Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

People paying like $5 (or whatever a Krono is worth) for an item instead of camping it for possibly 10+ hours isn’t really that crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Party
Jan 3, 2004

Doctor Party Woohoo!
I am probably one of these people who you're referring to who just buys stuff with krono. But for me I like eq but I have a wife and kids and a busy job. I don't have time to camp stuff and really it's way more efficient for me to buy it with money I earn at work than camp it if that makes sense.

I am sure there are people krono farming and making some money. Or people thinking why waste krono when you could just farm it. But think about how much a single krono costs? Maybe nine bucks. Even a minimum wage job pays that or more for just one hour of work. If you have a professional job or anything then you'll get paid much more than one krono an hour essentially. So it just makes way more sense to do my real job and then buy an fbss or a yak or whatever. That being said I've only played on one tlp and probably spent a total of like ten or fifteen krono. Also some people may both enjoy camping things and have the time and that's a totally valid way to enjoy the game. I have neither the time nor the enjoyment for camps haha.

So for me I like raiding and the social aspect of guilds but I hate grinding xp and camping stuff. I guess that's just how I choose to enjoy the game. If I was younger or had less stuff going on I'd probably be on board with the just camp it philosophy.

Doctor Party
Jan 3, 2004

Doctor Party Woohoo!

RCarr posted:

People paying like $5 (or whatever a Krono is worth) for an item instead of camping it for possibly 10+ hours isn’t really that crazy.

Yeah exactly. Like how many hours do you on average need to camp frenzy for an fbss? Definitely could be hours like ten hours or more and also you're constantly fighting off people stealing your camp. All for something worth like ten dollars or twenty dollars. So if you don't enjoy the camp itself or aren't just doing it as part of getting xp then just buy the thing with money and stop torturing yourself.

And if you say well I don't have the money then get a part time job and camp a cash register for eight hours a week at a grocery store. And then buy all the krono you want haha.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I played EQ2 and hated it. I rolled a healer but nobody wanted to group because everyone was capped so I could never play with anyone. When I play these janky old mmos I like ot to be a social experience. Does EQ1 live have the same thing going on? If so I think I'll just make a dude on a private server

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
Seriously depends on the server. Live servers you’ll be assed out until you get close to cap. TLPs will be a crapshoot. The newer servers will have some social leveling, but it’ll be tapering off soon. Coirnav had none. Mangler will have a little bit.

If you have friends, or wait until the expected new TLP announcement, you’ll have a lot more options.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
None of my friends play EQ1 so I think I'll make a dude on Project 99 or whayltever the new hotness on classic servers is. I have WoW for when I don't want to interact with another human being until cap

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
Yeah I can’t easily recommend mangler but that’s because I only played late night PST, and was never really around to see the leveling scene / guilds in the past few months. It’s a great server if you know what you’re in for, but it’s definitely got the feeling of people are there because they want to raid and this is barely no ones first TLP, so everyone knows everyone they want to, sorta?

What I’m getting at is you won’t really find many exp groups that aren’t premades with oog PLs, if they even recruit since a lot of people get stupidly stingy on monopolizing all of unrest for the three hours they are there.

P99 launches their (terrible idea) green server recently. I know that has a bunch of people interested and would be a great EQ fix if you just wanted a nostalgia trip. TLPs are very much not classic EQ.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

onesixtwo posted:

P99 launches their (terrible idea) green server recently. I know that has a bunch of people interested and would be a great EQ fix if you just wanted a nostalgia trip. TLPs are very much not classic EQ.

30 minutes on P99 is enough to help you realize that TLPs are all the classing people can manage to tolerate anymore.

(and even then, we're all begging for FV ruleset and xp bonuses because we *really* don't want that xp grind anymore)

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Hmmm I guess I just don't remember the parses accurately. Either that or I played with some god awful necros

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Tai posted:

Hmmm I guess I just don't remember the parses accurately. Either that or I played with some god awful necros

Entirely the latter i'm sure, in all of my time on Mangler we only ever had three good necros. Oddly enough, all three were first time necros, but very much 100% RA playtime people that joined opening day of the server. Each parse was a different ordering of us depending on who got greedy early on / remembered the resists / didn't let their pet die to something dumb. The good ole' days, before twitching nonstop during trash or while moving through ToV during pre-lcea Kunark. Necro pets start to become useless in VP unless you get a great corner positioning, but are fully not worth summoning IMO in ToV because of all the pbaoe damage that happens.

So long as they are Always Be Casting, FD allows them to basically be a monk with never letting up the sustained damage. Once they have a proper mana pool, between maintaining 4-5 dots (fires, poison if you have the mana pool to do it that shits expensive to maintain / very much for burst fights not of Lady nev duration) and life tapping 2-3 times inbetween a dot re-up cycle, you'd drat near go to 0% mp as the boss died and shame the wizards. Hardest part for bad necros to get down was you need to re-up dots before you lose more than a tick or two of potential damage. Otherwise your parse sucks poo poo.

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Feb 8, 2020

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!

Tai posted:

For us Tai, Necros rarely parsed, and it wasn't due to bad necros. We just killed everything way too fast for necros to soak up to the top. In short burst like the majority of our fights lots of other classes outshine them.

Doctor Party
Jan 3, 2004

Doctor Party Woohoo!
Does anyone know if you can use mercs in dzs?

I have fallen behind on mangler and still want a nostalgia fix here and there. But I don't think i have time to keep up with aas and flags etc. But I was thinking it would be cool to pop a dz and kill aow or something like that with heroic characters.

I think you have to have six in a group to pop a dz though right?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
What was the point of having placeholder mobs? And moreover how did people even figure out what the spawn list of they needed a certain mob or NPC for a quest line?

I knew the game could be obtuse at best, but some poo poo I have no idea how players ever figured out on their own (like the backwards hail for Sirran the Lunatic in Plane of Sky :psyduck:).

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

What was the point of having placeholder mobs? And moreover how did people even figure out what the spawn list of they needed a certain mob or NPC for a quest line?

I knew the game could be obtuse at best, but some poo poo I have no idea how players ever figured out on their own (like the backwards hail for Sirran the Lunatic in Plane of Sky :psyduck:).

The Quest in Everquest is largely just a name. But those quests that did exist, Epic weapons, are mostly all documented / time stamped from old days still on allakhazam posts, it’s pretty cool to see early workings of what people figured out. Mostly, lots of quest dialog and trial and error.

Sirran’s text is one of the coolest things IMO, but he does give away a lot of hints through dialog and if you recognize his text is backwards it a pretty simple response.

Mostly people figured out camps by finding a room with a “safe” spawn pattern to move into and clearing mobs out. Camps got established extremely early on in the old days once unique named mobs were spotted in particular rooms. Then literal weekend long waiting lists were created.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Boredom, ingenuity, and probably sometimes GMs/Guides telling people what to do or giving hints. Once a couple oddball things get figured out, it snowballs because then you know what to do/look for etc.

As for placeholders/spawn lists: time, documentation and data mining, people were using stuff like ZAM or whatever it was/precursors and eventually sussed things out, plus they would religiously document and eventually folks would figure stuff out.

Something I never understood was how the person that gave us this quest: https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?quest=2652 initially figured it out. The poo poo was so cryptic it's insane, honestly I (think) we used that item until we quit in TBS, though maybe it was overshadowed by something else, but there were so many people that had no clue it existed.

Another cool item we ran across that i can't remember the name of was from some event in ToFS, must have happened sometime between DoN and TBS, there were all sorts of new mobs in ToFS for a week or two, at the top floor was a female high elf (I think she was fairly famous as far as game NPCs go) that you weren't supposed to be able to kill. We used MQ and sneaky poo poo and killed her; she dropped a 1hb that proced fairly often (once every 20-30 seconds iirc) that gave the wielder 500 mana (maybe hp too), I think it absorbed from the mob, we ended up looting on our shaman before we knew what it did, which was pretty loving crazy when we put him in angry bear form. That was a fun couple weeks before a GM took it away :(

MF_James fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Feb 21, 2020

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!
Not to mention showeq which will show exactly where on a map something spawns and record the cycle for the next thing that spawns at that location, and countdown the timer when it happens again.

So you'd have a little mark on your map that would say like a (froglok king, froglok XXX knight) and a countdown for the 28 odd minutes it takes to respawn. That sort of thing would be marked and tracked for every mob in the zone and persist so finding most spawn cycles was pretty easy.

Trivializes Quillmane after you figure out the 8ish different spawn areas and keep an eye on whatever spawns each 72 seconds or whatever it was after you kill something. (And ShowEQ has been around since before epic quests were all implemented etc)

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

onesixtwo posted:

The Quest in Everquest is largely just a name. But those quests that did exist, Epic weapons, are mostly all documented / time stamped from old days still on allakhazam posts, it’s pretty cool to see early workings of what people figured out. Mostly, lots of quest dialog and trial and error.

Sirran’s text is one of the coolest things IMO, but he does give away a lot of hints through dialog and if you recognize his text is backwards it a pretty simple response.

Mostly people figured out camps by finding a room with a “safe” spawn pattern to move into and clearing mobs out. Camps got established extremely early on in the old days once unique named mobs were spotted in particular rooms. Then literal weekend long waiting lists were created.

I still remember the early days of epic hunting on Monkly Business and every monk holding their breath to find out if handing the robe of the lost circle and the busted pipes to the skeleton would progress or just eat the items the monk trying it spent hours camping.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
That poo poo ruled, compared to everything being data mined and figured out before the game even leaves beta

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

suuma posted:

That poo poo ruled, compared to everything being data mined and figured out before the game even leaves beta

I mean after Yogg-Saron mathematically being unkillable without an exploit, you are stuck with a choice of beta testing or releasing this stuff to the wild untested. Now a days raids are for the masses, not elite core groups who have time to figure them out.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I mean, what were the devs originally planning for players to do to figure it out? Seems like bad game design for a dev to be thinking "oh, the only real way to figure out our game is if people hack and data mine it." :psyduck: I can't comprehend the original intent other than to just stall for time.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I mean, what were the devs originally planning for players to do to figure it out? Seems like bad game design for a dev to be thinking "oh, the only real way to figure out our game is if people hack and data mine it." :psyduck: I can't comprehend the original intent other than to just stall for time.

$15 a month per player

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

pretty sure there wasn't a lot of forward thinking with EQ.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
before the suits stepped in mmo design was whayever the lead dev thought would be cool whioe high at his d&d session

Willias
Sep 3, 2008

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

They were thinking they were adding stuff players might not ever figure out, and that was cool to them.

But players have a tendency to somehow figure poo poo out.

Devs thought Nagafen and Vox were unkillable. Players killed Nagafen and Vox.

So then they decided, we're going to make an actual unkillable dragon out of Kerafyrm. And then eventually players figured out how to kill that one too.

Doctor Party
Jan 3, 2004

Doctor Party Woohoo!

Willias posted:

They were thinking they were adding stuff players might not ever figure out, and that was cool to them.

But players have a tendency to somehow figure poo poo out.

Devs thought Nagafen and Vox were unkillable. Players killed Nagafen and Vox.

So then they decided, we're going to make an actual unkillable dragon out of Kerafyrm. And then eventually players figured out how to kill that one too.

Yeah but the sleeper should have had some absolutely bonkers loot that was best in slot for three expansions or something.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Willias posted:

Yeah, but then they tried to rig it and intervened to despawn Kerafyrm before relenting and letting the Rallos Zek guilds have another go at it.

^^^yeah, agreed. If there was only one shot to kill the dragon anyways, why not let it drop some ridiculously OP loot?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Yeah, but then they tried to rig it and intervened to despawn Kerafyrm before relenting and letting the Rallos Zek guilds have another go at it.

^^^yeah, agreed. If there was only one shot to kill the dragon anyways, why not let it drop some ridiculously OP loot?

That was always my biggest EQ disappointment. Beyond the probably thousand hours I played it over my life, obviously.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Doctor Party posted:

Yeah but the sleeper should have had some absolutely bonkers loot that was best in slot for three expansions or something.

Maybe, but by the time he was killed he was already 2-3 expansions old and it was only done by graveyard zerging 300 people at him.

Doctor Party
Jan 3, 2004

Doctor Party Woohoo!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Maybe, but by the time he was killed he was already 2-3 expansions old and it was only done by graveyard zerging 300 people at him.

Yeah sure I know the history. Just saying how silly it is they'd think hmm let's put a mob in the game that is technically killable. Ie they didn't make him unhittable or something. Or have like infinite hp with a million regen a second or something.

Like they certainly could have made sleeper unkillable. Not just during velious but during any time frame. But they chose to make him so hard velious Era players couldn't kill him.

So I guess why not put like some 25dm 5 delay plus forty to all stats plus two hundred hp mana end and then some crazy other stuff. And maybe make it usable by every class or whatever. I guess I am saying they knew velious level of gear and probably had plans on how weapons or gear would advance. So make it so this thing could be best in slot for years. Or maybe rare proc or effect that basically never becomes out dated. Like it provides sneak and hide while equipped or some thing crazy like that. And maybe in velious they don't do it. But then as they realize hmm there's still a server or two where sleeper exists how about we give him some loot. Anyway just would have made the whole saga of the sleeper that much cooler haha.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Primal/prismatic weapons are exactly what you're describing. They nearly destroyed the game and took them two expansions to bring poo poo back in line. Having Avatar as a proc shifted the power curve so much it took two expansions for them to level poo poo back out.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Givin posted:

Primal/prismatic weapons are exactly what you're describing. They nearly destroyed the game and took them two expansions to bring poo poo back in line. Having Avatar as a proc shifted the power curve so much it took two expansions for them to level poo poo back out.

Which is hilarious because RZ was the only server to allow farming of those weapons for so long by leaving Kerafym asleep and not having one guild bust in to kill the warders as a 'lol got mine' jab at a rival guild just for beef.

Now a days, even a pve server has the sleeper woken before half the server is even able to the inside of ST. It always impresses me that the server community of RZ was willing to keep that pinata open for years and not screw everyone out of amazing twink gear. That kind of mentality doesn't exist in EQ anymore.

Doctor Party
Jan 3, 2004

Doctor Party Woohoo!

onesixtwo posted:

Which is hilarious because RZ was the only server to allow farming of those weapons for so long by leaving Kerafym asleep and not having one guild bust in to kill the warders as a 'lol got mine' jab at a rival guild just for beef.

Now a days, even a pve server has the sleeper woken before half the server is even able to the inside of ST. It always impresses me that the server community of RZ was willing to keep that pinata open for years and not screw everyone out of amazing twink gear. That kind of mentality doesn't exist in EQ anymore.

Yeah that truly is amazing.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Doctor Party posted:

Yeah that truly is amazing.

Which is even more amazing since RZ was infamous for having vicious PvP and guild rivalries.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Hey whats up, didn't know about this thread but been having a blast on Mangler. Finally starting to get into content I never saw in my original EQ experience (quit mid POP). Wish I had gotten back into this earlier but every time I looked into my character in Live the sheer amount of poo poo going on made my head spin.

Essential
Aug 14, 2003
One of the things I haven't seen posted yet, is that EQ was originally designed to be pay by the hour and therefore was designed from the beginning to have massive time sinks. The pay by the hour went away but the massive time sinks did not.

Doctor Party
Jan 3, 2004

Doctor Party Woohoo!

Essential posted:

One of the things I haven't seen posted yet, is that EQ was originally designed to be pay by the hour and therefore was designed from the beginning to have massive time sinks. The pay by the hour went away but the massive time sinks did not.

Yeah with your AOL minutes based internet service. Plus eq charging you by the minute just to be looking for group in some over crowded single instance zone you'd run out of money by level ten haha.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

Essential posted:

I was there for beta 3 and 4, like we had CDs mailed for the beta program. I do not recall this at all said by anyone. I do recall Brad taking about someone reading war and peace while playing the game and asking for less downtime. Also form comments of the day were so pro downtime it was nuts. I mean you should party and enjoy your lower exp rate.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
For the Rathe council how many enchanters are needed for a 1st attempt ? So the guild is raid geared but only just in the elementals.

There are 6 mezzable mobs and a break pretty much is a dead chanter if my very old memories of the event is accurate.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

Baconroll posted:

For the Rathe council how many enchanters are needed for a 1st attempt ? So the guild is raid geared but only just in the elementals.

There are 6 mezzable mobs and a break pretty much is a dead chanter if my very old memories of the event is accurate.

Bards are the best here as single songs won't fizzle and I think both enchanter and bard mez stack now.

The event if I recall broke guilds before the nerf (that the mac server never got).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Which is even more amazing since RZ was infamous for having vicious PvP and guild rivalries.

I believe that went hand in hand didn't it? ST wasn't instanced so there was nothing to stop a guild from swarming in and trashing attempts on the warders if someone tried to kill the 4th one.