Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Vahakyla posted:

New illumination patch.

ooooo just in time for my F18 grip showing up.

How's the performance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Jarmak posted:

How's the performance?

You know.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

2.5.6 Known Issues posted:

Bf-109: engine start doesn't work

Ah, there’s good ol’ Eagle Dynamics.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

power crystals posted:

Ah, there’s good ol’ Eagle Dynamics.

historical accuracy

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Orv posted:

You know.

I mean like... relatively

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Jarmak posted:

ooooo just in time for my F18 grip showing up.

How's the performance?

Just in time for my RTX 2060.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Looks kinda gross in those screenshots tbh. Like radioactive poop on the ground.

Scope
Jun 6, 2003

Updates to the KA-50 cockpit? What sort of updates? Still my favorite module.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Scope posted:

More detailed mesh, higher-resolution textures, corrected lighting (so button lights actually light up the buttons, for instance).

e: Oh, and this is something separate from the upcoming for-pay Black Shark 3 release, which updates a couple of old systems and adds a few new ones (most notably better threat warning and Igla anti-air missiles).

Tippis fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Feb 15, 2020

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Anyone else preorder the carrier on steam with the discount coupon? I seem to have found myself surprise owning the Su-33 now without paying for it?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Jarmak posted:

Anyone else preorder the carrier on steam with the discount coupon? I seem to have found myself surprise owning the Su-33 now without paying for it?

Yes. The Supercarrier also comes with the -33 in case you bought a boat without anything that could land on one.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

PSA with the new patch: JF-17 drivers should prioritize getting the engine on, and air flowing through their mask. You will suffocate on the ground otherwise. Imagine the crew chief ripped terrible rear end in your cockpit and your first priority is fresh air.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Gonna take a break from DCS Huey to play Super Huey for the Atari 800XL. Old combat sims came up in the flight sim thread, and I ended up tracking that game down. It holds up surprisingly well for a 1986 title, and the opening sequence is just as lovely as I remember from when I was 5 :allears:.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nblRiGoEQ34

Words about it.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Scope posted:

This came out today. I'll just pull up an existing map and-

dcs.log posted:

EDCORE: # C0000005 ACCESS_VIOLATION at 29D9D903 00:00000000
Right, so, that's out. At least the Fast Mission menu finally shows coalition setting for the country dropdown. I also think this "Enemy AI Skill" option is new.

It does look immensely better, upgrading the Ka-50's textures from "rear end" to "actually pretty good" though the toggle switches along the right side still look weird:

It's also now next to impossible to hit the ejection system arm switches even with TrackIR (there's like a single pixel where you hit the switch instead of the cover) to the point that I have no idea if they even tested doing a cold start. This is ED so, 50/50.

Bonus Nevada at night for the lighting changes (but from a Hornet because I can't fly the Ka-50 for poo poo):

Steam's jpeg compression isn't doing it a lot of justice, to be honest. If anything now it's too bright.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

BurntCornMuffin posted:

PSA with the new patch: JF-17 drivers should prioritize getting the engine on, and air flowing through their mask. You will suffocate on the ground otherwise. Imagine the crew chief ripped terrible rear end in your cockpit and your first priority is fresh air.

holy poo poo

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Eagle Dynamics posted:

That's, uh, one way to avoid having a swastika on your German warbird skin

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
I bet if you guys keep feeding money to ED they might finish a module. Eventually.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Is there a good reason we haven’t gotten any high fidelity modern Russian fighters? Su-30SM would be badass and would supplement the FC3 Su-27/33 in the same way the Strike Eagle will the F-15C.

I know why we won’t see a F-22 or a Su-57, but surely 4th gen fighters are no longer ultra classified.

E: Also while we are at it why not make a FC3 style pack with all the planes they can’t get the intricate details of? It’s better than nothing.

EvilBlackRailgun fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Feb 22, 2020

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Classification isn't the problem; there are tons of MiG-29s all over the world, even some in private hands, that ED could use for reference if they had to.

The problem, I've heard, is simply that the Russian government has politely asked them not to make a high-accuracy simulation of any current frontline aircraft, and because ED is in Russia, that's that.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

EvilBlackRailgun posted:

I know why we won’t see a F-22 or a Su-57, but surely 4th gen fighters are no longer ultra classified.

any frontline aircraft is ultra classified

that being said, i'm always curious why that fidelity level really matters...like it is opaque to all of us, why not just make a best guess about this stuff and not even have to worry about illegally smuggling ancient F-16 manuals

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

The problem, I've heard, is simply that the Russian government has politely asked them not to make a high-accuracy simulation of any current frontline aircraft, and because ED is in Russia, that's that.

ED should move to the Ukraine or something and get on that lol.

I know it’s not that simple but it would be cool if they let a third party do it.

bewbies posted:

that being said, i'm always curious why that fidelity level really matters...like it is opaque to all of us, why not just make a best guess about this stuff and not even have to worry about illegally smuggling ancient F-16 manuals

FC4 pack with a Typhoon, F-22, F-35B, Su-30/34, Rafale, Su-57, ect would be a insta buy from me. Maybe throw some bombers in there too since they are significantly more complicated than a single seat fighter, and would work better with the advanced flight model over the pro.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
So I just got a T1600000000000000000M and setting stuff up for DCS. I got the FC F-15 to ease myself in.

Which view setting is it to look around the cockpit? I want to look around with the stick on the throttle where my index finger rests.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

Classification isn't the problem; there are tons of MiG-29s all over the world, even some in private hands, that ED could use for reference if they had to.

They've said it'd be fine if a third party did it however, and honestly given ED's track record with modules that's probably for the best

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012
I would love an SU-34 Fullback. That thing looks so cool to me.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Id settle for a Su-24M. Theres a mod in progress for one at least.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
RAZBAM are working on a Mig-23 Flogger currently, well still dated is a pretty cool addition.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I hope that the "highly anticipated" plane ED is talking about is either an A-6 or an F-4 but knowing how these things tend to go it's probably going to be whichever small European jet trainer they haven't yet got. Alphajet?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

I hope that the "highly anticipated" plane ED is talking about is either an A-6 or an F-4 but knowing how these things tend to go it's probably going to be whichever small European jet trainer they haven't yet got. Alphajet?

Aermacchi M-346.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Sagebrush posted:

They've already announced an F-4. Or someone has.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah but that was like 5 years ago and nothing happened with it and it was by belsimtek, which is owned by ED, so I wouldn't put it past them to re-announce it as if it's new

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Christen Eagle II Remastered

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah but that was like 5 years ago and nothing happened with it and it was by belsimtek, which is owned by ED, so I wouldn't put it past them to re-announce it as if it's new

They put it on hold to work on the F-16 (and possibly said secret project) which is probably a decent financial decision but still disappointing.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Dandywalken posted:

Christen Eagle II Remastered

Finally.
Best plane made besterer.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

DCS: Yak-52M

ALL NEW

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
The A-7 Corsair II was just announced, though it's from a third-party, so not the BIG ANNOUNCEMENT.

https://flyingironsimulations.com/blogs/news/dcs-a-7e-corsair-ii-by-flyingiron-sims

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

:magical: Big enough. Hello guppy plane!

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK
The SLUF should be a lot of fun, and it’ll be interesting to compare it to the F-8 that another third party is working on.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

I'm down for more naval aviation

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
I wonder if it will have a damage model on release and not crash when starting the engines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Top Hats Monthly posted:

I wonder if it will have a damage model on release and not crash when starting the engines

It's not made by ED, so odds are in its favour.