Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

vyelkin posted:

when mike bloomberg threatened to enter the 2016 race if bernie won the nomination and then actually did in 2020 just to throw away hundreds of millions of dollars on being publicly humiliated in front of the whole country in order to make the other candidates look good and get back in the news cycle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
turns out Bloomberg just fancies Liz Warren and has a public humiliation fetish

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

bloomberg said in 2019 that he wasnt going to run. then Epstein died and he announced a couple months later

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
But now that he's gotten the jitters out of his system he'll CRUSH THE SABOTEURS at the next debate.

source: dude trust me

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Jon Stewart saying it would be hard to top the GWB administration for ridiculousness.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Inceltown posted:

Jon Stewart saying it would be hard to top the GWB administration for ridiculousness.

he was right

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

corporate media faltering into internet memes sixteen years ago and coming up with jibjab

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Inceltown posted:

you should read Fiasco by Thomas E Rick's

the Bush administration was giving control of whole Iraqi ministries to people in their twenties with no government experience because they went to Liberty U

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
Speaking of funny poo poo: Paul Bremer firing the entire Iraqi army overnight

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
i remember a segment on Colbert or daily show in like 2007 where it was revealed Bloomberg was buying up hundreds of domains with names like

michaelbloombergistooshorttobepresident.com

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Political genius James Carville backed Michael Bennet this primary.

Eleanor Pwnsevelt
Dec 25, 2003

indicted former Illinois governor Rod Blagojevich interviews on the Daily Show during his scandal

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/2ekcqf/the-daily-show-with-jon-stewart-rod-blagojevich 2009

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/bfnafg/the-daily-show-with-jon-stewart-exclusive---rod-blagojevich-extended-interview-pt--1 2010 (pt 1)

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/av5rd6/the-daily-show-with-jon-stewart-exclusive---rod-blagojevich-extended-interview-pt--2 2010 (pt 2)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

LastInLine posted:

I was literally just thinking of this stuff this morning when I remembered that one of the most impressive publics works projects of the 20th century is named after Hoover, who at the time of its construction was certainly in contention for being the worst president in living memory

The worst part is that it was renamed to “Hoover Dam” in 1947, twelve years after construction.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
We all remember "Black Twitter ain't havin' no Bernie", but I never realized her profile picture was taken at her acupuncturist's

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

MikeCrotch posted:

the single best documentary or otherwise I have seen on the Iraq war is the pbs frontline special: “Bush’s War”. it fully explains everything that went wrong in the first years of the war and is full of “lols” like this

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

MikeCrotch posted:

It wasn't just the army, it was the entire Ba'ath Party. And they weren't simply fired, they were permanently blacklisted. Under the Hussein regime, anyone who wanted to be a civil servant had to be a member of the Ba'ath Party, so in effect Paul Bremer fired and blacklisted everyone in the military but also every teacher, mayor, public works laborer, hospital administrator etc. Overnight he permanently crippled every single public institution in Iraq. iirc this decision was never overturned during W.'s tenure.

FORUMS USER 1135
Jan 14, 2004

Also funny about this is that it was based on the idea of de-Nazification which wasn't carried out nearly to the extent people think it was.

Postwar posted:

By the time the western Allies abandoned their denazification efforts with the coming of the Cold War, it was clear that these had had a decidedly limited impact. In Bavaria about half the secondary schoolteachers had been fired by 1946, only to be back in their jobs two years later. In 1949 the newly-established Federal Republic ended all investigations of the past behaviour of civil servants and army officers. In Bavaria in 1951, 94 percent of judges and prosecutors, 77 percent of finance ministry employees and 60 percent of civil servants in the regional Agriculture Ministry were ex-Nazis. By 1952 one in three of Foreign Ministry officials in Bonn was a former member of the Nazi Party. Of the newly-constituted West German Diplomatic Corps, 43 percent were former SS men and another 17 percent had served in the SD or Gestapo. Hans Globke, Chancellor Adenauer’s chief aide throughout the 1950s, was the man who had been responsible for the official commentary on Hitler’s 1935 Nuremberg Laws. The chief of police in the Rhineland-Palatinate, Wilhelm Hauser, was the Obersturmführer responsible for wartime massacres in Byelorussia.

The same pattern held true outside the civil service. Universities and the legal profession were the least affected by denazification, despite their notorious sympathy for Hitler’s regime. Businessmen also got off lightly. Friedrich Flick, convicted as a war criminal in 1947, was released three years later by the Bonn authorities and restored to his former eminence as the leading shareholder in Daimler-Benz. Senior figures in the incriminated industrial combines of I.G. Farben and Krupp were all released early and re-entered public life little the worse for wear. By 1952 Fordwerke, the German branch of Ford Motor Company, had reassembled all its senior management from the Nazi years. Even the Nazi judges and concentration camp doctors convicted under American jurisdiction saw their sentences reduced or commuted (by the American administrator, John J McCloy).

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Chris Matthews praising Obama for a speech he gave.

"I forgot he was black!"

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
the five-head that launched a thousand drones

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Flavius Aetass posted:

the five-head that launched a thousand drones

added up, there's a double digit headcount in that photo

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
After this scandal blew up, I predicted General Petraeus was gonna be the host of a military-themed reality show within five years.

I was disappointed that I was wrong.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
The Pete staffer who pretends to be Nigerian on Twitter.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
The pod save america jons pretending to not know what Acronym is despite having previously had the founder on as a guest

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

Animal-Mother posted:

The Pete staffer who pretends to be Nigerian on Twitter.

Oh, not just a staffer. Lis Smith is one of the majordomos of his campaign

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

One of the Pod Save jons telling bernie bros to shape up now that bernie is sweeping the board

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I just remembered when kamala kramered into the primary and then flamed out hilariously before even reaching iowa and lolled a little irl

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I just remembered that Tulsi Gabbard is still running for President in these United States of America

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
those who stand with the Lion never drop out

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

Filthy Hans posted:

It wasn't just the army, it was the entire Ba'ath Party. And they weren't simply fired, they were permanently blacklisted. Under the Hussein regime, anyone who wanted to be a civil servant had to be a member of the Ba'ath Party, so in effect Paul Bremer fired and blacklisted everyone in the military but also every teacher, mayor, public works laborer, hospital administrator etc. Overnight he permanently crippled every single public institution in Iraq. iirc this decision was never overturned during W.'s tenure.

Thousands of young men with military knowledge thrown out onto the streets. Thousands more people removed out of their jobs with no options available. The entire government infrastructure left barren.

"Hey, why does everyone hate us and why are these militias suddenly so competent?"

Funny thing I just remembered: I don't even remember the dude's name, but one of the Iraqi exiles living in England that had team Bush convinced everything was going to be a cakewalk got airlifted into Iraq early on during the war. As soon as he landed he started trying to order everyone around like he ran the place, but the local Iraqis all went, "Nah, gently caress you."

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Kevos Setzer posted:

one of the Iraqi exiles living in England that had team Bush convinced everything was going to be a cakewalk got airlifted into Iraq early on during the war. As soon as he landed he started trying to order everyone around like he ran the place, but the local Iraqis all went, "Nah, gently caress you."

Achmed Chalabi.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
she looks like my highschool german teacher

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
Pro Tip: nobody who speaks German wants to talk to you in it and you'll never get a date because you know how to use an umlaut

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
also My High School German Teacher was fluent in that and russian and worked for naval intelligence and wouldn't say what she did?

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
long story short i would have boned my foreign language instructor in a hearbeat if she wasn't like 40 years older than me

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Kevos Setzer posted:

Thousands of young men with military knowledge thrown out onto the streets. Thousands more people removed out of their jobs with no options available. The entire government infrastructure left barren.

"Hey, why does everyone hate us and why are these militias suddenly so competent?"

Funny thing I just remembered: I don't even remember the dude's name, but one of the Iraqi exiles living in England that had team Bush convinced everything was going to be a cakewalk got airlifted into Iraq early on during the war. As soon as he landed he started trying to order everyone around like he ran the place, but the local Iraqis all went, "Nah, gently caress you."

not just military knowledge, also military weapons

when the US invaded the soldiers took their guns and went home, thinking they'd ride it out for a few weeks and then get called back in to serve the new bosses. Instead the US fired them all and didn't even tell them, they heard about it on TV/radio/by word of mouth. Ended up with a whole bunch of armed young men sitting around whose only skills were shooting and blowing things up, no opportunity for employment in a new line of work that could use those skills, no opportunities to transition to any other job, and a newfound, let's say dislike for the people who did all that to them. It would be hard to think of a worse way to begin an occupation of a foreign country.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/978508928299470848?s=20

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

https://twitter.com/mike2020/status/1222324982786797568?lang=en

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
i_really_hate_that_man.gif

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Uglycat believing he defeated Russian efforts in South Bend