Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

Thinking about picking up a CalDigit TS3 Plus dock, and Amazon has it for $279 while Apple has it for $249? WTF?

I've seen it as low as $229 on Amazon, maybe I'll just wait until then..

I would just get a Dell or Lenovo TB3 dock, CalDigit has been around for... three years? Really?

Data Graham posted:

I mean I dunno about you folks but

This seems like a fairly reasonable orientation for a human being to put their hand on a laptop

Now I suppose I'm about to discover I'm some kind of mutant, what, I put my hand on the computer palm side DOWN?????

Trap sprung, Thinkpad laptop user spotted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Hadlock posted:

I would just get a Dell or Lenovo TB3 dock, CalDigit has been around for... three years? Really?
They’ve been around for a while :confused:, looks like they’ve been around since 1999.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I couldn't find anything on their website dated prior to 2017

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

I just a couple of Windows VMs on my 16GB 2013 -- but mostly just for QAing the frontend of some non-resource intensive software, so 2GB per VM is fine, probably overkill. All depends on your use case.

Depends on what you're doing. My 2017 13" MBP runs a single VM like poo poo.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
VM performance on mac is so bad, (or maybe all my macs are slow) I just gave up and remote into an esxi box at work, and at home I run my hackintosh as a vm on linux just to run vms on linux instead of osx.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Perplx posted:

VM performance on mac is so bad, (or maybe all my macs are slow) I just gave up and remote into an esxi box at work, and at home I run my hackintosh as a vm on linux just to run vms on linux instead of osx.

It's just the low-power i5 CPU. My X260 runs them like equal poo poo. Like I thought for sure something was horribly wrong. Nope. Runs perfectly normal on my bigger Mac.

But yes Mac is slower than poo poo compared to the same machine running teh linux.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I've got a 16 GB 2015 rMBP with i7 (and dual core to boot) that runs multiple VMs (four at last count) in VMWare with no problem.

I did cheat and shove in a 2 TB SSD with a Chinese adapter to do it, though.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/02/24/mac-apple-designed-processor-2021/

ARM Mac(s) will be out first quarter of 2021, according to Ming Kuo, and he's fairly accurate..

The end of Intel supremacy for Macs? Who knows..

Gonna be interesting to see if anyone steps up to the plate to port ARM Linux..

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I guess i'll predict 3-5 years of Rosetta like crap until apps have been updated to work at native speed.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Uggggggghhhhh. No more Boot Camp may be a dealbreaker for me.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Are there are any interesting rumors for a new iMac being announced in March? I just sold off my 2013 Macbook and need a new Mac. I'm thinking I'll buy an iMac but I know they release new ones in March.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

The 12" MacBook/Air is the only thing that would make sense.

The 13" will be all new, the 16" just got refreshed, those are staying the way they are for 3+ years.

The iMac has to stay Intel (maybe they'll bring out a 20" model, but not the 27")

It would be so hilarious if Apple came out with a $899 ARM Tower that is the expandable Mac everyone wanted.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/02/07/custom-imac-macbook-pro-extended-delivery/

Delivery of BTO iMacs, iMac Pros, 13-inch rMBPs are being held back so that may mean new ones are due to be released real soon now, can you wait until end of March?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
My 16” just got delivered so look forward to that getting an update just outside my return window

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

phosdex posted:

Are there are any interesting rumors for a new iMac being announced in March? I just sold off my 2013 Macbook and need a new Mac. I'm thinking I'll buy an iMac but I know they release new ones in March.

My guess is June. There’s a somewhat silly leak of a guy behind cook at Apple using a larger iMac that people are pretty sure is a 32 inch.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Luceo posted:

Uggggggghhhhh. No more Boot Camp may be a dealbreaker for me.

ARM Windows!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Gay Retard posted:

ARM Windows!

The homeless first, please.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

https://appleinsider.com/articles/20/02/24/apple-will-soon-let-mac-pro-owners-install-their-own-chassis-wheels

Wowzers, Apple will soon sell the Mac Pro wheels as an aftermarket, user installable kit! For a price higher than getting tires for my old Crown Victoria.

RusteJuxx
Jul 14, 2001

College Slice

SourKraut posted:

What about the USB-C Pro dock? It has TB3, and when CalDigit has their usual sales, can be had for $160-180 usually. It doesn't have as many ports as the TS3, so that would be the only issue.
The TS3 Plus is the way to go for now if you have Catalina. We ran into an issue after I unfortunately bought a handful of the USB-C Pro docks where you can't get a second monitor to reliably show up when reconnecting when the laptop is already on. We first saw it on a MBP16 and thought it was maybe just an issue with that, but we replicated the issue going back a few model years with anything running Catalina. It's not just us seeing the issue either - there are tons of posts on the Apple forums and Reddit about it.

The TS3 Plus has an overheating issue with the MBP16s if you don't update the firmware, but that's the only issue I've seen here or read about. Caldigit released new firmware in December to address the issue.

I love the TS3 Plus, except for needing two different video output cables, and I've been using Caldigit as a brand for years now. Rock solid products in my experience.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Binary Badger posted:

https://appleinsider.com/articles/20/02/24/apple-will-soon-let-mac-pro-owners-install-their-own-chassis-wheels

Wowzers, Apple will soon sell the Mac Pro wheels as an aftermarket, user installable kit! For a price higher than getting tires for my old Crown Victoria.

Tires? You can buy actual car wheels for that price.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

So if we wind up getting ARM Macs how will that affect the state of gaming?

Will ARM Macs also get the GPU or will they do some kind of crap where the Mac gets an A14 but in order to keep the heat down they continue to rely (ha) on AMD Navi GPUs?

If they get the GPU then there's no excuse for not being able to code good 2D/3D games on the Mac.. or tvOS/iOS..

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Binary Badger posted:

Will ARM Macs also get the GPU or will they do some kind of crap where the Mac gets an A14 but in order to keep the heat down they continue to rely (ha) on AMD Navi GPUs?

If they get the GPU then there's no excuse for not being able to code good 2D/3D games on the Mac.. or tvOS/iOS..

Hope you enjoy mobile games.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

there's some good stuff on apple arcade but yeah that's all you'd be playing

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Binary Badger posted:

It's Apple

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

I'd like to think they'd confine the ARM processors to the plain Macbooks or the Airs, and leave the Pros alone, but I also wouldn't have imagined the 2016-18 MBPs ever being released, so...

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Binary Badger posted:

Theres nothing that runs on the switch (tegra x1) that wouldn't theoretically run substantially better on A-series hardware from 2016 or later.

The only thing keeping tier-1 games away from iOS at this point is Apple.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Theres nothing that runs on the switch (tegra x1) that wouldn't theoretically run substantially better on A-series hardware from 2016 or later.

The only thing keeping tier-1 games away from iOS at this point is Apple.

moving to a custom arm chip might be a boost to most mac's GPU abilities. Isn't the A series chip's GPU much faster than the intel iGPU? And that is before it could be coupled with a desktop/laptop cooling solution and/or scaled up for more cores and power.

edit

I don't think Apple's Game plan is making a AAA gaming system, I think their goal is to get the iOS games onto macOS.

badjohny fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Feb 26, 2020

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Just get a console what's the point of gaming on a desktop especially one that is antithetical to gaming culture.

With ARM Apple can at least avoid the 'should have went with the other x86 CPU brand' pitfall.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Seriously though. If the 13/14 inch MacBook Pro isn’t released in March I’m going to through a sulk.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Sri.Theo posted:

Seriously though. If the 13/14 inch MacBook Pro isn’t released in March I’m going to through a sulk.
Have you been following the news out of China lately?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

New hardware is going to get scarce in about three months once backstock begins running out

Someone elsewhere was pointing out that things like there's a three month supply of clothing in US warehouses right now

Foxconn (one of Apple's primary contract manufacturers) does have factories in Vietnam, Malaysia etc but those could be impacted any week now.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Hadlock posted:

New hardware is going to get scarce in about three months once backstock begins running out

Someone elsewhere was pointing out that things like there's a three month supply of clothing in US warehouses right now

Foxconn (one of Apple's primary contract manufacturers) does have factories in Vietnam, Malaysia etc but those could be impacted any week now.

It’s one of the reasons I’m
Probably going to grab the new iPhone 9. I figure new phones in the fall will be delayed, and my iPhone 6s+ is getting long in the tooth.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Linguica posted:

Have you been following the news out of China lately?

I didn’t think the manufacturing areas had been hit? That being said it’s a pretty good reason.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

japtor posted:

Hell I assumed dozens of stripped down VMs in 16GB was referring to Docker in the first place.

Docker on Mac runs in a single Linux vm, but this is using some tiny rear end virtual box stuff.

But yeah how many vms do u need to run???

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Exchanged my 128GB model for the 256GB Air. Much better.

Also I, at least temporarily, fixed my late 2009 iMac. If nothing else, it makes a good DVD player.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/connyash/status/1233037164843278343?s=21

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Just touched a 16"MBP for the first time. Why is the trackpad so big? I'm on a 2015, and I've never once thought 'Man! If only the trackpad were twice this size! I could really track with style!'

Like, your left palm is resting on it just to reach the spacebar. Weird.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

lord funk posted:

Just touched a 16"MBP for the first time. Why is the trackpad so big? I'm on a 2015, and I've never once thought 'Man! If only the trackpad were twice this size! I could really track with style!'

Like, your left palm is resting on it just to reach the spacebar. Weird.

The giant trackpad is cool and good. The real question is: Why is your trackpad so small?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Luv too have no dead space to rest my fingertips on below the spacebar anymore, and have my left thumb interfering with my pointer or just never use the space bar with my left thumb again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

You're fingering it wrong

(that's what she said before anyone else smartypants a comment)