Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Bar orchard was one of our favorite experiences in Japan. The couple who own it are amazing and the drinks were some of the best I've had. Seriously check them out. It's based off of fruit so you order liquor, strength, and fruit and they make you something. Wonderful. Benfiddich was also great, agreed on the go at opening. There's a lot of fun places do don't be afraid to explore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Thanks so much for all the personal recs guys. The missus and I are in Ginza for a week so you've given us some great places to start. Excited to check out some record and dj bars too.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

I've lived in Tokyo for 12 years now. If you want cocktails, you made the right choice staying in Ginza.

Highballs: Rockfish, Samboa
Cocktails: Little Smith, Mimitsuka, Rage, Atrium, Tangokoro, JBA Bar Suzuki
Happy Hour: Shiseido Parlour Bar S, Namiki 667, Clipper
Fantasy atmosphere: Iron Fairies
Quick/cheap: Walk In Bar Mod, 300 Yen Bar, Banpaiya

edit: a very (very) rough rule of thumb for Ginza is that things get cheaper the higher X-chome you go. But it's still Ginza. So 1-chome tends to be really expensive while 8-chome is, well, kinda pricey.

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Feb 17, 2020

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Awesome! Thanks for the list. Rockfish is one I was planning on checking out, I love a cheeky highball and I've heard great things about theirs. Wondering how I'm going to find time for non-drinking related activities 🤔

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Is there any reason to seek out absinthe over pastis, provided that you can find good pastis and don’t care about sweetening it yourself? I’ve had and enjoy both, and it just seems like buying pastis just saves you a step. I guess if you’re using absinth as a rinse or cocktail ingredient it may be nice to have unsweetened?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Anonymous Robot posted:

Is there any reason to seek out absinthe over pastis, provided that you can find good pastis and don’t care about sweetening it yourself? I’ve had and enjoy both, and it just seems like buying pastis just saves you a step. I guess if you’re using absinth as a rinse or cocktail ingredient it may be nice to have unsweetened?

Pastis is generally sweeter and has less intense of an herbal flavor than absinthe, so it depends on taste which you use. I would try some samples on your own side by side before trying to do a 1:1 substitute.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
People also really like the absinthe ritual. I mean, I don't, I just put it in cocktails or champagne.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Halloween Jack posted:

People also really like the absinthe ritual. I mean, I don't, I just put it in cocktails or champagne.

It's fun to do with the fountain, slow and relaxing, kind of like making pourover coffee.

But most people I know just buy the dyed green kind and shoot it while claiming they're tripping on :catdrugs:

The Rev
Jun 24, 2008
Any Cognac people out there? I've inherited a bottle and am trying to figure out if it's worth keeping, selling, or junking (if Cognac ever expires).

My wife's parents never drink, but accept gifts of booze to be polite. When we go to visit them every few years they sometimes give us whatever's collecting dust in the basement. Most recently they cleaned out their entire house due to some construction and found an old box that they remembered having since the "70's or 80's" when they visited France.

It's a 1L bottle of "Remy Martin Centaure V.S.O.P. " There's not many marking on the bottle, and the box also doesn't have much other than a price sticker for "130.00" (Dollars? Francs? who knows).

I also got a bottle of brandy (Ararat) that says on the label, "Bottled in the USSR", probably keeping that one for the cool factor.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Both of those are dope bottles, congrats!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

You've got yourself two nice bottles. The Remy Martin is a high end cognac, and the Ararat is Armenian brandy. Liquor in a sealed bottle, kept away from light and high heat, will generally stay good (or at least drinkable) for decades so I doubt either bottle is bad.

I will take either off your hands if you don't like them.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
Insane spam post

Esplette You Finish from pg. 145 of the Aviary cocktail book. It's pretty great. And it gets spicier and sprucier the more you let the ice melt. Definitely the most effort I've put into a cocktail, but I'm not disappointed at all--plus it will be a lot easier to do again in the future. I'm sure I can get away with using another rosé wine that isn't basque too considering how much is going on.

e: I just realized this makes a lot less sense without a picture of the wine one infuses with strawberries

eSports Chaebol fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Feb 21, 2020

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm please with how my blood orangecello turned out. I zested a bunch of oranges, juiced them, and froze the clarified juice while the zest infused for about 6 weeks, adding it back after filtration. The little mason jar on the left is some extra infusion without juice.

I also clarified some lime juice and I'm looking forward to trying out margaritas.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Why clarify lime juice if you're just doing margaritas with it?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I misspoke, it's actually a lime syrup. And I clarified it because, well, to be honest the solids settled and I figured why not just keep straining it.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

yall tricked me with the camparty it's so bitter :gonk:

edit: *stares at bottle that says 'bitter' * , me: "Well I wonder what this will be like?"

The Chad Jihad fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Feb 22, 2020

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

How much Campari did you use? You only need a little splash of it.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Oh, the first recipe I looked up said 2 oz so that's what I used, so looks like I waaaaay overshot it. We'll see how round 2 goes!

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Holy Christ, two ounces of Campari is more than you'd ever use in anything. Never trust whatever website that was again. You just need enough to turn the beer a little red, maybe half an ounce at most.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Don't be a baby. Campari is delicious.

Had a super successful brunch cocktail for a season called "Endless Summer" (the colors in the glass looked like the color gradient on the poster for the film) that was a 16oz pint with 2oz Campari in the base of the glass, top with crushed ice to the top, then top with a blood orange & grapefruit radler poured over the top. Even the brunch Jennifers dug it.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I did that exact thing but inverted when they released those stiegler radler cans stateside, it's a dope combo

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Steigler is great, here in the Bay we have a local company called TW Pitchers.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
It goes with anything, it’s so good. Too sweet for me to have more than one though

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

prayer group posted:

Holy Christ, two ounces of Campari is more than you'd ever use in anything. Never trust whatever website that was again. You just need enough to turn the beer a little red, maybe half an ounce at most.

One of my favorite cocktails has 2oz Campari :colbert:

Teresa from The Joy of Mixology:
2 oz Campari
1 oz lime juice
3/4 oz creme de cassis

Like a liquid sweettart. I should try it with come clarified lime juice and see how that changes it, come to think of it.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Only posting because some folks posted about rare bottles, I'm selling a large part of my collection of rarer bourbons.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3915064

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

eSports Chaebol posted:

One of my favorite cocktails has 2oz Campari :colbert:

Teresa from The Joy of Mixology:
2 oz Campari
1 oz lime juice
3/4 oz creme de cassis

Like a liquid sweettart. I should try it with come clarified lime juice and see how that changes it, come to think of it.

As someone whose heartburn is triggered both by acid and occasionally by sugar, this sounds...challenging.

Look, I loving love Campari and will drink huge glugs of it, but it's definitely a thing that most people need to ease into. Good luck on your next camparty, friend!

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Neighbor across the street introduced me to 2 oz Campari with 3 oz orange juice. Delicious and super easy, though I never have orange juice so I dunno!

I enjoyed a Camparty thanks to this thread with 1 oz Campari with 12 oz homebrew that got a little skunked. I am incapable of throwing out homebrew gone bad, so this was a great addition to my "just add whiskey" disposal plan.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I had a friend who got his dad a homebrew kit for Christmas one year and they made 5 gallons of truly awful beer. But they couldn't bring themselves to throw it out, so every time they had dinner together his dad would look at him with a look of sad resignation, sigh, and say, "Well... Wanna have a beer?"

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

I tried a Teresa with clarified lime juice and the citrus was not strong enough to balance it. Maybe if I had used sloe gin or Chambord instead and in a smaller amount. Anyway, after a couple of sips I carbonated it and it was pretty great that way.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Yeah clarified juice needs to be treated with citric acid to make it work the same was as regular juice for cocktails

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Kenning posted:

I had a friend who got his dad a homebrew kit for Christmas one year and they made 5 gallons of truly awful beer. But they couldn't bring themselves to throw it out, so every time they had dinner together his dad would look at him with a look of sad resignation, sigh, and say, "Well... Wanna have a beer?"

I hit the point a few years ago where i realized I don't want the calories of bad beer, homebrew or otherwise.

The dangerous move is having a really good homebrew pilsner on tap, and easy access to Campari and/or good lemonade. Straight beer, radler, Camparty, whatever the day calls for!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I'm trying to get more seriously into beer, only to find the market is plagued with gimmicks that I hate.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm trying to get more seriously into beer, only to find the market is plagued with gimmicks that I hate.

Welcome to the alcohol industry?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I'm still 160~ pages behind but I made a couple doubles of this tonight:

It is EXTREMELY good and also very strong.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

The Maestro posted:

Welcome to the alcohol industry?

It's really just about finding a gimmick you like, or, can tolerate.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

Like what? I find vast majority of product out there today is good to very good compared to what was out there in the craft boom of the mid 2000s. The fact that I can walk in to a Safeway and pick from multiple well made gose's, pilsners, or triples is wonderful. I can't imagine looking at the beer market in 2020 from the perspective of "I'm trying to get into beer" and thinking that most of it is lovely gimmicks

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Weed beer

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Heavy lactose kettle sours and candy in beer are two notables.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I think the bigger problem is that most breweries are spending all of their effort on three styles: imperial stouts, IPAs, and sour beers. And then all of those styles get loaded up with fruit, chocolate, coffee, coconut, etc. to try and stand out from the pack. I use Tavour to get a monthly delivery of craft beers not available in my area, and when I try to pick new ones for my crate it's 90% these three categories and a small handful of other styles, rarely including anything really unique like rye beers or poo poo like German altbier. It takes a lot of hunting through the market saturation to find something that isn't "Yet another bourbon barrel-aged 14% imperial stout with cacao nibs and Kopi Luwak" or a raspberry mango pear sour ale that every reviewer calls "crushable."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Man Opens Brewery to Achieve Lifelong Dream of Charging 9.50 for a Boring Pilsner