Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I never even thought about packaging liquid bio. I just keep it in a tank to fuel a backup generator, in case the power load spikes too high. Worked pretty well, until unlocking geothermal made it kind of redundant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Vasudus posted:

Can the jetpack use turbo fuel yet or is it still limited to regular fuel because reasons?

I just want a jetpack that's (1) only limited by total inventory fuel supply so I can stay aloft for minutes on end, (2) has a hover mode, and (3) has significantly faster upward acceleration / vertical speed. Tapping to go up further is completely counter-intuitive.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Can you specify power as backup only? I thought the game only ordered load as geo first, then everything else at once. Or do you have it in a switch?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

There is a bad rear end dog over an oil patch. 12 bees or so are going to attack as well.

How do I handle this. The is the west coast oil .

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Cities Skylines has an excellent mod, Precision Engineering, that displays angles and length in meters of roads and track and other items you're placing down. I would really love one of those for placing belts, and maybe something that would display how many units long and wide and whatnot of each building (like maybe a number floating just below the white outline of the item being placed) so that I can avoid some guesswork.

Not a critical item, but man would that be nice.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

euphronius posted:

There is a bad rear end dog over an oil patch. 12 bees or so are going to attack as well.

Research carapace until you get the rebar gun, get about 200 ammo, get accustomed to the drop and snipe the fuckers.

Or get the GUN if you're up to that point.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

All right I’ll get the rebar gun. I built a straight line foundation road from the grasslands all the way out there. Going to pipeline the oil back.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Volmarias posted:

Can you specify power as backup only? I thought the game only ordered load as geo first, then everything else at once. Or do you have it in a switch?

Not yet as far as I know, but I am hoping that they add in some computational stuff to be able to do stuff like this.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Volmarias posted:

Not presently, I manually turn it on when the fuse blows.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Is there a way to use liquid fuels in vehicles?

If not, how are empty cans handled, just dumped in cargo? What if the cargo is full at the time?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

euphronius posted:

Kill them and place foundations where they spawned.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Cojawfee posted:

Kill them and place foundations where they spawned.

This has not worked for me, dozens of bees continually respawn in my oil refinery. Jerks.

I assume it's because the platform is slightly above the ground so I don't have annoying terrain clipping.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Maybe the bee plants are permanent or something.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Spawns are broken and being fixed in the next patch. They shouldn’t be spawning this much, per the devs.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

euphronius posted:

If you run and crouch you slide really fast. Then if you jump you go flying even faster.

If you just hop and slide around like a madman the fireballs or charging guys tend to miss. You can slide right in and whack them in their face pretty easily.

Honestly the melee combat is the best feeling first person melee combat I've experienced. Which is more a commentary on how first person melee combat is usually poo poo, but this patch gave you a bunch of fun ways to move around.

I can't wait until they fix the spawn nonsense, but it's been kind of funny while I was building my refinery, just sighing and drawing my katana and casually turning into a crazy jump ninja to deal with yet another fire guy, and then going right back to carefully lining up pipes and poo poo.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Vasudus posted:

Spawns are broken and being fixed in the next patch. They shouldn’t be spawning this much, per the devs.

I *thought* it seemed like they had really shot up in population. I started driving over the bee plants going between my oil facility and main base to see how many I could generate and the beach now has hundreds of the little fuckers.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Just got a five-slot Expanded Pocket Dimension option from scanning a hard drive, didn't know that could actually happen.

There're a finite number of hard drives on the map, though, and I guess I always assumed based on no evidence that there would be fewer drives than alt recipes. If that is the case, doesn't seem like a great pick.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

LonsomeSon posted:

Just got a five-slot Expanded Pocket Dimension option from scanning a hard drive, didn't know that could actually happen.

There're a finite number of hard drives on the map, though, and I guess I always assumed based on no evidence that there would be fewer drives than alt recipes. If that is the case, doesn't seem like a great pick.

You can get that option twice for a total of +10. I'm still hoping to get the second one, but I think it might be tier restricted as I don't have T7 unlocked in my current game. Or it's RNG and the game hates me, could go either way really.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

LonsomeSon posted:

There's more alt recipes than drives. The game used to have an issue where it would crash after researching a drive with no recipes left to find.

Also, the rule for despawning enemies is different in update 3. It used to be that if you built anything in their radius, they would never respawn. Now, you need some number of running factory buildings within a radius.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Dr. Stab posted:

There's more alt recipes than drives. The game used to have an issue where it would crash after researching a drive with no recipes left to find.

Also, the rule for despawning enemies is different in update 3. It used to be that if you built anything in their radius, they would never respawn. Now, you need some number of running factory buildings within a radius.

Hopefully we can just buy extra drives from the coupon store. Make them expensive and equal to the number of extra recipes, that would be a real simple way to fix it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The doggo above the oil patch one shot me when I meleed him which is why I was asking

Going to try the rebar snipe

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Dr. Stab posted:

Just a note: a small spitter did spawn in my main factory building with all the machines running, so if 200+ machines ain't it maybe it's currently broke

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Pretty sure there's more drives than recipes? There's over 80 hard drives in the game and only around 50 alt recipes.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

euphronius posted:

The doggo above the oil patch one shot me when I meleed him which is why I was asking

Going to try the rebar snipe

The cool person trick is to run them over with a car and then stab them a bunch while they rag doll and try to get up :eng101:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Tenebrais posted:

Pretty sure there's more drives than recipes? There's over 80 hard drives in the game and only around 50 alt recipes.

They're adding a ton of new alt recipes in update 3.

Edit: In fact the update 3 patch notes mention exactly 30 new recipes.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Feb 24, 2020

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

nielsm posted:

They're adding a ton of new alt recipes in update 3.

Edit: In fact the update 3 patch notes mention exactly 30 new recipes.

Is that including replacements where primary recipes were changed, eg circuit boards requiring copper sheets instead of wires?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I haven't even bothered with guns in this new playthrough. I remember the rebar gun sucking and the rifle being worse. I just sprint with my giant sword and leap over them as they charge me. And just stock up on berries for the spitting ones.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Normal doggos are fine with the katana yeah

This is like a .. super doggo

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
If it's a red alpha spitter and they do their "big fuckoff fireball that breaks up into smaller fireballs" and you're at point blank range, it will shotgun the gently caress out of you.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Vasudus posted:

If it's a red alpha spitter and they do their "big fuckoff fireball that breaks up into smaller fireballs" and you're at point blank range, it will shotgun the gently caress out of you.

I guess that is what happened

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Yeah, I fight those with the sword. You can avoid the red balls. I fought one of those and the larger spider thing when getting to my oil nodes.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I don't really have any trouble with circle strafing them, just watch for the spjt to charge up and make sure you're not directly in front of their mouths.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Tenebrais posted:

Is that including replacements where primary recipes were changed, eg circuit boards requiring copper sheets instead of wires?

I think those 30 are new additional recipes. They mention rebalancing everything as a separate item.

Vasudus posted:

I've had them suicide with their big fireballs. Jump over them a few times and eventually they'll shoot a big fireball on one side, and when the big fireball tries to shoot me who's now on the opposite side of the spitter, the spitter eats fire instead.

It's not really a valid tactic to aim for, but it sure makes it easier when it happens.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

The combat is my least favorite thing about this game, I even liked Factorio's biters. I feel like this game should borrow a page from Fortresscraft where waves based on your pollution would spawn and attack only your HQ. If they destroyed it your factory would reset for a while but not need to be rebuilt, they already have a central target with the space elevator.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

My weapon of choice is the nobelisk detonator.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Am I missing a way to deal with heavy oil residue stopping up my plastic production other than running an equal number of refineries and dumping petroleum coke into the shredder? I have to be missing something.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

GruntyThrst posted:

Am I missing a way to deal with heavy oil residue stopping up my plastic production other than running an equal number of refineries and dumping petroleum coke into the shredder? I have to be missing something.

Eventually you get alternate recipes to make the plastic/rubber/turbofuel from the heavy oil residue itself which makes it the most versatile and useful hydrocarbon product and this problem goes away. When you're first starting just want plastic or w/e voiding coke is probably the way to go.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Sorry, I mispoke earlier. There's 89 hard drives and 69 recipes.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Cojawfee posted:

I haven't even bothered with guns in this new playthrough. I remember the rebar gun sucking and the rifle being worse. I just sprint with my giant sword and leap over them as they charge me. And just stock up on berries for the spitting ones.

I'm the only one in my 3-player game that uses the rifle because it honestly kinda sucks. It would be fine if ammo stacked up better and it didn't take so many goddamn resources for ammo, but here we are. Why does ammunition take a shitload of steel? Why do I need to use a quarter of a beacon for four measly bullets? Why can I only carry 50 caseless rounds in the same amount of space that I can carry 500 spools of wire the size of my torso?!

I know the answer to all of those,* I just don't like it.

*FICSIT, Inc® reserves the right to deny packages, support, or resources to any property found using non-FICSIT, Inc® construction methods on FICSIT, Inc® property.