Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Radio Free Kobold posted:

I like the robes you got there. It's very Crusader.

As soon as I saw the Primaris Librarian I thought the model was so cool, the only problem was that all the GK characters were in terminator armour. Its only when the terminator librarians were all sold out I considered the fact as primaris they are bigger anyway.

Voldus has a cloak too, so I think having the Librarians with cloaks and stuff sets them out a bit since they are still in the metallic armour rather than all blue.

Edit:

It also helps primaris really are just scaled up. The Chaplain and the Librarian are standing on scenery which raises them up a bit, but look at their size compared to WIP Voldus and a GKPA

Kitchner fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Feb 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Supernova snagged again this year.

Even with the old system still in place is didn’t lag out like crazy as it’s done before.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I put together an Exorcist today and it wasn't nearly as hard as I feared. I did leave the cherubs off because I figured they'd probably snap off anyway, like a coward, but it was a fun model. Which is also good because I think I'm going to want two more.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Dawgstar posted:

I put together an Exorcist today and it wasn't nearly as hard as I feared. I did leave the cherubs off because I figured they'd probably snap off anyway, like a coward, but it was a fun model. Which is also good because I think I'm going to want two more.

The real cowardice is not getting the metal and plastic version.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Very happy with how this turned out. My favorite Tau unit by far that i've painted, but there are a lot of Tau that are in a close 2nd. This faction is one of the reasons why I wanted to paint and play Warhammer 40K. Games Workshop is weird about this model though. The legs are 13 pieces total and are a very weird assembly. The rest of the model though was not that bad. I just need to figure out the paints used for the stone now. GWS doesn't tell you this.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Dawgstar posted:

To be honest it vey much depends on how you carry them. I have a bunch of the KR multicase boxes and some other them would easily fit in weird models.

The other option is to magnetise the cherubs. You could even use them as a reminder then as to what wound bracket your tank is on!

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

I've been thinking about turning all my "rule of cool" bought minis into a 500 pt. inquisitorial warband, but after reading the new White Dwarf index, and fooling around a little in Battlescribe, I've only managed to confuse myself thoroughly.
Say I want to use some of the more eclectic minis as, for example, acolytes, and my as-yet-unbuilt scions as troops; what kind of detachment would that be, and how would the inquisitor and his acolytes fit in? Two different detachments, maybe?
I'm having troubles wrapping my head around it all :psyduck:

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

inscrutable horse posted:

I've been thinking about turning all my "rule of cool" bought minis into a 500 pt. inquisitorial warband, but after reading the new White Dwarf index, and fooling around a little in Battlescribe, I've only managed to confuse myself thoroughly.
Say I want to use some of the more eclectic minis as, for example, acolytes, and my as-yet-unbuilt scions as troops; what kind of detachment would that be, and how would the inquisitor and his acolytes fit in? Two different detachments, maybe?
I'm having troubles wrapping my head around it all :psyduck:

Basically the detachment system only matters for "battleforged" games, which is essentially a game with points and stuff like that, and to generate CP to use on stratagems.

If you have some models that are just cool and you've never really tried to use them in a game, but you'd like the option to, the best thing to do is not even try to put them into a battleforged format at 500 points.

If you do want to try though, you probably want to use a Vanguard detachment for the Inquisition.

That means you can have an inquisitor plus three "units" of acolytes (which can be literally 1 acolyte) and it gives you +1 CP.

For the Scions you basically have two ways of using them. You could actually use them as acolytes with hot-shot lasguns, but that's not a greta option.

If you use them as actual scions, the easiest way to get them in is as a patrol detachment, which means you need a HQ and one unit of scions. The HQ would need to be a tempestor prime or a commissar or a primaris psyker. This wouldn't generate any CP but it wouldn't break your battleforged status and you can give them the regimental doctrines for scions from PA.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Kitchner posted:

Hints, tips & tricks

Thanks for the pointers; my issue is mostly with how bare-bones and confusing the wording in the White Dwarf index is, and how Battlescribe doesn't seem to support it all the way.
I'm kinda set on the battleforged thing, if only because it makes it so much easier to find people to play with; locally, narrative or open games are nonexistent, verging on taboo. Anyway, I figure 500 points are a really good place to have a small, mish-mash force, and it makes for short and sweet games.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Thanks for the pointers; my issue is mostly with how bare-bones and confusing the wording in the White Dwarf index is, and how Battlescribe doesn't seem to support it all the way.
I'm kinda set on the battleforged thing, if only because it makes it so much easier to find people to play with; locally, narrative or open games are nonexistent, verging on taboo. Anyway, I figure 500 points are a really good place to have a small, mish-mash force, and it makes for short and sweet games.

I mean Battlescribe does represent it, it's just a weird index.

For example:

quote:

++ Vanguard Detachment +1CP (Imperium - Inquisition) [15 PL, 1CP, 192pts] ++

+ Configuration +

Detachment CP [1CP]

+ HQ +

Inquisitor Coteaz [4 PL, 90pts]: Malleus - Power Through Knowledge

+ Elites +

Acolytes [5 PL, 40pts]: Ordo Malleus
. Acolyte: Chainsword, Laspistol

Acolytes [5 PL, 40pts]: Ordo Malleus

Jokaero Weaponsmith [1 PL, 22pts]: Jokaero Weapons, Ordo Malleus

++ Patrol Detachment (Imperium - Astra Militarum) [18 PL, 2CP, 308pts] ++

+ Configuration +

Battle-forged CP [3CP]

Regimental Doctrine: 43rd Iotan Dragons

+ No Force Org Slot +

Inquisitor Greyfax [5 PL, -1CP, 85pts]: Hereticus - Ascertainment, Hereticus - No Escape, Stratagem: Inquisitorial Mandate

+ HQ +

Tempestor Prime [3 PL, 39pts]: Grand Strategist, Hot-shot Laspistol, Power sword, Relic: The Laurels of Command, Warlord

+ Troops +

Militarum Tempestus Scions [5 PL, 92pts]
. 7x Scion
. Scion w/ Special Weapon: Plasma gun
. Tempestor: Chainsword, Hot-shot Laspistol

Militarum Tempestus Scions [5 PL, 92pts]
. 7x Scion
. Tempestor: Chainsword, Hot-shot Laspistol

++ Total: [33 PL, 3CP, 500pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe]

This is a Astra Militarum Patrol detachment with an Inquisitor attached to it. The patrol detachment has a Tempestor Prime and twenty Scions.

The second detachment is a Vanguard detachment. It has a single inquisitor (the app throws an error if you have more than one because that's the rules). To get you a CP you need three elites choices, which can only be two squads of acolytes (because you can only have the same unit twice at 1,000 points or less) and a Jakero Weaponsmith (in theory it could be a daemonhost but I put Coteaz in there which wouldn't be fluffy. Swap him for Eisenhorn or whatever and daemonhosts make more sense).

The detachment system is one of those things that to newer players I'd normally just say build the list and don't worry about detachments for now because you can shuffle things around later.

With your concept though you need two, one for the Inquisiton and one for the Astra Militarum.

There's other ways you could do this but ultimately if you want acolytes you need a non-auxillary detachment which let's you take elites for the Acolytes, doesn't need troops (because the Inquisition doesn't have any). Therefore it had to be a Vanguard detachment.

At 500 points you can only have two detachments and you can only use each non-troops unit twice. Since the Inquisiton literally consists of one HQ per detachment and 3 different elite choices, you're fairly limited.

If your models can pass as "counts as" scions playing them as a scion Battalion with an inquisitor attached is probably the most competitive way. If they are so customised that you need them to be acolytes, you need a Vanguard Inquisition detachment, and a separate one for the Scions.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

OK, wow! That list was totally going beyond the call of duty! :prepop: I mean, it looks like a really fun list to play, but it also clears up many of the doubts and questions I had rooting around in my skull.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

OK, wow! That list was totally going beyond the call of duty! :prepop: I mean, it looks like a really fun list to play, but it also clears up many of the doubts and questions I had rooting around in my skull.

I used to have a daemonhunters army of inquisitors, stormtroopers, and acolytes so when I came back to the hobby I missed around with the (old index) inquisition stuff, so no hassle. Glad it helped though.

Raiche
Oct 29, 2007

Ashcans posted:

The worst offense here is that doing rad stuff like armlocking an enemy jack and headbutting it was almost always suboptimal from a mechanical standpoint, which is a crying shame because I really wanted to focus on giant steam robots throwing sick wrestling moves on each other instead of just regular attacks.

Guess they'll get one more sale out of me at least, for old times sake.

Ashcans! Fellow Ashlynn person from years ago! Both of our hearts are now broken, what is this Ashlynn 2 nonsense. I abandoned Warmachine after the community hurt me, and only painted for a while. Now a nicer Games Workshop brings me to the Imperium.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Harvey Mantaco posted:

I finally beat my brothers loving marines with my DG

This pic owns. Did you model it like that permanently, or do you add the marine when the prince wins a combat?

e: I see now how's it attached. Still awesome.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/02/23/sunday-preview-incubi-banshees-and-black-library-celebration/

The Blood of the Phoenix units are finally getting a stand alone, multi part release. Now I can finally grab a single Banshee from a bits store. :v: (And pay too much probably at the same time.)

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Seldom Posts posted:

This pic owns. Did you model it like that permanently, or do you add the marine when the prince wins a combat?

e: I see now how's it attached. Still awesome.

It's that space marine that drives the land raider with the 2+ BS despite the current bracket. He added a magnet under the torso so he can sit in the gunner seat or get out and walk with his legs if the land raider is destroyed. Cronus or something?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
So I wanted to try a 1500 pt army with some less used marine units, and needed to adjust one of my existing models:

The Ironclad is basically planned to advance alongside the intercessors and Invictor to claim central objectives and I realized converting him to an HQ unit with the Hands stratagem and using two combat weapons makes him a great heavy hitting melee unit. One problem:

I had built him with a storm bolter to make him cheaper. Fortunately I had saved the combat weapon:

The combat arm was only a four or five hour project, the biggest challenge was that my painting has changed since I painted the rest of the model, and I had to adapt accordingly to make it not stand out.

It's clearly below the standard of my other more current models, but not enough to be distracting and I'm looking forward to giving him a shot.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Raiche posted:

Ashcans! Fellow Ashlynn person from years ago! Both of our hearts are now broken, what is this Ashlynn 2 nonsense. I abandoned Warmachine after the community hurt me, and only painted for a while. Now a nicer Games Workshop brings me to the Imperium.

Oh hey! Sorry that you were treated poorly by the community, that sucks. :( I mostly dropped out because I couldn't keep pace with how the game grew and the meta changed. Kind of weird we've boomeranged to where GW is the friendlier, better side again. Good news: If you're playing Imperium forces, you could probably use Ashlynn as an Inquisitor or Acolyte or something!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/02/23/sunday-preview-incubi-banshees-and-black-library-celebration/

The Blood of the Phoenix units are finally getting a stand alone, multi part release. Now I can finally grab a single Banshee from a bits store. :v: (And pay too much probably at the same time.)

Really glad that they're doing this, it's bad when nice models get stuck in boxed releases forever (looking at you, Deathkoptas). On the other hand, I aready have two squads of Howling Banshees, two Exarches, and two Jain Zars, so I really don't need any more. :ohdear:

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

is there a cheap 500pts admech list thats fun to play?
a friend of mine has no money but likes them, since i'd also like to paint them I was looking at getting some for him so we can play together too

I've already been messing about making up 500pt lists that would be £100 or so for various armies like world eaters and custodes. but as far as I can tell admech stuff is quite points cheap for its cash price, apart from Cawl who has an awesome model and I pretty much want.
he's a fan of the robots but they all seem pretty expensive for their points value.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Communist Thoughts posted:

a friend of mine has no money but likes them, since i'd also like to paint them I was looking at getting some for him so we can play together too

I've already been messing about making up 500pt lists that would be £100 or so for various armies like world eaters and custodes. but as far as I can tell admech stuff is quite points cheap for its cash price, apart from Cawl who has an awesome model and I pretty much want.
he's a fan of the robots but they all seem pretty expensive for their points value.

I think the start collecting box amounts to approx. 300 points. Approx. 120 for the Onager, another 100 for the vanguards, and around 80 for the Dominus. That and a box of castellans gets you to 500.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I'm looking forward to getting the rest of a 10 size squad for Howling Banshees.

Now we just need more different plastic Aspects.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Strobe posted:

Now we just need more different plastic Aspects.

:hmmyes:

Give me my drat plastic Swooping Hawks GW! You cowards!

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Seldom Posts posted:

I think the start collecting box amounts to approx. 300 points. Approx. 120 for the Onager, another 100 for the vanguards, and around 80 for the Dominus. That and a box of castellans gets you to 500.

This is what I started with and it was a lot of fun.

After that I'd get some more vanguard, Dragoons and then infiltrators.

But for 500 points, Start Collecting plus shooty Kastelans are great. Play as Stygies 8 for a -1 to hit and you've got a tough little gun line.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

Start collecting for admech (skitarii) is pretty good, all the units are useful and cool, but that's pretty much your whole budget for around 300 points (if you load up the rangers/vanguard with special weapons, 2 per 5). It would only be a patrol detachment, but a varied and fun one. You get the cool vehicle and troops and decent HQ.

If you get the kastelan robots box - which comes with a datasmith, you can 'counts as' tech-priest enginseer for a second hq (very few people actually know which is which anyway) - and a single box of rangers or vanguard, you have a pretty fun and actually also pretty decent little admech battalion for approx 500-600 points. Dominus, Enginseer, 3-4 x rangers or vanguard, 2 robutts and a dunecrawler. It's a little over 500, unless you use fisty-bots (phosphor blasters are the way to go generally) and pretend the dominus is daedalous from blackstone or something. At that point it's twice+ your $$ budget though. Magnetnize the robutts for sure, because it's easy and it's nice to change them up for want to change them up for variety and experimenting with lists and builds and so on.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

i hadn't considered a patrol, I could probably get Cawl and the Start Collecting box, then thats 450 without gear for £75 and cawl looks fun and is a great model.
the castellans iirc cost more than cawl and i really don't like their look otherwise i'd get them instead.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Gorkaknight in progress, normally I’d have waited until it was done butI’m so happy with how it turned out.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
That is extremely cool

swampcow
Jul 4, 2011

Noob here again, so apologies ahead of time if this is a dumb question, but I'm thinking about building a 500 point army to go against some boyz and lootas. What's a good army to win 50% of the time against that? Ideally I want something that plays completely different from orks and is lower on model count so I can take a break from painting boyz and actually make some progress.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

OhDearGodNo posted:

Gorkaknight in progress, normally I’d have waited until it was done butI’m so happy with how it turned out.

this is really cool

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

swampcow posted:

Noob here again, so apologies ahead of time if this is a dumb question, but I'm thinking about building a 500 point army to go against some boyz and lootas. What's a good army to win 50% of the time against that? Ideally I want something that plays completely different from orks and is lower on model count so I can take a break from painting boyz and actually make some progress.

There’s a good number of ways to go. Typically you’d want something with equally strong long-range shooting or something with good mobility or reserve movement to drop in close enough to take out the Lootaz before they shred your line.

It all very much depends on what armies you prefer, but Space Marines are a fine relatively low cost/model count army with a lot of options.

Related, here’s an Intercessor unit I finished up a couple hours back:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

swampcow posted:

A patrol of 6 golden boys and a jetbike shield captain.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Pretty sure that's a Morkaknight.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Clawtopsy posted:

Pretty sure that's a Morkaknight.

MorkaKnight would have a KMK/KMB and KFF.

That being said I can make it either or, I just haven’t finished the other arm.

OhDearGodNo fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Feb 24, 2020

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

the castellans iirc cost more than cawl and i really don't like their look otherwise i'd get them instead.

Hersey.

Regardless, 2 Kastelans can output 36 shots of S6 AP-2 D1 that ignores cover (that's a dead intercessor squad) and they have 5+ invul saves that reflect mortal wounds back on the shooter on a 6.
Play the stratagem Wrath of Mars and you'll also be getting mortal wounds for wound rolls of a 6 as well.

But Cawl is awesome too, so you can't really go wrong.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Feb 24, 2020

swampcow
Jul 4, 2011

Thanks guys, I might go with golden boys for now since I can whip them up so fast. I have some space marines from an old beginner set so I might look into that too at some point.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Lord_Hambrose posted:

:hmmyes:

Give me my drat plastic Swooping Hawks GW! You cowards!

Can't wait to see some plastic Swooping Hawks and find out what kind of rocks they're jumping off. The smaller the contact point the better.

OhDearGodNo posted:

This is awesome.

e: lol whoever did my av, thanks for keeping the gang tag in

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
If someone asked me to play a 500 point match I'd assume they wanted some low-power stuff and bring accordingly. It you're packing Cawl and an Onager to 500 points, be clear to your opponent that's what you're doing.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
Quick question for modeling in general (not sure if right thread).

I think one or two of old metal gw models might be lead.

I painted them at the same time I painted an army. What's the chance my paints/models are contaminated with lead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
how old you talking?

most are pewter if metal unless you talking really old.