvy Prevention Week.

gschmidl posted:

I dunno what US toilet outlets look like but I have a wall-mounted spigot in the toilet that I just put a splitter on to have two hoses, one for the cistern, one for the bidet.

look at this guy washing his assh*le with cold water like an idiot.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

say no to scurvy posted:

My house didn't come with an outlet in convenient distance to the toilet. Only reason I'm not making GBS threads like a king from atop a Toto. No idea how much it would cost to put one in, but I'm betting more than $200.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

say no to scurvy posted:

I just realised that word should always be spelled with an asterisk.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Hyperlynx posted:

That's pretty much exactly what the International Phonetic Alphabet is for. Not that I can read or write any of it.

that only gets you like 90% there

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

say no to scurvy posted:

That was actually my concern! It turns out you don't even notice it.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Hyperlynx posted:

I just realised that word should always be spelled with an asterisk.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
From now on when someone inexplicably self-censors something I'm going to to think hard and see if I'm missing anything.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Hipster_Doofus posted:

From now on when someone inexplicably self-cens*rs something I'm going to to think hard and see if I'm missing anything.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Nah, "censor" has no need to look like a puckered assh*le.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I'm realizing even if space physicists do a lot of drugs they're still relatively straight laced in naming things. If a biologist discovered black holes they'd have been called mass holes instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Captain Monkey posted:

Yeah but now isn’t he married to Edna?

She died too.