Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Volte posted:

The appeal of most Souls games to me is that they are actual super accessible, relatively easily learnable games cloaked in a sinister and heavily punishing aesthetic. Death is a narrative device in Dark Souls and the marketing reflected that. The idea that Dark Souls is some kind of absurdly hard game is a straight up myth. Fuckin Crash Bandicoot is approximately 1000 times harder than Dark Souls. I'm by no means a gaming wizard, but I semi-regularly do strolls through Dark Souls just for fun. I haven't played Dark Souls 2 as much but other than the absurd optional co-op areas in the DLC which I had to abandon entirely (talk about runs back...), it is similarly pretty accessible. Bloodborne is way faster, but the rally system and quickstep mechanic go a long way to level the playing field, plus you can get some pretty beefy weapon runes. In fact, I think Bloodborne is probably the game where I have become the most unstoppable out of any of the Souls games. The point isn't that the bosses or enemies are difficult, it's that they are there, and you can hit them until they die. Being difficult is a side effect of you just not knowing how to fight them. But somewhere along the way, around Dark Souls 3, the actual difficulty started to become the point, and to me that's like a core characteristic of the Souls series being left behind. I don't even like exploring Irithyll of the Boreal Valley, as beautiful as it is, because it's just filled to the brim with super fast horseshit enemies that aren't fun to fight more than a few times. That whole bit of the game I've generally just sped through, which is a shame because exploring every corner was always my favourite part of the other ones.
i don’t feel like what you’re saying is contradicting what i said?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Anyone have some advice for troubleshooting connection problems with an Xbox Wireless Controller? I've gotten it to connect to my desktop via Bluetooth before but now it's being extra squirrelly. The interface in Windows 10 to add Bluetooth devices seems to have no effect, but sometimes it will pop up a notification saying it's connected. It doesn't stay connected though -- as soon as I launch Doom the controller isn't responding, even though the system thinks I have the controller connected.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

KazigluBey posted:

Nobody here went that far, outside of whatever strawmen flatluigi is shadowboxing with. "My position: fair and rational. Your position: dumb and so goddamned crazy"-hyperbole-posting sucks, but whatever.

Terminal autist posted:

Movies are allowed to be challenging, books are allowed to be difficult, music is allowed to be obscure and abrasive. I've never understood the sentiment and obsession that all video games need to be accessible. I can't imagine anyone claiming that more esoteric rappers like billy woods or aesop rock need to dumb down their lyrics or explain their references or hardcore punk bands would need to tone down their political content or play less abrasive to attract more people. The soulsborne games clearly sell well enough that they dont need to attract a wider audience that dont appreciate what they are doing and its totally ok to dislike them, steam has a 2 hour refund window and that should give people plenty of time to decide whether or not these games are for them. Frankly its classic gamer entitlement that makes people demand an easier setting, if fromsoft wanted to do it I wouldnt be opposed but they have been making these games for over a decade and they clearly dont want to at this point. You can call me a gatekeeper or whatever else but the truth of the matter is they make a highly tightly balanced game and I get a little concerned if they start to forsake their core fanbase at the attempt to attract more people who dont appreciate what they are doing.

Tl;dr https://mobile.twitter.com/fetusberry/status/1114364382606053378?lang=en completely unironically

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
these are phrased nicer but:

Floodkiller posted:

Sometimes it's the entire point of the game/genre to be inaccessible to the majority of the population and that's okay too.

PantsBandit posted:

Ultimately, yes. And developers shouldn't be expected to cater to everyone's individual preference on how things are done. If you don't like Sekiro's mechanics and hardline stance on player skill, well hey there are lots of other games out there.

the "gently caress off" tone was going off of cowcaster's posts but it turns out that they just don't actually enjoy the games and they weren't actually trying to defend them

edit: and yeah also that one

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i love the dark souls games

Perpetual Hiatus
Oct 29, 2011

On a completely different tangent I am really appreciating the fact that demo's seem way more commonplace again. Both for things that on paper seem like they will extremely float my goat but really need to be played to see (Yoku's Island Express sunk my goat), and for all the games that my graphics card doesnt actually meet the minimum but I can play smoothly anyway (latest= RedOut). I bought Baba Is You after playing the initial gamejam or whatever proof-of-concept. It feels respectful of peoples time and money, and also confidence in the product the studio has developed.

[Obligatory follow up post: Really its just cynically cashing in on perceptions of fairness because people can finally get a refund on steam games, nihilism for president YOLO]

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

yeah fair enough, that post's vibe kinda sucks, especially quoting that cringe rightfully meme'd to hell tweet.

For the record, flatluigi, I'm for more difficulty options in general. I'd just rather they be extremely well realized & well integrated like in, say Celeste, rather than the garbage fire we see in 4Xs or Total War style games. If we end up with more of the former and less of the latter, it's all good.

KazigluBey fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Feb 24, 2020

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

KazigluBey posted:

We live in a cultural post-scarcity, he's not wrong. :shrug: I really enjoyed watching a friend play Football Manager and kinda' wanted to have a go myself, but that thing is basically an insane spreadsheet simulator and I bounced right off. If making a more accessible mode was realistic and didn't drain resources from the main game getting fully featured, I'd be all for it. But if the devs have decided that their time and effort is best spent elsewhere, that's not really a bother for me. I've got plenty of other games I can play, and they're games, it's not the end of the world if I miss one every now and again.

You expressed my feelings exactly. One of the coolest and most unique games I can think of is La-Mulana, but all the things that make it interesting and unique give me 0 desire to actually play it. They could make have a mode with less obscure puzzles or more hints but that just makes it another indie metroidvania, I could look up a guide but then I might as well just watch an LP and get the same experience which I did and enjoyed.

For better or worse even though the marketing way overblows it the souls game are difficult and want and demand a certain level of mastery. Part of the aesthetic of the games is the difficultly it reinforces the sparseness and hostility of the world. There's a reason even in the "easy" mode of summoning help it forces you to interact with the pvp system and get invaded. Trying to appeal to a wider audience is how we ended up with half a generation of dumbed down brown and bloom cover shooters. That was why the original dark souls was so notable because it was one if the first games that wasnt holding your hand or afraid to be difficult and unfair.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
The hardest enemy in DS/DS2 is impatience. If you get impatient, you'll probably leave yourself open or gently caress up. DS3 is kinda bullshit since most enemies flail around haphazardly at 100mph but it's the exception.

They don't waste your time in the way that MGS5 forces you to sit motionless in a 5min-long helicopter ride every time you want to go somewhere. You're (MOSTLY) able to run right past every single enemy/obstacle without getting hit or blocked on the way back to your corpse to pick up right where you left off.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

flatluigi posted:

the conversation just really ends up going like this:

A: "I want to play through X because [the story/the aesthetic/the developers/the fact that a lot of other people are playing it and it's become a cultural touchstone] is compelling to me, but [my very little free time/my personal skills/my personal abilities] keep me from doing it. I wish there were more options in games that would allow for me to play it."
B: "I have the [time/skill/ability] to play through the game and I think the difficulty is [as important/more important than] why you want to play it."
A: "I still want to play it, though?"
B: "Then you should somehow overcome what's stopping you (even if that's not possible) or give up on playing it."
A: "That sucks, but at least you think I should have the option to play more of these games in the future, right?"
B: "I think the difficulty is too important to let you play the game at all, and I think providing options would stop me from enjoying the game as much even if I don't ever pick the options that would make you [enjoy/able to play] it."
A: "That also sucks and I'm not sure why I'm talking to you anymore."

edit: this was typed up before pantsbandit illustrated my point

Lol your whole post is fluff and I don't think I illustrated any point you may have been trying to make.

Yes it would be great if every developer had infinite time and resources to make a game that nobody disliked or had trouble with, but that's not the case. There's nothing wrong with picking a tone and level of challenge that isn't immediately accessible to everyone and I think saying it's "impossible" for some people to overcome the challenge is bullshit. Unless you have a literal handicap that prevents you from being able to improve to the point where you can progress, it's just a matter of trying more.

Or, again, playing a game in a genre and with a level of difficulty that appeals to you. Crazy, I know.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Well since this is the PC thread, people can always just use cheatengine, trainers or mods to customize game difficulty for them. It's probably not ideal but it's there.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Cowcaster posted:

i don’t feel like what you’re saying is contradicting what i said?
The claim was that the series has nothing going for it except for difficult fights, I say the series was never even about difficult fights, it was just about fights and exploration. Any old fights. The vast majority of enemies in Dark Souls aren't that dangerous. They can do a lot of damage if you let them, but it's also not hard to avoid them. It's a dangerous game but it's mostly not that hard to survive if you keep your wits about you and don't play recklessly.

Maybe if Capra Demon didn't have any dogs, people would think Dark Souls is easy.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

KazigluBey posted:

yeah fair enough, that post's vibe kinda sucks, especially quoting that cringe rightfully meme'd to hell tweet.

For the record, flatluigi, I'm for more difficulty options in general. I'd just rather they be extremely well realized & well integrated like in, say Celeste, rather than the garbage fire we see in 4Xs or Total War style games. If we end up with more of the former and less of the latter, it's all good.

Mea culpa in that it was lovely of me to insinuate it was the threads/your position, that was an unnecessary rear end in a top hat move on my part.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Seventh Arrow posted:

I'm playing Far Cry 4 and am on "City of Pain," the mission where you have to get to De Pleur's hideyhole undetected. The stealth in Far Cry is kind of fiddly to begin with, so having to stealth through a whole mission with stingy checkpoints is a bit much. I watched some walkthroughs but it's a lot of StealthGamerBR types who are far too good at scoring headshots. I think the answer is in bringing lots of bait. The best part of Far Cry games is letting a hungry four-legged predator loose on a bunch of soldiers anyways.

Dunno if you've finished it yet but if not, finding a way up onto the roofs made it a million times easier for me after a few false starts.

Perpetual Hiatus posted:

On a completely different tangent I am really appreciating the fact that demo's seem way more commonplace again. Both for things that on paper seem like they will extremely float my goat but really need to be played to see (Yoku's Island Express sunk my goat), and for all the games that my graphics card doesnt actually meet the minimum but I can play smoothly anyway (latest= RedOut). I bought Baba Is You after playing the initial gamejam or whatever proof-of-concept. It feels respectful of peoples time and money, and also confidence in the product the studio has developed.

[Obligatory follow up post: Really its just cynically cashing in on perceptions of fairness because people can finally get a refund on steam games, nihilism for president YOLO]

In addition to this, I recently discovered that there's a whole batch of free "Prologues" on Steam designed to give you a unique taste of upcoming games, including Stoneshard, Builders of Egypt, Backbone, and Not For Broadcast. I've only tried a really cool Shadowgate-esque adventure called From Beyond but I'm planning to try a lot more of them when I have the time. Here's the list on Steam for the lazy.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Andrast posted:

Well since this is the PC thread, people can always just use cheatengine, trainers or mods to customize game difficulty for them

And Sekiro is a single player game so who cares if people use cheat engine

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Cowcaster posted:

i love the dark souls games

if you don't think the series has anything going for it other than difficulty and think the difficulty is as bad as sticking your dick in a beehive I don't know what you're possibly finding enjoyable?

like realtalk, I enjoy the series and I like a ton of what it's going for adjacent to the difficulty and for me personally I didn't find it that hard -- certainly not hard enough for me to not 100% it and go back for multiple playthroughs in the years since. it doesn't stop me from respecting people who can't do the same, though, and it just makes me understand even less the argument that less people should be able to experience the games than possible

PantsBandit posted:

Lol your whole post is fluff and I don't think I illustrated any point you may have been trying to make.

Yes it would be great if every developer had infinite time and resources to make a game that nobody disliked or had trouble with, but that's not the case. There's nothing wrong with picking a tone and level of challenge that isn't immediately accessible to everyone and I think saying it's "impossible" for some people to overcome the challenge is bullshit. Unless you have a literal handicap that prevents you from being able to improve to the point where you can progress, it's just a matter of trying more.

Or, again, playing a game in a genre and with a level of difficulty that appeals to you. Crazy, I know.

i don't think you understood the formatting of my post at all especially when you're straight up going 'it's always possible except when it isn't'

edit: actually I don't know if you read it other than my mentioning your name honestly given your overall response

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

To me this whole conversation is like if someone complained about not having enough time to finish a massive RPG and being like "don't tell me I should play something shorter if I don't have enough time, I should be able to play every video game! The devs should make a version that's 10 hours instead of 100"

Putting it on the dev to make every game beatable by every player is ridiculous.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I'm gonna say something really controversial here, but you can even not play games you don't like.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

PantsBandit posted:

Sekiro's level of difficulty very much appeals to me. What does not appeal to me is the roadblocks on the way to mastery that have nothing to do with skill and are simply about depositing time into the time slot. If I use Cheat Engine to make it impossible to die and I spend a week practicing my skills against Genichiro with impunity, then I go back to the fully unaltered game and wreck him, is that legit? Did I cheat? If so, does that mean that the actual execution of the moves isn't the point of the game, but rather the amount of time you spend on it (i.e. paying your dues)? If not, then what are the possible objections to adding such an ability to the actual game so that anyone can access it, not just people with Cheat Engine? Again this isn't about an obligation on the devs' part to add such a thing, but a rejection of the idea that it would somehow ruin the game.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Putting aside FromSoft for a second, really how lazily are difficulty settings handled in games like Total War or 4Xs like Civilization, huh? Literally just stat bonuses for the AI, or for you on the easier settings (which, I mean... fine I guess). To the point that how factions are supposed to handle breaks down in the extremes; in TW:Warhammer there are factions balanced around their morale breaking fairly easily, but on the hardest difficulty that's just not the case anymore, and it rarely happens to you on the easier modes. I get it, it's easier to slap on some % toggles and call it a day, I just wish they'd had the time and resources to maybe make difficulty settings tie into build-orders/queues, army comps, the AI being more/less reckless, etc...

Hub Cat posted:

Mea culpa in that it was lovely of me to insinuate it was the threads/your position, that was an unnecessary rear end in a top hat move on my part.

It's all good, Hub Cat. :)

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Volte posted:

Sekiro's level of difficulty very much appeals to me. What does not appeal to me is the roadblocks on the way to mastery that have nothing to do with skill and are simply about depositing time into the time slot. If I use Cheat Engine to make it impossible to die and I spend a week practicing my skills against Genichiro with impunity, then I go back to the fully unaltered game and wreck him, is that legit? Did I cheat? If so, does that mean that the actual execution of the moves isn't the point of the game, but rather the amount of time you spend on it (i.e. paying your dues)? If not, then what are the possible objections to adding such an ability to the actual game so that anyone can access it, not just people with Cheat Engine? Again this isn't about an obligation on the devs' part to add such a thing, but a rejection of the idea that it would somehow ruin the game.

I wouldn't mind if that were in the game, but that's your subjective idea of what would make the game more fun or accessible and may not match the next person's idea of an easy mode. You said it yourself, cheat engine can give you the option to play how you want. That's great. It's just not productive for the devs to try and find all the little things that may bother people.

Lots of games do that sort of stuff and that's great, but FROM games pick a specific, curated vision and expect the players to meet them or find their own alternatives and I think that's totally understandable.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

PantsBandit posted:

To me this whole conversation is like if someone complained about not having enough time to finish a massive RPG and being like "don't tell me I should play something shorter if I don't have enough time, I should be able to play every video game! The devs should make a version that's 10 hours instead of 100"

Putting it on the dev to make every game beatable by every player is ridiculous.

beginning to think you don't even know how to read posts in general

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Volte posted:

Yes you cheated but who loving cares, it's a single player game.

I agree that it wouldn't ruin the game, cheat codes should definitely make a comeback too

Andrast fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Feb 24, 2020

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Andrast posted:

Yes you cheated but who loving cares, it's a single player game
Of course. But I think it's absurd to say that you could use the Cheat Engine on a PC copy of Sekiro to cheat at the PS4 version of Sekiro simply by transferring "ill-gotten" skills.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

KazigluBey posted:

Putting aside FromSoft for a second, really how lazily are difficulty settings handled in games like Total War or 4Xs like Civilization, huh? Literally just stat bonuses for the AI, or for you on the easier settings (which, I mean... fine I guess). To the point that how factions are supposed to handle breaks down in the extremes; in TW:Warhammer there are factions balanced around their morale breaking fairly easily, but on the hardest difficulty that's just not the case anymore, and it rarely happens to you on the easier modes. I get it, it's easier to slap on some % toggles and call it a day, I just wish they'd had the time and resources to maybe make difficulty settings tie into build-orders/queues, army comps, the AI being more/less reckless, etc...

I give a pass on 4X difficulties because AI is really loving difficult to design, I don't think the devs are capable of designing better AI or they would have already done it.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

flatluigi posted:

posts don't respect my time

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

flatluigi posted:

If you have an actual issue with something I've said could you try communicating it instead of these whiny poo poo-posts?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

difficulty sure seems to be a

difficult

subject

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

Sometime in the last month I finally crossed the line: I now own over 2,000 games in my steam library. I'm currently scrolling through my unsorted games and being occasionally surprised - "when did I buy that? / why did I buy that?" - and you'd think I could stop buying games now, but alas, no, my wishlist is still going strong.

Meanwhile, I'm down around 350, though after a not-insignificant amount of pruning (yes, actually deleted them from my account, I'm a weirdo).

Now I'm going through the remainder by purchase order; I recently knocked out the first Amnesia, Hitman: Blood Money, and one of the mid-00s Tomb Raider games in the space of two weeks :rock:

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Feb 24, 2020

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

if you're having game problems i feel bad for you son, i got 99 problems but sekiro ain't one.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
More like caught up on the 2017 difficulty debate back log

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Anyone have some advice for troubleshooting connection problems with an Xbox Wireless Controller? I've gotten it to connect to my desktop via Bluetooth before but now it's being extra squirrelly. The interface in Windows 10 to add Bluetooth devices seems to have no effect, but sometimes it will pop up a notification saying it's connected. It doesn't stay connected though -- as soon as I launch Doom the controller isn't responding, even though the system thinks I have the controller connected.

I'd start by connecting it with USB first just to make sure it's working at all. If that worked, you can see if the firmware needs to be updated with the Xbox Accessories app. You can also test the controller from the app.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Thank Christ goons aren't responsible for making games. Can you imagin???

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I can imagine four balls on the edge of a cliff.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Artelier posted:

I tried Dying Light for the free weekend and does the game ever give you a sense of real power and progression? I am trying to enjoy dropkicking zombies but the game is trying its hardest to withhold this joy from me with special zombies and a low damage output.

Keep in mind everything levels up as you progress so your pimped out weapons quickly become worthless compared to the stuff you find laying around. It's a lovely system that only really lets you slaughter enemies effectively immediately after upgrading your stuff and only for like an hour. The rest of your power comes from skills.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
For anyone curious about World of Horror, it's basically exactly like the Arkham or Eldritch Horror board games. Heavy RNG that can be mitigated by event/combat knowledge and items. You run around collecting allies and equipment while solving mysteries and balancing your stamina, reason, and a doom track. Different elder gods will even introduce special rulesets, and characters start with special traits just like the board game too. The game looks pretty feature complete, though there's going to be a bunch of new stuff once it's out of early access. Unless you're a huge Arkham nerd, maybe stay away until it's done, because the gameplay isn't especially deep or anything.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Hwurmp posted:

difficulty sure seems to be a

difficult

subject

:rimshot:

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Too Shy Guy posted:

Dunno if you've finished it yet but if not, finding a way up onto the roofs made it a million times easier for me after a few false starts.

It helps, although sometimes enemies will go up to the roofs too.

Even tigers. That was surprising, to say the least.

Imagine thinking that you're very clever by unleashing a bengal tiger that rips its way through a bunch of soldiers. And then it climbs up on the roof and starts coming your way.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Here's what I do with difficult games:

I beat it on my own, I beat it while using a guide, I beat it while using mods/trainers, or I watch an LP.
-
Just started Divinity: Original Sin 2 on Explorer Mode (40min in). I have to deliberately restrain myself from killing everyone. The first sheep didn't make it.

Jamfrost fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Feb 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Update on my Homeworld Remastered run. I made it to the level where you rescue the Bentusi. God that was a refreshing change after two tedious as hell missions. The Ghost Ship can either be a nightmare where you lose your fleet or a dragged out conflict where you run distraction scouts while fifty bombers flatten the enemy ship.

The next mission highlights the downsides of a fully 3D map by punishing you for going outside of the lanes protected from radiation and it's wonky as hell trying to maneuver large fleets while keeping them from dying in the open.

So it's goddamn great that the next mission is just a straight up fleet battle where you charge in headlong to blow the gently caress out of the taiidan, flatten a heavy cruiser and trade shots with destroyers. There comes a point where your fleet reaches a critical mass and it becomes a firing line that can take on most enemies. You'll still lose ships but you trade incredibly well with enemies. They have to cheat and scale their fleets with dozens of assault frigates just to put a dent in you while you focus down anything with ion weaponry.