Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

moving to youtube was always gonna lose them viewers but blizzard hasn't handled it that well either. most recent world cup felt scuffed too but I wasn't expecting that to carry over to owl

feel like cod was the main reason youtube wanted the partnership with overwatch being part of a package deal

e: at least they don't cut soe's hair off in the close up shots anymore

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Feb 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

My favorite part of today's production was when the cheez-it ad kept cutting off the desk broadcast.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

No limit and you win with 6 lucios

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I have discovered the trick to not getting mad at bad teammates. it is to be too ill to muster the energy for it and just tell everyone they tried their best

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

*me running a fever and playing Reinhardt* thank u my beautiful support friends, my guardian angels also one of the DPS plz go Widow and shoot that Pharah

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
:lol: a WIDOW... shooting a :lmao: :lmao: ahahhah a Widow shooting a PHARA :laffo: :laffo: :laffo: hahahah lmfbo

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Macaluso posted:

:lol: a WIDOW... shooting a :lmao: :lmao: ahahhah a Widow shooting a PHARA :laffo: :laffo: :laffo: hahahah lmfbo

That's how you tell I'm running a fever

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

If your Widow stays on the ground level and/or scoped in 90% of the time, just bail. That's time in the game and years off your lifespan you won't ever get back.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I've lost count of how many qp matches I've been in where I've said "hey we don't need a widow and a hanzo"

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Manatee Cannon posted:

moving to youtube was always gonna lose them viewers

I think YouTube is a better platform, but once I realised theres no skins in it for me, my desire to watch OWL wained.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Field Mousepad posted:

I've lost count of how many qp matches I've been in where I've said "hey we don't need a widow and a hanzo"

I just leave when that happens. Neither of them will switch, there's no point in saying anything cause they won't listen, so it's just not worth the hassle.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Field Mousepad posted:

Just look at how many QP matches you've played. That's how many matches you've been in with a widow and Hanzo dream team.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Just switched from PS4 to a PC I built and it’s taking 4+ minutes to finda quickplay. Is this just because there aren’t a lot of brand new low levels or is the playerbase on PC not great? I’m assuming the former.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Rolo posted:

Just switched from PS4 to a PC I built and it’s taking 4+ minutes to finda quickplay. Is this just because there aren’t a lot of brand new low levels or is the playerbase on PC not great? I’m assuming the former.

yeah its the lack of low levels. once you have a rating it shouldnt take that long (unless you are dps only)

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

What did they do to Ana on console that people won’t stop picking her?

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I don't know much about console, but on PC they nerfed all the other healers, and made rein and genji viable again. Nano, grenade and sleep are all carry abilities. Plus I think her burst healing is still the best.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Rolo posted:

That's usually how qp is. I like my 30 second random heroes que time personally

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

headcase posted:

I don't know much about console, but on PC they nerfed all the other healers, and made rein and genji viable again. Nano, grenade and sleep are all carry abilities. Plus I think her burst healing is still the best.

I have been wrecking face with Rein and it’s hilarious.

How’s Baptiste? I haven’t really played since he got added.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

Chinatown posted:

hi ive gotten into Overwatch lately and im mid-silver in competitive play can i post here or what

gently caress mei and doomfist

wanna be pals in OW im mid silver with another goon

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

I've also been playing in mid-Silver lately! If you want friends to que with you've got one in me :d:

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Rolo posted:

I have been wrecking face with Rein and it’s hilarious.

How’s Baptiste? I haven’t really played since he got added.

I really like him. His gun is good and the immortality field is great. His high jump ability is nice so I can get up and lob healing grenades down on my team. The only thing lackluster for me is his ult because so few teammates seem to use it.

I'm in silver tier as well on XBox. Add Flexible Ethics if you wanna play.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

Chinatown posted:

hi ive gotten into Overwatch lately and im mid-silver in competitive play can i post here or what

gently caress mei and doomfist

you can post here

your SR is a lot higher than mine, if that makes you feel cool (it should)

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Am I the only one really bummed by the new role queue system? I liked picking my role based on the map, switching roles and sometime getting to be an attack character.

Hobbes
Sep 12, 2000
Forum Veteran
Dinosaur Gum

Rolo posted:

Am I the only one really bummed by the new role queue system? I liked picking my role based on the map, switching roles and sometime getting to be an attack character.

Pretty happy as a healer I'm never on a team with 5 dps anymore tbh

Nutsak
Jul 21, 2005
All balls.

Rolo posted:

I don't think you're alone. I like the system when I'm playing with friends because we queue as multiple roles now but solo queuing I'd really like to be able to "trade" a role with someone mid game. Mostly because I'll be playing tank and we'll have dual snipers that won't switch.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I'd rather have 2 snipers and 2 tanks than 2 snipers, 1 tank, and a 3rd dps that decided the other dps weren't good enough at their job

there are times where no role lock was good but mostly this system just makes matches a lot better on average. you never have to worry about getting hosed over because the matchmaker decided you don't get any support players this game. games literally can't be as bad as they used to be anymore. the floor has gone up

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

Rolo posted:

QP classic has a pretty decent number of people playing it, if that helps

also a lot of arcade modes still work the old way, most of my time spent in overwatch is in Total Mayhem and there's no role queue there

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I just hope with that new pool system they're introducing soon that they have the brains to realize that at all times at least one of either Widowmaker or Hanzo should always be in the banned pool, though both being banned would be even better, and it would be even better if Ana joined them as well

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

drrockso20 posted:

I just hope with that new pool system they're introducing soon that they have the brains to realize that at all times at least one of either Widowmaker or Hanzo should always be in the banned pool, though both being banned would be even better, and it would be even better if Ana joined them as well

I'm intrigued by your ideas and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

There are times when I miss being able to swap over roles during a match, there were times when my friends and I wanted to try something kind of goofy but have the option to switch to a standard comp if it was terrible and we lost the first point or something. Of course, you can still do that sort of thing in classic QP if you want to. But even so, I think the loss of the fringe case where you think you want a third tank or a specific damage dealer or whatever is outweighed by the fact that I no longer solo queue into a game with Widow, Hanzo, Genji, Doomfist, and Tracer and have to decide if I am going to Support, Tank, or just give up and play Junkrat. Under classic QP I basically never played DPS because you were lucky if you could rely on one other person playing Tank or Support, now if I really want to play Pharah I can at least queue for that specifically, eat the wait time, and know that I'm not going to be the sixth DPS who inevitably switches to try and hold the game together.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

10 Beers posted:

I'm intrigued by your ideas and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

It mostly comes down to idiots always going right for the Sniper characters, even though due to how small teams are in Overwatch it's basically almost never actually worth fielding one, and even worse when it results in two or even three players picking one

Honestly instead of consolidating Defense characters into Attack, they should have split both into a bunch of more specialized categories(indeed should probably do that for Tank and Support heroes too) and stuck all those different categories with a one per role limit

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I think that they should let people pick whatever characters they like, but if you pick Widow or Hanzo the game just shadowbans you into a special queue with only other Widow and Hanzo players.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Ashcans posted:

I think that they should let people pick whatever characters they like, but if you pick Widow or Hanzo the game just shadowbans you into a special queue with only other Widow and Hanzo players.

This is a fantastic idea

megane
Jun 20, 2008

My Hanzo + Widow playtime is like 2 minutes combined, so you've got my vote.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Ashcans posted:

At the very least if one person picks Widowmaker/Hanzo, then it should grey out the other character for anyone else.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Just kill off Widow in a cinematic and remove her from the game.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

mcbexx posted:

Just kill off Widow in a cinematic and remove her from the game.

I had one talk mad poo poo to me yesterday because I wouldn’t abandon the team on the payload to go heal her halfway across the map.

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award

Rolo posted:

I had one talk mad poo poo to me yesterday because I wouldn’t abandon the team on the payload to go heal her halfway across the map.

I wonder if the thread consensus would be different if widow was more like the sniper from tf2 - much lower mobility, counterable by running spy or scout, and most importantly - telegraphed where they were looking via a red dot that you could see on the wall before turning the corner.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

The TF2 sniper was a loving albatross around the neck of his game too.

It's poo poo to get killed instantly and it's poo poo to get attacked by someone you can't (effectively) shoot back at. You'll note that this constitutes the core sniper gameplay experience from both directions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

megane posted:

The TF2 sniper was a loving albatross around the neck of his game too.

It's poo poo to get killed instantly and it's poo poo to get attacked by someone you can't (effectively) shoot back at. You'll note that this constitutes the core sniper gameplay experience from both directions.

I think Overwatch benefits by having as many kinds of gameplay loops as possible, but I don't think the interaction that spy and scout have with sniper translates as effectively to Overwatch's playstyle. It does feel similarly good to blast down a widow or a hanzo as Dva. But for satisfying the sniper's gameplay loop, I think Bastion and Ana are both interesting takes that come close enough to filling that style of play.

With Bastion, unless you're pushing with the shield, play can often be about finding a good angle, setting up, delivering damage from a good vantage point, then vacating that point before your lack of maneuverability becomes a liability--sniper without the headclicking component. Ana similarly because she snipes, but she's more vulnerable due to her attacks being a dot, and she interacts more with the team.

Taking from Ana's playbook, if i wanted to rework Widowmaker into a less frustrating variant while encouraging the same team play, I'd make her attack similar to Ana's, where it's a dot, increasing her vulnerability (and tying with her spider theme), and rewarding headshots some other way than by extra damage (make them vulnerable to more damage ala Zenyatta's orb perhaps, or mark that character for a while similar to her ult?). You're still rewarded for squirreling away somewhere away from the action for a bit and clicking heads if that's what you're into, but the players you shoot will be more likely to get a comeuppance or be able to retreat for a moment and get some healing/wait out the debuff. I think you'd want to change her ult to something that is only useful in a teamfight and not from a distant vantage point to force her to come down and interact with the fight periodically to make best use of her ult.

Thinking about the cinematics for TF2 made me wish that the character dialogue carried some of those gameplay-mechanics-as-characterization elements over. Basically I wish Mercy and Zenyatta were rude and snarky to back line assassin type characters for no discernible reason.