Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Is anyone playing? I put in some good hours lately and the channel is dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Same. I mostly just go with pubbie groups from LFG or the Indom TF channel. Usually fairly good

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I'm basically on hiatus until new costumes are added and they open up color selection. I haven't seen a goon group in a couple months.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I've been popping in every couple days while recovering from surgery, but I'm gonna be headed back to work in a week or so.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I wanna see an update which makes everything feel as good as titan weapons with lots of +rech and +end

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Inzombiac posted:

Is anyone playing? I put in some good hours lately and the channel is dead.

Been playing a ton but mostly on Excel. Only talk occasionally in game though, usually post more on discord.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I do sorta wish I'd have camped my main characters' names on Excelsior just in case the goon groups die out because Excelsior has so many more players and it's gonna hurt having to rename my characters if I ever need to move them over.

I haven't played in a couple months but I did play in some goon groups last time I did play, and I'll probably be back to regular play pretty soon. I'm feeling the CoX itch.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Wait, is Excelsior now the main server?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

Wait, is Excelsior now the main server?

No, not for goons, it just has a massively higher population than any other server overall. I was only saying that if goons start to drift away it'd be easier to find people to play with on Excelsior by virtue of there being like triple the players logged on at any given time. I'm still on Indom and I think most posters here are, too.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

several of us occasionally suggest to just start moving to excelsior but it hasn't gained much traction yet

I'd be in favor tbqh

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Can't you freely switch between servers for no penalty?

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

yes, i have transferred my excel chars to indom on occasion to join a goon tf. for my chars with more popular names i xfer over and then immediately re-name one of my junk alts to squat on it until i'm ready to return.

e: limit of 5 a day but whatever!

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Feb 24, 2020

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Pretty much, yeah. My only issue is that my main character's name is taken over on Excelsior and I can't think of an even remotely good alternative name so moving over would make me very sad. Though if everyone just agrees to move over it might be worth it, I guess.

Actually I just checked and like none of my good character names are available on Excel :negative:

Harrow fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Feb 25, 2020

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

I have a character that was on live, one of my first in 2004-5 Ruby Rose

At the time, non copy-written name.

Now, its both a main character for a anime, and a actress getting a ton of exposure.

I get tells about I better not be from Rwby. Or.. Assaut rife/martia arts.. woudnt titan weapon fit better?

Or that they Love Batwoman. That one i kinda leaned in, and have 3-4 bat family themed outfits.

Donn why i wanted to share this. Its annoying as poo poo though. And i worry about some GM getting a hair up their butt and generic hitting me.

winterwerefox fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Feb 25, 2020

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

I haven’t been on in a minute but I’m getting the itch again

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

HC put up a pretty big beta update

Experimentation pool, Dark Melee getting its own Lightning Rod, a new Shock Therapy primary for Defenders, and a few new IO sets.

Also you can push MM henchmen out of the way.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Overall very cool, I like the new set and IOs. The set is definitely unique and I'll give it a shot. It's thankfully not going to be a broken rear end Time Manip competitor, but it should be overall good and have its own niche.

Squiggly Beast
Apr 29, 2009

orksorksOrksORKS!
:orks: :orks101:
Gravy Boat 2k

Tsurupettan posted:

Overall very cool, I like the new set and IOs. The set is definitely unique and I'll give it a shot. It's thankfully not going to be a broken rear end Time Manip competitor, but it should be overall good and have its own niche.

Yeah, it looks like a blast from the past with all of the ally-only support powers. It's never going to be as popular as Time or /Dark Affinity - which were horrible mistakes by the live devs that can't be fixed at this point without alienating loads of players - but it has neat flavour, and the +special powers could be cool.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

:stoked: to see new power sets to play with

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I want to make a Water/Storm Corruptor but I cannot come up with a costume to save my life.

I reserved the name "Blood Bender" but that's as far as I've gotten.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
drat, those Dark Melee changes are sexy.

Now if only they could make Stone Armor not a complete piece of poo poo. Then I'd roll up one of my old mains. The Brute buffs being a cherry on top...

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
kinda feeling the urge to jump back in, if i wanted to make a wolverine type character did they ever make regen not suck

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

site posted:

kinda feeling the urge to jump back in, if i wanted to make a wolverine type character did they ever make regen not suck

No, Regen needs billions of inf to compare to other armor sets and falls short still. Or rely on teammates. Willpower is good and fine though.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
kk ty

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

John Murdoch posted:

drat, those Dark Melee changes are sexy.

Now if only they could make Stone Armor not a complete piece of poo poo. Then I'd roll up one of my old mains. The Brute buffs being a cherry on top...

I thought they did that when they let you stack armors? Same as ice, except ice was even worse because its status protection counted as an armor?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Every armor set worked that way at launch AFAIK; all of their status protection powers counted as one of the 3-4 toggles you were allowed to run one of at a time.

Stone Armor will forever be poo poo as long as Rooted has the pointless movement penalty attached and Granite Armor is so obviously broken and badly designed that the entire set is forced to hinge around its existence, despite not having access to it for at least 31 levels beforehand.

That fact that Granite Armor completely overwrites your costume doesn't help.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Feb 25, 2020

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Milky Ren posted:

Yeah, it looks like a blast from the past with all of the ally-only support powers. It's never going to be as popular as Time or /Dark Affinity - which were horrible mistakes by the live devs that can't be fixed at this point without alienating loads of players - but it has neat flavour, and the +special powers could be cool.

Okay, I'll bite - why are time and dark so broken good?

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

John Murdoch posted:

And I'll ask why Storm Armour is a complete piece of poo poo then. Still want to run that sometime but lol free time.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Dinictus posted:

And I'll ask why Storm Armour is a complete piece of poo poo then. Still want to run that sometime but lol free time.

...now I want a Storm Armor powerset.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

DMW45 posted:

...now I want a Storm Armor powerset.

Electric Armor + Vapor/Thunderhead aura?

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Glazius posted:

Dark is actually two sets - Miasma and Affinity. Miasma was the launch version of the set, which is just this great mix of debuffing and control. It's got -res, it's got -dmg, it's got a big beefy heal, it's got a giant cone of fear, it's got a big stun that doubles as an AOE rez, it's got a hold, it's got a team stealth power. Everything it does provides -tohit to effectively give your team more defense. Then you get the Dark Servant who does almost everything you do and is just this big force multiplier. To shove all of that on a Defender set is really good! Affinity is the Controller secondary that got ported a while back, and replaces the hold and fear (because those are so good they wound up in a Controller primary set) with real big +defense and +regen/recovery buffs.

Time is similarly good because of the sheer amount of variety. It's a little less control for a lot more team buffing. Like the Affinity version, you can throw out huge chunks of +defense and a lot of +recharge (that you can make permanent) plus some selective +damage and more +recharge on teammates. You've still got your holds, your -def/res, your healing, and a whole lot of slow effects. It even manages to squeeze in some small but more consistent -regen.

It's just a really good variety, especially compared to one trick sets like Empathy or Force Field, or even a debuff variety set like Trick Arrow which is still outdone on variety.

Dinictus posted:

It's pretty much as simple as mentioned: Granite Armor sucks rear end. You can't use it at the same time as your other armor powers, so the whole set builds up and up and up... for you to have to ditch the poo poo you've already been using. On top of that, you're penalized for having the audacity to use Granite Armor by reducing your damage, making you slow as gently caress, and locking out every travel power besides Teleport. The rest of the armor powers are comparatively pretty bad, so either skipping or taking Granite is this weird exercise in masochism. Granite's numbers are really strong for a single toggle, but it still has a hole of defense against psionic damage. Also, your costume is completely overwritten.

I can't think of a good reason to play it besides morbid curiosity.

Squiggly Beast
Apr 29, 2009

orksorksOrksORKS!
:orks: :orks101:
Gravy Boat 2k

Glazius posted:

Abroham Lincoln actually summed it up pretty effectively. They're extremely powerful hybrid sets that generally offer way more than the (usually older) focused sets like empathy, sonic and FF.

To make matters worse, their interaction with powerboost/+special is pretty good to say the least. Powerboosting before using Farsight or Fade turns these powers into 2 minute duration +25(ish) to ALL defense clickies - which is absolutely bonkers and is the main mechanic I can't see them changing at this stage. A lot of people rolled Time or /Dark purely to make use of this mechanic. It also makes putting together an IO build much easier. No need to struggle with 6-slotting non-optimal powers to eke out an extra 3% ranged defense, can just cram a bunch more damage procs in there instead.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Milky Ren posted:

Abroham Lincoln actually summed it up pretty effectively. They're extremely powerful hybrid sets that generally offer way more than the (usually older) focused sets like empathy, sonic and FF.

To make matters worse, their interaction with powerboost/+special is pretty good to say the least. Powerboosting before using Farsight or Fade turns these powers into 2 minute duration +25(ish) to ALL defense clickies - which is absolutely bonkers and is the main mechanic I can't see them changing at this stage. A lot of people rolled Time or /Dark purely to make use of this mechanic. It also makes putting together an IO build much easier. No need to struggle with 6-slotting non-optimal powers to eke out an extra 3% ranged defense, can just cram a bunch more damage procs in there instead.

Ah, the powerboost element is something I hadn't considered. I might see them making a portion of the defense boost unenhanceable? Does that work with powerboost?

I realize this is going to sound powerfully stupid, but I like powersets where not all the powers are things you'll always want so you can experiment with power pools. Like, you can get by with the two force field bubbles and the area bubble, but there's a lot less skippable in cold domination.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

my time defender craps out a ~34% all def farsight and if i clarion'd it it'd be 44%. that's with agility though. also makes sure everyone hits +4s pretty much. controller can push 25-35% depending on incarnates with darkness affinity or time manip. this isn't even considering shadowfall or maneuvers. at the very least it creates a lot of personal build freedom by letting you go 'yup, defenses are handled'.

at the same time, most of the other powers are useful so it isn't a one-trick pony. darkness affinity has one completely skippable power (black hole) and one reasonable to skip (darkest night). time can skip time crawl (on defs, arguably), distortion field (reads way better on paper than in practice and kind of weak for proccing out), and time stop (though it procs out very well + if you have a hold in your primary you can stack on bosses).

the only thing i actually dislike about time is one of the same things i dislike about empathy, which is Temporal Selection encourages the 'go down the list tagging a person every 15s with buff' gameplay

Old_Screwtape
Nov 18, 2014
Just to elaborate on it a bit further, Stone Armor is a defense based set that provides lackluster numbers up to level 32 on your main armors (Rock and Crystal Armors only give 25% def. to s/l and e/neg. e, respectively, when fully slotted out), so you have to pour lots of inf. into ios to make up for those numbers. Brimstone Armor bizarrely provides *resist* to fire/cold, creating a weird hole in your defense prior to and outside of Granite. Additionally, Rooted blocks one's choices in travel powers by preventing Combat Jumping or Hover or SS (or even Sprint) from being run concurrently while imposing a run speed and jumping penalty that necessitates taking Teleport to get anywhere.

And, Granite makes this all worse. It makes up for the set's defense values and adds in a hefty amount of res on top of it, but at the cost of flooring one's recharge (hasten barely gets recharge back in the black), damage, and movement (stack with the movement speed penalty of Rooted). So hasten, weave or maneuvers, and assault need to be picked up to compensate. Heavy/expensive io-ing also helps but the set bonus numbers really don't dent the self-imposed debuff numbers very well. To add the insult to injury, Granite makes you look like a DE minion-which kinda defeats the value of spending time on your costume at all. Anecdotally, Granite has the further issue of having teams will probably expect^/force you to be in Granite all the time but will leave you behind as they steamroll mobs ahead.

^ I once had a team leader have a meltdown in team chat that I was a drag on the team because I was not in Granite - despite the fact that, between being io-ed to the gills and team buffs, I was softcapped to everything and not dying at all; only when the other members of the team pointed this out *repeatedly* did the team leader relent.

Old_Screwtape fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Feb 26, 2020

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Doesn't Speed Boost negate Granite/Rooted -Move, or am I remembering wrong?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Kheldarn posted:

Doesn't Speed Boost negate Granite/Rooted -Move, or am I remembering wrong?

The net effect is that you're moving at about 80% of normal running speed. Still annoying as hell.

My two cents: remove the movement restriction, and give a small buff to the armors that can't be used at the same time as Granite.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Milky Ren posted:

Wait, you can power boost defense clickies? Does that work on something like Dark Miasma's Shadow Fall? :eyepop:

I ended up using Scorpion Shield to soft cap SLE defense on my Dual Pistols/Dark Corruptor but drat, now I really want to try a Time Manip Defender with a way to power boost Farsight.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Feb 26, 2020

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Harrow posted:

Wait, you can power boost defense clickies? Does that work on something like Dark Miasma's Shadow Fall? :eyepop:

I ended up using Scorpion Shield to soft cap SLE defense on my Dual Pistols/Dark Corruptor but drat, now I really want to try a Time Manip Defender with a way to power boost Farsight.

Toggles are updated when power boost is applied/fades. Clickies last the entire duration if they are clicked when PB is up. There's two power boost options in epic/patron pools iirc. I prefer power boost and not power build up as PB's recharge is much shorter and gives you more flexibility with using it for things other than PBing the def buffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Another way Stone Armor suffers compared to other sets is that it gets almost gently caress-all for exotic debuff resistances, which make the suckiness of the basic toggles even worse. Also don't forget its one passive, S/L resistance, pairs oh so elegantly with its S/L defense toggle. :bang:

Though honestly I feel like just ripping out the movement debuffs and upping the basic numbers won't actually fix the problem, only make the set more tolerable to play. Unless the basic toggles can compete with Granite (obviously never gonna happen) or Granite gets some kind of meaningful penalty that can't be easily mitigated to prevent you from running it 100% of the time...thereby ruining the ~uniqueness~ of the power and pissing people off, then you're still gonna hit 32/38 and probably be better off just running Granite all the time.

Would could have guessed that letting you run around with protection on par with other sets' tier 9 power but all the time with no crash would be a terrible idea??

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Feb 26, 2020