Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Seems like we’re about at the same place. I’ve been slacking for a while, but I’m in like 74/75 and I’ve pretty much read everything in the main order, a bunch of war stuff, all of the hyperborian order, and any cool looking extended stuff. I comment on maybe a tenth of the books I read.

You have any favorites so far?

My biggest discoveries are Steranko, Lee / Kirby / Buscema / Adams Thor, Ditko Strange, and Jim Starlin cosmic.

Also Matt Fox, a really cool artist who did a bunch of golden age and marvel monster work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I'm surprised at how much I really enjoy the early stuff. the cosmic stuff with FF and Dr Strange has been great. I liked the Man Thing stories as well. I hadn't read these early title before so filling in the stories from Spider-Man, Avengers, Thor, Iron Man and Captain America have been really interesting and entertaining.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Digging through some old stuff and apparently Beta Ray Bill died and got put into a human body a la Donald Blake. Has that come up anywhere at all beyond that one issue?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Retro Futurist posted:

Digging through some old stuff and apparently Beta Ray Bill died and got put into a human body a la Donald Blake. Has that come up anywhere at all beyond that one issue?
That happened in the Beta Ray Bill: Stormbreaker mini-series written by Michael Avon Oeming, and was followed up on in the Omega Flight mini-series also by Oeming.

That series (which coincidentally to chat in the Marvel thread, featured Thunderball hanging with the other Wrecking Crew members, getting drunk, torturing Sasquatch while calling him a dumb mutt, laughing about murdering bartenders for playing Justin Timberlake songs) ended with Beta Ray Bill trapped in the Dimension of the Great Beasts fighting back an eternal invasion of Great Beasts in a montage that clearly seemed designed to set up an ongoing series or sequel.

That never happened, so the next time you see Bill he's being shot through space into Earth as a warning/threat during Secret Invasion. He gets his hammer back from the Skrulls in that mini-series and having a human host/being the only thing holding back a Great Beast Invasion is never mentioned again.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Just remembered after reading early Marvel I like the way Kirby draws his advanced machines.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bessantj posted:

Just remembered after reading early Marvel I like the way Kirby draws his advanced machines.

No one has ever drawn better tech than Jack Kirby.

Pat Mustard
Mar 9, 2013
That is true but if you saw a person with a face drawn by Kirby you'd run away screaming

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Pat Mustard posted:

That is true but if you saw a person with a face drawn by Kirby you'd run away screaming

And end up looking exactly like a character drawn by Kirby.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Pat Mustard posted:

I'd have to throw pieces of food at them to see if I could get it in their huge mouth.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

The only information about this kerfluffle I could find comes from an old Peter David column:

"Peter David, writer of stuff, is amused by the way that Wizard people and Comicfest people are each blaming the other for one of the most ill-advised ideas to hit a comic con since—well, ever, I think. Namely, a pamphlet handed out at the convention that graded comic pros in terms of popularity. I’m told it’s commonplace in baseball circles. Fine. So is jock itch. Doesn’t mean it should be carried over. Fortunately pros—especially those who didn’t rank A,B,C or D—tried not to take it seriously and mockingly took to wearing their letter designations (with the addition of “E,” for those not listed) on their badges."

Has anyone else even ever heard of this? I think I was still, sort of, paying attention to comics in '93 and I don't remember this at all.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I imagine there might be industry people from that time who might have held onto a copy and would be amenable to talking about it. I don't know how approachable PAD is?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Does cartoonist kayfabe talk about it during their coverage of that issue?

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Where is the best place to find out when the omnibus reprints for the year will be released? I'm wondering about all of those X-Men omnis that just got announced.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

It's not from a Wizard Magazine issue specifically, but a Wizard-produced program for Comicfest 93. I thought it was from this one, which was both handed out at the con and sold to comic shops:

but I found my copy and this one was made for the 1992 San Diego Comicon. I have a copy of the Comicfest 93 program on its way so I'll be able to give you everyone's rankings, but for now here's a contemporary account of the convention, including the TODD MCFARLANE VS. PETER DAVID DEBATE that was the thing that actually got the most attention coming out of the show.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Edge & Christian posted:

It's not from a Wizard Magazine issue specifically, but a Wizard-produced program for Comicfest 93. I thought it was from this one, which was both handed out at the con and sold to comic shops:

but I found my copy and this one was made for the 1992 San Diego Comicon. I have a copy of the Comicfest 93 program on its way so I'll be able to give you everyone's rankings, but for now here's a contemporary account of the convention, including the TODD MCFARLANE VS. PETER DAVID DEBATE that was the thing that actually got the most attention coming out of the show.

Figured out why, out of all the Image founders, Jim Lee is the one who ended up publisher of DC.

quote:

He [Peter David] also pointed out that he criticized Todd, Rob Liefeld and
Erik Larsen for making dumb statements, but never went after Jim Lee because Jim never said anything dumb. Todd replied that all the other Imageers regularly ride Jim for being so nice and being liked by
everyone, and that no one was going to break down the system by being liked. "Only at Image," Peter commented, "could being liked be
considered a downer."

Edit: This is pretty great too

quote:

After the debate, Peter had a bonus for his fans -- a videotape of
TRANCERS IV, starring Tim Thomerson, for which Peter wrote the
screenplay. Those not lucky enough to be there will have to wait until
January I believe, when it reaches your local video store.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Feb 24, 2020

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Oh man, I didn't realize there were videos extant of the "debate"!

Also it's George Pair-ez?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYYsLflp9gU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Edge & Christian posted:

What the gently caress?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Edge & Christian posted:

lol at the shirtless Todd McFarlane.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
This one is very much up to personal opinion, but I'm working on an art project of sorts, and I'm looking for inspiration. What I am seeking are comic covers that would lend themselves well to being displayed in a kind of 2.5D display. For example, Giant Sized X-men #1

I want to take images like this, break them in to layers as they are depicted here, and recreate them using resin and plastic sheets.

So, for example, I'd make one layer with the white background and the original team
Then a layer with the Title text and the blast out green background
Then a layer with the peeled back orange parts
Then the new x-men team
and finally the tag in the bottom left corner

That one is good because there are a lot of layers already there. If I get good at this I might even break it down further, put cyclops and thunderbird on their own layer, storm and nightcrawler on another layer and wolverine and colossus on the last layer.

Action Comics #1 is another pretty good one as is Amazing Fantasy #15, (and as I was typing this, Hulk number 1, with layers getting closer with Banner, or going backwards where banner is "far", and Hulk is "near") but I'm sure there are other really good examples that I can't really think of off the top of my head. First appearances and #1 issues are pretty good from my searches, but what are some favorite covers or panels that might lend themselves to this kind of treatment?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CzarChasm posted:

This one is very much up to personal opinion, but I'm working on an art project of sorts, and I'm looking for inspiration. What I am seeking are comic covers that would lend themselves well to being displayed in a kind of 2.5D display. For example, Giant Sized X-men #1

I want to take images like this, break them in to layers as they are depicted here, and recreate them using resin and plastic sheets.

So, for example, I'd make one layer with the white background and the original team
Then the new x-men team

That one is good because there are a lot of layers already there. If I get good at this I might even break it down further, put cyclops and thunderbird on their own layer, storm and nightcrawler on another layer and wolverine and colossus on the last layer.

Action Comics #1 is another pretty good one as is Amazing Fantasy #15, (and as I was typing this, Hulk number 1, with layers getting closer with Banner, or going backwards where banner is "far", and Hulk is "near") but I'm sure there are other really good examples that I can't really think of off the top of my head. First appearances and #1 issues are pretty good from my searches, but what are some favorite covers or panels that might lend themselves to this kind of treatment?

Kirby and Ditko art would probably lend itself to that pretty frequently. And I bet you could do something with the Professor Xavier is a jerk page.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Edge & Christian posted:

I've heard about this event for years. Now I have to watch it.

CzarChasm posted:

Crisis #7 comes to mind. There's a solid foreground and deep background.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
the she-hulk cover where shes tearing through the page

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Oh! Thor 337 could be pretty intriguing with this approach. You'd want to separate elements of Bill so that he his arm and Mjolnir are brought forward compared to the rest of his body but it could look pretty good. Similarly X-Men 135; basically any cover where someone is interacting with the logo could use that effect well.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

How about the classic "Flash of Two Worlds" cover, with the guy and the falling beam in the foreground and the Flashes coming up in the background?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

CzarChasm posted:

These two came immediately to mind (don't ask me why!) but I know there are a ton of worthy candidates.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Loving all the suggestions so far. Thanks all so much. Can't believe that Crisis 7 slipped my mind as that one is iconic and a favorite.

If anyone is interested I'll start a thread after I get going on the project and try and get some photos to show what I'm thinking.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Spider-Man suit in a trashcan cover (was that a cover or an interior?) could be really nice with some real distance between Peter and the suit.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

CzarChasm posted:

Then the new x-men team

Uncanny X-Men #141.
The iconic Days of a Future Past part 1 cover.

Have one layer as the wall with all the wanted posters of mutants. One layer of a shocked Kitty Pryde. One layer of pissed off old Wolverine.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Aphrodite posted:

The Spider-Man suit in a trashcan cover (was that a cover or an interior?) could be really nice with some real distance between Peter and the suit.

It was an interior to Amazing Spider-Man #50 but the cover had him walking towards the viewer away from Spider-Man with his back to us.

This one would be really hard to do and seems to demand real 3D and not 2.5D since the elements aren't in discrete layers but thinking about this discussion makes me appreciate the cover to Amazing #23 even more. I've always loved this cover but now I can see how good Ditko was at creating depth. From the pipe and Spider-Man's feet in the foreground, to his torso and head, then back to Green Goblin, and the distant machinery, there are several layers here but the webbing wraps around and connects the layers with a flourish.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Feb 25, 2020

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Who are the artists in mainstream comics that have more distinctive/recognizable styles? Unlike webcomics and foreign comics, like from France or Japan, I have a hard time distinguishing different artists in American comics.

I do wonder if it’s just me not being very familiar with them, but it often seems to me that American comics have very homogeneous art

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

thetoughestbean posted:

Who are the artists in mainstream comics that have more distinctive/recognizable styles? Unlike webcomics and foreign comics, like from France or Japan, I have a hard time distinguishing different artists in American comics.

I do wonder if it’s just me not being very familiar with them, but it often seems to me that American comics have very homogeneous art

If you are talking about mainstream superhero comics, at different times the different big publishers had a house style that they pushed to varying degrees, but there's always been people who break out of that. I'm much more familiar with the marvel side, but most big artists have worked at both Marvel and DC.

Off the top of my head some artists with distinctive enough styles I can either recognize their work or another artist is biting heavily from their style:
Bill Sienkiewicz
Mike Allred
Amanda Conner
Walt Simonson
Frank Miller
Jack Kirby
Steve Ditko
David Aja
Alex Maleev
Alex Ross
Mark Bagley
Steve Dillon

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Greg Land

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ugh. I hate that this is accurate.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Skwirl posted:

If you are talking about mainstream superhero comics, at different times the different big publishers had a house style that they pushed to varying degrees, but there's always been people who break out of that. I'm much more familiar with the marvel side, but most big artists have worked at both Marvel and DC.

Off the top of my head some artists with distinctive enough styles I can either recognize their work or another artist is biting heavily from their style:
Bill Sienkiewicz
Mike Allred
Amanda Conner
Walt Simonson
Frank Miller
Jack Kirby
Steve Ditko
David Aja
Alex Maleev
Alex Ross
Mark Bagley
Steve Dillon

Skwirl posted:

Bill Sienkiewicz
Mike Allred
Amanda Conner
Walt Simonson
Frank Miller
Jack Kirby
Steve Ditko
David Aja
Alex Maleev
Alex Ross
Mark Bagley
Steve Dillon

I did mean American Superhero comics, I should have been more clear. Do you mind posting some examples of some of those artists’ works? I’m really only familiar with Ditko, Kirby, Miller, and Sienkiewicz.

Really, with Sienkiewicz, I’m only familiar with Warlock

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
im only aware of 4 artists but all american cape comics looks the same is an underused troll, havent seen that one in a while

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

site posted:

im only aware of 4 artists but all american cape comics looks the same is an underused troll, havent seen that one in a while

I wasn’t trying to troll, I was genuinely trying to start a conversation and find out more about artists in the industry. I’m sorry if I’m not following unwritten rules about comics posting etiquette, but I don’t see why you need to be so drat aggressive

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I'd suggest checking out the Good/Bad Comic Art thread for a lot of examples that are, for better or worse, singular.

Anyway for a few artists I like and find immediately distinctive:
Derek Charm

(Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #44

Rod Reis

(New Mutants (2019) #1

Chris Samnee

Daredevil (2011) #2

Kris Anka

Ruunaways (2017) #3

Jacob Wyatt

Ms. Marvel #6

Emma Rios

Amazing Spider-Man #700.3

Gurihiru

Superman Smashes the Klan #3
(kind of a dodgy answer to your question since Gurihiru is a Japanese duo, albeit one that largely works in American comics)

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Mar 1, 2020

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Oh man that dinosaur playing drums from Runaways is delightful.

I’ll check out the art thread, thanks for the recommendation!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Phone posting from bed at 630am so no pics and probably misspelled names but some that haven't been mentioned yet

Mike deodato
Christian ward
Del mundo
Brittney Williams
Ghost panther person
Jen bartel
Lenil Francis yu
Marco chechetto (old man Logan)
Russell dauterman
The Naomi person
Darwyn Cooke (rip)
Margarete sauvage (bombshells)
Stephanie Hans
Legend of wonder woman person
Jessica Jones person
Elsa charrtier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

thetoughestbean posted:

Maybe a productive addition to the question so you don't get a list of literally a thousand names of people with distinct art styles is

a) What webcomics/non-American comics/etc. do you enjoy for their distinct art styles
b) What American comics have you read where all of the art looks the same?

I feel like if you think Ditko/Kirby/Miller/Sienkiewicz all sort of blended together with everyone else doing superhero comics, trying to give examples of how Dan Jurgens and Kevin Nowlan and Sal Buscema and Bill Sienkiewicz all have distinct art styles (and how sometimes they work together to interest effect) might not be productive.