Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I am never going to read Fallen Angels past where I dropped (I think issue 3?), so someone who did stick with it, tell me what happened. Just in case something there does turn out to be a big deal later on so I'm not confused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
Mr. Sinister got what he wanted.

That's the important part, I think.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
What did he want? Besides to be a catty bitch, I mean.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
one thing i really don't buy is how there always seems to be a shortage of x-men willing to pop off krakoa to do fights. there have been an awful lot of x-men and most of them are now on krakoa doing nothing in particular. heck, most of the x-men villains are there, too. but whenever there's a problem, they just send a handful of mutants when they could send out dozens on a moment's notice. i don't think the x-writers really know how to deal with the weird-rear end implications of krakoa.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

one thing i really don't buy is how there always seems to be a shortage of x-men willing to pop off krakoa to do fights. there have been an awful lot of x-men and most of them are now on krakoa doing nothing in particular. heck, most of the x-men villains are there, too. but whenever there's a problem, they just send a handful of mutants when they could send out dozens on a moment's notice. i don't think the x-writers really know how to deal with the weird-rear end implications of krakoa.
I figure the vast majority of mutants are not nearly as well trained as the established X-Men, and may not have the desire or aptitude to pursue paramilitary training. Some dude whose power is that he's blue, eight feet tall and has a second pair of arms may just want to be the Krakoan IT guy.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Nessus posted:

I figure the vast majority of mutants are not nearly as well trained as the established X-Men, and may not have the desire or aptitude to pursue paramilitary training. Some dude whose power is that he's blue, eight feet tall and has a second pair of arms may just want to be the Krakoan IT guy.

Yeah, but there's literally dozens (possibly hundreds) of mutants that were at one point on one of the teams that spent a lot of time dealing with people trying to kill them. Or, especially since they have all the villains there, people who were on a team trying to kill X-Men.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Skwirl posted:

What did he want? Besides to be a catty bitch, I mean.

Data/Information on Apoth, sort of a self-aware AI (maybe?) which was a new threat Psylocke defeated in that book.

If it's actually relevant to Hickman's larger story, I am sure it'll be explained better after the fact.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Lucca Blight posted:

What's with Rahne licking balls?

Rahne is a good doggo

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Was the most recent run of Astonishing X-Men (where I guess Xavier got resurrected in Fantomax's body) any good?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, but there's literally dozens (possibly hundreds) of mutants that were at one point on one of the teams that spent a lot of time dealing with people trying to kill them. Or, especially since they have all the villains there, people who were on a team trying to kill X-Men.
A quick skim of a list of X-Men shows the 'missing' X-Heroes are Mimic, Changeling, Thunderbird I & II, Joseph, Stacy X, Lifeguard, Slipstream, Cloak & Dagger(?), Namor, Danger, Frenzy, Legion, X-Man, Jimmy Hudson, Ink, and Pyro II, and then some even more obscure characters who are either still students or haven't been seen in forever like Skids or Adam-X The X-Treme.

Half of these people are still canonically dead, I think. Or possibly not mutants.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Giant Size X-Men: Nightcrawler looks like it might have the original Thunderbird, and Rachel in her hound outfit.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Skwirl posted:

Was the most recent run of Astonishing X-Men (where I guess Xavier got resurrected in Fantomax's body) any good?

not really no. it and its annual did set the stage for Charles to be a kind of smug off-putting mastermind with a more adversarial relationship with his pupils than they did when Cyclops killed him though, but I wouldn't say it's worth reading for that

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

If you’re reading on Unlimited, it’s not a waste of time. It had a good roster, and it was entertaining enough.

Also, the current Xbooks really haven’t had an event that’d call for mobilizing the full mutant army. It’s all stuff that can be handled with a group.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Edge & Christian posted:

A quick skim of a list of X-Men shows the 'missing' X-Heroes are Mimic, Changeling, Thunderbird I & II, Joseph, Stacy X, Lifeguard, Slipstream, Cloak & Dagger(?), Namor, Danger, Frenzy, Legion, X-Man, Jimmy Hudson, Ink, and Pyro II, and then some even more obscure characters who are either still students or haven't been seen in forever like Skids or Adam-X The X-Treme.

Half of these people are still canonically dead, I think. Or possibly not mutants.

I can't believe you forgot Longshot. And canonically dead just means "on a waiting list" given the current status quo.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Skwirl posted:

I can't believe you forgot Longshot. And canonically dead just means "on a waiting list" given the current status quo.
Longshot is definitely not a mutant, and has never been portrayed as such, so he wouldn't be on Krakoa. Which is also why I didn't mention Juggernaut, though Juggernaut has his own book coming up.

Characters like Mimic, Cloak & Dagger, and Adam-X have sort of jumped back and forth between being considered mutants, but Longshot never has been to my knowledge.

I also recognize there is a resurrection protocol, but the reason that Thunderbird or Joseph haven't been sent out to fight bad guys is because they are "on the waiting list", not that they're sitting around.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Edge & Christian posted:

Longshot is definitely not a mutant, and has never been portrayed as such, so he wouldn't be on Krakoa. Which is also why I didn't mention Juggernaut, though Juggernaut has his own book coming up.

Characters like Mimic, Cloak & Dagger, and Adam-X have sort of jumped back and forth between being considered mutants, but Longshot never has been to my knowledge.

I also recognize there is a resurrection protocol, but the reason that Thunderbird or Joseph haven't been sent out to fight bad guys is because they are "on the waiting list", not that they're sitting around.

I thought he was a mutant, an alien one, but still a mutant, like Broo or Warlock, but I admit I don't really know.

It does feel kinda lovely that they're leaving out people who were longstanding members of the team because of a genetics question when they've risked their lives countless times for the protection of mutants.

Also really hosed up they brought back Pyro before John Proudstar.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Skwirl posted:

I thought he was a mutant, an alien one, but still a mutant, like Broo or Warlock, but I admit I don't really know.

It does feel kinda lovely that they're leaving out people who were longstanding members of the team because of a genetics question when they've risked their lives countless times for the protection of mutants.

Also really hosed up they brought back Pyro before John Proudstar.

To be fair, Pyro was a test run.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Cloks posted:

To be fair, Pyro was a test run.

Okay, but once they knew it worked Proudstar should have been near the loving top of people who they brought back. I think he was the first X-Man to die (ignoring the Deadly Genesis retcons).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

And Hickman is posting a bunch of black and white screenshots from American Psycho

https://twitter.com/JHickman/status/1231488329637670912?s=20

https://twitter.com/JHickman/status/1231488364425162752?s=20

https://twitter.com/JHickman/status/1231488399724425216?s=20

https://twitter.com/JHickman/status/1231488438840561665?s=20

https://twitter.com/JHickman/status/1219125783475650562?s=20

Fake edit: I don't think that last one is American Psycho, might be The Counselor again.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Skwirl posted:

There's a lot of administrative decisions on Krakoa that I question, but not sending any more self-described evil mutants out on paramilitary missions is not one of them

(Of course, this is AFTER Sabertooth was sent to do just that, and after killing someone he got thrown in a big big hole, so even then, they somehow either didn't see that coming or wanted to make an example of him)

Speaking of they-might-be-mutants: How long until Pietro and Wanda are Magneto's kids again? With the Fox deal long done at this point, and their backstory being frankly a little threadbare without his presence in it, it's just a matter of time, right? Because amnesty for Wanda would be another hot political iron for President Xavier to juggle

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

loving Emplate is on the island, I don't think Wanda would be too hard of a sell if she was a mutant again.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Skwirl posted:

loving Emplate is on the island, I don't think Wanda would be too hard of a sell if she was a mutant again.

She's called The Pretender or something and listed as a human who committed genocide against mutants in HoXPoX so I think they're sticking to that for now.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Are the Neo still around? God forbid anyone think I'm clamoring for the return of the Neo but I guess I'm sort of interested in how they'd fit into this whole equation.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

How Wonderful! posted:

Are the Neo still around? God forbid anyone think I'm clamoring for the return of the Neo but I guess I'm sort of interested in how they'd fit into this whole equation.
They apparently all got killed off in a 2011 one-shot, though Chris Claremont suggested that maybe some of them survived the purge in that one-shot by being in another dimension.

Another thing I forgot until looking up the Neo that may be relevant to the current X-Men line (it almost definitely isn't, but who knows?): they kept dropping hints that maybe Kate Pryde was a Neo, not a mutant.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Now that it's been brought up, it seems really strange to me that Longshot hasn't been retconed into a mutant since his son is and he's a clone of his son. Also I love that this is an actual question that I can raise. loving comic books are the best.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

rantmo posted:

his son is and he's a clone of his son.

wait what

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Edge & Christian posted:

Another thing I forgot until looking up the Neo that may be relevant to the current X-Men line (it almost definitely isn't, but who knows?): they kept dropping hints that maybe Kate Pryde was a Neo, not a mutant.

There have been a few hints about Kate over the years. Either they're playing into that hard now or about to canonically confirm it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gologle posted:

wait what

Shatterstar and Longshot are a hell of a drug.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Gologle posted:

wait what

"Oooh, a lesson in not changing history from "Mr. I'm-my- own-grandpa"

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

I had forgotten about that, and it's something I love/'love' about Peter David books: no matter how straightforward and grounded the initial premise is, given him 12-24 issues and the book will slide into a cosmic/theological soap opera with time travel and alternate dimensions and explorations of the afterlife and the notion of the soul. Doesn't matter if it's a government superteam or a private investigation firm, Supergirl or Captain Marvel or the Scarlet Spider, I assume all of his Star Trek stuff I've never read involves Spock's soul migrating to an alternate dimension where he is a Klingon and has to restore the balance of the universe by making a Monty Python joke.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Gologle posted:

wait what

X-Men!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

Dazzler revealed that she was pregnant with Longshot's child and Longshot suggested the name "Shatterstar" for the unborn child.[15] Longshot and Dazzler returned to Mojoworld to free Longshot's people and Dazzler later appeared without Longshot and without a child. It was speculated that Dazzler miscarried,[16] though it was not established until a 2013 comic by Peter A. David what became of the infant; the child's future self, Shatterstar, wiped his parents' memories of his birth and arranged for his transport to the future.[17]

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

danbanana posted:

There have been a few hints about Kate over the years. Either they're playing into that hard now or about to canonically confirm it.

Actually curious about this one. Which specific hints would you say?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
That's funny because I suggested the name "Shatterstar" for my kid and then my wife stopped hanging around with me, too!

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Saoshyant posted:

Actually curious about this one. Which specific hints would you say?

The Neo thing. I think there was another hint at it in one of the death of Wolverine books or something?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Edge & Christian posted:

I had forgotten about that, and it's something I love/'love' about Peter David books: no matter how straightforward and grounded the initial premise is, given him 12-24 issues and the book will slide into a cosmic/theological soap opera with time travel and alternate dimensions and explorations of the afterlife and the notion of the soul. Doesn't matter if it's a government superteam or a private investigation firm, Supergirl or Captain Marvel or the Scarlet Spider, I assume all of his Star Trek stuff I've never read involves Spock's soul migrating to an alternate dimension where he is a Klingon and has to restore the balance of the universe by making a Monty Python joke.

Well, his Excalibur series did feature the crew being present for the birth of the actual Great Bird of the Galaxy because if anybody was going to turn Roddenberry's nickname in the fandom into an actual plot point it would be the PAD Guy. I want to say he didn't really do this on Young Justice but then I forget what Secret's deal was except she was related to Darkseid somehow so maybe he did.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

danbanana posted:

The Neo thing. I think there was another hint at it in one of the death of Wolverine books or something?

That was Tony saying that one of the X-Men isn't really a mutant, but a modified sleeper agent traitor. There was no specific hint at who though, or that they were a Neo instead.

It's just combined with the current story, and Claremont making Kitty a Neo instead of a mutant already, it seems more likely.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Open Marriage Night posted:

Any of them. The campus map in that one issue is full of potential.

Nobody has any thoughts on Wolverine #1. I haven’t gotten around to reading it yet.

Also, I finally got my hands on one of the HoX/PoX comic boxes. When I pack everything into it I’ll do a count to see how crazy this thing has gotten.

I like Wolverine. I like vampires. I liked this book because it had Wolverine and vampires!

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Skwirl posted:

Killing Wanda and Pietro off and having Magneto demand he get his children back as mutants is just too perfect for them not to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Soonmot posted:

I like Wolverine. I like vampires. I liked this book because it had Wolverine and vampires!

Mr. Hickman, I would like to pitch this idea... What if Wolverine were King of the Vampires on Krakoa?