Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Huzzah! posted:

They already did that and King also took care of it.

Oh I thought we were still waiting on that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Huzzah! posted:

I love that not only did he defeat the monster's disguise, he even killed it.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Huzzah! posted:

Yes, that's the gag. He thought this kid was a monster too.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Gologle posted:

At first I thought Murata's proportions were a little weird until I realized that Tatsumaki was literally twisting Psykos' body like a pretzel.

It looked very painful.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
King is one of the greatest characters in all of manga.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Feb 22, 2020

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

King is the greatest character in all of manga.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

King is one character in manga.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

We stan a King

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
And then he holds hands with the kid. Monsters can be scary, and a hand to hold is a source of comfort.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
One thing I appreciate about this manga, is that even though the story is unfolding at a very slow pace, and this current story arc has already taken years, ONE doesn’t ever seem to forget about any loose ends. I had completely forgotten about the mercenaries that Amai Mask killed, and I never would have thought they would get a call-back.

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost

Elfface posted:

And then he holds hands with the kid. Monsters can be scary, and a hand to hold is a source of comfort.

Yeah the kid did good to help King out there.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I just finally decided to catch up to the manga over the last few days after having watched season 1 back when it came out, and friends, this is a really good manga and I'm glad I decided to finally take the plunge.

TowerofOil
May 22, 2007

You don't need a doctor, I'm a christian scientist.

Bread Liar
Just read new Chapter and

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
King is basically an ordinary civilian with a "don't gently caress with me" aura that affects everybody who knows about him, which makes his efforts to comfort that kid all the more poignant.

That being said, Orochi's remains are probably not intelligent enough to acknowledge his reputation, so things might get a bit tense for him and the kid.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I don't know how, but I completely forgot that Saitama is the reason why the Hero Association exists.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Gologle posted:

I don't know how, but I completely forgot that Saitama is the reason why the Hero Association exists.

its because everyone else in-fiction has

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

King's power is being incredibly goddamned lucky. King has no idea he has this power.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Supersonic Shine posted:

King is basically an ordinary civilian with a "don't gently caress with me" aura that affects everybody who knows about him, which makes his efforts to comfort that kid all the more poignant.

That being said, Orochi's remains are probably not intelligent enough to acknowledge his reputation, so things might get a bit tense for him and the kid.

Are we reading the same manga
Because King, as the strongest, shall be shown deference by all.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Gologle posted:

I don't remember this

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

RC Cola posted:

I don't remember this

the father of the kid Saitama saved from the crab monster went on to start and bankroll the entire Hero Association

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CharlestonJew posted:

the father of the kid Saitama saved from the crab monster went on to start and bankroll the entire Hero Association

no no no that hero had hair, different guy

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Fly Molo posted:

no no no that hero had hair, different guy

yeah nobody's sure who that guy is but they think he could have been a young blast.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

King's power is being incredibly goddamned lucky. King has no idea he has this power.

King has plot armor, perhaps more than even Saitama.

I want an arc where he gains awareness of this vast power and, rather than growing pompous or arrogant, becomes the most selfless and caring of the S-Rank heroes.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
He already is

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Only due to ignorance. I want a story where he becomes self-aware but rather than it going to his head, he just then remains as wholesome and down-to-earth.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

King becoming self aware of the plot armor/luck he has would not only ruin the joke it would arguably even cancel out the power itself.

Right now basically every action King takes is informed by him knowing he is an abject weakling who wants to run away screaming but keeps accidentally appearing like a world class badass and bluffing/lucking his way into major victories.

If he even for a second believed he was being protected by some divine providence it would make him act differently, and acting differently would cancel this whole effect out. Like the "King Engine" itself relies on him being so over-the-top terrified that his heart is beating loud enough for everyone to hear from far away.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
So King = Rincewind. I like it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Guy A. Person posted:

King becoming self aware of the plot armor/luck he has would not only ruin the joke it would arguably even cancel out the power itself.

Right now basically every action King takes is informed by him knowing he is an abject weakling who wants to run away screaming but keeps accidentally appearing like a world class badass and bluffing/lucking his way into major victories.

If he even for a second believed he was being protected by some divine providence it would make him act differently, and acting differently would cancel this whole effect out. Like the "King Engine" itself relies on him being so over-the-top terrified that his heart is beating loud enough for everyone to hear from far away.

You say that but I'm over here thinking of it like Domino from Deadpool 2.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

RareAcumen posted:

They're both awesome characters but for distinct reasons, which I think is better :)

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So the OPM fighting game came out last week. Anyone try it?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah, something like this powerwise.

Guy A. Person posted:

They're both awesome characters but for distinct reasons, which I think is better :)

But see, what I'd want here for is the subversion of a common character arc. Usually, when the coward or the character lacking in confidence gains powers they seesaw all the way to the other end of the spectrum, to arrogance and hubris.

But King, being the strongest and the best, would remain modest and altruistic, helping others with his immense power with no an ounce of ego or bombast. Like a better adjusted Saitama, without all the ennui because for him it isn't about the thrill of fighting, it's just about helping the people who need help. No big deal.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
Still hanging out for the silent king edit, no king thought bubbles

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

RatHat posted:

So the OPM fighting game came out last week. Anyone try it?

Yeah. It's got a fair share of camp and can be fun if you like arena fighters.

I'm a little pissed that it misses the themes of Saitama so badly, but I can kinda give it a break since it has to make concessions as a game.

Genos will get really mad if you steal his lines when talking to Saitama.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Goffer posted:

Still hanging out for the silent king edit, no king thought bubbles

Oh man, this would really good too. Someone should do an edit of this.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
If King ever finds out about his super luck, it's probably going to be towards the end of the manga, when everything is building up to a dramatic finale or, more likely, one last anticlimactic punchline.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Supersonic Shine posted:

If King ever finds out about his super luck, it's probably going to be towards the end of the manga, when everything is building up to a dramatic finale or, more likely, one last anticlimactic punchline.

I'm pretty sure he's aware of it, he just is also genre savvy enough to know that if he loses the edge of his fear, it's all over. That's why he avoids confrontation rather than running into it.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

He's aware of it but knowing it only makes him more afraid.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
New chapter raws are out:

https://tonarinoyj.jp/episode/13933686331604558285

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

Thank goodness! This is the first time the bi-weekly release has been delayed since I started following the updates in real time.

Was starting to worry that Murata had succumbed to Coronavirus!