Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I'm kinda running out of steam on NGU, I've manually killed Exile V3 to get the gear maxed out and have been doing 24 hour runs for what feels like forever but still haven't even gotten to the point where I can AK V3. The whole time I've been doing cards, quests, perks, hacks & wishes but I feel like I've barely budged. I guess after this hump would be Sadistic which would probably be enough of a change to get me going again but I'm not totally sure I can stick it out at this rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

That's how I've felt for a while, even though I'm only just starting evil. Like, it's an idle game, I get it, but at least for me my interest started to wane after the first wall where fully-upgraded equipment is no longer sufficient to progress, and you're suddenly stuck waiting for days/weeks/months for your NGUs to crawl up and exp/AP to farm high enough to buy your way over the next wall. I'm far enough in that I'll probably stick it out at least to get to the end of whatever the current content set is, but it felt much easier to stay engaged earlier in the game when there were always multiple vectors you could pursue to change/improve your schtick.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Omi no Kami posted:

Oh neat, I only needed to raise the Exp boost to 10k% (I have like 900 levels in rich perk I, so it probably made the difference). Thanks!

I assume that so long as all of the normal challenges are done, there's no real reason to idle in normal versus doing it in evil?

The biggest reason I've seen to idle in normal rather than evil at that point is to raise your diggers, because you will take a significant gold hit once you enter evil.

But even then...eh, you're better off just suffering through evil. It doesn't take too long for your Evil Gold NGU to make up that difference. Plus, the boost to PP from being in Evil is a very nice boon.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
I run out of steam on ngu every now and again but even if all you do is a long long rebirth with ngus running you still come back with a lot to do.

Just sayin

Also there discord is the real gem

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
Turns out I'm an idiot about the milestones I read it wrong

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Eldercain posted:

I run out of steam on ngu every now and again but even if all you do is a long long rebirth with ngus running you still come back with a lot to do.

Just sayin

Also there discord is the real gem

That's about what I've been doing- yggdrasil and repeat a few times a week and/or forget it's installed for a while, then come back big & strong. ^^

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

explosivo posted:

I'm kinda running out of steam on NGU, I've manually killed Exile V3 to get the gear maxed out and have been doing 24 hour runs for what feels like forever but still haven't even gotten to the point where I can AK V3. The whole time I've been doing cards, quests, perks, hacks & wishes but I feel like I've barely budged. I guess after this hump would be Sadistic which would probably be enough of a change to get me going again but I'm not totally sure I can stick it out at this rate.
Stop rebirthing and let your adv training and beards accumulate so that you get into AK range.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Ghostlight posted:

Stop rebirthing and let your adv training and beards accumulate so that you get into AK range.

This. Long rebirths are a thing.

It'd be cool if there was an option to reallocate all your resources based on a saved template.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Ghostlight posted:

Yea I also turned on my diggers for NGU/Beards/Blood and would hit the Iron Pill and spend all my XP on adventure stats.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Eldercain posted:

Turns out I'm an idiot about the milestones I read it wrong

Not wrong, just not paying attention. It definitely takes a while for the milestones to update properly.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
A few more things I learned about the Pet Vats in Idle Skilling:

The pets you put in tanks to train on the first screen give their bonus even after you take them out (each species gets one bonus). So it makes sense to get lots of good level 1 skills by swapping guys in and out, rather than going deep on a 5-day skill with one pet

For the vats that let you upgrade RP rate for one color / all colors, prioritize the one color upgrade - you can have 2x for all vats, or 200x for one type of vat (each one type). Spend a little on the all-bonus, but I did that too much and it really delayed me. It'll be a long time before you can reach 150 in the 2nd upgrade to unlock the third.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/603390/Stone_Story_RPG/

Stone Story is on sale for $15 down from $20 until the 29th. It's a really unique take on an idle game, and also has incredible music, which is something fun that you don't get to say very often about idle games. Strong recommend.

edit: Specifically if you're a fan of stuff like A Dark Room or Spaceplan with a more narrative bent. There's a LOT of game there but it's not necessarily meant to be something that you play infinitely.

goferchan fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Feb 24, 2020

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
Oooh you can dick around with scripting in the game itself to drive your little idle buddy around. That sounds very much like my jam.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Bedurndurn posted:

Oooh you can dick around with scripting in the game itself to drive your little idle buddy around. That sounds very much like my jam.

Yeah in-game that's sort of the big post-"ascension" paradigm shift and it's wild and not like anything I've ever seen before. Update that came out the other day massively expanded the scripting language, too-- it even includes a few minigames like Solitaire etc that were made with it, just to show off. Be prepared for the game to be pretty hands-on at first, though. I may have even been wrong even calling it an "idle game" but I think it's got a ton of aspects that people who appreciate idlers will enjoy.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

What's faster when I first hit Evil mode, doing a ton of 1-hour rebirths to take advantage of early bonuses and a single level of fruit, or 24-hour rebirths to get a full hit of yggdrasil every time?

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Omi no Kami posted:

What's faster when I first hit Evil mode, doing a ton of 1-hour rebirths to take advantage of early bonuses and a single level of fruit, or 24-hour rebirths to get a full hit of yggdrasil every time?

Get to evilverse boss fast, then back to 24 asap

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Omi no Kami posted:

clear boss 58 with 1 hours and then do a bunch of 24 hours until you hit 125

shs
Feb 14, 2012

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Not wrong, just not paying attention. It definitely takes a while for the milestones to update properly.

It turns out there was an issue where the milestones would not update properly unless you had opened the milestones menu at least once during your current session, which is very not ideal. New build 108 should fix the issue. Web version is up now, android version should become available in 1 to 3 hours.

On the topic of milestones, I don't know if it's clear or not, but the resource bonus from all of the region max zone milestones are always active even if you're not in that region, and the stat bonuses from class level milestones are always active even if you're not currently using that class.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

shs posted:

On the topic of milestones, I don't know if it's clear or not, but the resource bonus from all of the region max zone milestones are always active even if you're not in that region, and the stat bonuses from class level milestones are always active even if you're not currently using that class.

The milestone text seems pretty clear on that.

Why does some classes show +1 to them? For example Crusader +1

shs
Feb 14, 2012
Some of the creation upgrades give a boost to pure / neutral / evil classes. The +1 is how many times that type of class has been upgraded.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.

Omi no Kami posted:

Also, instantly go into a basic challenge when you get into Evil.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
The Elves bloodline in Realm Grinder seems REALLY GOOD. Just hit R7 and it's great being able to jump right off the starting line rather than having to wait around to gather the faction coins to unlock faction upgrades.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Pope Guilty posted:

The Elves bloodline in Realm Grinder seems REALLY GOOD. Just hit R7 and it's great being able to jump right off the starting line rather than having to wait around to gather the faction coins to unlock faction upgrades.

Every bloodline is really good at one point or another.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Not the Druids.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Samuringa posted:

Not the Druids.

It's been used in a few builds over the years, although they're always weird niche things for a very specific goal.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Druids is good for Trophies.

shs
Feb 14, 2012
One weird trick (browser vendors hate it) I discovered is that if a browser tab isn't focused but has sound playing, then it won't be affected by background tab throttling and will continue to run at full speed. So in a game like mine which has music, if you set the music volume to a small amount but not at zero (or possibly set it to any value above zero then mute the tab) then it will run at full speed even if the tab isn't focused.

That's how it seems to work, anyway. Someone with more knowledge can correct me if I'm wrong.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
There's a neat sort of idle game on kongregate called cividlization 2 that mixes a bit of civilization with idling to get resources and real time strategy. You can capture cities and send units out, but it takes a while realtime to have them get anywhere. It's pretty fun!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

In Idle Skilling I can't get the Spelunking resource that I need to make the Machinery upgrade that lets me convert materials for the life of me. I looked it up and I think it's "Ore Veins" that I need 8 of, but every time I dive down I come back up with a bunch of the higher level resources and none of this one that I need. I *think* what I need to do is make sure to cut off the spelunking dive early in like the first pip of the bar so I only come back with the low grade materials but at this point I've upgraded the guy a bunch of times and only seem to be getting the high grade materials. It's frustrating as hell. I guess when I finally get the ability to build the machinery I'll have a lot of the resources to convert but it feels like I hosed myself over by upgrading past the point I was supposed to be at or something.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

You definitely need at least one machine ASAP for exactly that reason.

Two things you can do: first, look at the Spelunking page here, because it'll tell you exactly what treasure you'll get from what bag. Furthermore, when your spelunker dives, it'll show you exactly what bag you'll get under extract. If you have your spelunker dive and your starting bag quality is too high, you have a problem.

At that point, your only recourse will be to unlock a new spelunker and get the resource with that. And then get that machine immediately.

Arzaac fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Feb 25, 2020

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

explosivo posted:

In Idle Skilling I can't get the Spelunking resource that I need to make the Machinery upgrade that lets me convert materials for the life of me. I looked it up and I think it's "Ore Veins" that I need 8 of, but every time I dive down I come back up with a bunch of the higher level resources and none of this one that I need. I *think* what I need to do is make sure to cut off the spelunking dive early in like the first pip of the bar so I only come back with the low grade materials but at this point I've upgraded the guy a bunch of times and only seem to be getting the high grade materials. It's frustrating as hell. I guess when I finally get the ability to build the machinery I'll have a lot of the resources to convert but it feels like I hosed myself over by upgrading past the point I was supposed to be at or something.

Yeah, you used a ton of the Tier 1 and 2 materials to upgrade your dude, so it's unfortunate that it's possible to lock yourself out like that. Spelunking is from the most recent update, I wouldn't be surprised if they added something like making the Tier 1 bag have a chance at the low-tier material to let you step backwards like you need.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Oh you know what, I just realized that you start getting the low level bags almost immediately. I thought the pips in the progress bar indicated when you could extract and get something. I just got the two I needed by pulling out like 30 seconds into a dive :doh:

Edit: Oh yeah this is much easier lol. I was doing full rear end 12 hour runs and getting frustrated by not getting what I needed without realizing that you don't get *any* of the lower tier materials when you open up a higher leveled bag.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Feb 25, 2020

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I'm to the point where my Spelunkers are requiring candles, and I can still get a basic bag (or no bag at all) if I extract ASAP, so maybe there isn't much of a problem there?

Regardless, it wouldn't take much to give everyone a machine as a freebie, and it would completely eliminate the problem.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Well, in the unenviable position of reaching boss 301 on Evil and yet the last Titan v4 is a full magnitude away from auto-kill, 4-5x from recommended manual killing on NGU. I see 24 hour rebirths in my future, so many rebirths.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.
A few people have mentioned getting stuck on Exile v3 and v4, and I was too for months, what helped me was realizing that siphoning exp into adventure stats gave pretty significant value at the time. I don't think there's really any time before that where it's worth putting it in anything other than normal stats so it's easy to forget that's something you can do.

It will still take at least weeks, even with cards I imagine.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

explosivo posted:

Oh you know what, I just realized that you start getting the low level bags almost immediately. I thought the pips in the progress bar indicated when you could extract and get something. I just got the two I needed by pulling out like 30 seconds into a dive :doh:

Edit: Oh yeah this is much easier lol. I was doing full rear end 12 hour runs and getting frustrated by not getting what I needed without realizing that you don't get *any* of the lower tier materials when you open up a higher leveled bag.

The tiny bag at the bottom represents the quality of your bag - one bronze star is the lowest rank, you can watch it slowly get more stars as you wait

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Manyorcas posted:

A few people have mentioned getting stuck on Exile v3 and v4, and I was too for months, what helped me was realizing that siphoning exp into adventure stats gave pretty significant value at the time. I don't think there's really any time before that where it's worth putting it in anything other than normal stats so it's easy to forget that's something you can do.

I've done that somewhat already, dumping in about 3.5E+09 into Power and 2.4E+09 Toughness or approximately 18 Billion Exp total.
- Adventure Hacks at 3000
- Adventure Wishes Maxed
- Quirks missing Adv. Boost For Rich Quirks II
- Adv Training BB and up at 5.9E+007 (~60 Million)
- Perks missing Adventure Boost For Rich Perks III and Adventure Hacks Milestone Reducer

Sage Grimm fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Feb 26, 2020

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!

Manyorcas posted:

What helped me was not to spread out the EXP to all the adventure stats just to focus it all in POW. I was dumping about 2,000,000,000 exp a day in just POW. Took me about a month from v3 to manual v4. That was without any cards bonus until the very end.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Whats the maximum amount of exp you can get from fruit of knowledge? I've got it up to level 24 and when i ate it with poop and both fruit of knowledge sucks perks, i only got about 70k exp.

I'm sure someone mentioned earlier they got about 150k a day with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Kin posted:

Whats the maximum amount of exp you can get from fruit of knowledge? I've got it up to level 24 and when i ate it with poop and both fruit of knowledge sucks perks, i only got about 70k exp.

I'm sure someone mentioned earlier they got about 150k a day with it.

Various features will multiply the amount of exp you receive, so what you get from FoK keeps increasing even after you've max-levelled it.