Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

yea ok posted:

i watched "they were expendable" a boring rear end john ford war is hell crap thing that idc about. go shoot some cool monument valley crap john

This was one of my lovely grandfather's favorite movies, I must have slept through it like 3 times. I honestly couldn't tell you how it ended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

My favorite John Ford thing is how much he loving hated having to cast John Wayne in The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

John Wayne was such a bitch

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

i like ford westerns so i'm gonna watch fort apache where john wayne is the noble captain and henry fonda is the guy who hates those god damned natives

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

NienNunb posted:

John Wayne was such a bitch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yligem6V1s

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcbFJAcuomI&t=161s

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I blame the lionization of John Wayne as one of the reasons this country is so deeply hosed up. There’s an entire generation of sad drunks staring at John Wayne collectible plates.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I really need a new avatar, but of the two incredible, handsome, champions of the people that I love, I dunno whether it should be Tetsuya Naito or Bernie Sanders. :(

Fresh Like Zafo
May 31, 2012

Went with a few co-workers to an escape room for my birthday and beat it with three minutes to spare, so that was fun.

Also, I get the feeling that the guy I'm interested in is seeing someone I'm tight with at work, and that bums me out.

So, kind of a weird birthday this year. Hopefully the rest of the year doesn't get weirder.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

MJeff posted:

I really need a new avatar, but of the two incredible, handsome, champions of the people that I love, I dunno whether it should be Tetsuya Naito or Bernie Sanders. :(

For you:

https://twitter.com/dougcrap/status/1231041433404088321?s=21

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

hell yeah

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Now do one with a mashup of Sanders and known Bernie Bro Nick Fuckin Gage

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Sad that someone beat me to it, happy to have an excuse to jam out to MDC

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

Sad that someone beat me to it, happy to have an excuse to jam out to MDC

:omarcomin:

There is never a bad time to listen to MDC

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MJeff posted:

Why not both?

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Feb 23, 2020

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

NienNunb posted:

Kiss my pecker

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Finished up TNG and now onto DS9.

This is good for my Pah.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Went to see The Lodge last night in a tiny, piss-smelling theatre where the sound was turned up way too high and it is easily the most emotionally-destroying movie I've seen since Hereditary. I felt exhausted leaving the theatre and immediately slept for ten hours.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

coconono posted:

I blame the lionization of John Wayne as one of the reasons this country is so deeply hosed up. There’s an entire generation of sad drunks staring at John Wayne collectible plates.

John on race

quote:

I believe in white supremacy until the blacks are educated to a point of responsibility.”

On Midnight Cowboy

quote:

a story about two fags

Wish I could fantasy book Jim Brown vs Wayne, victory only comes by KO or submission

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

flashy_mcflash posted:

Went to see The Lodge last night in a tiny, piss-smelling theatre where the sound was turned up way too high and it is easily the most emotionally-destroying movie I've seen since Hereditary. I felt exhausted leaving the theatre and immediately slept for ten hours.

This recent trend of movies that just fill you with negativity really gets to me. Hereditary to me was a very well made, harmful movie that in the end did nothing but celebrate evil. Whereas a movie like Parasite is funny, sad, crushing, and hopeful (even if it's a born to lose kind of hopeful), movies like Hereditary just remind us that the world is lovely and there is no real escape from it, Donald Trump will win again, suffering is our expression of the entropy of the universe and we are all fundamentally doomed. I can't watch movies or listen to music like that anymore, it's so hopeless it makes me wonder if it's psychic warfare on the people from the same Hollywood demons that reenact Salo every year on Epstein islands the world over. The Lodge dabbles in that same demonology and I just don't know what these kind of movies hope to show us that is going to do anything positive for the world.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Trump stop making Toni Colette slice her head off

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

lmfao jesus christ

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://letterboxd.com/darrencb/list/the-world-is-hell-hopeless-cinema/ I'm only 15% through the list after all my hard work :smith: gotta watch a lot more

I wish The Lodge was playing anywhere near me

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Chris James 2 posted:

https://letterboxd.com/darrencb/list/the-world-is-hell-hopeless-cinema/ I'm only 15% through the list after all my hard work :smith: gotta watch a lot more

Have you seen Aniara yet?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Big Huski Boi posted:

Have you seen Aniara yet?

No but it's on Hulu so that'll probably change within the week

large_gourd
Jan 17, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Eat My Fuc posted:

This recent trend of movies that just fill you with negativity really gets to me. Hereditary to me was a very well made, harmful movie that in the end did nothing but celebrate evil. Whereas a movie like Parasite is funny, sad, crushing, and hopeful (even if it's a born to lose kind of hopeful), movies like Hereditary just remind us that the world is lovely and there is no real escape from it, Donald Trump will win again, suffering is our expression of the entropy of the universe and we are all fundamentally doomed. I can't watch movies or listen to music like that anymore, it's so hopeless it makes me wonder if it's psychic warfare on the people from the same Hollywood demons that reenact Salo every year on Epstein islands the world over. The Lodge dabbles in that same demonology and I just don't know what these kind of movies hope to show us that is going to do anything positive for the world.

there's something wrong with your thought process if you go from hereditary to any thought about trump at all. the two have nothing to do with each other, you were vulnerable to that going in.

i think movies like that render the common negative thoughts less directly potent in real life by externalising them into fiction and that's really the purpose they serve. there's a processing mechanism at work, hopelessness is a part of the human mind and exploring it via fiction is more healthy than doing it elsewhere. sometimes its what you need, a nice glass of cold water right in the face. it's like inoculating yourself to a disease.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

large_gourd posted:

there's something wrong with your thought process if you go from hereditary to any thought about trump at all. the two have nothing to do with each other, you were vulnerable to that going in.

i think movies like that render the common negative thoughts less directly potent in real life by externalising them into fiction and that's really the purpose they serve. there's a processing mechanism at work, hopelessness is a part of the human mind and exploring it via fiction is more healthy than doing it elsewhere. sometimes its what you need, a nice glass of cold water right in the face. it's like inoculating yourself to a disease.

you're going to have to rephrase in idiot i'm sorry. I feel like you're making a good point I should know but legitimately I have an IQ sub 85 and I've read this a ton and it's not making sense.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

There's something wrong with your thought process if you go into anything you enjoy or use to escape thinking about trump

Leave that for the other 90 percent of our lives that are bombarded with how much of an absolute travesty the U.S. political landscape is

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

A lot to unpack there but the notion that movies dealing with crushing hopelessness weren't around or prevalent before Hereditary, especially in the horror genre, sure is something.

Chris James 2 posted:

It was only playing on that one teensy screen here in Toronto (normally a pretty good town for indie film) so they must be doing a slower release.

flashy_mcflash fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Feb 23, 2020

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

flashy_mcflash posted:

A lot to unpack there but the notion that movies dealing with crushing hopelessness weren't around or prevalent before Hereditary, especially in the horror genre, sure is something.

I didn't say that I said it's a contemporary trend and it is. And the Trump thing is just an example of how our world is fallen and will not recover.

large_gourd
Jan 17, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Eat My Fuc posted:

you're going to have to rephrase in idiot i'm sorry. I feel like you're making a good point I should know but legitimately I have an IQ sub 85 and I've read this a ton and it's not making sense.

well the first part is just what the post above me said

the second part i'm just saying yeah these movies are bleak but i don't think they are just trying to make you miserable, or at least, they don't want to leave you worse off for seeing them.

life can be bleak and even when it isn't, we can make it feel like that because that's just part of being human. you seemed confused why stories that celebrate or indulge in darkness are popular. they give us a vessel to explore feelings/desires that it wouldn't be healthy to explore in real life, or at least, it's a better way to do it. it could be anything really, like how people like violent films. same kind of deal, different part of the emotional spectrum.

everyone's got their own tastes with that, might just not work for you to watch a bunch of bad poo poo happen in a story. i like going into the depths with things and then coming back out, with no consequences. because i tend to negative thoughts sometimes and if i've just watched a movie like that, i feel like i've satisfied those impulses and my mood is actually better, my thoughts are lighter. it's also more appealing to go to that place with a fictional story than dwell on some bad real world stuff i either can't do anything about or would rather forget.

so basically, it's a fantasy. lots of people have a use for it, but the purpose of this stuff really isn't to just rub your nose in how bad the world is, it's actually still a kind of escapism. you're just making things worse for yourself by bringing outside stuff in, and then taking the darkness of the movie back out and forming this tissue of awfulness between the two.

dunno if that makes it any clearer.

large_gourd fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Feb 23, 2020

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Chris James 2 posted:

25% for this gamer

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

large_gourd posted:

well the first part is just what the post above me said

the second part i'm just saying yeah these movies are bleak but i don't think they are just trying to make you miserable, or at least, they don't want to leave you worse off for seeing them.

life can be bleak and even when it isn't, we can make it feel like that because that's just part of being human. you seemed confused why stories that celebrate or indulge in darkness are popular. they give us a vessel to explore feelings/desires that it wouldn't be healthy to explore in real life, or at least, it's a better way to do it. it could be anything really, like how people like violent films. same kind of deal, different part of the emotional spectrum.

everyone's got their own tastes with that, might just not work for you to watch a bunch of bad poo poo happen in a story. i like going into the depths with things and then coming back out, with no consequences. because i tend to negative thoughts sometimes and if i've just watched a movie like that, i feel like i've satisfied those impulses and my mood is actually better, my thoughts are lighter. it's also more appealing to go to that place with a fictional story than dwell on some bad real world stuff i either can't do anything about or would rather forget.

so basically, it's a fantasy. lots of people have a use for it, but the purpose of this stuff really isn't to just rub your nose in how bad the world is, it's actually still a kind of escapism. you're just making things worse for yourself by bringing outside stuff in, and then taking the darkness of the movie back out and forming this tissue of awfulness between the two.

dunno if that makes it any clearer.

It does, thank you. I see your point

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

I thought Hereditary and Midsommar were both boring as hell and didn't get the hype about them at all but whatever anyway listen to MDC and vote Bernie Sanders thank you for coming to my TED Talk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iVvESik9CA

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
sad movies are to blame!

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I wish we had more relentlessly pessimistic sci-fi like in the 70s but I'm not gonna complain too much

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
like yeah life sucks and always has but art and artists have no obligation to make anyone happy in any way whatsoever.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

10% for me with the hopeless list

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
West Side Story is on that list

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008