Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Nvidia Shield TV is my vote as long as you don't have itunes content. While not the cheapest option, they have a remote, it does have Chromecast built , 4K, has pretty much every streaming service except Apple, and Nvidia has done a great job keeping them up to date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I've been a lot happier with my Shield 2019 tube than I was with my Shield Pro OG. Finally having Dolby Vision and Atmos is very nice and it actually handles 24fps content (not just 23.97 fps) content properly unlike the AppleTV.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I would definitely pay good money for a replica of the appletv remote with a D-pad instead of the touchpad.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

jokes posted:

I would definitely pay good money for a replica of the appletv remote with a D-pad instead of the touchpad.

If you don't mind losing the Volume controls, the older non-touch Apple TV remotes work with the new ones still.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I have ATV4k's, Shield and a Roku Ultra and the ATV is the clear winner with the Shield 2nd if you are already used to the simple Android TV layout. As mentioned above get a spare old silver remote as well so you aren't limited to just a single siri remote. Also, a Harmony 665 works.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Flipside: I really enjoy the Siri trackpad remote.

Would still love at least a mute button though. And a locator signal ala AirPods.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Keyser_Soze posted:

I have ATV4k's, Shield and a Roku Ultra and the ATV is the clear winner with the Shield 2nd if you are already used to the simple Android TV layout. As mentioned above get a spare old silver remote as well so you aren't limited to just a single siri remote. Also, a Harmony 665 works.

The problem with ATV is right now it can't display newer Netflix content correctly. Netflix went to pure 24fps for a lot of their newer originals rather than the legacy 23.976 fps that's traditionally been used (which is a holdover hack of putting color in NTSC.)

AppleTV takes the 24fps source and then displays it at 23.976fps which creates a frame hitch and potential slight loss of audio sync every few minutes.

The Shield TV implementation isn't exactly great (you have to manually chose the correct refresh rate), but you can actually choose between 24hz and 23.976hz to match the content properly.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

bull3964 posted:

The problem with ATV is right now it can't display newer Netflix content correctly. Netflix went to pure 24fps for a lot of their newer originals rather than the legacy 23.976 fps that's traditionally been used (which is a holdover hack of putting color in NTSC.)

AppleTV takes the 24fps source and then displays it at 23.976fps which creates a frame hitch and potential slight loss of audio sync every few minutes.

THANK YOU for posting this! I’ve been noticing intermittent frame jumps on some of my media for months now, but it happened seemingly so randomly that I could never figure out what was causing it. My theory was that it had something to do with the tv and the streaming device not being on the same page framerate-wise, but I was never able to completely diagnose what was happening or why it was happening. After reading extensively about this issue, this is almost certainly it. So thanks!!

And hopefully Apple fixes it in tvOS 14.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I just love that in the era of 4k with HDR that we are still getting bitten by 100 year old standards.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I probably would have been able to diagnose it a lot sooner if LG would just show the drat refresh rate in the GUI.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I've actually liked the ATV trackpad for the most part; the problem is that different apps/services sometimes have drastically different scrolling sensitivities. For example Philo takes forever to scroll through a program, wheras the scrubbing in YouTube TV feels way too fast and I end up overshooting everything. It was bad enough with YouTube TV that I bought an alternative remote (which had a mute button, so it brought a legit QOL improvement to the table at least).

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Finally made the switch from Xfinity to Fios + Youtube TV yesterday. Watching TV isn't as simple as it was before and I'm going to miss the voice remote, but the video quality (on a wired connection) is a clear step up and I have all of the channels I need.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

If YoutubeTv ever sets up a deal with Marquee Network, then my sister will split it with me. Right now, she is talking of doing Hulu Live just because they are going to have it.

DirectTV is the only thing in our area carrying it. The regional cable company stopped offering it 20 miles north of us.

I have had YouTubeTv since October now and I really like it. I am hoping to be able to split the cost with someone else in the area but I am willing to eat the whole cost right now.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Yeah, right now I'm paying $125 a month for gigabit fiber + YTTV, versus $115 for 200mbps + cable on Xfinity. With the $200 in gift cards I'm going to get from Verizon, I'm going to end up saving money this year. I actually ended up getting a better channel bundle, too - I basically only care about sports, and YTTV has CBSSN, ESPN U, SEC Network, and NBA TV, which my Xfinity bundle was missing. The only channel I'll somewhat miss is MASN (regional sports network), which means I'll miss the 9 or so games that my out-of-region baseball team will play against the Nats/O's.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

If you want, there is a MLB TV sharing thread in Coupons and Deals. If you join up with a group, you get all out of market and non-national broadcast games for $25 or so.

Edit: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3914848

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

If you want, there is a MLB TV sharing thread in Coupons and Deals. If you join up with a group, you get all out of market and non-national broadcast games for $25 or so.

Edit: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3914848

Also if you have T-Mobile you get it for free (or did the past few years).

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I used to head up a sharing group over there. If you’re a baseball junkie it’s a great deal. I was able to watch all 3 perfect games in 2012 live. Infinity better than watching a replay later.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

If only the NBA was also so desperate for young viewers that they actually cared about league pass and basically gave it away like that.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I like the Roku remotes.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

I’m getting really frustrated with the fire tv stick experience. Not for me, for “Grandma”. She’s a mid 70s technophobe who cut off her directv after being fleeced by those jerks forever. She’s got “xfinity” cable internet with their router / modem combo unit. She’s got 1 tv in the living room with a firetv stick 4K (first version) and 1 in the bedroom with the new model firetv stick 4K.
She subscribed to cbs all access and uses my hulu account. Even though I can confirm that nobody else is using my hulu account she gets errors from it and it gives her a playlist error which I’ve read is a problem with hulu on the fire tv platform that they may or may not fix ever.
CBS app is sluggish and glitchy, with times that it will refuse to play.
Anyone else having issues with a similar setup recently?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Hulu is a piece of poo poo with regards to reliability. I get errors every other day on it semi-randomly. It’s also the only app that fucks up connecting to my HomePods.

YouTube is worse, actually, but I think that’s by design.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

jokes posted:

Hulu is a piece of poo poo with regards to reliability. I get errors every other day on it semi-randomly. It’s also the only app that fucks up connecting to my HomePods.

They keep logging me out on all my devices because I'm not using it. Making it more of a hassle to use sure makes me want to use it more! :rolleyes:

If it weren't included with my wireless plan, I wouldn't use it at all.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

astral posted:

If it weren't included with my wireless plan, I wouldn't use it at all.

What’s up, sprint buddy? I thought being a sprint customer was like highlander. There can be only one.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I've never had a tiny bit of trouble with the Hulu app across a bunch of platforms (Android, Roku, LG WebOS.)

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

I haven't had any problems with Hulu since I sideloaded the old version of their app on my Shield TV, from before the awful new UI.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
My only Hulu beef is that it's laggy as hell on my 5 year old Sony Android TV. That seems like an easy enough fix...but that reminds me: If I went with Harmony remotes for my Living Room and Bedroom TVs, do I need 2 hubs?

My wife hates our Roku remote because it's so small and gets easily lost, and if I went with an Apple TV in the bedroom, I only want her to use one remote in there. Harmony is the answer but I can't figure out the hub situation.

edit: cutting the cord is expensive

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Yes 1 hub and remote companion (or whatever they call that thing these days) per viewing setup. The handheld part can only communicate with a single hub.

Now the phone app can flip between hubs with no issues pretty easily. If you are able to/prefer controlling the hub with the phone app, then the physical remote companion isn't really needed.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Also, the hub is what emits the infrared signals, so there needs to be one hub in proximity to what is being controlled.

If your devices were PURELY ip controlled, you could probably get away with a single hub by having all the devices paired to it and having activities named for the room they are in. However, in that situation, a hub can only run one activity at a time so if you were in "watch TV" activity in room A, you couldn't run the "watch TV" activity in Room b and would have to resort to using the app and picking individual devices to control.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

otter posted:

What’s up, sprint buddy? I thought being a sprint customer was like highlander. There can be only one.

Worry not! The Sprint sequel is coming out soon, and it will pretend none of that ever happened.

re: your original post: I've found the Roku devices (stick or otherwise) to be extremely user-friendly for elderly technophobe relatives; the remote has a very simple layout and the interface itself is pretty straightforward. Good app selection, too. Responsiveness has come a long way from the early models as well; they UI is quite speedy these days.

If they are also against voice controls, do note that most models have a voice control button. For those, you can buy an IR "simple remote" that doesn't have a voice button directly from Roku for an extra $15 or re-pair an older Roku RF remote if you have one of those around. Looks like they don't sell any RF-based simple remotes these days, though.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Lame, Youtube TV is losing all of the Sinclair owned Fox RSNs.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Lol licensing, it only ever gets worse

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Looks like I'll be searching for a new provider. Baseball is about to start.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Luceo posted:

I haven't had any problems with Hulu since I sideloaded the old version of their app on my Shield TV, from before the awful new UI.

It's truly awful. It's like it actively fights against trying to watch anything but the latest episode of a show.

At least they fixed the issue that caused 3rd party controllers to not be able to select anything within the app

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

jabro posted:

Looks like I'll be searching for a new provider. Baseball is about to start.

If you have T-Mobile, they're doing another year of free MLB.tv this year. Sign ups on March 24th. That gets me most of the games.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

8-bit Miniboss posted:

If you have T-Mobile, they're doing another year of free MLB.tv this year. Sign ups on March 24th. That gets me most of the games.

I have mlb.tv already but doesn’t cover local teams. Good looking out though.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

jabro posted:

I have mlb.tv already but doesn’t cover local teams. Good looking out though.

A dns service should solve that and be more transparent than a vpn.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Welp, got an email from YouTube TV starting that as of Saturday, Fox Sports Midwest (and all of the regional sports channels) are gone because Satan worshipping Sinclair is trying to screw them over.

Cubs and Cardinals games were going to keep me subscribed during the summer but, if they are gone, (Sinclair also owns the new Cubs channel that is demanding top fees) then I guess I will just drop it until new shows come back on.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

jokes posted:

YouTube is worse, actually, but I think that’s by design.

OK because I have horrible reliability with Hulu and have blamed it on some undiagnosed hardware/connection issue.

I get connection errors and loss in quality all the time to the point where I would cancel in a heartbeat if there was an obvious replacement service.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Welp, got an email from YouTube TV starting that as of Saturday, Fox Sports Midwest (and all of the regional sports channels) are gone because Satan worshipping Sinclair is trying to screw them over.

Cubs and Cardinals games were going to keep me subscribed during the summer but, if they are gone, (Sinclair also owns the new Cubs channel that is demanding top fees) then I guess I will just drop it until new shows come back on.

You guys know we have a MLB.TV sharing thread right? (I run a group and have an opening still)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

otter posted:

You guys know we have a MLB.TV sharing thread right? (I run a group and have an opening still)

MLB.TV helps nothing when it comes to local games.