Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Complications posted:

There are different messages depending on how big the discharge is, and that message is actually vanilla. Here are all of them.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

hahahahaha holy gently caress what a Tynan is sadistic modder

Either way that's an absolutely brilliant addition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Complications posted:

There are different messages depending on how big the discharge is, and that message is actually vanilla. Here are all of them.

That's really making me think about force triggering a zzt event to see this colony off for 1.1...

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Randy tried to put an end to my settlement by offering up a raid where the father of one of my weebles was being pursued by five people, three with guns. I had two guns, and four weak melee peeps. I put the guns up front behind rocks and held my melee in reserve to the rear behind my cooler. The gun people both got downed, but as the raiders filtered through my buildings I was able to send my melee team as a group to stomp them as they came. Even the gunners went down quickly when swarmed.

In the end none of my weebles died, and now we have more guns and the incentive to keep working on defenses.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Dick Trauma posted:

Randy tried to put an end to my settlement by offering up a raid where the father of one of my weebles was being pursued by five people, three with guns. I had two guns, and four weak melee peeps. I put the guns up front behind rocks and held my melee in reserve to the rear behind my cooler. The gun people both got downed, but as the raiders filtered through my buildings I was able to send my melee team as a group to stomp them as they came. Even the gunners went down quickly when swarmed.

In the end none of my weebles died, and now we have more guns and the incentive to keep working on defenses.

Protip: build a line of stone wall sections (Granite if you have it, Granite wall sections have 50 extra hp)with 1-2 empty spaces between them as a very basic early-game defensive line. Chunks give like 25% cover, trees I think 50-55%, and walls or mineable stone tiles give 75%.

When you have a little extra in the way of time and resources, provide a two-tile buffer around the tile where the pawns will stand in cover to shoot with some kind of non-flammable flooring, or zone roof for those areas and use Cut Plants to get non-flammable dirt which will never have enough sunlight for a plant to grow.

You're looking to graduate to more elaborate defensive works eventually, but knocking out raids is your primary source of weapons in the early game, as well as your primary source of recruits for the entire game. You want to be able to do that as rapidly and painlessly as possible, in terms of your team anyway.

Good use of your melee component, by the way; ambush with superior numbers and drygulch as rapidly as possible is pretty much your ideal defensive use case for subsistence-geared fighters who are deployed as melee for lack of other weapons.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Two of my colonists got married in a field near base. :3:

That's my third colonist violently puking through the entire ceremony.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

One time a marriage got interrupted by a ZZT fire in a nearby wooden room, and I drafted half of the people to put out the fire but the fire made the whole building get superheated and everyone got burns and poo poo.

They didn’t stop the ceremony :3:

I never thought about putting the marriage zones outside, it’s way cuter having them get married on like a nicely decorated bridge or something.

Coeurl Marx
Oct 9, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Just went to look at something on steam, and Royalty just got released.

I've really wanted to play the last couple of days, but I'm stuck in the spot where my modlist is huge, and I don't want to play without any of it. I don't even know how I'll begin to check for compatability, beyond just going to the workshop page of every single mod I'm subscribed to. :rip:

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex5_XpQ-uJk

Some cool additions. Not sure I'm a big fan of the psychic stuff, but I'll live.

• Royal Titles
Colonists can gain royal titles bestowed by the Empire. A Knight or Count can call upon the Empire's elite troops in times of need, bond with unique bladelink weapons, and wield psychic abilities.

Those who hold titles become haughty and demanding. They'll need luxurious bedrooms and grand throne rooms. They'll issue wild decrees that must be carried out. They'll make inspiring or demoralizing speeches from the throne. They'll play piano, harp, and harpsichord. They'll demand royal clothes and crowns.

•Psychic Powers
Titles give the right to an Imperial psychic amplifier. Those who hold one can use their mind to manipulate and defeat their foes. Psycasters can blind enemies or mind-control them, block sensations of pain or confer deadly focus on an ally. Advanced psycasts induce mass vomiting in crowds of foes, teleport objects or people, drive enemies insane en masse, or render allies temporarily invisible for stealth attacks.

For those who wish to live as rebels against the Empire, there are other ways of acquiring psychic amplifiers as well.

•Quests
Earning royal titles means completing quests. Since RimWorld is a story-generation game, quests aren't fixed like in other games. Instead, the system procedurally generates unique quests with every new game. Different goals, foes, guests, rewards, helpers, special threats, and world conditions combine to create endless varied stories and challenges.

Quests will reward you with new allies, unique implants, archotechnological artifacts, gear, royal titles, faction goodwill, and more. Quest givers may even provide special helpers during the quest - for example, a quest may ask you to fight a huge mechanoid cluster, but also include help from elite Imperial cataphracts to make the battle winnable.

The purpose of quests is to generate dramatic stories that couldn't happen otherwise. Quest challenges are grander and more exotic than day-to-day defense, but the only happen if you accept them.

Hospitality quests ask the player to host a group of dangerous prisoners, haughty royals, derpy pets, hunted refugees, or other guests. The guests may be injured or healthy, useful allies or helpless burdens, single or numerous. They may be hunted by mercenaries, pirates, mechanoids, or more. You might need to get the guests to an escape shuttle under fire.
Construction quests ask the player to build something special, and sometimes, to protect it from attacks.
Assistance quests ask you to send some of your colonists to help an ally for a time.
Site quests open nearby sites that present opportunities, threats, and mysteries.
Threat quests present special combinations of mechanoid clusters, raids, animal attacks, atmospheric effects, weather, and more, in exchange for rewards.

The final quest comes after you have climbed the ranks of Imperial nobility. Host the Imperial High Stellarch and his elite Stellic Guards in your luxurious court, protect them from their enemies, and be invited to leave the rimworld as an honored royal guest.

• Mech Clusters
Mechanoids can now create mechanoid clusters - groups of new mechanoid buildings which work together to present a unique tactical challenge.

Mech clusters always appear in an initially dormant state. The player can take the time to decide and execute a plan of attack. This puts the player on the offensive, which contrasts with the defense-oriented fights in the base game. Mech cluster elements include:

World condition makers that poison the air, darken the sky, or create some other world condition.
Shields to block bullets or mortar fire
Factories to assemble new mechanoids over time.
Beacons to call reinforcements.
Turrets, mortars, and surrounding walls.
Unstable power units which you can attack to create explosions, or steal.
Alarm systems of various types.
Mechanoid defenders including the new Pikeman sniper mech.

Each mech cluster generates with a unique layout, presenting a unique tactical puzzle. Some of them will require a frontal assault. Others may be susceptible to mortar bombardment. You may be able to plant explosives inside the cluster before waking it up. A few can be defeated with a key sniper shot to a critical structure. There are many other tactics. Mech clusters can even be used to your advantage if you can lure foes or undesired allies into them.

• Imperial Tech
Imperial technology mixes ancient weapons and ultratechnology. They wield plasma swords, electrical zeushammers, and hypersharp monoswords. Some of their weapons can speak directly to the wielder through a psychic link. These bladelink weapons are frighteningly effective, but bonding to one is a lifelong commitment. Imperials also have a rich tradition of body implants - neurocalculators, drill arms, gastro-analyzers, skin hardening glands, under-skin weapons, poison attacks, aesthetic enhancements, nuclear stomachs, and love enhancers. You can acquire their techprints and craft all of these.

•New Music
This expansion includes a new full album worth of new music by Alistair Lindsay, composer of the original RimWorld soundtrack.

(Since RimWorld translations are fan-made, non-English languages won't be available for the expansion immediately upon release.)

EFB

TSBX fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Feb 24, 2020

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Peachy Poo posted:

Just went to look at something on steam, and Royalty just got released.

I've really wanted to play the last couple of days, but I'm stuck in the spot where my modlist is huge, and I don't want to play without any of it. I don't even know how I'll begin to check for compatability, beyond just going to the workshop page of every single mod I'm subscribed to. :rip:

Looks like some pretty cool stuff, although I'm going to wait for at least Hygiene, SRTS, and Rimatomics to confirm they're 1.1 ready before getting it :v:

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Peachy Poo posted:

Good news!

If you check your modding list they'll start to turn white as they become compatible so you don't need to keep refreshing the steam pages.

Coeurl Marx
Oct 9, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

AceClown posted:

Good news!

If you check your modding list they'll start to turn white as they become compatible so you don't need to keep refreshing the steam pages.

That's cool, thanks for the tip! I think for now I've decided to stick with 1.0 for another campaign, I made local copies of all my mods beforehand. Hopefully by the time I'm done, everything will have gotten updated.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
did we really need nobles from DF to be a thing in rimworld

:cripes:

e: yeah aside from quests this DLC honestly sounds kinda awful, and gently caress me that's 2/3 of the price of the base game for what appears to not be nearly as much value

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Feb 24, 2020

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Is that a vehicle in one of the screenshots?

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Am I the only one who doesn't ever do caravans? Something about it just puts me right off and I like to stay on my tile.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think that's a shuttlecraft. There seems like a lot of good functionality added to the base game.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

did we really need nobles from DF to be a thing in rimworld

:cripes:

e: yeah aside from quests this DLC honestly sounds kinda awful, and gently caress me that's 2/3 of the price of the base game for what appears to not be nearly as much value

I had totally the opposite reaction, new stuff, new events, the quests, new and very significant faction with a new win condition, new stuff like furniture and implants and weapons, the psychic stuff, it sounds like an eminently fair price to me :shobon:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh and it looks like the vanilla expanded guy did a lot of the art, if it looks familiar.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

It sounds like Tynan worked on this with several prominent modders, so they are unlikely to be upset that their stuff is rolled into a DLC. Maybe even getting a cut or a kickback from sales.
It also would directly have influenced the mod friendliness of 1.1.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
The DLC is kind of sad because it's almost inevitable that a huge swathe of major mods are going to start requiring it for functionality - and if there's further DLC that will continue being the case.

That said:

Tynan from the Steam Forums posted:

Right after the game released in 2018 I started work on a free update, and soon after that an expansion. Hired a bunch more people, head count is now more than double what it was during RW development, so we're able to develop two things at once. That's how we built the free 1.1 update and the expansion at the same time. I've worked on it directly the whole time.

If you look back to the RW release announcements, you'll note that I said the game is done but I'm not necessarily done with it. I've never been against expansions if they add meaningful new experiences without detracting from the base game. It's a great way to enrich a game after the base game has been stretched to completion (which it was after 5.5 years of development). And it comes alongside a free update with a bunch of new stuff because some improvements just didn't make sense not to give to everyone.

Worth noting that the only modder we hired was Oskar to do art, and the only mod content in the free update is Oskar's animal art. The expansion is 100% original.

They did hire the Vanilla Expanded guy to work on this.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Feb 24, 2020

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

EDB Prepare Carefully has been updated!

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Oh god everything is broken where have all my QOL mods gone. :negative:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

The sad fact of Rimworld updates is that unless you're willing to rawdog it with a vanilla run you're going to be waiting at least a couple days until mods get updated, depending on the size of your modlist and obscurity of the mods you're using.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Alright, it sounds like there are enough things ported over that I can make some wild poo poo happen regardless. The new psychic stuff is intriguing. I am uh, bemused at the price of the DLC given that it's less of an overhaul than some mods but the creator has to eat and at least he's not obsessing about people not doing the ship escape now.

I've triggered a short circuit event with 127k power stored on my current colony, time to blow this joint and start fresh.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

TSBX posted:

•New Music
This expansion includes a new full album worth of new music by Alistair Lindsay, composer of the original RimWorld soundtrack.

(Since RimWorld translations are fan-made, non-English languages won't be available for the expansion immediately upon release.)

EFB

slaps

w0o0o0o
Aug 26, 2007
bloop.
Hoo boy time to lose another 200 hours of my life.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Kanos posted:

The DLC is kind of sad because it's almost inevitable that a huge swathe of major mods are going to start requiring it for functionality - and if there's further DLC that will continue being the case.

I mean, doesn't that depend on how much of the actual basic functionality is in the base game? Like stuff such as the quest structure and psychic code will be baseline surely, with the actual content being in the xpac?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

I mean, doesn't that depend on how much of the actual basic functionality is in the base game? Like stuff such as the quest structure and psychic code will be baseline surely, with the actual content being in the xpac?

I'm not entirely sure how much of the framework for stuff like royalty will be in the base game. If it's all there under the hood sans-DLC, wouldn't that make it relatively easy to effectively activate the DLC with a mod?

The quest stuff is in the base game, but I don't know about the bullet point features of the DLC.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

I think that's a shuttlecraft. There seems like a lot of good functionality added to the base game.
The shuttle is interesting - it's not actually usable by the player, only by quest NPC's and you can't actually own one best I can tell. But it does make adding custom shuttles and spacecraft extremely easy compared to vanilla.

Also for what it's worth I don't think there's much in the Xpac that couldn't be recreated with mods, but the music, art and overall implementation is A+ just in my 1-hour take so far. All the stuff for quest generation, Hediff levels(like titles) and demotions/promotions, psychic-links to items, etc are already in the code in the vanilla libraries, so honestly it seems about the best way to formally implement some mod stuff without limiting modders.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well you would presumably not include any of the art or actual descriptive poo poo, but the framework would be there.

So, yes you would be able to write a mod that does all the DLC poo poo if you rewrote all the content and art but that would be the kind of thing that would get shut down.

The alternative is that you can't use any of the framework changes you develop for the expansion pack to develop any other expansion packs because it would create dependency issues, which seems odd?

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Epsilon Plus posted:

Had a raid going badly for me, radioed up my allies... who arrived via drop pod in the one roof gap in my mountain settlement, in the middle of my research lab/medbay. Immediately I get the messages "Raiders from (ally name) have decided to take what they can and leave", as they pack up my multi-analyzer, my high-tech bench, my radio, a hospital bed and the medicine that they didn't crush with falling rock and immediately depart.

So I had to gun them down? And now they're my enemies, which is working as expected, but what the hell?

Were your allies the Red Army?

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
This DLC cover quite a lot of things I thought basic Rimworld lacked and where I used mods to compensate, so I couldn't be happier. My only worry is how deep and the new mechanics are, especially compared to already established and expansive mods like Rimworld of Magic, Rimsenal, etc. that do roughly same thing as some aspects of the DLC (pawn powers, exotic weapons, etc...) and if I can just drop them for DLC, or if I have to wait until someone makes new mods that will expand the DLC mechanics in same way, or until someone integrate those mods for DLC systems. :v:

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
"love enhancers", huh

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Finally the mod that added tiers of prosthetic penises is obsolete.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Im already digging the new music.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Will buying the dlc invalidate my vanilla 1.0 --> 1.1 save?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

LonsomeSon posted:

When you have a little extra in the way of time and resources, provide a two-tile buffer around the tile where the pawns will stand in cover to shoot with some kind of non-flammable flooring, or zone roof for those areas and use Cut Plants to get non-flammable dirt which will never have enough sunlight for a plant to grow.

Not sure what this is about. So the defenders can't get set on fire?

There's a narrow lake to the east and I put some sandbags and traps along the southern side which is right up against a mountain. Still have to work on the northern side.

To my north is a narrow mountain pass and I walled it completely off. The south is fairly narrow, but the west is wide open. I need to get the basics in place.

I also realized my best shooter lost a lung from the last fight. Makes me feel better about letting the lone surviving raider bleed out on our doorstep.

EDIT: :argh:

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Feb 24, 2020

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Dick Trauma posted:

I also realized my best shooter lost a lung from the last fight. Makes me feel better about letting the lone surviving raider bleed out on our doorstep.

You should feel worse, that was a perfectly good replacement lung.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Keeshhound posted:

You should feel worse, that was a perfectly good replacement lung.

and kidney!

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

If I load this up tonight and buy the DLC is the rerolling for good colonists still just as tedious? Have they done anything about that, and if not is there a good resource for what to look for? I haven't played in probably 2 or 3 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Zotix posted:

If I load this up tonight and buy the DLC is the rerolling for good colonists still just as tedious? Have they done anything about that, and if not is there a good resource for what to look for? I haven't played in probably 2 or 3 years.

The Prepare Carefully mod is what you want. Already updated.

It gives you total control over all aspects of your starting colonists and equipment. You can make your start as weak or as powerful as you please.